Easy Root for Bionic Stock 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)

Search This thread

jumphour

Mar 10, 2011
CT
There were a couple of things that I added to the script in the latest version. One or both of them may have helped your situation:

1) I added some logic to re-install Superuser.apk if the command that does the initial install of Superuser fails.

2) The original exploit by Dan Rosenberg tries to run the exploit from /storage/rfs0. Based on feedback from several users, the Samba share is not always mounted to that location on the phone, which will cause the exploit to fail when the script attempts to run it. I added logic that will find the 'pwn' executable, and execute it from the proper path.

No, the one that I actually got to work was the version before the latest one....the one with MYGROUP all in caps in the instructions. I really have no idea why the newest one didn't work. I wish I wrote down the line where the newest one failed. Seeing as it took me hours, it most certainly could be a user error. LOL But I saved that 2nd to last version, just in case.

marty45714

Feb 21, 2011
Link to new version of file added to original post. I added some lines to the script to stress the importance of pressing one of the three hardware buttons on the phone (Volume up, Volume Down, or Power) once the exploit has been executed. After discussing this with the author of the exploit, this is an important step to obtaining root.

Reactions: MNEman13

Trifool

Feb 19, 2013
Silicon Valley
Transfer taken but now just sitting

Good evening,

I have attempted to root my Bionic tonite by using Marty's exploit to gain Root. I installed the VirtualBox Manager and the OVA file. I followed the instructions and everything went fine. I made sure that I had USB debugging checked and my phone set for MTP. I hit enter. I received "daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037". Then I received "daemon started successfully. I show that I have 7 files in Remote storages>storage>rfs0 and all dated 4/22/2013. The files are:

adb.linux
avd.osx
busybox
pwn
run.sh
su
Superuser.apk

Now the Linux terminal has a blinking cursor under the "daemon started successfully" and has been sitting for about 15 minutes. There has been no activity on my phone since I verified the it was set to MTP.

So I am looking for some assistance on what I should do.

Thank you,,,,,

egnagrah

Feb 28, 2011
Good evening,

I have attempted to root my Bionic tonite by using Marty's exploit to gain Root. I installed the VirtualBox Manager and the OVA file. I followed the instructions and everything went fine. I made sure that I had USB debugging checked and my phone set for MTP. I hit enter. I received "daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037". Then I received "daemon started successfully. I show that I have 7 files in Remote storages>storage>rfs0 and all dated 4/22/2013. The files are:

adb.linux
avd.osx
busybox
pwn
run.sh
su
Superuser.apk

Now the Linux terminal has a blinking cursor under the "daemon started successfully" and has been sitting for about 15 minutes. There has been no activity on my phone since I verified the it was set to MTP.

Thank you,,,,,

Is this where you press a hardware button on the phone? I am trying to learn about this before doing it, so I can only guess...

Trifool

Feb 19, 2013
Silicon Valley
Is this where you press a hardware button on the phone? I am trying to learn about this before doing it, so I can only guess...

I thought of that and tried pushing the volume up/down and also tapped the power button so the phone would wake up. The cursor just sat in the Linux Terminal Window. So I'm at a loss what I'm suppose to do and asking for help.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

marty45714

Feb 21, 2011
This means that the phone is not connected to the Linux VM by USB. You'll need to troubleshoot the USB connectivity to your PC and to VirtualBox.

Good evening,

adb.linux
avd.osx
busybox
pwn
run.sh
su
Superuser.apk

Thank you,,,,,

Reactions: MNEman13

Proxify

Dec 30, 2010
This means that the phone is not connected to the Linux VM by USB. You'll need to troubleshoot the USB connectivity to your PC and to VirtualBox.

So after a while, I got the virtual box working, but I am having a problem with this.... I'm not quite sure what it means.

I can't pose picture because I haven't posted 10 posts yet -.-

---------- Post added at 04:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 AM ----------

Nevermind, I got my problem fixed, but I am clueless when it comes to connected to the same SMB file share network???

Another update, I read all of the previous posts, if I ping my phones IP address in the linux terminal, I can send and recieve packets to my phone. But it still says that my phone is not connected to the SMB share. My computer and phone are indeed connected to my router, I am now a little lost on what to do next to troubleshoot.

Last edited:

Proxify

Dec 30, 2010
So after a while, I got the virtual box working, but I am having a problem with this.... I'm not quite sure what it means.

