Just got a call from Motorola

Search This thread

iBolski

I guess my final email to them must have struck a nerve or something. I just received a phone call from Motorola on my cell phone.

The individual was very courteous and nice, so that was a plus. Now for the information so take this anyway you want. I myself am a little skeptical, but at least I got more information from them than what we've gotten at all.

For ICS, they are currently testing the X2 for issues and bugs. The evaluation is not just talking it over on whether it's worthy of ICS or not, but they have developers working on compiling, debugging and testing to ensure they get the ICS upgrade to work along with their applications. Unless they run into major issues, there should be an ICS upgrade some day. Just not sure when.

Also, he ensured me they are not dropping support for the X2.

As for the unlocked bootloaders, they are currently in talks/negotiations with the carriers and this is what is taking so long. They are also investigating how to implement it so as to help protect the users from security issues, including data security (PI, etc).

The Motorola representative apologized for not getting back to me with this information sooner, but he wanted me to be assured that Motorola DOES take its customer's complaints/issues seriously. I did explain to him how ASUS and HTC have already unlocked their bootloaders, and he said he understands, but Motorola takes security very seriously, especially when it comes to its customers.

In many ways, I can understand where he's coming from. Now, whether this is a canned response or not, who's to say. As he was speaking to me, it did not sound like he was reading from a script.

I at least appreciate the phone call. That was much better than an email back so that I could actually converse with the person who was very polite and helpful.

Now, I guess the only thing we can do is wait and see what happens. He stated also that the ICS update page WILL be updated once they have made a decision on whether ICS will come to the X2 or not. Until then, it will stay the way it is, which could be months as they are still compiling, testing and debugging.

I did ask him if they were actually trying to compile it on the X2 and he said "yes", so unless he's feeding me a line of BS, then this is a good sign.

So, at this point, I'm going to sit back and see what happens. If by the middle of the year at the latest, nothing comes of this, then it might be time to start hounding them again, with tact of course.

Last edited:

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
I guess my final email to them must have struck a nerve or something. I just received a phone call from Motorola on my cell phone.

The individual was very courteous and nice, so that was a plus. Now for the information so take this anyway you want. I myself am a little skeptical, but at least I got more information from them than what we've gotten at all.

For ICS, they are currently testing the X2 for issues and bugs. The evaluation is not just talking it over on whether it's worthy of ICS or not, but they have developers working on compiling, debugging and testing to ensure they get the ICS upgrade to work along with their applications. Unless they run into major issues, there should be an ICS upgrade some day. Just not sure when.

As for the unlocked bootloaders, they are currently in talks/negotiations with the carriers and this is what is taking so long. They are also investigating how to implement it so as to help protect the users from security issues, including data security (PI, etc).

The Motorola representative apologized for not getting back to me with this information sooner, but he wanted me to be assured that Motorola DOES take its customer's complaints/issues seriously. I did explain to him how ASUS and HTC have already unlocked their bootloaders, and he said he understands, but Motorola takes security very seriously, especially when it comes to its customers.

In many ways, I can understand where he's coming from. Now, whether this is a canned response or not, who's to say. As he was speaking to me, it did not sound like he was reading from a script.

I at least appreciate the phone call. That was much better than an email back so that I could actually converse with the person who was very polite and helpful.

Now, I guess the only thing we can do is wait and see what happens. He stated also that the ICS update page WILL be updated once they have made a decision on whether ICS will come to the X2 or not. Until then, it will stay the way it is, which could be months as they are still compiling, testing and debugging.

I did ask him if they were in the actually trying to compile it on the X2 and he said "yes", so unless he's feeding me a line of BS, then this is a good sign.

So, at this point, I'm going to sit back and see what happens. If by the middle of the year at the latest, nothing comes of this, then it might be time to start hounding them again, with tact of course.

i wonder if it's still too early to check the servers and see what can be dug up...

i've checked them every once in a while since the announcement of the X2 being in the "evaluation and planning" stage of the ICS update but haven't found anything. (i checked with 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 updates)

Reactions: Rynoo

theredvendetta

Apr 10, 2011
Great news. Though it is certainly no promise or guarantee, it's a first, and I do mean first, step in the right direction. Could you forward me the email if I messaged you my gmail? and I don't mean because of my normal skeptic self. I would like to show it to a couple friends I have who also own the.x2.

iBolski

Great news. Though it is certainly no promise or guarantee, it's a first, and I do mean first, step in the right direction. Could you forward me the email if I messaged you my gmail? and I don't mean because of my normal skeptic self. I would like to show it to a couple friends I have who also own the.x2.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), it wasn't an email. It was a phone call, so I really don't have a transcript of what was told to me. Of course, you can be rest assured, I'm no Melvin, so you have no worries about being Melvined! :D

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), it wasn't an email. It was a phone call, so I really don't have a transcript of what was told to me. Of course, you can be rest assured, I'm no Melvin, so you have no worries about being Melvined! :D

whatever
u don't have a recording so ur lieing
lol j/k
you have put in more time then anyone else I've seen to make an effort to actually get Motorola to say or do ANYTHING. so it figures you would receive a call from someone over there.

let's just hope that it wasn't melvin who called ya Hahahaha
how freaking messed up would THAT be lol

thanks for keeping us updated on your efforts iBolski.
I guess we can pretty much officially call you our "representative" on the Motorola bootloader/ICS front. thanks again!

DAG425

Dec 11, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Devil's Advocate...

