155 posts
Thanks Meter: 32

By Taifuuni89, Senior Member on 4th August 2010, 08:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th August 2010, 03:29 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Got my digitizer and amoled screen t
oday. I will report back if its a hard job or not to replace it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

12th August 2010, 06:10 PM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrizan

Got my digitizer and amoled screen t
oday. I will report back if its a hard job or not to replace it.

I tried to remove broken screen for 2 hours and no luck. Removing the motherboard is problematic because power button is glued to the chassis so I could only turn the motherboard aside and not remove it completely. I tried also to remove metal edge but I could only separate it from the left and right edge, not from top and bottom. I hope you have better luck and report how you managed to overcome my problems.
12th August 2010, 06:23 PM |#13  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkala89

I tried to remove broken screen for 2 hours and no luck. Removing the motherboard is problematic because power button is glued to the chassis so I could only turn the motherboard aside and not remove it completely. I tried also to remove metal edge but I could only separate it from the left and right edge, not from top and bottom. I hope you have better luck and report how you managed to overcome my problems.

Sorry to say got in to the same problems
Looks like the phone is build around the screen. Be careful with the metal ring, on top and bottom its between the screen and chassis, so if you brute force to much the screen cracks even more. The screen is glued to the chassis all around with superglue. I am not sure if its even possible to repalce the screen. It let me thinking that samsung wont repair broken galaxys , just replace them.

Ill keep working on the phone and keep trying, but compared to changing the screen on iphone is this like changing the screen on a iphone as a blind man without arms.

People thinking of buying this screen kit on eBay, don't do it. Just contact samsung for a repair.

Ill keep you posted.
12th August 2010, 06:57 PM |#14  

More
I got the screen off.
No need to loosen the metaling ring around. The screen in dropped in the chassis from the front.
On the mainboard, just pop off the screen cable, long and flat next to the SD card slot.

The next step is very strange, just use brute force and crack the screen off the chassis, start from the top

When you get around the home button, be careful. Samsung has clued 2 sensors to the screen and chassis for back and option button. Best thing to do here is bend the screen back a little and cut loos the sensors from the digitizer with a sharp knife/scalpel. Samsung has used insane amount of clue on this phone.

Both the digitizer and amoled screen was clued to the chassis.

The next step is to clean off all the clue, buy loads of glue. Fill the chassis with glue and press the new screen on.

Wish me luck.

Ill keep you posted.
12th August 2010, 08:37 PM |#15  

More
Making me a bit scared reading this thread, I`ve just bought phone Insurance just in case.Good luck fitting your replacement screens, sounds a bit daunting.
12th August 2010, 08:37 PM |#16  

More
YES!!!

New screen in place and everything is working perfectly. Took about 3 hours first time (give or take). Its possible to do it a lot faster. The biggeste problem is the glue. Melting at about 120 celsius, but i was scared to heat the glas as i didnt know how much heat the mainbord could stand. All in all a pain in the a**, but doable.

I can also confirm this screen from ebay to be an orginal samsung amoled screen.

Best of luck too others trying a screen replace.

12th August 2010, 10:08 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
amoled or samoled though?
12th August 2010, 10:31 PM |#18  

More
My mistake. Its a samoled screen

12th August 2010, 11:23 PM |#19  
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 1,640

Donate to Me
More
Awesome!!! thanks for the review

did you manage to snap a few pictures meanwhile you were working in your phone?
13th August 2010, 08:29 AM |#20  

More
Im sorry, no pictures
The charger is missing to my canon camera, new one incomming from ebay. I'll post pictures next time ill change the screen ;)

13th August 2010, 11:27 AM |#21  

More
Congratulations that you repaired it well.
What did you use for heating the front panel? And about that old display, were both components (SAMOLED panel and glass digitezer) glued to each other? My point is that I got there little dust i would like to remove it, so is it possible or it's demountable unit.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)