Text Editor on Android...

Search This thread

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
... with a search feature. Does it exist?

I'm currently using Text Edit, but it's pretty horrible for large text files, and doesn't have searching. I use Vi sometimes, but that's just a pita.

Anyone know of a free text editor with search capabilities?

Last edited:

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
I gotta say, vi, though even more vim (the "enhanced" version) is probably one of the very best (if not ABSOLUTELY the best) text editors ever written. Yes, it does have a *VERY* steep learning curve, but when you really get to know it well, there is absolutely no faster or more powerful way of editing text files.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Vi.

Does anyone know any other alternatives? Perhaps, is there a way to use nano?

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Is there *ANY* other way to edit a text document aside from Text Edit and Vi??

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
documents to go?
quickoffice?

QuickOffice can only open/view files; it cannot edit at all. And Documents to Go is too expensive for my budget. (I only need .txt file editing anyway.)

I guess I should rephrase: Is there ANY other FREE way to edit a text document on the G1 aside from Text Edit and Vi? :)

Are the text editing options on the G1 really that limited?

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
Pick your favorite open source console text editor and compile it for arm.

rondey-

Mar 3, 2009
Fort Worth
www.myspace.com
I have done some searching, I cant find a text editor that I like. I would like one that can run with SU privileges so I can modify scripts I keep in /system/sd. If I need to I can remount it so that it would save, that wouldnt be a big deal, I would just like to not have to move them to my sdcard, edit, then move back.

I am also not familiar with linux so vi isnt for me if that would work, just looking for a decent alternative with a GUI if possible.

glock30

Feb 3, 2009
So Cal
Somebody please compile nano... If I knew how to do it... I would... but I'm too noob for the instructions that were given a few posts back... :D

skrki

Sep 1, 2009
Canberra
ES File explorer

For editing text files you could use ES File explorer. I found I was able to open, edit and save my userinit.sh and user.conf. This is quite enough for me! :)
Sure enough, it is not able to open /system/sd, but it's ok, because you can copy the files from the terminal. You could even make a simple script that would do it for you..
Until someone compiles nano or vim ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: alanthehat

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ES File explorer

For editing text files you could use ES File explorer. I found I was able to open, edit and save my userinit.sh and user.conf. This is quite enough for me! :)
    Sure enough, it is not able to open /system/sd, but it's ok, because you can copy the files from the terminal. You could even make a simple script that would do it for you..
    Until someone compiles nano or vim ;)
    I'm bringing this thread back from the dead simply because this thread is the first Google result from XDA for text editors, and the discussion here is the exact one that was going on in my head (around vi and nano). I eventually found 920 Text Editor, which has programmatic syntax highlighting, root mode, and is free:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jecelyin.editor

Thanks,
    Ben