[ROM] Evervolv | 4.0.0p1 [AOSP 4.4.4] [3.4 kernel] [Nightlies] With /data/media

Search This thread

flintman

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 25, 2011
MASS
For those that don't know what evervolv is, Evervolv is an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) rom. We're fully open sourced and encourage it with no restrictions. The work put into this rom is community driven and and Evervolv Project is made up of numerous members and contributors.

Right now the current source we are working on is KITKAT(Android 4.4.4).

Current version: 4.0.0p1

Current Items not working/Buggy
Updated 4-4-14
  • Bluetooth working --Still a WIP as some devices don't connect
  • Camera working --Still a WIP as the camcorder records in blue and a few minor issues
  • home key doesn't turn device on need to use power button--FIXED in the next nightly should be 4-5-2014
  • Battery draw around 50mA in sleep
  • Some experience SOD when hotword detect is active
  • Location service has stopped with Googles update looking into now
You tell me what you find.
4G Models are not currently supported

Evervolv Github: https://github.com/Evervolv

Evervolv Gerrit: http://review.evervolv.com/

Evervolv website: http://www.evervolv.com/
(New Site is up Check it out)

Evervolv Bug Tracker: http://bugs.evervolv.com/
(Please have discretion when reporting issues, and be descriptive / helpful. Also understand that we'll have some growing pains with this. So don't expect everything to be perfect.)

Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/wbellavance

IRC: #evervolv

[Download]
If you already have evervolv installed you should see this build under testing if you refresh and can download that way.

No more nightlies Moved to 5.0 Lollipop

ev_tenderloin-1-23-15 Last and final for 4.0 -> Fix netflix

FLINTMAN-TWRP-touch-data_media-SELINUX-2.7.1.0-6-7-2014.zip
--This is a flashing TWRP recovery with data/media and SELINUX support. I have tested 100% of the features and everything is working great as far as i can tell. Soo
with that being said. Use at your own risk 8). Make sure you save a backup from your current recovery just in case. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP
--Broke Vibration as i updated kernel.

NOTE: Recommend a clean install if moving from a previous version and or another ROM.

Flashing from cm or any other ROM will require a clean install, dirty flashes can cause random reboots and random errors

[Disclaimer]
I am not responsible for bricked devices, lost data, etc, etc. You all know the drill. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

[Special Thanks]
i would like to thank Flemmard, Jcsullins, Dorregaray, Invisiblek, Milaq, and anyone else that helped to make this happen. More great work to come.
Mitchbaria --for a 4g model to start in on this
Colchiro-- For a spare Touchpad WIFI to be able to test on one and develop at the same time

Last edited:

flintman

Feb 25, 2011
MASS
GAPPS
---These are the gapps i use. You should be able to use any that are KitKat compatible
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942

Grabbing logcats and dmesg along with last_klog.
These are helpful in figuring out what is going on

Install the sdk in you PC http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Logcat
"adb shell logcat >logcat.txt"
This will run until unplugged or ctrl c and all the content will go into that file

dmesg
"adb shell cat proc/kmsg >dmesg.txt"
This will run until unplugged or ctrl c and all the content will go into that file

Last_klog
"adb shell cat proc/last_klog >lastklog.txt"
This is for if you have a reboot run this right after the device starts back up and it will get me the last dmesg from before it reboot and will help determine the cause of the reboot.

This will help me and everyone that uses this ROM as i can determine the cause of issues.

Thanks

Last edited:

Moody66

Nov 6, 2013
Uhrichsville
Thanks to both of you. For the roms and the video walk thru. I haven't tried art on the touchpad because it actually makes my Galaxy Nexus slower most of the time. And with some gapps it's even worse. Since it isn't listed as broken I am assuming you have tried it. If I may ask. What gapps did you use and what was performance like? It prevented my nexus from booting at times. Just wanna stick with what you have tried until I get use to the new data media and such. Thanks again.

flintman

Feb 25, 2011
MASS
Thanks to both of you. For the roms and the video walk thru. I haven't tried art on the touchpad because it actually makes my Galaxy Nexus slower most of the time. And with some gapps it's even worse. Since it isn't listed as broken I am assuming you have tried it. If I may ask. What gapps did you use and what was performance like? It prevented my nexus from booting at times. Just wanna stick with what you have tried until I get use to the new data media and such. Thanks again.

