[Q] WiFi Tethering for Rooted Photon

Search This thread

dg2445

Jun 2, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Has anyone tried any of the wi-fi tethering apps on the market with a rooted Photon? Did it work or will we have to wait for an unlocked bootloader and a custom ROM?

I find tethering to be occasionally useful, but not useful enough to pay an additional $30/month.

I usually tether to a tablet so Bluetooth/USB solutions won't work.

Thank you.

cali90028

Feb 27, 2011
I would love to know that answer.

Sent from my photon 4g using XDA Premium App

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010

halmo20

Feb 16, 2010
Can you tell me if it runs in AP (Infrastructure Mode) or Ad hoc?

I had this problem originally on my evo (before wifi tether supported infra) that a lot of devices will only connect to an access point running in AP (infrastructure) mode.

It only worked on Adhoc mode. I could connect laptops and ipod/ipad but not Galaxy Tab10.1. I had to do Adhoc modification on the tab so it can connect. I hope wifi tether app gets updated to support AP mode on Photon soon.

kchaser

Mar 22, 2009
Could not get wifi tether to work on my rooted photon no matter which mode I used.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

Reactions: npaulseth

MultiDev

Dec 17, 2010

manekineko

Jul 26, 2009
On a rooted Photon, is there a way to enable native Android tethering, which seems to be currently hijacked by the Sprint app? Because that would provide infrastructure mode.

darknesis

Apr 26, 2011
Same problem here ... installed wifi tether on my rooted photon. Can start tethering, clients can join the network, but there's no data communication. Upload/download counters don't change and the client never gets an IP address. Anyone have any luck? I downloaded the current 3-1 beta.

nyckid211

Apr 10, 2007
It works, just not for the devices we want it to[read: devices that use infrastructure], such as the xoom in my case, as well as other tablets. Works great for my girlfriend's macbook though...

Sent from my MB855 using XDA Premium App

brobin111

Aug 8, 2011
I've rooted the MoPho and installed the beta version of WT. I've also tried Barnacle and even the native Hotspot function in the phone all to the same result.

I can see the SSID in inSSIDER and on the network list in Win7. I select it and enter the security key but get a message that Win cannot connect.

Ideas? Am I missing a step?

brobin111

Aug 8, 2011
After some more tinkering I found that if I turned off encryption WT beta works. It's quite slow even with a 4g connection but it works. I also tried Barnacle and the native hotspot application and they both connected but had no internet access.
Ao it looks like WT beta is the answer. Now if anybody can help get encryption to work that would be most helpful.

Top Liked Posts