[FIX] Fix poor AAC streaming performance (Pandora, Slacker, etc) on Froyo

Search This thread

sandys1

Jun 4, 2010
hi guys..
Newbie alert!

I dont have ADB installed - nor the developer bootloader which I think is necessary for ADB.

Can I do this change using the terminal ?

nerdgeek

Jul 7, 2010
Hey guys. I'm having trouble with the pull. After I pull build.prop to the C drive I can't find it there. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Tried to post a pic of my cmd window but: To prevent spam to the forums, new users are not permitted to post outside links in their messages. All new user accounts will be verified by moderators before this restriction is removed.

dgreaves

Jul 2, 2010
SoCal
Those with Unrooted EVOs:

Sprint/HTC's OTA update, 3.29.651.5 released the last week of September, fixes the AAC streaming problem. (Remember the issue was Google's Android Froyo 2.2. Google acknowledged and fixed this, however it is up to each carrier-manufacturer to incorporate-and-release the Google fix).

Pandora and other streaming media & players produced exceedingly poor sound with AACs (not Pandora's fault, nor Sprint's, nor HTC's).

HTC/Sprint Release 3.29.651.5 mentions NOTHING about including this fix (so I haven't tried pandora or other streaming apps for weeks).

Noting a 2 week old post in Android Forums, i tried Pandora again, and it is AWESOME. sorry, newbie so I can't post the link...don't trust me. just try it if you haven't

It was already fixed (nice job Google/Sprint/HTC), and I didn't know it (horrible marketing: Sprint/HTC).

I LOVE MY EVO (again).

noons

Oct 30, 2010
Anyone else notice a bug regression with this? I had signed up for slacker about a month ago and its been great, but I recently updated my rom for my evo to Caulkins latest 1.7.6 which includes a newer OTA and whatnot, however my sound quality has significantly decreased. Might give this fix a try for now see if that makes a difference.

Jason_V

Jan 4, 2008
Can you not change it temporarily using setprop?

You can...

Code:
$ su
su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
# setprop media.stagefright.enable-player true
setprop media.stagefright.enable-player true
# getprop media.stagefright.enable-player
getprop media.stagefright.enable-player
true

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moto Droid (Simply Stunning v4.6).

I just applied this update... Didn't blow up, booted fine.

Will test the sound quality once I get to my car.

Just an FYI.
    When I installed Froyo on my N1, I found that streaming quality over Pandora suffered tremendously; low-quality was unbearable, and high-quality sounded worse than low-quality normally does. The change to StageFright from OpenCore is to blame here, while it improves HTTP streaming, it's AAC decoder doesn't decode LC-AAC streams properly.

To disable it temporarily, use
    Code:
    adb setprop media.stagefright.enable-player false
    and restart any applications actively playing anything. To disable it permanently, pull build.prop from /system and change the value there. When you restart, it should be disabled; use adb getprop to verify.

Of course, the phone needs to be rooted for this to happen, as r/w access to /system is required.
    I can confirm that this works! Thanks!

I think it would be a good idea to include these instructions in the OP for those who don't know the commands.

Here's what I did. For those following these steps, the file locations on your computer may be slightly different.

On Windows:
    1. Open Command Prompt
    2. Type cd [location of tools folder in android sdk] Example cd C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Nexus One\android-sdk-windows\tools
    3. Type adb pull /system/build.prop c:\build.prop [This will place build.prop in your C Drive]
    4. Using any text editor, open the file, make the necessary changes, then save.
    5. Type adb remount
    6. Type adb push c:\build.prop /system/build.prop
    7. Type adb reboot
    8. To verify that it is disabled, type adb shell getprop

After a few scrolls, you will see the following:
    [media.stagefright.enable-player]: [false]

This means that everything was done correctly.

I'm pretty n00bish at this stuff. If something doesn't look right, let me know.

Thanks again for the fix!

awesome! although i have to say i don't really see (hear) a difference using pandora on cm6rc2