Very nice work bro! Being polite and yet slightly forceful will get you a very long way with large corporations. I did tech support for MSN, Kodak, and SONY and I can tell you that you WILL NOT get the best support if you are rude, forceful, abusive, and/or threatening. I understand that we can get frustrated with what we feel are broken promises. We are their customers and we do pay their salaries. But, at the same time, we must also understand that even though we feel we are many, and can really hurt them, we aren't and we cant. Their salaries will still be paid and their profit margins will be met. We can only politely demand that they answer our questions. Yes corporations break promises. Yes they screw the little guy over. Yes they make millions off us. But there are people behind those corporations. People the same as us. Bound by those same profit margins and salaries. WE MUST CONTINUE TO REACH OUT TO THEM AS PEOPLE! Not faceless money hungry machines. Enough with the hate. As hard as it is to stifle. I have been on the other side of the fence. I have been the tech and customer service rep getting cussed at for no reason and due to those experiences, I am now a MUCH more demanding consumer. The lesson I learned is this; kick, scream, cuss, *****, moan, and whine all you want, but it will get you no where in this life as a consumer. Ask for help, be polite, just like your mother taught you and you will get more out of people.

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar goes the old adage... And its an OLD adage for a reason.

iBolski, I commend you in your efforts. Thank you for taking the high road and trying a different approach!

iBolski

All I can say is, I was about to give up hope and just call it a lost cause. I'm still not holding my breath, but I'll wait and hold off on that HTC Rezound. As it is, my upgrade isn't active yet, so I'd have to pay full price which is around $600. No way.

I went ahead and responded back in my support ticket, thanking them for the phone call and how I appreciated it. But, I also let them know that we as a community still expect an answer one way or the other on both issues and to not string us along and keep us in the dark.

I think I'll have a beer, or two, or three tonight...

theredvendetta

Apr 10, 2011

Lol my bad, not sure why I assumed it was an email. I agree, it it's a good thing they talked to you via the phone; shows that maybe they aren't afraid to face your frustration, whichis always a sign of good customer service, and if we're lucky, honesty.

No worries though, I wasn't doubting you, for I have no reason to. I've seen only good things from you :)

CadenH

Sep 26, 2011
Ibolski you are the hero of the day sir. I've been following your progress with this situation and I'm glad you were so determined. I vote we ressurect a statue in your honor, or maybe just donate for all your hard work.

Sent from my MB870 using xda premium

iBolski

Ibolski you are the hero of the day sir. I've been following your progress with this situation and I'm glad you were so determined. I vote we ressurect a statue in your honor, or maybe just donate for all your hard work.

Sent from my MB870 using xda premium

Thanks, but let's hold off on any kudos until we see if this even amounts to a hill of beans. I'm just trying to get an answer to what we all want: the status of ICS on the X2 and unlocked bootloaders.

At least now I can relax and just let it simmer for awhile and see what happens.

kenjesse

Jul 15, 2011
Florida
Ibolski - just wanted to add my thanks for all your efforts effectively on our behalf. Have you given any thought to perhaps setting up, say a twitter dx2/Moto specific account, that we in the community could follow which if the numbers are there could be powerful proof to motto that there really are a number of its customers that share your feelings on this matter. Sort of an extension of the unlock social media campaign. I for one would follow you if you set up such an account.

Again thanks for your efforts!!!

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

Staggo

May 12, 2009
I am intrigued that they contacted you via phone.

I think they are taking the actions that Asus and HTC has been implementing seriously, especially because of the fact that HTC does have now unlockable phones on Verizon...

ICS Is probably more of an inevitability at this point, but the unlocked bootloader I am quite surprised at actually being discussed...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I did ask him if they were actually trying to compile it on the X2 and he said "yes", so unless he's feeding me a line of BS, then this is a good sign.

Ivan, thanks for working on this so hard and getting a truthful answer. We all appreciate your persistence!

What irritates me the most about this whole situation is I feel like we were lied to (possibly knowingly) by Motorola. Their website still says the X2 is still in the planning and evaluation phase which is obviously not true.

Sent from my MB870 using XDA

I might be the only one who isn't completely certain we aren't getting ics,.
    the email stated "the x2 isn't "SLATED" to get ICS" which reads to me as if they just haven't figured out yet whether or not they CAN put ics on the x2., they just haven't made a decision yet is how I read it....
    and if there is one company who is inconsistent as hell in what they tell the customer, it's Motorola (and Verizon
    I reserve the right to change my opinion at ANY time lol
    Well you sit here and wait then. Been almost three months and no updates other than a BT and wifi fix for CM7. There are no developers working on it because of the locked bootloader and now no ICS update. Its being abandoned. You can say they do it as a hobby and sit here and wait. I'm moving on. No more Motorola for me.

ummmm
    do you even follow dragonzkiller at all?
    he goes to school full time and has crazy tests and projects to focus on!
    once in a while he gets a break from school and REAL LIFE and THAT'S when he had the time to develop these roms,
    please, don't say there is no dev gonna happen when you have no clue what you talkin about

and what kind of update are you expecting for cm7?
    it's a ROM port of a finished ROM, he can updates the code and such but then you would just complain that nothing changed in the ROM that you can SEE...
    and that's fine that you gonna move on, just don't sit there and "I haven't seen any updates so it's abandoned " Dragonz doesn't NEED to tell us ANYTHING much less even work on the ROM, he does it because he ALSO owns the phone and wants to see progress, but REAL LIFE comes first, there's no way in hell he's gonna fail at school just so you can have an update and get your flash fix in..
    /end my little rant
    You should submit their response to droid-life or someone similar so they can at least make an unofficial announcement that it will not get ics. I bet Motorola will love that. Especially since they are still selling them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Well, now the letter has shown up on DroidDog and Droidforums.net as well. Hopefully, it keeps spreading.