[GUIDE] Return your European M8 to 100% Stock - S-OFF REQUIRED

Search This thread

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
So, a friend of mine recently bought a second hand M8, and I tried to convert it to European stock.

(bootloader) version-main: 6.12.401.4

Main version shown indicates that the 6.12.401.4 RUU or firmware flashed, or at least partially flashed, and broke the radio.

You have the Verizon version M8, which is not compatible with other M8 versions' RUU or firmware. You should not try to change to another CID/MID and flash other version RUU/firmware, otherwise radio brick is a known result. Try to revert to stock Verizon RUU as instructed in response to your post in another thread.

messuphard

Aug 3, 2015
i did download the mentioned RUU zip (here : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24369303960687057)

i went into bootloader mode and entered:
- fastboot oem rebootRUU
then
fastboot flash zip ...(filename)

but i get an error installing the zip:
(bootloader) zip header checking ...
(bootloader) shift signature_size for header checking ...
FAILED (remote: 32 header error)
what could this mean?
i found that, i have to use the htc_fastboot command. i will post if it works with an updated linux environment

I finally found time to do the correct htc_flash (on windows7). and it worked fine instantly.
before i go ahead, i wanted to ask if i can be hopefull that calls work fine with custom ROMS (now based on this RUU) ?
i would like to try
https://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/development/rom-lineageos-15-0-htc-one-m8-t3669070
or
https://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/development/romthe-worlds-first100-m9-port-m8upload-t3064838
can someone recommend a AOSP or as close as possible, that also support the special HTC Sound?

thanks a lot!

YahyaChagri

Mar 19, 2018
I need to get S-OFF
FIREWATER is not working
SUNSHINE says that there is a problem with my rom : lineage os 14
Please help im stuck

YahyaChagri

Mar 19, 2018
Firewater hasn't been available for years. Go back to stock and then Sunshine will work. Why do you NEED s-off? Are you sure you need it?

Sent from my Honor View 10 using XDA Labs
I need S OFF to get to stock ... as the thread said
i need to rewrite my cid so i can use RUU from htc site
please tell me that there is a better way

Einwod

Mar 1, 2011
Lardos, Rhodes, Greece.
If you never had s-off before, you certainly don't need it now and have no need to change your CID to go back to stock. Post the results of fastboot getvar all after removing your serial and IMEI numbers. We'll be better able to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: YahyaChagri

YahyaChagri

Mar 19, 2018
If you never had s-off before, you certainly don't need it now and have no need to change your CID to go back to stock. Post the results of fastboot getvar all after removing your serial and IMEI numbers. We'll be better able to point you in the right direction.

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.29.214500021.12G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: xxxxxxplzhlp
(bootloader) imei: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 76df2b54
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
thank youuu

Einwod

Mar 1, 2011
Lardos, Rhodes, Greece.
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.29.214500021.12G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: xxxxxxplzhlp
(bootloader) imei: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 76df2b54
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
thank youuu
Have a read at this thread. https://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/help/tutorial-how-to-stock-stock-twrp-t3086860
Everything you need is in the first 5 posts. Read carefully, read it again and then follow the instructions to the letter. If you follow the instructions you cannot fail.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007

You only need s-off for the method given at the top this thread (to return to stock). However, the method in this thread is long obsolete. There are more up-to-date methods to return to stock (Euro version) that do not require s-off. I've addressed this several times in this thread. I wish folks would read the updates (skim through the last few pages of the more recent posts) on a thread, before following instructions that are over 4 years old! It's really just common sense to do so.

You do NOT need s-off to flash the signed RUU intended for your (Euro) device. Which can be found (with instructions) here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64926626&postcount=6

In many cases, it is not recommended to change your CID and flash other version RUUs (for other regions). Doing do will change the phone's band support, and possibly break or otherwise affect the connectivity you have with your local carrier. Unless of course, the specific intent is to change the band support.

YahyaChagri

Mar 19, 2018
THANK YOU
BTW cmd does not work in windows 10 so i used the data file in the htc m8 toolkit( she cant flash the ruu it self it says " not enough storage") + i copied htc_fastboot.exe with the included fastboot.exe
RUN the cmd.exe
there will be an error and u have to enter the command " htc_fastboot flash zip RUU.zip " twice but the cmd tries to resend but it gets stuck
the trick is to close the cmd before the RUU reboots and then run the cmd.exe again and enter command " htc_fastboot flash zip RUU.zip

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
BTW cmd does not work in windows 10 so i used the data file in the htc m8 toolkit( she cant flash the ruu it self it says " not enough storage") + i copied htc_fastboot.exe with the included fastboot.exe
RUN the cmd.exe
there will be an error and u have to enter the command " htc_fastboot flash zip RUU.zip " twice but the cmd tries to resend but it gets stuck
the trick is to close the cmd before the RUU reboots and then run the cmd.exe again and enter command " htc_fastboot flash zip RUU.zip

If you are having trouble with the fastboot method, then just use SD card method. Rename the RUU zip to 0P6BIMG.zip, copy to SD card, and boot to bootloader, and it will install automatically.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** I HAVE SOLD MY M8 BUT I WILL TRY AND KEEP THIS UP-TO-DATE WHEN NEW RUUs COME OUT ***

