Optimus G Pro vs Galaxy Note 2 screen/batt life

Search This thread

greyhulk

Jan 14, 2009
I have both devices. I find idle battery drain to be better on the Optimus G Pro. It also is a little better to grip and use one-handed because it is narrower.

I honestly thought I was done with big phones when I parked my Note 2, but I'm really digging the 1080p screen on the G and the battery life has been great for me. It does seem to drain pretty fast when the screen is on, at least faster than the Note 2.

oreyna

Jan 17, 2011
I have both devices. I find idle battery drain to be better on the Optimus G Pro. It also is a little better to grip and use one-handed because it is narrower.

I honestly thought I was done with big phones when I parked my Note 2, but I'm really digging the 1080p screen on the G and the battery life has been great for me. It does seem to drain pretty fast when the screen is on, at least faster than the Note 2.

I am also coming from the note 2- and still own it. I always found the note 2 to be to wide for my medium sized hands. I went into the AT&T store to buy the black HTC one and left with the G pro! The screen res, form factor of the phone ( because it feels like a phone and not a phablet) is what sold me. Now after having it for 3 wks I can say I dont regret my decision at all. Battery life is better than the note 2, no random non responsive app issues ( native texting app and gallery mostly) like with the note 2.

Hendrickson

Aug 24, 2008
Denia, Spain
www.youtube.com
Idle hands down the OGP wins. If its a screen on battle then the Note 2 will just win. But I find in general and my own use leaving data on the OGP battery life is better than the Note II's

Apart from the sunlight reflections and sun readability the OGP beats it in everyway. The note too is older of course so will be interesting once the Note 3 is out.

oreyna

Jan 17, 2011
I am also coming from the note 2- and still own it. I always found the note 2 to be to wide for my medium sized hands. I went into the AT&T store to buy the black HTC one and left with the G pro! The screen res, form factor of the phone ( because it feels like a phone and not a phablet) is what sold me. Now after having it for 3 wks I can say I dont regret my decision at all. Battery life (especially idle time) is better than the note 2, no random non responsive app issues ( native texting app and gallery mostly) like with the note 2. It just works.

wiser212

Jun 25, 2007
I want to share that my battery life use to be about 8-10 hours, not the greatest when compared to the Note 2. After turning off background updates for Facebook, I am getting about 24 hours. What a bump! Not sure if other contributing factors are involved. I had almost 4 hours of screen time and didn't really make any calls though.

Aug 18, 2010
i come from note 2 as well. Comparing screen on time, note 2 is around 5 hours and OGP is around 4.5 hours for me. The battery usage when idle is better on OGP however. Anybody has tried disabling MLT under MPT Test of hidden menu (3845#*(your model no.)#), i found it keeps running in background. After I disabled it and boot again, I found my battery life of OGP is better than before, no effects to daily usage

martinezma99

Nov 8, 2012
Charleston, SC
Wow! I can't believe how many people own both the Note 2 and OGP. I bought the OGP today after owning the Note 2 since Nov '12.

Few observations.

1. OGP phone charges really quick compared to Note 2.
2. OGP battery gets really warm while charging.
3. OGP battery drains quicker than Note 2.
4. Screen resolution is much nicer on OGP.
5. Disappointed that OGP is still 4.2.1 for a phone released in May. I hope to see an update soon.
6. No ATT Visual Voicemail app for OGP. Are you kidding me!
7. Some unexpected lag on OGP at times.
8. The messages app opens quickly but when selecting a thread it takes over a second to open.
9. No option to remove Q slide on status bar very annoying.
10. Pressing home button makes a noise when pressing.
11. LED on home button is fantastic.
12. Quick button is another fantastic idea.

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda premium

Last edited:

Nucking Futs!

Mar 5, 2011
Dallas
Wow! I can't believe how many people own both the Note 2 and OGP. I bought the OGP today after owning the Note 2 since Nov '12.

Few observations.

5. Disappointed that OGP is still 4.2.1 for a phone released in May. I hope to see an update soon.
6. No ATT Visual Voicemail app for OGP. Are you kidding me!
8. The messages app opens quickly but when selecting a thread it takes over a second to open.