I haven't tested as its still a wip from Google. I do have it as broken in the op. But good to know that it boots 8)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Lyok0ne

flintman

Feb 25, 2011
MASS
Added another build see OP for what was changed. I also adding in a touch recovery TWRP with data/media and SELINUX support. This will also allow you access to your webOS media folder which is know in the new build as external_sd. I have tested out all the features and everything is working great but please save a full backup from your previous recovery if you decide to use this recovery as it's still in an Alpha state.

Enjoy

Lyok0ne

Dec 2, 2011
Perpignan
Added another build see OP for what was changed. I also adding in a touch recovery TWRP with data/media and SELINUX support. This will also allow you access to your webOS media folder which is know in the new build as external_sd. I have tested out all the features and everything is working great but please save a full backup from your previous recovery if you decide to use this recovery as it's still in an Alpha state.

Enjoy

Thanks a lot for this amazing ROM and the recovery ;) I had few bug with the reboot ... The recovery freezed and i have to manually reboot to unfreeze it ... A part from that great job ;) Can't wait to see what you are going to bring next ;)
And just one little request ... I love having the clock center on the status bar ... Do you think you can add it to the Evervolv project ? :) That's would be a great feature ;)

flintman

Feb 25, 2011
MASS
Thanks a lot for this amazing ROM and the recovery ;) I had few bug with the reboot ... The recovery freezed and i have to manually reboot to unfreeze it ... A part from that great job ;) Can't wait to see what you are going to bring next ;)
And just one little request ... I love having the clock center on the status bar ... Do you think you can add it to the Evervolv project ? :) That's would be a great feature ;)

I have flashed with this recovery about 20 times now and only got the reboot to hang once. I'm looking into it.

Reactions: groo_pcd and silvbm

groo_pcd

Oct 10, 2011

install xposed + gravitybox. it works like a charm and has this feature and many others.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: MerenQue

kenmaples

Aug 28, 2009
Okay, I am doing something wrong. I have downloaded the recovery multiple times from multiple devices. I have tried installing via TWRP and manually extracting the image to /boot.

Each attempt, I get:
Checking uImage... Invalid Size

BOOT FAILED!

Please SELECT to continue

Any thoughts? I can still load my backup copy of TWRP without issue.

Update:
After purging the other copies of TWRP from /boot, the new version loads without issue. Thanks flintman!

Last edited:
Reactions: potatohead

emph4tic

May 26, 2013
Discovered that the TP 4G not compatible with the test 3.X Kernel yet

Hey Flintman just wanted to point out my findings after going crazy over the past couple weeks trying to figure what I was doing wrong when flashing the test Kit Kat ROMs w/3.X kernel.

Previously my TP 4G was working fine on shumash's SCHIZOID 4.2.2 ROM but I was extremely eager to try out the new 3.X kernels. I first tried out your non-data/media Evervolv 4.0.0p1 version and was unable to connect to WiFi despite repeated clean install methods and variations of cache wipes. I know that I had re-sized partitions with Tailor sufficiently for Kit Kat as warned so I then attempted to try out Invisblek's CM11 ROM. Not only was WiFi still not wanting to toggle on, but the rotation sensor was acting oppositely for landscape orientations and I was getting frequent crashing reboots just going through the UI. I then decided to try out JCSullins' updated CM10.1 ROM with his 3.0 kernel and then encountered the same behavior as Invisblek's CM11 ROM, but with even worse random touch driver issues that resulted in erratic automatic screen touches and ultimately soft-reboots.

Restoring a backup to SCHIZOID's 4.2.2 ROM worked fine to restore all functionality, but I couldn't help but think that I was still doing something wrong.

