[Q] What is d6096cac5e9f.signed-hboot-0.35.0017.zip ?

Search This thread

mlevin

Dec 8, 2008
Fairfax, VA
Hi,

I'm on MoDaCo r21 (FRF91). Every few days, I get alerts that there's an update. There seem to be some problems that haven't quite been worked out with MoDaCo r22 (FRG83), so I'm holding off on upgrading. So every few days, I get an alert that there's an OTA update available. I go into /cache and delete the .zip file that was downloaded, then "accept" the update, which of course fails because the file isn't there, and then I proceed on my way until it happens again.

Up until recently, it always said the update was "Android 2.2 Update" or something and the filename was

Code:
c8847c98b948.signed-passion-FRG83-from-FRF91.c8847c98.zip

This was, as far as I know, a few minor fixes and was just an update to the /system partition.

Now, I've just noticed that the file I was pushed is

Code:
d6096cac5e9f.signed-hboot-0.35.0017.zip

and this appears to have an hboot.img embedded in it. I don't know how to crack open an .img file, so my question is, what the heck is this update? The update screen says "Update 1 of 2: This is the first part of an update and it must be installed before the second part is installed" or something like that.

I'm getting paranoid here. Is this some trick from HTC to get me to update my bootloader with a locked-down one like the G2? ;)

The thing I love about the Nexus One is that the whole thing can be legitimately unlocked -- so I hope there's not an update that will change that.

I actually rooted my phone without doing the "fastboot oem unlock" as I didn't want to void my warranty (despite the many claims that HTC still honors claims for things that are clearly hardware-related), but I've always felt safe that I have that option in my back pocket in case I ever screw up so bad that I can only recover via fastboot.

Or maybe this is just a new radio and I'm over-reacting ;)

Can anyone confirm? Or point me to some info on how to examine an .img file?

Thanks

Zane Lee

May 7, 2010
creativezane.sg
I got exactly the same update and I thought it was Gingerbread since this became a 2-part update. I searched around and the new hboot has always been shipped with Korean and SLCD Nexus One(s), and I guess they wanted to update our hboot to the new one as well.

I updated to it, but well you can still install custom roms when you're rooted, and it doesn't affect your current rom as well. So I guess it's perfectly fine, or if someone else wants to correct me.

My bootloader now displays:
NEXUSONE PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.35.0017
MICROP-0b15
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0103
RADIO-4.06.00.12_7
Oct 12 2010,14:33:16

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
I never got an on-screen prompt about it but I did notice while watching ddms after flashing a new rom that hboot-0.35.0017 was pushed to my phone and the verification failed.

I'm oem fastboot unlocked and running CM 6.1 nightly build 262.

Has anyone determined the new bootloader is needed for future things? i.e. Gingerbread?

hayden1987

Mar 29, 2010
Toronto
can someone please confirm if it is safe to flash to the new 0.35 hboot if I rooted my phone using a locked bootloader method? will flashing the new hboot undo my root or cause any issues?

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
can someone please confirm if it is safe to flash to the new 0.35 hboot if I rooted my phone using a locked bootloader method? will flashing the new hboot undo my root or cause any issues?

Well, so far, the 0.35 hboot won't let you use the PASSIMG method to re-image your phone, and doesn't appear to like Amon Ra 2.0 (not confirmed, but I've noticed a few issues). I've also seen potentially related problems with fastboot privileges...

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App