I can't pose picture because I haven't posted 10 posts yet -.-

---------- Post added at 04:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 AM ----------

Nevermind, I got my problem fixed, but I am clueless when it comes to connected to the same SMB file share network???

Another update, I read all of the previous posts, if I ping my phones IP address in the linux terminal, I can send and recieve packets to my phone. But it still says that my phone is not connected to the SMB share. My computer and phone are indeed connected to my router, I am now a little lost on what to do next to troubleshoot.

I am also now getting this problem - Attachment

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    11.5 KB · Views: 346

Windiddy

Jun 7, 2010
ROOT w/o Ubuntu?

Hi is there a ROOT method w/o going through UBUNTU? I dont think I can run Ubuntu on my MacBook pro. :(

Proxify

Dec 30, 2010
I have the network set up properly, my laptop and phone are connected to the same router, and VirtualBox is reading the network from my Wifi card. So everything should be working properly :'/

Trifool

Feb 19, 2013
Silicon Valley
USB issues

Hello,

I am still having a problem rooting my phone using this exploit. After entering the information for the remote storage I will hit enter. It verifies that the phone is connected to the SMB share and indicates ESTABLISHED. Confirmed! Phone connected to SMB I verify that the phone is set for USB Debugging and has the setting for the MTP. I then hit enter to continue with the script. I then get:

Waiting for phone to be connected to USB...
Please plug in the phone or troubleshoot your VirtualBox USB connectivity
./root_bionic.sh line 71: ./abd.linux: not found

CONFIRMED! Phone connected to USB

Continuing...
[+] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037*
* daemon started successfully *

Even before I start the script I go into the VirtualBox Manager and check the settings under the details. Under the USB device filters it shows that one is active and identifying the Bionic.When I check the USB connection in the terminal window, it does not show any USB connection.

I have tried all 6 of my USB connections on my computer to establish a connection to be identified in the terminal window with no success. I have also tried several different USB cables. I know that the terminal window will see USB devices as it will see my keyboard and my mouse.

So I am lost on how to get my Bionic to show as connected in the terminal window. I am hoping that I can get some help on this...

Thank you.....

marty45714

Feb 21, 2011
Sorry to tell you this, but there's a bug in my script. You are not connected successfully to USB like you think you are. You need to get your USB connectivity straightened out between your PC, VirtualBox and the VM. In the meantime, I will fix the bug in the script.

Hello,

I am still having a problem rooting my phone using this exploit. After entering the information for the remote storage I will hit enter. It verifies that the phone is connected to the SMB share and indicates ESTABLISHED. Confirmed! Phone connected to SMB I verify that the phone is set for USB Debugging and has the setting for the MTP. I then hit enter to continue with the script. I then get:

Waiting for phone to be connected to USB...
Please plug in the phone or troubleshoot your VirtualBox USB connectivity
./root_bionic.sh line 71: ./abd.linux: not found

CONFIRMED! Phone connected to USB

Continuing...
[+] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037*
* daemon started successfully *

Even before I start the script I go into the VirtualBox Manager and check the settings under the details. Under the USB device filters it shows that one is active and identifying the Bionic.When I check the USB connection in the terminal window, it does not show any USB connection.

I have tried all 6 of my USB connections on my computer to establish a connection to be identified in the terminal window with no success. I have also tried several different USB cables. I know that the terminal window will see USB devices as it will see my keyboard and my mouse.

So I am lost on how to get my Bionic to show as connected in the terminal window. I am hoping that I can get some help on this...

Thank you.....

marty45714

Feb 21, 2011
Found a bug... Nothing that would affect the overall functionality, but it could cause some users to think that their phone is successfully connected via USB debugging, when it really isn't. Adding the new links to the original post now...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4th Update 5/2/2013 - Found a bug... Nothing that would affect the overall functionality, but it could cause some users to think that their phone is successfully connected via USB debugging, when it really isn't.

Update: 5/2/2013 - Per user requests, adding link to VirtualBox download site on the original post.

3rd Update 5/1/2013 - I changed the code that 'finds' the exploit file to make sure it get executed successfully. It's now using the "PATH" environment to do this. This is more reliable than the actual Linux 'find' command I was using before. Also added some additional instructions to clarify some steps based on feedback from users. Finally, added code to detect if the network adapter is not configured correctly. It will alert the user to configure the network adapter properly in the VirtualBox application.