I got a hold of a normal TP (WiFi only model) and tried your latest 1-10-2014 Evervolv 4.0.0p1 ROM and was amazed to see that it was working great including WiFi (although 5GHz APs don't seem to scan as reliably as the past kernel) aside from the known issues. I tried the exact same install process on my TP 4G again just to see if anything changed, but unfortunately WiFi still wouldn't toggle and the orientation sensor behavior exhibited the same opposite landscape behavior as Invisiblek and JCSullins' ROMs.

I had thought that aside from the 3G HSPA modem in the TP 4G model chipset-wise it would be identical to the WiFi-only model so kernel 3.X developments would be complimentary across all TP devices. Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be the case and I hope with time you guys are able to work out any compatibility with the 4G model to benefit from the already terrific development that's going on with the 3.X kernel now.

I admire your guys' skills and look forward to all the improvements in store!

PS: I'd be more than happy to beta test anything you guys feel would address any compatibility issues on the TP 4G! ;)

graffix31

Oct 9, 2011
Boston
If we flash your twrp will it remove cwm or add another entry? I've never been able to have two recoveries working. I would much rather not have to use the power button and what not all the time in cwm but want to make sure I'm covered if something goes wrong. Thanks

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

flintman

Feb 25, 2011
MASS
Due to the limit of the boot directory it will remove all recoveries before installing this one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Lyok0ne

SteveoSupremo

Nov 27, 2008
Sorry for the Nube question I've searched and I'm sure it's been answered already....

So I got my touchpad with ClockworkMod Recovery version 6.0.1.9 can I flash the TWRP SE data/media recovery from there? Trying with the acme installer 5ET has failed.

I do have the original 4.4 Evervolv up and running and my partitions have been updated.

Thanks
Steve

SteveoSupremo

Nov 27, 2008
Sorry for the Nube question I've searched and I'm sure it's been answered already....

So I got my touchpad with ClockworkMod Recovery version 6.0.1.9 can I flash the TWRP SE data/media recovery from there? Trying with the acme installer 5ET has failed.

I do have the original 4.4 Evervolv up and running and my partitions have been updated.

Thanks
Steve

So I replaced the ulimage in the boot directory and was able to install the 1/10/14 rom. So I guess I needed to search and just try a little more.

anyway -- I think it's a little slower than the first 4.4 version.... Maybe I need to reboot.... thoughts?

steve

Moody66

Nov 6, 2013
Uhrichsville
Both using same cpu settings? Although with more things implemented it could seem slower.

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

Hey Flintman just wanted to point out my findings after going crazy over the past couple weeks trying to figure what I was doing wrong when flashing the test Kit Kat ROMs w/3.X kernel.

Previously my TP 4G was working fine on shumash's SCHIZOID 4.2.2 ROM but I was extremely eager to try out the new 3.X kernels. I first tried out your non-data/media Evervolv 4.0.0p1 version and was unable to connect to WiFi despite repeated clean install methods and variations of cache wipes. I know that I had re-sized partitions with Tailor sufficiently for Kit Kat as warned so I then attempted to try out Invisblek's CM11 ROM. Not only was WiFi still not wanting to toggle on, but the rotation sensor was acting oppositely for landscape orientations and I was getting frequent crashing reboots just going through the UI. I then decided to try out JCSullins' updated CM10.1 ROM with his 3.0 kernel and then encountered the same behavior as Invisblek's CM11 ROM, but with even worse random touch driver issues that resulted in erratic automatic screen touches and ultimately soft-reboots.

Restoring a backup to SCHIZOID's 4.2.2 ROM worked fine to restore all functionality, but I couldn't help but think that I was still doing something wrong.

I got a hold of a normal TP (WiFi only model) and tried your latest 1-10-2014 Evervolv 4.0.0p1 ROM and was amazed to see that it was working great including WiFi (although 5GHz APs don't seem to scan as reliably as the past kernel) aside from the known issues. I tried the exact same install process on my TP 4G again just to see if anything changed, but unfortunately WiFi still wouldn't toggle and the orientation sensor behavior exhibited the same opposite landscape behavior as Invisiblek and JCSullins' ROMs.

