[How To] How To Install a Boot Animation (Rooted AND Non-Rooted)

Search This thread

pashna

Oct 5, 2013
/system/media modification problem

If you do copy a bootanimation.zip to the data/local directory do you have to do anything to the Original bootanimation.zip in the system/media Directory?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Nope! It stays there safe and sound and will start playing again as soon as you remove the one from /data/local! :)

Hi Nolam

I am using Ganbarou edition of Cyna. 10.2. I prepared the "bootanimatin.zip" file to copy in the mention folders.
First of all, there is no /local folder in my /data.
Then, I went to replace new bootanimation file with the older version, but I couldn't modify the content of the folder, perhaps due to
Some permission issues. I either used ES file explorer or root ...app. Do you any idea how I may change the permission of the existing file, to be able to replace my boot animation?!
Thanks in advance.

Warmly reg.
Mohsen

andrugs

Dec 9, 2013
I am rooted on my nexus 7 2013. Moved zip to data/local. When I boot no animation just android really small in the center

tschautschi

Jan 31, 2014
I'm on a non rooted nexus 5. when I enter the comand to push the bootanimation the /data/local it says: 'permission denied' !

would be very thankful if someone could help me!

Hi. During the procedure that you gave for non-rooted devices, whenever I type "adb pull /data/local/bootanimation.zip C:\", I get this error message in command prompt:

"remote object '/data/local/bootanimation.zip' does not exist"

What does this mean?

Pritish1453

Feb 2, 2012
Nagpur
Failed to copy..

Its showing Read only file system, so push function is not working..
and while rm bootanimaton.zip,,, its showing same error.. please help.. my mobile is not working now!

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 305

Greencrow

May 5, 2013
Cebu
Help, I cant find bootanimation.zip in my system/media at all. I only see .qmg files about boot animation,batt charge,error,boot loop, whatsoever.

Nolam20

Aug 30, 2011
Help, I cant find bootanimation.zip in my system/media at all. I only see .qmg files about boot animation,batt charge,error,boot loop, whatsoever.

This thread is outdated and was specific to the TF201. New devices handle boot animations different ways, idk how though.

Sorry.

HackAttack37

Apr 27, 2014
Non-Rooted

I'm trying to do this on a Dell Streak 7 and the non-rooted way is not working for me. I get the "Read only file system" error when I try to push my custom animation onto the device, and when I try adb shell sysrw, it says permission denied, and in searching I have found that I'd have to root the device to get those permissions. Problem is, I CANNOT risk bricking the tablet.
How did you do this without rooting?

hydro6773

Jun 7, 2014
im getting the same thing

Hi. During the procedure that you gave for non-rooted devices, whenever I type "adb pull /data/local/bootanimation.zip C:\", I get this error message in command prompt:

"remote object '/data/local/bootanimation.zip' does not exist"

What does this mean?

I'm going thru the same thing. I renamed my bootanimation file to bootanimation and placed it in a folder on my desktop. I navigate to that folder and i do the adb pull etc... and i got the same message.

Am I missing something?? My adb reboot command worked..dont know where to go from here. Please help.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

I followed the guide for no rooted devices. I got all the commands to work or at least it seems like it. But my boot animation didnt change. Its still the stock bootanimation. Please help.

Wicklow28

May 29, 2012
remote object '/data/local/bootanimation.zip' does not exist

Hi Guys, I am having this issue. Hope you can help. Thanks.

C:\Users\Downloads>adb pull /data/local/bootanimation.zip
remote object '/data/local/bootanimation.zip' does not exist

C:\Users\Downloads>adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local
cannot stat 'bootanimation.zip': No such file or directory

nbp2014

Sep 13, 2014
How can i remove always repeated boot animation

Please help my problem is how can i
fix the boot animation of my android phone
always repeat???
please2 help me!!!
how can i remove this..
thanks for any reply.

yc627

Oct 12, 2014
I get an error: device not found

I get an error in cmd "error: device not found" after I do the "adb pull......... " thing

Simeon Petkov

Jan 1, 2015
Smolyan, Bulgaria
Hi.
I have a strange problem with my xperia ZL.
Here it is:
The phone is rooted, but it doesent give me permission to replase the bootanimation. Root file manager crashed, other programs just say operation failed.

