Horrible battery life

Search This thread

rochford77

May 18, 2010
Mt. Pleasant/Oxford MI
Horrible battery life.

i consider myself well versed in phones. In the past year i have had a Gnex, HTC One m7, and a moto x. Just got my s5 last week, and im lucky to get 12 hours battery life with 1.5 hours of on screen time. I have all the gestures and 'smart' stuff turned off. i dont get it. I have a handful off aps that i use, and have used on every phone. the only thing i can think of is perhaps its the google now launcher? has anyone else on here gotten HORRIBLE battery life with that installed?

Attachments

• 1959402_10152445754613948_662473041206224630_n.jpg
    1959402_10152445754613948_662473041206224630_n.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 503

myKale

Jun 3, 2014
That is bad indeed. Ive been on wifi most of today, different locations, and still have 30% right now with close to 6hrs screen time.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
I have the GNL installed and I have amazing battery. I have location on "GPS Only" and photo auto-upload turned off. Everything else is on. What's your signal like? Worst case, try a factory reset. Oh, and turn off Google Now.

Also, why does your phone have 7bars instead of 4 or 5? Is that a sprint thing?

fenchai

May 10, 2011
it looks like your system doong a lot of stuff, your screen On time should always be hiher and number 1. have you done anything to your cellphone? apps, xposed modules? custom roms?

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

waz000000

Dec 11, 2006
leicester
Horrible battery life.

i consider myself well versed in phones. In the past year i have had a Gnex, HTC One m7, and a moto x. Just got my s5 last week, and im lucky to get 12 hours battery life with 1.5 hours of on screen time. I have all the gestures and 'smart' stuff turned off. i dont get it. I have a handful off aps that i use, and have used on every phone. the only thing i can think of is perhaps its the google now launcher? has anyone else on here gotten HORRIBLE battery life with that installed?

I have the same issue but stock UK. i leave mine plugged in at work as it's so poor.
Ive done factory resets etc and disabled loads of stuff so im crippling my phone and the battery is wank!

rochford77

May 18, 2010
Mt. Pleasant/Oxford MI
it looks like your system doong a lot of stuff, your screen On time should always be hiher and number 1. have you done anything to your cellphone? apps, xposed modules? custom roms?

Not rooted, so nothing with exposed chewing up ram. I have GPS set to "battery saver". My signal at work is kinda 'meh' on LTE but 5 bars on 3g. My 4g speeds are about 15Mbps so it's not like the phone is spinnimg its wheels looking for data. I turned off location sharing from Google. So we will see how today goes.

Is 'GPS only' more battery friendly then 'battery saver' for location?

Attached is my app drawer. Nothing crazy...nothing that should be wake locking the phone....

Edit: I switched photos auto upload to only on WiFi only while charging last night as well. oh, I also charged to 100% last night with phone off using a USB 2.0 cable for a slower charge. If today goes poorly I'm going to try another battery, next step is hard reset with no 3rd party apps, then replace phone :\. I'll keep it updated.

Attachments

• IMG_20140605_093043.jpg
    IMG_20140605_093043.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20140605_093055.jpg
    IMG_20140605_093055.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20140605_093102.jpg
    IMG_20140605_093102.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20140605_093108.jpg
    IMG_20140605_093108.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20140605_093307.jpg
    IMG_20140605_093307.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

waz000000

Dec 11, 2006
leicester
Its "better" but not like it was before the update. Lost 20 % in 5 hours with 50min screen time

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

rochford77

May 18, 2010
Mt. Pleasant/Oxford MI
much better

So its been much better today. See attached screen shots. Its not perfect but I have a big handful of apps syncing so 20hours on a charge is good for me. I mean, my moto-x got 20hrs, but that was on a highly optimized s4 pro processor only using a 4.7"amoled screen @ 720p. So if this 5"+ 1080p monster can get 20 with everything I throw at it im happy.

I think the biggest thing I did was settings - location - location services - google location reporting - off for this device.

The reason is GNL (GEL) was accessing location like crazy, so that helped.

I also made some other tweaks as stated in above posts, sorry I didnt do it scientifically by only changing one thing each day to pinpoint what it was. I turned off all of sammys 'smart' features and charged it to 100% on a 1A charger with a usb 2.0 cable with the device off. And turned off various other settings. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-05-14-54-23.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-05-14-54-23.png
    252.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Screenshot_2014-06-05-14-54-31.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-05-14-54-31.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 173

iresq

Nov 16, 2010
The best thing I did for battery life was disable my Samsung account. The difference was incredible.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fenchai

May 10, 2011
ok, I will tell you, battery saver mode is better than gps only mode. usb 2.0 or 3.0 doesnt affect charging speed, its just for data transfer speed.
maybe your google account was syncing or maybe your gallery was syncing.
this kills and uses a lot of data and battery, also facebook... please do a favor and turn every notification off. also, use greenify to cancel all apps syncing. well only the ones that you do not use.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
ok, I will tell you, battery saver mode is better than gps only mode. usb 2.0 or 3.0 doesnt affect charging speed, its just for data transfer speed.
maybe your google account was syncing or maybe your gallery was syncing.
this kills and uses a lot of data and battery, also facebook... please do a favor and turn every notification off. also, use greenify to cancel all apps syncing. well only the ones that you do not use.

