[NTG][1.2]GlowNooter 1.12.25

Search This thread

Ishan_Arya

Nov 23, 2015
Development

Hi! I was wondering if you could provide some feedback on how you learned to develop Android, specifically for the NST. I have a project in mind to do with eInk screens, but I don't know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated!

vicus21

Jan 26, 2016
Hello, I rooted my device. However, although the Nook program of the reader has internet, the rooted apps do not have access to the internet. Does anyone know why?
Thanks

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Hello, I rooted my device. However, although the Nook program of the reader has internet, the rooted apps do not have access to the internet. Does anyone know why?
Thanks
I do not understand. You have a wi-fi connection, but what exactly does not work? Be aware that if you actually used this package most of it is out of date and will not work properly.

Edit: specifically, the Amazon app store, Youtube, Gmail, and GApps all will no longer function on the NSTG.

Last edited:

vicus21

Jan 26, 2016
I do not understand. You have a wi-fi connection, but what exactly does not work? Be aware that if you actually used this package most of it is out of date and will not work properly.

Edit: specifically, the Amazon app store, Youtube, Gmail, and GApps all will no longer function on the NSTG.
Hi nmyshkin, thanks for your reply. So, yes, none of those apps work on the rooted Glowlight. The rooted side of the Nook Glowlight says that there is not a connection to the internet. But the B&N regular nook program, the program that came with the nook, has a connection to the internet with the WIFI.

Do you know how to fix this?
Should I use a new version of the package for rooting? What do you recommend?
Thank you

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
The rooted side of the Nook Glowlight says that there is not a connection to the internet. But the B&N regular nook program, the program that came with the nook, has a connection to the internet with the WIFI.
I'm still not sure what that first sentence means. It makes me a little nervous. If you're saying that with wi-fi on you get error messages when trying the Amazon App store or Youtube, then I get it. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

I am going to assume that you updated to FW 1.2.2 before rooting. If that's true, the hard part is doing it again. The easy part is rooting with NookManager. So you would need to:

1. Deregister your NSTG.
2. Prepare a NookManager card.
3. Boot up NookManager and use the "Rescue" option to trigger a factory zip restore. This will wipe out all the stuff you just did and return your NSTG to whatever FW version it came with from the factory.
4. Update the FW back to 1.2.2 and register it.
5. Root with NookManager.
6. Customize as desired.

Last edited:

vicus21

Jan 26, 2016
So I deregistered it, and deleted all data.
I'm still not sure what that first sentence means. It makes me a little nervous. If you're saying that with wi-fi on you get error messages when trying the Amazon App store or Youtube, then I get it. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

I am going to assume that you updated to FW 1.2.2 before rooting. If that's true, the hard part is doing it again. The easy part is rooting with NookManager. So you would need to:

1. Deregister your NSTG.
3. Boot up NookManager and use the "Rescue" option to trigger a factory zip restore. This will wipe out all the stuff you just did and return your NSTG to whatever FW version it came with from the factory.
4. Update the FW back to 1.2.2 and register it.
5. Root with NookManager.
6. Customize as desired.
I did all the below but got into a problem on 4
1. Deregister your NSTG.
4. Update the FW back to 1.2.2 and register it. I can't register it because the nook won't connect to the internet, I also downloaded the update to the nook but it does not recognize it. I am not able to register it because it won't recognize the internet.
Have you used your rooted nook with the update 1.2.2 and the google interface connecting to the internet? It would seem that the problem is that the root program was not updated after the Barnes&Noble 1.2.2 update came out.

Do you have any tips on how to register the device now that it won't connect to the internet and it won't recognize the update i downloaded in the nook? Thanks

vicus21

Jan 26, 2016
I should have asked this before...I know I should have....Why didn't I?