Last edited:

Absolutezero_01

Feb 13, 2015
Permission Denied

I know this is an old thread but somehow I cannot change my boot animation because of this message.
Code:
failed to copy 'bootanimation.zip' to '/data/local/bootanimation.zip': Permission Denied.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is mainly for the users of my animations who were asking! - Have fun guys! :D

If you are rooted:
    1. Download a root explorer app (ES File Explorer is suggested and free)
    2. Enable root directory (in ES File Explorer hit menu, go to settings, and check "Up to Root", then go farther down and check "Root Explorer". Accept any Superuser requests.
    3. Go back to your explorer and navigate to where you downloaded the "bootanimation.zip" file. Copy (or cut) it.
    4. Navigate as far up as you can into your root directory, and then to /data/local/
    5. Paste your "bootanimation.zip" file into /data/local/ (it MUST be named bootanimation.zip)
    6. Reboot and enjoy!

Alternatively, you can put it in /system/media, HOWEVER, make sure you back up your stock bootanimation.zip (rename it to bootanimation.zip.bak or move it to your sdcard somewhere) in case something goes wrong.

If you are not rooted (or rooted, this method works with both)
    **PC only! I'm not sure how to set the Max OSX terminal to accept "adb" commands by default!**

Setup:
    1. Download the newest Android SDK
    2. Click the start menu, right click "Computer", and click "Properties"
    3. Click "Advanced System Settings" on the left (On Win7)
    4. In the advanced tab, click "Environment Variables"
    5. In the system variables window, find "Path", select it and click "edit"
    6. At the end of the bottom line, paste:
    For 64-bit users:
    Code:
    ;C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
    For 32-bit users:
    Code:
    ;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
    7. Click OK.

Process:
    1. Plug in your device using a USB cable and enable USB Debugging (in the settings menu under development on your device)
    2. Click the start menu, and either search for "cmd" or click run, and type "cmd.exe"
    3. Navigate to the folder that you downloaded the bootanimation.zip file to using the following commands:
    Code:
    dir - lists all files in the directory stated
    cd - changes directory to the given path. If "cd ..", it will navigate one folder backwards.
    4. Use the following commands (your file must be named bootanimation.zip)
    Code:
    adb pull /data/local/bootanimation.zip C:\
    adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local
    NOTE: Alternatively for part 2 you can type "adb push ", open windows explorer, and drag the file infront of the command which will give you the path without having to type it in or navigate to it.

5. Be patient, when it is done it will say something like "X kb/s (X bytes) in X seconds"
    6. You can test to see if you did it correctly by rebooting manually or entering
    Code:
    adb reboot
    7. If you no longer want a custom bootanimation, just enter
    Code:
    adb pull /data/local/bootanimation.zip C:\
    Remember to look in your main HDD directory and delete the bootanimation.zip file if it in fact did show up there for some reason.

Note: if it STILL does not revert to the stock boot animation after doing this step, type

Code:
    adb shell

cd /data/local

rm bootanimation.zip
    **If you have adb problems or questions, I'm not the one to ask, Google is ;)

Thank you for thanking me!
    Thanks for this.
    I thought it could not be done without a un-rooted Prime.
    If you do copy a bootanimation.zip to the data/local directory do you have to do anything to the Original bootanimation.zip in the system/media Directory?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Nope! It stays there safe and sound and will start playing again as soon as you remove the one from /data/local! :)
    Addition

On my device sony xa1 animation was stored in different location, here it is list of all possible locations:
    "/system/media/bootanimation-encrypted.zip",
    "/system/media/bootanimation.zip",
    "/oem/media/bootanimation.zip" (in my case it was oem),
    "/data/local/bootanimation.zip",
    "/system/customize/resource/bootanimation.zip"