6. Google Voice FTW!
8. Go SMS Pro FTW! Especially for the fact you can change the LED notification color to whatever you want & can send/receive iOS emoji's to/from iPhone owners...Yes, I came from an iPhone prior the OGP, Note 1 & 2. :D
11. AGREED!!!
12. Wish the quick button had an option to power on and/or make use of the home button so less wear & tear on the actual physical home button.

Also, hoping LG releases a firmware update to include a web browser for one of the QSlide apps just like the international version has.

raduque

Obviously the following is all opinion, but take from it what you want... I can only speak to video, text, brightness and color. I can't elaborate on outdoor visiblity or pictures but online reviews say that the G Pro is better in outdoor vis, and depending on who you read, it's a toss up on the camera, with some proclaiming one is better than the other, while others totally disagree (I wonder if different builds might use somewhat different sourced camera components).

I Was set to purchase the Note 2 due to all the positive press it received. I so wanted a phone with a stylus (I miss my Dell Axim x51v). I even picked up a Note 2 demo phone to carry around for a week or two to see if it was too big or heavy. I bought a case and screen protectors for it in anticipation of actually getting the phone.

Then, I went down to AT&T store to play...I was not happy! Even after brightening the display to max, setting the color temp of the screen (forgot the proper terminology), and setting the brighness for the browser, the screen to manual (auto was too dull), I found the screen to have little to no white coloring. At best, it was a pale blue color. When comparing it to my 4 year old iPhone 3GS, the Note 2 was about half as bright as my iPhone. I realize that my phone has a LCD while the Note 2 has an AMOLED, with it's boosted blues, reds, and greens. I can live with the super saturated AMOLED colors, but i cannot live with the absence of whites. The G Pro has a screen that is similar in its characteristics to the iPhone screen, only it's brighter, and had much higher resolution.

When trying to read a webpage for example, the difference is clear...the Note 2 with its relatively low pixels per inch count gives you jaggy lettering in comparison to the IPS LCD of the G Pro (and my old iPhone). In regards to the contrast between the black lettering and the white screen, you might figure that the Note 2 would win due to the fact that AMOLED has better blacks than IPS LCD (AMOLED uses no power to make black, it is black due to no pixels being lit. LCDs always have a white light on behind the panel, so even though you might want black, you still have some minimal amount of white bleeding through, kind of making your blacks somewhat more of a gray), that is not the case. The grayer text of an LCD looks better, at least to my eyes, due to the much, much brighter white screen that the G Pro has. The Note 2 has jet black text, but its set off above a not all that white screen, which makes the G pro better for reading, for me.

In comparison when viewing YouTube video...When viewing on a Note 2 alone, all by itself, it looks fine and most might be happy with it. That is until you simultaneously view video on the two devices side by side. Then you will really see what you would be missing with the Note 2! Although not as contrasty as the Note 2, the G Pro gives you more realistic color, a much brighter screen, and a huge amount more of definition due to more PPI. I was watching a World Rally video taking place on dirt roads, on both devices, with the cars spitting up clods of earth, while cornering past billboards and impromptu road signs. On the Note 2 the kicked-up dirt appeared as a cloud of smoky dust. On the G Pro you could make out individual clods of dirt and pebbles and such. On the Note, as the cars passed the signs, the lettering was blocky and jagged, but on the G Pro, the lettering was smooth with no case of jaggies. To me, the G Pro gives a much better YouTube experience. The Note 2 has a PPI of 267 or so, while the G Pro has a bit over 400 PPI. It does make a difference.

I couldn't gauge the difference when taking pics in the store. Both seemed to do an admirable job in that store, on that day, with that particular lighting, and viewed on thier own screen. But, as the phones were chained to the wall, i couldn't take them outside to see the differences in bright daytime lighting. I also could not compare the photos blown up on a common PC screen.

Sounds like the display unit lost the SAMOLED lottery. My Note II has no issues with displaying white whites. They don't look as perfectly white as a nice IPS LCD, but they're white enough to actually be called white. The higher resolution of the OGPro is way more noticeable than the color temp, though.

This is my current stats before I got home.

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app

Seems a bit lousy, imo. Depending on the usage, 5 hours of screen-on time w/my Note II would leave me with about 35% of the battery left. Note II is way better at power management than the OGPro.

Note II fits my hand a little better than the OGPro. The 1080p screen really sucks juice compared to a 720p SAMOLED.

