[Q/A] Ask Us Your Questions Here About Roms & Mods

Search This thread

mj.vikram

Mar 2, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
Why is that everyone recommends to perform a factory reset / Wipe cache / Wipe Dalvik Cache before flashing Custom ROM ?

The reason I'm asking this is.. when I flash a custom ROM over my existing ROM without perform any factory reset, the new ROM is actually flashed and all my settings and apps from the old ROM are retained, there by saving a lot of work. (The Minimal being - install Titanium backup and start the complete restore of app and system data)

So what is the actual reason behind performing a factory reset before flashing a custom ROM.

i've installed GLX-R on Stock 2.3.5 with out performing factory reset / Wipe cache / Wipe Dalvik Cache... even though its working fine..... what i feel is this required only when you are upgrading OS. Eg: GB to ICS..

sannik

Feb 11, 2012
Bangalore
i've installed GLX-R on Stock 2.3.5 with out performing factory reset / Wipe cache / Wipe Dalvik Cache... even though its working fine..... what i feel is this required only when you are upgrading OS. Eg: GB to ICS..

hey vikram this is the first time I am flashing a ROM, so I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions.. :confused:
So, other than doing a nandroid backup is there anything else I should do, like factor reset or wiping cache before flashing the ROM...??

sarun_biotech

Jan 12, 2012
Bangalore
hey vikram this is the first time I am flashing a ROM, so I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions.. :confused:
So, other than doing a nandroid backup is there anything else I should do, like factor reset or wiping cache before flashing the ROM...??

Im sure Vikram or anyone else in the forum wont mind answering new questions...
For your specific question about factory reset/ wiping cache - last 5-6 posts will give you more than just an answer.
For your general question on things to do before flashing a new ROM, the golden rule is backup and that should be enough to save you. Any specific instructions will be posted by the dev while posting the new ROM.

On a personal note, after you take your first nandroid backup and flash your first ROM, restore back form your nand backup once, theres no stopping you.. you will do it a million times... :p :D

Reactions: sannik

mj.vikram

Mar 2, 2012
XDA 24 X 7

People in this form are very friendly and ready to help, so you can ask whatever the doubts you are having. Coming to your question as “sarun_biotech” told first you need to take the CWM Backup and better store it in PC for future purpose then clear cache and Dalvik cache and install the custom ROM which you are planning to install, if you are planning to install GLX-R make sure that only Auto reboot and F-Rest is checked in ODIN use the .TAR file in PDA section of ODIN.

Go through the steps in the below link before flashing
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1406664

sannik

Feb 11, 2012
Bangalore

what abt all the data if I do a factory reset... i have to install them again??
and btw u said its working fine without wiping cache, Dalvik Cache and data on a 2.3.5 rom

I think I'll do the same cos even i am using the 2.3.5 stock

sarun_biotech

Jan 12, 2012
Bangalore
what abt all the data if I do a factory reset... i have to install them again??
and btw u said its working fine without wiping cache, Dalvik Cache and data on a 2.3.5 rom

I think I'll do the same cos even i am using the 2.3.5 stock
yes, you will lose all your apps and settings when you do a factory reset. You can use any backup app like the titanium backup app to backup and resote all your apps and settings from your current rom.

But as vikram suggested, just try a flash without any reset and see if the apps work fine. you can always do a factory reset any time.

mj.vikram

Mar 2, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
you can directly install ROM with out clearing data, so that your data will be safe including APPS. if you face any problem just clear cache and Dalvik cache.

sannik

Feb 11, 2012
Bangalore
flashed the ROM guys..!!!

it's so damn smooth and no issues so far...

tried to flash without wiping cache, Dalvik Cache and data but it wouldn't flash and took a long time, so deleted data and wiped the cache after which flashing went smoothly...

now I'll try flashing ardatdat's kernel on this rom.

Once again thanks a ton guys.

Last edited:

sannik

Feb 11, 2012
Bangalore
after flashing GLX-R rom.. firmware is odexed or deodexed??
I also applied theme(project ICS!). Are there any other themes for this rom...!?

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
Is there any way to hide apps from app drawer?
There are lot off system apps in list which i hardy use like stock browser, video, music, my files, etc.

Sent from my GT-I9103 using xda premium

mj.vikram

Mar 2, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
Is there any way to hide apps from app drawer?
There are lot off system apps in list which i hardy use like stock browser, video, music, my files, etc.

If you have rooted your mobile take backup using titanium backup and uninstall those Apps with titanium backup, if you don't want to Root your mobile you can install Go launcher and hide the Apps.

Last edited:

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
If you have rooted your mobile take backup using titanium backup and uninstall those Apps with titanium backup, if you don't want to Root your mobile you can install Go launcher and hide the Apps.

I know this but i asked for hide apps not to uninstall them, and i dnt wanna use go launcher i dnt like it.

sarun_biotech

Jan 12, 2012
Bangalore
I know this but i asked for hide apps not to uninstall them, and i dnt wanna use go launcher i dnt like it.

If your purpose is not to waste app space for those very rarely used apps, a very simple method is to put all those in a folder. I do yhis for all the apps that i acces indirecctly thru other shortcuts.

hllby666

Feb 1, 2012
[ROM][I9103][ZCLA1]TheFrankenstain^MOD(Release Coming Soon)

Hi Guys,
I have checked the final build of the "[ROM][I9103][ZCLA1]TheFrankenstain^MOD(Release Coming Soon)" and it works well. The keyboard issue and force close issue(about phone) has been resolved. I know its the wrong place for this post but since I am a new users I don't have access to post replies on the developer thread. Question for Frankenstain : I am not able to add google account so that I can access market please help!. Rest of the things in your MOD just works great!!. :):)

Top Liked Posts