Bionic JB Update File 98.72.22

Search This thread

SCFirefighter

Oct 14, 2012
Talk about a short attention span. Holy hell people. Be glad we got ICS and now JB :rolleyes:
This is probably the end of the line for the Bionic as far as software updates go, but it'll be good for another year if not longer for me personally.

neo1738

Nov 24, 2010
The same is happening for me. Phone just reboots as it normally would.

I have the same issue too, and if i didn't root before, I just move the package to external SD?

I downloaded the update unzipped it then created a folder on my SD card called SD-ext then copied the files into that folder and rebooted, but my Bionic just boots normal. Why does it not recognize the update?

I think a step is missing in the initial instructions. Would one go into stock recovery and then choose the file?

while effort is commendable, I think you all over thought the process.

Also to note, you must be on stock rom, you can't install this via SS or BS like a Rom update.

1) Download file

2) Put file (as is, do NOT unzip) onto the external SD card. If transferring from computer this will just be a drive under my computer. If doing it from phone than put it to the root of SD-External.

3) Reboot normally.

let me know if you still have issues. i'm not a dev but might be able to help.

aristontyler

May 24, 2010
Help a noob

Can I use this method? I am rooted with ICS, system version 6.7.230.XT875, Android Version 4.0.4, kernal version 3.0.8-gfe28dfa, build number 6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-7.

Sorry for the overkill of information, I'm just not sure what is needed. Am I able to do this? I don't want to brick my phone.

Thanks all!

neo1738

Nov 24, 2010
Can I use this method? I am rooted with ICS, system version 6.7.230.XT875, Android Version 4.0.4, kernal version 3.0.8-gfe28dfa, build number 6.7.2-223_DBN_M4-7.

Sorry for the overkill of information, I'm just not sure what is needed. Am I able to do this? I don't want to brick my phone.

Thanks all!

No this will not work. You MUST Be on .246 for this to work. You will have to FXZ or RSDlite back to stock .246 to update to JB.

Sqwaller

Oct 23, 2008
same problem here, zip file put on SD external and phone just starts as normal, tried rooted, and temp unrooted, made no difference. tried to use the system update utility built into ICS but it just tells me phone is up to date. is there a folder this zip file needs to be in or just the root directory of the SD external card?
Thank You for all your help, keep in mind I am not upset in the least it is interesting to me that some work and some do not, I am just havign fun using a sick day just for this hehe.:cyclops:

BBQnBEER

Apr 30, 2012
Here are the things I've done

Saved file to root of SD-Ext
unzipped to root of SD-ext
saved to root of SD-Card

neo1738

Nov 24, 2010
same problem here, zip file put on SD external and phone just starts as normal, tried rooted, and temp unrooted, made no difference. tried to use the system update utility built into ICS but it just tells me phone is up to date. is there a folder this zip file needs to be in or just the root directory of the SD external card?
Thank You for all your help, keep in mind I am not upset in the least it is interesting to me that some work and some do not, I am just havign fun using a sick day just for this hehe.:cyclops:

You can try to reboot into stock recovery, then choose update from .zip and choose the update file.

To get into stock recovery hold both volume keys while powering on. Use volume down to scroll through options then volume up (or power button tap can't remember) to select.

maches

Feb 13, 2013
Neither links in the OP are not working for me.

Got the second link working. Just needed to disable cookies.

Last edited:

BBQnBEER

Apr 30, 2012
You can try to reboot into stock recovery, then choose update from .zip and choose the update file.

To get into stock recovery hold both volume keys while powering on. Use volume down to scroll through options then volume up (or power button tap can't remember) to select.

When I try going to recovery I get the dead guy with a red triangle and an exclamation point.

BBQnBEER

Apr 30, 2012
That is ok, hit both volume keys again it should get you into recovery. Btw do you have Safestrap or Bootstrap enabled? Have you ever romed?

Ok thats where I was missing a step.

Nope I FXZ'd Friday so I could hopefully avoid any problems. Im stock with root and that's it.

It's installing now. Fingers crossed

Thanks

SyCoREAPER

Retired Forum Moderator
Ew.. Its only 4.1.2? That's disappointingly crappy of them. Another half-@$$3d favor/move by Motorola.

I move it to the external sd card, but I'm not getting a pop up window. Now I am sad on the inside. I cant get that jelly bean goodness.

You obviously didn't read the whole post. Since you didnt read the whole post and don't know how to install it, I hope you understand what you are getting into.

Sent from my XT875 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Groid

May 7, 2010
5C0DBB6ADAA5BACD662F3E8879B3795E

I got this on two different download sites. The files match the above checksum.

Reactions: Tomsgt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone, here is the Bionic JB Update file.
    Steps for those that don't know.

1) You can be rooted an install this. Please use OTA Rootkeeper and protect root before install. It is not necessary to "temp unroot."

2) If you have SS or BS recovery installed that needs to be uninstalled. Simply open the app and click "uninstall recovery." You do not have to delete the app just remove the recovery. You can NOT install this using custom recovery as far as I know, uninstall using stock rom --> SS (or BS) app and click "uninstall recovery"

3) Download the file, then load onto the root of the external SD card.

