Same ol' Same ol'

Search This thread

johnny quest

Jul 2, 2010
Port Saint Lucie
I have a question: why is it that every rom, every new OS all the icons stays the same? Why don't these companies or rom developers just create a whole new icon set? Yes, I know that I can install a launcher and get new icons but I like to just leave the phone just the way it is without installing a launcher and then installing sets of icons. Samsung is the same, KiKat is the same as way back to eclair. No difference. Its just the same ol' same ol' boring icons.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Its one of those, "if it ain't broke" things I guess. It seems to me a lot of folks think they nailed it back on ics, so they are sorta sticking to a lot of that and introducing changes a little at a time. Kk for example does have a different look in some areas such as the status bar and notification area. I also think that most significant changes will be made for different devices. The average person using their S3 for the past 2 years may not want all different icons when they update. They expect to only have to relearn what's what when getting a new device.
Thats a theory anyway...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

allendj81

Sep 26, 2010
LBC, CA
Its one of those, "if it ain't broke" things I guess. It seems to me a lot of folks think they nailed it back on ics, so they are sorta sticking to a lot of that and introducing changes a little at a time. Kk for example does have a different look in some areas such as the status bar and notification area. I also think that most significant changes will be made for different devices. The average person using their S3 for the past 2 years may not want all different icons when they update. They expect to only have to relearn what's what when getting a new device.
Thats a theory anyway...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

You have done great things with the 4.3 update, the themes are freaking awesome to change the stock-flat-boring icons from TW. Personally, Im using the AOSP theme on the TW launcher, love that combo! Thanks for giving us taste of KK with your sprint port. Can wait for you to mess with the KK update we will be getting soon. Oh, and I have a request for your future KK rom, include the AOSP theme or the option to use the google launcher like you did on 4.3 :highfive::highfive::highfive:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Actually, I cannot take credit for all of that! If I am not mistaken you are referring to the StockMod rom right? Pretty much the entire rom is the work of @saranhai. All due credit goes to him for that one! And I am certain he will be hard at work on it too.
We just got wifi working, so if we can get screen rotation solved, it wouldn't surprise me if he rebased using my port!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: allendj81

johnny quest

Jul 2, 2010
Port Saint Lucie
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. its just that, if you build a rom couldn't the icons be replaced to make it a bit different? I do like the flat samsung icons even though they still look the same, its just flat. I don't like using launchers any more because most of them need to install lots of widgets in order to complete the launcher and then when I install another rom then I have to do that all over again. Thats why I gave up on launchers.

Your roms are great and I love them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that most KK roms gets boring with the same look. I know that there's some that offer more features in settings, but they still look the same in general. I mean, they still using the same stock messaging icon since the beginning of Android, time for a change.

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
First, admittedly, KK has switched back to drab White over black icons which are not exactly appealing. So I will grant you that. Secondly When it comes to icons, you do have to edit the actual app APK in order to change or replace the icon. That is if you don't want to replace the laucher. There are inherent problems and a ton of time editing the APKs not to mention copyright issues.

If you are not wanting a Launcher change then you can go for either a lightweight launcher with theaming support (Such as Apex) and you can apply Themes. Otherwise you can go for De-Odexed Roms that are skinnable and highly customizable. AOKP (Unicorn) and Pacman come to mind.

Do know there are projects here on XDA such as Team Blackout who invert Google Apps and other apps.

Reactions: johnny quest

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
You can't expect OEMs to design new icons every time they push a new update.. And from eclair to KK, I've had a Samsung eclair device and the icons look way better with kk, don't know what you mean that they look the same.. You can use an xposed module to change icon themes on any launcher even stock, gravity box or wanam modules to add mods and change a little appearance, there's flashable themes.. I don't see a reason to rant about this

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Actually, I cannot take credit for all of that! If I am not mistaken you are referring to the StockMod rom right? Pretty much the entire rom is the work of @saranhai. All due credit goes to him for that one! And I am certain he will be hard at work on it too.
    We just got wifi working, so if we can get screen rotation solved, it wouldn't surprise me if he rebased using my port!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    First, admittedly, KK has switched back to drab White over black icons which are not exactly appealing. So I will grant you that. Secondly When it comes to icons, you do have to edit the actual app APK in order to change or replace the icon. That is if you don't want to replace the laucher. There are inherent problems and a ton of time editing the APKs not to mention copyright issues.

If you are not wanting a Launcher change then you can go for either a lightweight launcher with theaming support (Such as Apex) and you can apply Themes. Otherwise you can go for De-Odexed Roms that are skinnable and highly customizable. AOKP (Unicorn) and Pacman come to mind.

Do know there are projects here on XDA such as Team Blackout who invert Google Apps and other apps.