[MOD]App2ExtSD2 [Works for all U.S. Galaxy S3!]

Search This thread

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
This is a hack that that allows you to swap internal storage with your external SD card so you can increase your app data storage.

All credits go to original i9300 App2ExtSD Hack by mattiadj. I simply hacked it to work with U.S. versions and also I've added code so it will disable this feature when you don't have a microSD card inserted (app storage will default to internal when no microSD card is inserted).

E.g. If you have 16GB internal storage on Galaxy S3, you can install this witih a 64GB microSD card and swap the storage and get 64GB on your app storage instead of 16GB.

Before you can use this, you will need:
1) Rooted Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535/SPH-L710/SGH-T999/SCH-I747) or also Canadian versions too (i747m, etc...etc...)
2) A ROM/kernel with init.d support!
3) I've only tested this with TouchWiz-based ROMs, so it should work on stock ROMs and any TouchWiz-based ROMs, not sure on CM9 or CM10.
4) You must use the FAT32 or EXTFAT zip file below, depending on what format your microSD Card is in! (e.g. if you have a FAT32 microSD card, use FAT32)

To get this working, simply flash the zip files in your CWM Recovery:

Download and Details:
http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-t...-external-microsd-for-u-s-canadian-galaxy-s3/

If you do not have init.d support, you can also enable on any rooted phone by using Script Manager, here's a quick tutorial:

I recommend you to FORMAT your microSD card once to get camera working flawless before using this hack!

How to disable this:
If for some reason you are having trouble, simply delete /system/etc/init.d/11extsd2internalsd.
OR
if you leave your microSD card out during boot (then re-insert it after), your phone will work as normal (internal storage used for app data).

Last edited:

mvaughn12

Oct 21, 2005
Aurora, CO
Has anyone tested this yet or am I the first? I installed this twice on a stock rooted rom and wiped my cache and davik but on each reboot, I had noticed it completly wipes my phone clean. Is it suppose to wipe your phone?

gpgorbosjr

Jul 3, 2008
www.gregthegreat.com
Has anyone tested this yet or am I the first? I installed this twice on a stock rooted rom and wiped my cache and davik but on each reboot, I had noticed it completly wipes my phone clean. Is it suppose to wipe your phone?

^^ This lol.

And what's the advantage to this besides more space if you have a bigger card? Are SD cards any faster than the memory Samsung put in?

gpgorbosjr

Jul 3, 2008
www.gregthegreat.com

Worked like a charm for me. Even switched the apps I had installed to the SD Card (now device memory) which I wasn't expecting.

I'm on Blazer rom. All I did was install the zip and wipe dalvik cache (I'm not sure why I did that, only because mvaughn mentioned it and I know it won't wipe anything/was prepared for a wipe).

mvaughn, are you running a rooted tw rom with init.d support? And did you possibly wipe your data by accident?

Anyway, time to buy a 64gb card lol.

EDIT: Can also confirm deleting the file as stated and restarting your phone will switch the two back as well as move your apps back to the right spot. This is very neat.

Last edited:

gpgorbosjr

Jul 3, 2008
www.gregthegreat.com
Nopper didn't wipe anything, I'm running the stock rooted rom, let me check but I was sure the Stock had init.d support here is the link to the odex stock I installed

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1743923#

I'm fairly certain that is just the stock rom with root in it. Init.d is probably NOT supported. Try and grab a rom with Init.d support. Blazer Rom and FreeGS3 can be very close to stock and add a lot of cool features.

gpgorbosjr

Jul 3, 2008
www.gregthegreat.com
Last edited:

popboywei

Mar 16, 2011
All my files(pics, song,dead trigger file, navigon file...) are gone!!! Max, what's going on?

Last edited:

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
All my files(pics, song,dead trigger file, navigon file...) are gone!!! Max, what's going on?

You might have to copy all of your contents from internal to sdcard to get it back. OR use Titanium Backup app to backup or restore.