4) Boot into stock recovery:

To get into stock recovery hold both volume keys while holding power on. Use volume down to scroll through options then volume up (or power button tap can't remember) to select. If you get red triangle don't worry, just hit both volume keys again you should get recovery menu.

5) Select update from .zip, find the Blur.....875.zip you downloaded to the root of SD card and select update from that.

6) Enjoy official JB support.

Install errors

If you get failed to install side load error 7 or similar you most likely have one of these problems.

1) Edited build.prop previously --> Fix: Get stock build prop (future reference: Always keep copies of anything you change!)
    2) You are trying to install over custom recovery or on top of a stock rom but on a custom recovery partition --> Fix: Wipe partitions, reboot into stock, open SS or BS and click "uninstall custom recovery"
    3) You froze or removed system apps including bloatware--> Fix: Replace stock apps or unfreeze them.

P.S. Large update it's over 300 mbs. And for those that say "it's only .246" Motorola calls the new update what you are upgrading FROM not to.

Original Link: REMOVED SO I CAN USE DROP BOX AGAIN

UPDATED LINK 2: http://mikecheat.com/Bionic_JB_98.72.22.zip Thank you to mikecheat04 for this direct download link! Fastest link as of yet, hosted on private server.

UPDATED LINK 3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kntdddlgisidsxt/Blur_Version.6.7.246.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip Thank you to ChevyNovaLN!

UPDATED LINK 4: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_2pChWglwHMdkNlTHpLRGdwbTQ/edit?usp=sharing Thank you to guitsol93!

UPDATED LINK 5: http://www.mediacoronline.com/bionic_jb_987222.html Thank you PeterbDowell1967!

If you see someone who helped share this please give them a "thanks".

We have enough direct and bit torrent files. Thank you to those that submitted!

Bit Torrent: Please see attachment.
    Another download link

I'm hosting the files on one of my companies non-production servers. It doesn't have any limits that I know of but see if you can find one, if you break it I'll send you a bill :p

http://cptel.me/mikestuff/Bionic_JB_98.72.22.zip

PS. I've installed the update on my Bionic without issue. I'll use as I always have a report back with any issues. So far it does seem more responsive.

Thank you for sharing this file!

EDIT:
    Feel free to add it to the OP
    downloaded but I can't seem to get it to flash
    Turn your phone on, pull the battery. Do that 4 times and then, after booting your phone for the 5th time hold the search button while you go to the toilet.
    If that doesn't work, please let us know what error you get so we can take it from there.
    Good luck!
    Great OS, Missing Pieces.

Hello Everybody,

Thank you very, very, much goes out to the people who made this update possible, long before Verizon would have gotten it to my phone. I copied the information to my External SD card, booted the Android Menu, and went right to installing/flashing the update. Everything worked out perfectly, no issues, no error messages, so I know it's the correct update. After installing, wiping cache, and factory resetting I dove right into the new OS.

Sadly there are a few things missing. The new "OmniBox" is no where to be seen. It's just the same "Google Search" widget, only white colored rather than black. I really like the Omnibox and being able to search from any home screen. You still can't customize your lock screen, which means you get the same 4 standard icons to unlock into. I can't unlock directly into Google Now, which means no access to Google Now from the Lockscreen, kind of pointless if I still have to unlock my phone to perform a simple search, or to get to the calculator that I use most often. The notification are isn't nearly as updated as they said it would be. I should be able to have power settings, wifi settings, sound settings, etc...right in the display area. Still have to open notification, click settings icon, then find the settings to change.

The new JB is absolutely faster and smoother than ICS. The swiping between screens is noticeably better than before. I love the new notification menu that allows me to respond to messages from my lock screen. There are plenty of new goodies in the camera, including a new ugly icon that makes it look like a brown suitcase, or a camera from the early 1900's, I haven't decided which yet. I haven't had a chance to test out the supposed fixes in signal issues/quality, or the 4GLTE/3G/Wifi handling that was said to improve in this update, mainly because it's the first day.

Pros: Faster, noticeably faster, Smoother transitions, load times are quicker, responding to messages from Notification drop down makes using a little easier.

Cons: None of the "Eye Candy" supposedly included in JellyBean such as the "Omnibox", "PhotoSphere", No Custom Lockscreens, no new "Smart Keyboard" to replace "Swype" like they said was going to happen, sad because I preferred that keyboard over Swype. No direct access to Google Now from Lockscreen, no "Lockscreen Wallpaper" vs "Homescreen Wallpaper".

Bottom Line: A little faster, same old ugly screens, no way to customize your phone, still looks like the same ICS, only a little faster and more responsive. IMHO I think we waited to long for almost nothing, barely any improvements overall.

I hope this post will shed some light on the update we're getting. I want people to know what they're actually getting before they make the leap into this update. I'm seriously hoping they will push an update to JB 4.2 since it's technically a JB build and they should support JB fully, not just give us half an OS. I will continue to monitor the workings of the phone over the next couple of months before deciding if I should buy a new phone or not.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this new OS update.

Best Regards,
    CAMarsh1987