Are you outside the US?
No, I am in the U.S., Would I have a problem because I am in the U.S.?
I called Barnes and Noble and they walked me on how to install the update. Which is basically, copy the update 1.2.2 in the nook, now the nook picked it up and is installing it.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
No, I am in the U.S., Would I have a problem because I am in the U.S.?
I called Barnes and Noble and they walked me on how to install the update. Which is basically, copy the update 1.2.2 in the nook, now the nook picked it up and is installing it.
Whew. No, I was afraid you had a UK model as too many people do who have trouble with updates, etc. I guess I should have been more detailed about how to install the update. You should be OK now, wi-fi and all.

vicus21

Jan 26, 2016
Whew. No, I was afraid you had a UK model as too many people do who have trouble with updates, etc. I guess I should have been more detailed about how to install the update. You should be OK now, wi-fi and all.
Thank you so much for all your help.
I am now able to log into the internet. However, I cannot access googlemarket or any app on google. It seems that Google stopped supporting that version of Android and no one with Google 2.3. Do you know if I can download Kindle or any app into the NTGL?
Thanks again.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Thank you so much for all your help.
I am now able to log into the internet. However, I cannot access googlemarket or any app on google. It seems that Google stopped supporting that version of Android and no one with Google 2.3. Do you know if I can download Kindle or any app into the NTGL?
Thanks again.
You have to side-load apps, that is, download them from somewhere on your PC and then transfer them to your NSTG. Accessing the apk file with a file manager will bring up the package manager with the offer to install the app.

Because the Android version is so old your best initial source for apps is this forum, although they are scattered around. There are a few bundled zips of apps that work. One can be found by following the link in my signature. Also there are links to other apps found on the forum, including the Kindle app.

vicus21

Jan 26, 2016
Thanks a lot again friend. I really appreciate it. Do you know if there is an App for Hoopla that can be sideloaded?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks a lot again friend. I really appreciate it. Do you know if there is an App for Hoopla that can be sideloaded?
No, Hoopla started out with KitKat, I believe. In any case downloads would likely fail because of the outdated SSL. The closest you can get to public library books on the NSTG is by using Opera Mini to access your local Overdrive site and selecting a Kindle format book. That will then take you to Amazon to fulfill the download which will show up in the Kindle app. It's slow, but it works. Or, you can do the whole thing on a PC and still have the book show up on your device. You can also check out epubs and use ADE to transfer them from your PC to your NSTG.

farmerstele3

Mar 6, 2022
This Nooter is officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

I'm not adding certain things because I don't believe they should be available as part of a rooting kit designed to give users more control of their devices. Things such as additional readers or CPU Clocks are up to the user to install themselves and needlessly putting them in Nooter creates app bloat that a user may or may not want. You can always drop Apps you want into \nooter\data\app and they will install automatically when you root the device. This Nooter is designed with the sole purpose of opening up the possibilities of the device by giving users Root, Google Apps, and other Apps which make the device more usable as an android device than just an e-reader.

• What it does:
    • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
    • Installs adbWireless
    • Installs Button Savior
    • Installs Amazon Marketplace
    • Installs su and Superuser.apk
    • Installs ADW + E-ink Friendly Theme
    • Installs Busybox & Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
    • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
    • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
  • System Files that get Modified:
    • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
    • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
    • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
  • Changes:
    • May 26, 2012 - Initial Release
  • Before you begin:
    1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch Glow
    2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
    3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
    4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Using the Nook Simple Touch can result in it becoming unusable (bricked).
    5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
    1. Download CWM from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=806435&d=1323121399
    2. Download TouchNooter from here: glownooter-1-12-25.zip - Uploaded
    3. Download eded333's beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END from here: http://nooter.googlecode.com/files/beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
    4. Unzip CWM and you'll find an image file you will then need to write this to an SD Card.
    5. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=cwmimagename.img of=/dev/sdcard
    6. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
    7. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

8. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
    9. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
    10. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
      • User "n" to select, Left Buttons to go up in the menu, Right Buttons to go down in the menu, Power Button to go back.
      • Install from zip
      • Choose zip from sdcard
      • glownooter-1-5-26.zip
      • Click Yes and let Complete
      • Remove SD Card and press Power Button to go back one to main menu
      • Click Reboot
    11. Upon boot unlock your screen.
    12. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
    13. Enable Location Services when given the option.
    14. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
    15. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
    16. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
    17. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
    18. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
    19. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
    20. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
    21. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
      • User "n" to select, Left Buttons to go up in the menu, Right Buttons to go down in the menu, Power Button to go back.
      • Install from zip
      • Choose zip from sdcard
      • beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
      • Click Reboot
    22. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
      • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

23. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
    24. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
    25. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
    • mali100 - For porting CWM to Nook Simple Touch
    • eded333 - The second zip to fix Market Issues.
    • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
  • If I'm using an app in TouchNooter and you would like Credit/Thanks, or to have it removed, please PM me, otherwise I might not see your requests

