155 posts
Thanks Meter: 32

By Taifuuni89, Senior Member on 4th August 2010, 08:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th October 2010, 09:56 AM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
The touch doesnt work????
So I bought the screen from ebay, the digitizer and all that, and I let a local mobile shop fix it for me. What happened is that they installed the screen, and it looked alright, but the touch didn't work! What's up with that?????

They said they wanted to give it an swupdate, but I don't think it has anything to do with that. What u think????

19th October 2010, 07:41 PM |#102  
OP Senior Member

More
I think that they broke the sensors. They are very fragile and are easily damaged when screen is being removed. I hope they gave you some warranty for their work. Someone else could disagree with my opinion.
20th October 2010, 09:22 AM |#103  

More
Are the sensor located on the screen or phone? The only way is to buy a new screen or what?? Maybe I can try to reassemble it myself?
20th October 2010, 10:23 AM |#104  
Flag Cambridge
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm

Has anyone in the UK or Ireland used the services of FoneFunShop?

They are selling replacment screen/digitizers for £22.97:

And for £39.99 you can have it fitted by them!:

Sounds a bit too good to be true. Has anyone had any dealings with them?

I haven't dealt with them yet, but they've got quite good reviews:
w w w .reviewcentre.com/reviews151960.html
20th October 2010, 02:08 PM |#105  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saha91

Are the sensor located on the screen or phone? The only way is to buy a new screen or what?? Maybe I can try to reassemble it myself?

Sensors are not located in the screen. There is a separate part which includes those button sensors. Link to a site where you can buy that part is already posted in this topic.
21st October 2010, 10:14 AM |#106  
Flag Brussel
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Well, i think my sensors are dead, G-Sensor and Compass not responding anymore...

When i got my phone back yesterday i straight flashed froyo and voodoo, and noticed the G-Sensor isn't working anymore when tried to view market in landscape mode, it didn't respond, so i tried composing a message with handcent, didn't respond either, and then i downloaded 3D compass, it doesn't work either....

tried to recalibrate with the tool built in and it dont want to work :

Quote:

su
# /system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha
/system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha
=====================================
Sensor Calibration Utilities
Copyright (c) 2009 Yamaha Corporation
=====================================
Starting calibration utilities...

Starting measurement of the G-Sensor's fine offset...
To operate manual calibration of the acceleration sensor,
place your phone horizontally and set still.

Hit Enter key to continue:

fgets: Unknown error: 0
msmachdep_SaveGsOffset failed
calibration utilities failed
#

I'm gonna try to flash JM8 and JM9 to see if it change something (it was working before i broke my screen in JM9, so, maybe...)

Edit: Yeah, forget about it, reflashed JM8, then wipe data, wipe cache, than flash JP6, then wipe data, wipe cache, and everything was okay
21st October 2010, 03:30 PM |#107  

More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkala89

Sensors are not located in the screen. There is a separate part which includes those button sensors. Link to a site where you can buy that part is already posted in this topic.

My bottom buttons work, home, back and settings. But the upper screen is totally dead. Guess you've diagnosed it already, so what do you think I need? On the dutch site I found something called: Samsung I9000 Galaxy S Sensor Flex Cable Incl. Earpiece.

Is that what I need?
22nd October 2010, 10:43 AM |#108  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saha91

My bottom buttons work, home, back and settings. But the upper screen is totally dead. Guess you've diagnosed it already, so what do you think I need? On the dutch site I found something called: Samsung I9000 Galaxy S Sensor Flex Cable Incl. Earpiece.

Is that what I need?

Do you mean the front speaker, proximity sensor etc. ?
22nd October 2010, 04:08 PM |#109  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer

that doesn't make any sense at all, the phones screens are super strong and anti scratch out of the box from factory without any add-on.

if you cracked yours like you described, you must to have put it over a very hot surface, or with saline/acidic solution.

i've seen the video where the guy repeatedly intentionally drop the screen with no problem, until he tried to smash it over 1.5m high, anything less than 1.0 drop is safe for the screen.

i can see why samsung doesn't believe you, as it's physically imposible for it to break in the way you described it.

all that aside, if you can find a replacement screen, usually it is a plug and play piece.

i've done many of those on my old Treo and Blackberry phones, the SGS will be no different.

To all those with broken screens, yo`ll find enjoyble this post..
27th October 2010, 07:14 AM |#110  
Flag Montréal
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonci

To all those with broken screens, yo`ll find enjoyble this post..

Yes but it's true. I got my screen shattered and I replaced it succesfuly but once the screen was broken I tried to scratch it with a screw driver on the upper portion still intact.

Guess what...impossible to scratch it. I was unable to make a mark on the glass with my screw driver. (I should have taken it on video) So the screen is really scratch proof but not shattering proof. Dropping it from a good height good make it crack but you won't scratch it in your pocket or on the kitchen table.
28th October 2010, 02:33 PM |#111  

More
Saturday I went to look at my phone but noticed the screen was cracked and would not display anything. But thanks to this thread and Orcie’s guide I managed to replace the screen on my Samsung Galaxy S.

To replace my broken screen I removed the backplate, SIM card and SD card. Then I put my phone down on a towel and unscrewed the 6 screws on the back and removed the back. Then I disconnected the screen cable next to the SD card slot and laid the phone on it's back. I then used a guitar pick to remove the broken screen starting at the middle top working towards the edges and down towards the buttons. To remove the 2 buttons from the screen I used a hair dyer to heat the glue and slowly used a guitar pick to pry them off. Then once the screen was off I cleaned the glue off the phone using a flat head screwdriver and wiped the area with isopropyl alcohol. I placed the screen on the phone and plugged the screen cable in next to the SD card, put the battery in and turned it on to test the screen before gluing anything. I then turned it off, removed the battery, unplugged the screen cable and removed the screen. Then I glued the buttons down with Unibond Repair Extreme, placed some Unibond Repair Extreme where the screen was located and pulled the adhesive backing off the replacement screen and laid it down on the phone making sure it was in the right place and then pushed down. I then turned the phone over onto the front and put the back on and screwed the 6 screws back into place. I then put the battery, SIM card, SD card in the phone and placed the backplate on. I powered up the phone and tested everything to make it sure worked and left it over night for the glue set.

I bought the replacement screen from eBay seller dmrp for £38.69 with free postage and the Unibond Repair Extreme from my local Robert Dyas.
The replacement screen appears to work fine but does not have the Samsung text at the top of the screen.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)