*** NEW GUIDE AS WE NOW HAVE AN RUU!!! ***

This guide is for Windows-only. The reason for this is because the htc_fastboot file used is a Windows binary and there doesn't appear to be a version for Mac/Linux

This guide will allow you to return your EU, unbranded M8_UL device to 100% stock (inc. locking the bootloader and removing the tampered flag) for resale purposes or to return to HTC. It does not cover carrier-branded handsets and does require you to be S-OFF but Step 3 can be done on an S-ON EU M8 so long as your bootloader is relocked and you match one of the CIDs listed below. A lot of this can be used to restore a US carrier M8 as the RUUs are available, though, but you'd have to get the relevant RUU.zip from the EXE (which is very easy)

This process applies to the following CIDs:

HTC__001
    HTC__102
    HTC__203
    HTC__E11
    HTC__405
    HTC__Y13
    HTC__304
    HTC__A07
    HTC__032
    HTC__J15
    HTC__016
    HTC__M27
    HTC__K18
    HTC__A48
    HTC__002

You need the following files stored in your fastboot folder:

4.16.401.10 RUU ZIP - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B17smFr95pleU2NqcVB3NWxoNnM/view (renamed to ruu.zip - not ruu.zip.zip!)
    md5:4e03845aeab375746b4553e610047680
    htc_fastboot.exe - *** REMOVED DUE TO HUGE AMMOUNTS OF SPAM REQUESTS ***
    md5: 7343C5BCEC64373F83D69BD074954759
    TWRP - http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m8/openrecovery-twrp-2.8.4.0-m8.img (renamed to recovery.img) md5:
    e51c6ce8db0b7318ef31e1e7bd03c96e

And you'll also need HTC Sync Manager - http://www.htc.com/uk/support/software/htc-sync-manager.aspx (install it for the drivers and then uninstall it but leave the drivers on your PC)

All commands in bold are to be done in a command prompt window in your fastboot folder

1. 'Lock' the bootloader and reset the tamper flag

We know we can relock the bootloader by using the command 'fastboot oem lock', but it will show 'RELOCKED' on the bootloader and still show the phone has been unlocked in the past. With S-OFF we can set it back to 'LOCKED' ;). To do this, we need to use TWRP and adb shell

Flash TWRP in the usual manner by connecting the phone to the PC whilst in the bootloader and flash by using the command fastboot flash recovery recovery.img. Once flashed, boot the phone into TWRP and connect to your PC and make sure the drivers are successfully installed. To confirm it's working type adb devices and it should be listed with your devices serial number. Assuming you can see the device, we can now use adb shell to change the flag from 'UNLOCKED' to 'LOCKED' by using the following commands:

adb shell
    echo -ne '\x00\x00\x00\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 bs=1 seek=33796

Once the command has finished, we can continue using adb shell to reset the tamper flag by using the following command:

echo -ne '\x00' | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 bs=1 seek=5314564

Once this has finished, we can exit out of adb shell by simply typing exit. Then reboot the phone into the bootloader through the menu in TWRP so we can confirm the flags are set back to stock.

2. Change the CID (if required)

Now we're in the bootloader and are 'LOCKED' and not listed as modified (but still S-OFF) it's best we reset the CID so moving forward things are easy. To do this, you just need to use fastboot oem writecid HTC__001, or whichever CID your device originally came with from the list at the beginning of this guide. Once you've reset the CID, reboot the bootloader to confirm the changes using fastboot reboot-bootloader

3. Flash the RUU

We are now at the point where we can flash the RUU and restore the phone to 100% stock. To do this, we first need to boot the phone into RUU mode using the command fastboot oem rebootRUU. Once in RUU mode, you'll see a silver HTC logo on the phone and that's it. At this point, we now use the HTC fastboot package to flash their RUU.zip file using the command htc_fastboot flash zip ruu.zip. This process will take a few minutes, and the phone will reboot a few times but once done it'll say complete. At this point, reboot the phone back to the bootloader using fastboot reboot-bootloader

4. Factory reset the device
    *** OPTIONAL ***

Having flashed the RUU, I always prefer to do a factory reset to make sure everything is in order. To do this, boot into the stock recovery and once at the black screen hold volume up and press power to get into the menu and then select 'wipe data/factory reset' using the volume buttons and use power to select the option.

5. Reboot the phone

Pretty obvious this - just select 'reboot system now' and you should be good to go!
    Reserved in case I need it :)
    flashed stock backup file 1.54.1540.9 / changed my cid to BS_US001/ flashed firmware 1.54.1540.9 / flashed stock recovery 1.54.1540.9 and if i go into recovery it shows me phone logo with red triangle is that fine ? and I'm still S-OFF and Unlocked will i receive OTA ?

That's the stock recovery, press vol up and power to get into the menu ;)

And yes, you'll get the OTA
    You will need to have the stock recovery for OTA updates, but flashing the FW package restores the stock recovery so you're good to go

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app