• Currently Working On: Raspberry Pi Triple Boot System
Looks nice! If you don't mind me asking, what is the difference between this and NookManager? I finally got nook manager on mine today, but then found this, and it looks to have the play store?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Looks nice! If you don't mind me asking, what is the difference between this and NookManager? I finally got nook manager on mine today, but then found this, and it looks to have the play store?
The project is way out of date. There is no Google anything possible on the NST any longer. You'd be better off building your own system one thing at a time to get what you want. See my other response to your other post.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Nooter is officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

I'm not adding certain things because I don't believe they should be available as part of a rooting kit designed to give users more control of their devices. Things such as additional readers or CPU Clocks are up to the user to install themselves and needlessly putting them in Nooter creates app bloat that a user may or may not want. You can always drop Apps you want into \nooter\data\app and they will install automatically when you root the device. This Nooter is designed with the sole purpose of opening up the possibilities of the device by giving users Root, Google Apps, and other Apps which make the device more usable as an android device than just an e-reader.

• What it does:
      • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs adbWireless
      • Installs Button Savior
      • Installs Amazon Marketplace
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs ADW + E-ink Friendly Theme
      • Installs Busybox & Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
      • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
      • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
      • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
    • Changes:
      • May 26, 2012 - Initial Release
    • Before you begin:
      1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch Glow
      2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
      3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
      4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Using the Nook Simple Touch can result in it becoming unusable (bricked).
      5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
      1. Download CWM from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=806435&d=1323121399
      2. Download TouchNooter from here: glownooter-1-12-25.zip - Uploaded
      3. Download eded333's beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END from here: http://nooter.googlecode.com/files/beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
      4. Unzip CWM and you'll find an image file you will then need to write this to an SD Card.
      5. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=cwmimagename.img of=/dev/sdcard
      6. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
      7. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

8. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      9. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      10. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
        • Install from zip
        • Choose zip from sdcard
        • glownooter-1-5-26.zip
        • Click Reboot
      11. Upon boot unlock your screen.
      12. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
      13. Enable Location Services when given the option.
      14. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
      15. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
      16. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
      17. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
      18. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
      19. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      20. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      21. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
        • Install from zip
        • Choose zip from sdcard
        • beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
        • Click Reboot
      22. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
        • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

23. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
      24. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
      25. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
      • mali100 - For porting CWM to Nook Simple Touch
      • eded333 - The second zip to fix Market Issues.
      • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
    • If I'm using an app in TouchNooter and you would like Credit/Thanks, or to have it removed, please PM me, otherwise I might not see your requests

• Currently Working On: Raspberry Pi Triple Boot System
    Download Searchmarket app from a browser. The market search is broken on rooted NST.

I'm able to get the market working... but I can't search for any apps. When I search, it just sits there and does nothing.

I can browse apps just fine.
    Uploading an untested version of a patch that should work for 1.2.x to the nooter download site. I'll link it here and check in on whether it works or not if anyone wants to give it a try.

https://nooter.googlecode.com/files/glownooter-1-12-25.zip

Note: This is untested, it is just a patched framework.jar from the latest 1.2.x update. This may also work on Touch without Glow. This makes no changes to uRamdisk so any "improvements" by B&N to the uRamdisk may be lost. I will further check out the uRamdisk when I have more time on my hands.
    Maybe I should take this opportunity to ask an additional question: what will this root let me do that tinynoot didn't, other than run the Market? What additional apps would it allow me to run that would actually run well?

One app I have partially working on tinynoot is Jabiru, a jabber chat client. The basic chat connection works, but the Conference function crashes the session. I doubt this other root would make a difference in something like that?

Thanks.
    The difference between this and tinynoot IS the fact it has Market on it, you can actually go to google.com/play now and install apps to the device. Other than that there is no major difference.
    I'll try it. Really, all I want to get is the amazon kindle app, the rest of it Ii don't really care about. but when I bring up the amazon app-store, it won't show me the kindle app. For some reason it will show me most everything else.

I tried downloading an amazon kindle apk, but the sites that had it looked kinda scary.

And after messing around a bit more, I realized that my BN account info isn't in settings either. I'm going to try the whole mess again. Can I take a kindle apk from my phone and just copy it to the sdcard and install it?

The newer versions of Kindle won't work on the Glow. The version included below seems to be the latest version that works.