2nd Update 5/1/2013 - I added some lines to the script to stress the importance of pressing one of the three hardware buttons on the phone (Volume up, Volume Down, or Power) once the exploit has been executed. After discussing this with the author of the exploit, this is an important step to obtaining root.

UPDATE 5/1/2013 - New and improved .ova file. Contains improved logic in the exploit script to help with some of the problems that have been encountered by users.
    If you've had trouble rooting, please download the new version and try again!

Hey folks, I'm a UNIX admin by profession, so I took the challenge over the weekend to come up with an easy root process for Bionic stock Jelly Bean, specifically for those who aren't familiar with Linux.

I decided to build a Linux VM under Oracle VirtualBox on my Windows PC. This seemed like the logical choice since VirtualBox is free, a relatively small download, is easy to install and it's easy to import VMs.

My first attempt was using CentOS Linux. It worked, but the file required for users to download was over 450MB... Back to the drawing board!

Started looking for very small Linux distros and found Tiny Core Linux. This worked well. The file required for download is 50 MB.

Everything you need to root the Bionic is here and it is automatic. The process will walk you through connecting to the Samba file share, connecting the phone in USB debugging mode, and OF COURSE, it will run the process to root the phone.

Here are the steps:

1) Install Sun VirtualBox on your Windows PC.
    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.12/VirtualBox-4.2.12-84980-Win.exe

Note: We've had one report that this file also works with VMWare Workstation and VMWare Player. If you don't want to install VirtualBox feel free try the file with VMWare.

2) Download the VirtualBox .ova file containing the Linux VM from one of the following links:
    http://www.knite.net/Bionic/Root_Bionic_JB_20130501-4.ova

http://www.mediafire.com/?a2i6forosp77xrd

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s...fhiAIiSwc0jD1AdVFNY27QdoeKP9ot_7IdDetSvw&dl=1

3) Import the .ova file into VirtualBox. (Click "File" then "Import Appliance".)

4) Start the imported VM in VirtualBox (Click the big "Start" Button. It has a green arrow icon.)

5) Follow the instructions on the Linux console.

That should do it. If you need help I will be monitoring this thread.
    Found a problem with the script. Should work now. Download and import again, if you've already downloaded. I also managed to get the download down to 46MB by defragging and compacting the .vmdk file.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/bb53ayj5c3nd5ie/Root_Bionic_JB.ova?token_hash=AAGSOYfPuDXTur_e9qlYl2JRERovPyfMwe-2xNzHXg4Lxg&dl=1
    Here is a new super easy root for the droid bionic on jelly bean
    http://youtu.be/Eunw58NwFrQ

sent from my Galaxy Note 3 running HyperDrive.
    UPDATE 5/1/2013 - New and improved .ova file. Contains improved logic in the exploit script to help with some of the problems that have been encountered by users.
    If you've had trouble rooting, please download the new version and try again!
    Alright, you can also verify the network connectivity between the phone and the VM by using the 'ping' command.

Find the IP address of your phone by selecting Settings, then Wi-Fi, then click your left most menu button on the bottom and select Advanced. You will see the IP address of the phone. The first 3 octets of that address (xxx.xxx.xxx) should be the same on both the computer and the phone on MOST networks.

So from the Linux console, if you press Ctrl-c, it will drop you to a Linux prompt, from here you can try to ping the phone:
    ping 192.168.1.11

Again, where 192.168.1.11 represents the IP address of your phone, that you just found from the menu.

Also, you can try to ping the Linux VM from your phone. If you've installed the Android Terminal app, you can lauch it and type:
    ping 192.168.1.11

Where 192.168.1.11 represents the IP address of the Linux server. This is presented to you by the Linux console when it gives you the information to put into your phone in order to connect to the SMB share.

Thanks for the help and instructions. After a few hours of fiddling around I still cannot get my phone to connect to the SMB. My computer connects successfully and after I connect via \\192.168.1.11\share the VirtualBox even progresses a bit to the point where it asks me to plug in my Bionic, but without my phone's wifi file share the process stalls. I am sure that both phone and PC are connected to the same network, sharing is all on, and firewalls are down. At this point I must assume that my router isn't bridging for some reason. Tonight I'll do some more investigation into the Airport Express settings and see if it will fix this issue.