Reactions: limitbreak09

wilsonliang777

Oct 31, 2010
I had the note 2 n upgraded it to a lg ogp 2 weeks ago. I did noticed that the lg ogp software is a little buggy. I really miss the sharp bright color of the note display, the pen n the s note software. The note 2 out last the lg ogp by 1 to 2 hours on a average day use.

Pro about the lg ogp
1. Easier to hold because of the slimmer waist line.
2. More PPI makes the screen easier on the eyes.
3. Faster when launching apps
4 cheaper.
5. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL. I am supporting another phone manufactor other than Apple n Samsung.

Sick of Apple and Samsung trying to taking over the world.

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
i came from a sg3 to OGp

I absolutely love the ogp. I had no gripes about my sg3 but I wanted a bigger and better display. The clarity and high resolution of this 1080p display is mind blowing. Its hard to describe in words how amazing this display is and how big it looks. This phablet is lightning fast also. Never any slowdown.

Only thing I'd say I don't like is this thermal throttling deal. I made sure to save the code for when o feel brave enough to cut it off. I've noticed phone only begins to get warm/hot if you have brightness all the way up and doing some major stuff like graphic intense gaming or CPU intensive apps. But I've seen that screen is plenty bright at 50% and rarely gets hot. IMO, a small drawback compared to all its positives. I just got this phone brand new from at@t for only 50 dollars. O was about to get an sg4 till I found out about this phone. You get the most bang for buck with this phone. Plus it comes with double internal storage space as other phones. I loved my sg3 and sSamsung makes great devices. But I'm so happy with this new G pro. So much so that I'm using my tablets less n less.

Once I get the zero lemon 9600mah(I believe) extended battery, I will be set. I will say stock battery life has been great so far. But with my heavy usage, I will need the zero lemon. I had it for my sg3. I never had to worry about plugging up my phone.

This ogp is so damn light & thin also. To me, this is the top phone out now. With its 1080p 5.5in. Display and top notch snapdragon 600 CPU & powerful gpu, this phone is beast. I kind of like the at&t exclusivity of it.

I highly recommend this phone on all fronts. Gaming is sick on this device. Handles any and everything you throw at it with ease. Get ththis phone now!

tobbis

Dec 6, 2009

Few observations.

I confirm most with my international version.

SuperABuser

Oct 31, 2013
Athens
I was a happy owner of the Note 2 and did the upgrade step and got myself an Lg Optimus G Pro.The summary of my experience is:The G pro has a far greater feel with one hand use,better screen both in resolution and in natural control reproduction than the amoled panel.And of course the camera and the 4g speeds are far better,Also the weight its a noticeable difference ,the G Pro is lighter..On its con's is the battery life,i was getting almost a full day with heavy use on the Note 2 but on the G Pro i get almost the half battery time on heavy use compared to the note's..Overall i m pretty happy with the G Pro and i think my next phablet is going to be an LG too..

Sent from my Optimus G Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ive played with the note 2 and the screen realy is that much better. Plus while lg does have crappy software there will likely be lotsa development once the bootloader is unlocked and will solve that problem. What can't be solved tho is samsungs shotty craftsmanship. U drop any samsung device from more than waist high, and ur replacing something, if not the whole phone. Just youtube droptests for samsung devices they consistantly do the worst of any device. As for a stylus the screen works with gloves on, anything can be used as a stylus on this ive seen more than one video where people used a regular pen although there no software support for it. While other phones may do 1 or 2 things better you can't buy a better all around phone right now. And its lookin like its gonna be that way till the note 3 and even then the enyxos 5s are barely outperforming the 600s although their design does give them better battery life.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2
    Check out this vs review. Lots of good stuff. They put out some opinions and more subjective details. Lots of objective stuff.

http://m.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g_pro_vs_samsung_galaxy_note_ii-review-911.php
    I have the note 2, s4, HTC one, and this phone and LG Optimus G Pro has the best screen of them all hands down. It also has great battery life and the screen does kill note 2. Plus the phone is easier to hold in hand and handle compared to note 2. Note 2 has stylus which is nice but if you don't use it LG is better.
    Do you currently have a data plan that ATT no longer offers? (such as unlimited, or 2gb)

I'd like to get this deal as well at Fry's but I don't want them messing with my data plan when I upgrade :(

I have a family plan I share with the Mrs. BTW, today's the last day for the Fry's sale price.
    Lol that what I meant og pro has the best screen on the market lol

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2