No it isn't. Unless you use navigation all day, GPS Only mode is by FAR more battery friendly. The battery saving mode turns on Google location tracking and all that stuff...you know, the popup that you agree to each time. GPS only keeps that off which saves your battery a lot more. It's the worst named setting i've ever seen.

bnight

Nov 26, 2010
Sofia
No it isn't. Unless you use navigation all day, GPS Only mode is by FAR more battery friendly. The battery saving mode turns on Google location tracking and all that stuff...you know, the popup that you agree to each time. GPS only keeps that off which saves your battery a lot more. It's the worst named setting i've ever seen.

You can`t use Google maps navigation with power saving mode that`s why I go back to my high accuracy setting however this didn`t change my battery stand by time by much I usually could go around 1 day and 20 hours on 1 charge depending on how much i use my phone with around 2 hours on screen time and some calls for probably 1 hour.
@op what software version you use because in the latest firmware for the G900F there is a battery improvement made so I do suggest to check your phone for software updates.

Other then that the battery life depends on how often you use your phone and for what.

rochford77

May 18, 2010
Mt. Pleasant/Oxford MI
You can`t use Google maps navigation with power saving mode that`s why I go back to my high accuracy setting however this didn`t change my battery stand by time by much I usually could go around 1 day and 20 hours on 1 charge depending on how much i use my phone with around 2 hours on screen time and some calls for probably 1 hour.

@op what software version you use because in the latest firmware for the G900F there is a battery improvement made so I do suggest to check your phone for software updates.

Other then that the battery life depends on how often you use your phone and for what.

Im on build 49h. However when i go to checl for a sw update I get this messege about unauthorized software. Im not rooted, no bootloader unlock, nothing. Ive never even plugged this into a desktop. I run gel and have selected ART in dev options as well as increased transitions to .5 and have usb debug enabled. Wtf?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-06-10-18-13.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-06-10-18-13.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_2014-06-06-10-11-51.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-06-10-11-51.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I moved to ART today (finally a new version for my favourite software was released with an ART support) but this don`t prevent my from checking for updates though.

But I think ART actually affect the battery life in not a positive way could tell more about this tomorrow when I test with a full power cycle though.

But ART make the devices super fast almost unreal for an Android Device.

My knowledge of Javascript & runtimes and such is VERY LIMITED. However, it is my understanding that art helps battery life in most cases. This is because all the compiling is already done so its less work for the phone during use. Modern Dalvik uses Just in time compileing which compiles the app as its needed, which stresses the processor more and hurts battery.
    which brings me to the fact why didnt you buy cheaper/better phone if you want great battery life.. i bet out there are some great nokias which can stay up one week... they are cheaper and can do all the basic stuff same as samsung... believe it or not :) I mean i am buying phone after i've done some research about it.. and if everyone is bragging about battery life i wont buy it... its common sense right?

I actually didn`t do a solid research on the S5 I was watching the Unpacked 2014 event live but didn`t think that this will be my device of chose I had Galaxy S4 Mini before it. And for the 1 hour on screen time I do spend a lot of time infront of a PC as I work as System Administrator. I do agree that for example the S4 Mini is not much slower or lack so much features then the S5 but S5 is cutting edge phone and I really start to like it as much as I use it. Battery life for me is pretty good. However I have a question to all that spend 6 hours in front of there phones what you do with this phone ? Because 8 hours I spend in the office (no time for my phone) then I spend 8 hours sleeping and 2-3 hours watching Sport and a few playing on my PS4 so could you share what should I do with my phone to spend more then 1 hour per 24 hours a day with it ?
    I bought it to play with it.. to use it instead of pc when i am not at home... do emailing.. play games.. flash stupid mods:D... work on documents... book flights.. buy stuff on ebay.. pay for stuff on ebay.. browse internet.. watch videos on youtube.. record videos.. upload videos:D... etc etc
    most of the things i do on my pc i can do on the phone... now i have 15h 11m on battery... 5h 27m on screen and 10% remaining....

My Laptop is Ultrabook HP Folio 9470m which is so fast with 8 GB of Ram and 256 GB of SSD storage from cold boot to browser it takes 25 seconds but the first few days I used my S5 instead of the laptop and yes it could do all the staff you do on your PC i even download movie torrents and watch them via HDMI sharing so it has a lot of great functions to replace your PC don`t know if used it but you could actuall talk via phone with Headphones and still use all the functions of the phone like browsing mail etc it`s really useful feature turning this Phone in a great companion for the sys admin and IT guys as I say though I really use my PC a lot so no need for second screen I even wonder why my phone is always online since I spend a lot of time near my PC so no need for internet on the phone.

But yes I understand that if you do a lot of stuff on it it will take a lot of time. My Battery stats are 1.6% standby battery per hour and on screen time is something like 8% per 1 hour of screen time so your 5.30 minutes hours equals 44% of battery used by your screen then you have 15 hours *1.6= 24% so you have around 68-70% used and this is with very modest consumption as mine so yes your stats are also very good.

I really like the battery life of the S5 having in mind how much you could do with it.