I had thought that aside from the 3G HSPA modem in the TP 4G model chipset-wise it would be identical to the WiFi-only model so kernel 3.X developments would be complimentary across all TP devices. Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be the case and I hope with time you guys are able to work out any compatibility with the 4G model to benefit from the already terrific development that's going on with the 3.X kernel now.

PS: I'd be more than happy to beta test anything you guys feel would address any compatibility issues on the TP 4G! ;)

I am curious. Have you tried turning the 4g off. Like airplane mode then just turning wifi back on? Was thinking of getting one of these models to tinker with.

SteveoSupremo

Nov 27, 2008
Both using same cpu settings? Although with more things implemented it could seem slower.

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

I think it was because of sync.... it's running smooth now. after I loaded a different set of GAPPS.

Now I have to figure out the camera apk. it would help if I RTFM.... Thanks Flintman for the awesome update!

Last edited:

flintman

Feb 25, 2011
MASS

Do you think you can get me some dmesg and logcats??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those that don't know what evervolv is, Evervolv is an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) rom. We're fully open sourced and encourage it with no restrictions. The work put into this rom is community driven and and Evervolv Project is made up of numerous members and contributors.

Right now the current source we are working on is KITKAT(Android 4.4.4).

Current version: 4.0.0p1

Current Items not working/Buggy
    Updated 4-4-14
    • Bluetooth working --Still a WIP as some devices don't connect
    • Camera working --Still a WIP as the camcorder records in blue and a few minor issues
    • home key doesn't turn device on need to use power button--FIXED in the next nightly should be 4-5-2014
    • Battery draw around 50mA in sleep
    • Some experience SOD when hotword detect is active
    • Location service has stopped with Googles update looking into now
    You tell me what you find.
    4G Models are not currently supported

Evervolv Github: https://github.com/Evervolv

Evervolv Gerrit: http://review.evervolv.com/

Evervolv website: http://www.evervolv.com/
    (New Site is up Check it out)

Evervolv Bug Tracker: http://bugs.evervolv.com/
    (Please have discretion when reporting issues, and be descriptive / helpful. Also understand that we'll have some growing pains with this. So don't expect everything to be perfect.)

Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/wbellavance

IRC: #evervolv

[Download]
    If you already have evervolv installed you should see this build under testing if you refresh and can download that way.

No more nightlies Moved to 5.0 Lollipop

ev_tenderloin-1-23-15 Last and final for 4.0 -> Fix netflix

FLINTMAN-TWRP-touch-data_media-SELINUX-2.7.1.0-6-7-2014.zip
    --This is a flashing TWRP recovery with data/media and SELINUX support. I have tested 100% of the features and everything is working great as far as i can tell. Soo
    with that being said. Use at your own risk 8). Make sure you save a backup from your current recovery just in case. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP
    --Broke Vibration as i updated kernel.

NOTE: Recommend a clean install if moving from a previous version and or another ROM.

Flashing from cm or any other ROM will require a clean install, dirty flashes can cause random reboots and random errors

[Disclaimer]
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, lost data, etc, etc. You all know the drill. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

[Special Thanks]
    i would like to thank Flemmard, Jcsullins, Dorregaray, Invisiblek, Milaq, and anyone else that helped to make this happen. More great work to come.
    Mitchbaria --for a 4g model to start in on this
    Colchiro-- For a spare Touchpad WIFI to be able to test on one and develop at the same time
    New update today a lot of changes finally switch over to a newer 3.4 kernel. I have been running for a month now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app
    Hey,

Wanted to update everyone on Evervolv's progress. We have gotten to a point now with 5.0 where its' building. There has been a good amount of work that has gone into this (Elginsk8r big thanks). Going to start on working on getting the TP running 5.0. I have no ETA but i would like to have something booted by weeks end. Once i get something that is somewhat stable (maybe some features not working) ill start a new lollipop thread. Just wanted to have everyone sitting on the edge of there seats awaiting 8). I'm iching to have it booted up. Ill let you know how it's going.

Thanks
    Flintman
    Ok just wanted to update everyone. I'm currently testing out some wifi, audio, and inkernel mpdecision. Hopefully this will take care of any of the rouge issues out there. Once i'm happy with it ill post a test build before moving it into the nighties.