You can always take the sdcard out and reboot, that will boot you normally then plug in sdcard once booted. (That's normal boot without the sd hack)

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
I'm fairly certain that is just the stock rom with root in it. Init.d is probably NOT supported. Try and grab a rom with Init.d support. Blazer Rom and FreeGS3 can be very close to stock and add a lot of cool features.

Stock ROMs do not have init.d support. You need a kernel/rom with the support, let me see if I can post a kernel with support shortly soon.

Reactions: Ralphie1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a hack that that allows you to swap internal storage with your external SD card so you can increase your app data storage.

All credits go to original i9300 App2ExtSD Hack by mattiadj. I simply hacked it to work with U.S. versions and also I've added code so it will disable this feature when you don't have a microSD card inserted (app storage will default to internal when no microSD card is inserted).

E.g. If you have 16GB internal storage on Galaxy S3, you can install this witih a 64GB microSD card and swap the storage and get 64GB on your app storage instead of 16GB.

Before you can use this, you will need:
    1) Rooted Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535/SPH-L710/SGH-T999/SCH-I747) or also Canadian versions too (i747m, etc...etc...)
    2) A ROM/kernel with init.d support!
    3) I've only tested this with TouchWiz-based ROMs, so it should work on stock ROMs and any TouchWiz-based ROMs, not sure on CM9 or CM10.
    4) You must use the FAT32 or EXTFAT zip file below, depending on what format your microSD Card is in! (e.g. if you have a FAT32 microSD card, use FAT32)

To get this working, simply flash the zip files in your CWM Recovery:

Download and Details:
    http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-t...-external-microsd-for-u-s-canadian-galaxy-s3/

If you do not have init.d support, you can also enable on any rooted phone by using Script Manager, here's a quick tutorial:

I recommend you to FORMAT your microSD card once to get camera working flawless before using this hack!

How to disable this:
    If for some reason you are having trouble, simply delete /system/etc/init.d/11extsd2internalsd.
    OR
    if you leave your microSD card out during boot (then re-insert it after), your phone will work as normal (internal storage used for app data).
    As Promised, Solved: another way to do it using Script Manager

I didn't invent this, Zedomax adapted in from mattiadj. But most people haven't been able to get it fully working, probably due to variations in the init.d function of various ROMS. They'd be able to see the External SD card as the internal SD, but the internal SD would disappear. This method avoids using init.d, and instead uses the app Script Manager to load the script on boot.

After much fooling around, I figured out how to do it so the External SD card and the internal cards are swapped, but you can see both with any file Explorer. I got it working on CleanROM 2.0, but it should work on Beans 10 as well.

Here's how to do it: Warning, if you do not understand the following instructions, or don’t have experience doing these things, you probably don’t want to do this hack. I am not responsible if you a) brick your phone, b) delete your data, or c) get very frustrated. That being said, the most likely failure will be that you only see the one card (the External card).

Back everything up that you care about first!!!!

1. First, I'd recommend making a Nandroid backup of your phone.

2. Next, just to be extra safe, I would backup your internal SD card to your PC. While you are doing that, if you have data on the external SD card, back that up too.

3. Next, I would format your external SD card to fat 32. (You could probably use Ext format too, but I didn’t test that.)If you already have it in that format, and have content on it, this won't affect the content, but back it up just to be safe. It’s probably better to have the Ext SD blank to begin with, you can always copy back its content from your pc.

4. Next copy the contents of the internal SD to the External SD card. This is to avoid confusion about apps and such.

5. Next install script manager free from the play store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...anager&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

It will show up on your phone as S manager ads.

6. Download the mod from here: http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/...ternalsd_gs3_fat32orextfat_US_ZEDOMAXv0.2.zip

7. You’ll see a folder called: 11extsd2internalsd_gs3_fat32orextfat_US_ZEDOMAXv0.2.zip

You need to unzip the folder, then go to System/etc/init.d and copy the 11extsd2internalsd file from there to your phone. Put it into the /data directory. Use Root Explorer, and your phone will need to be rooted.

(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6305/SD Card Hack SG3/11ext file in data directory.png)

Or you can get just the 11extsd2internalsd file here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6305/SD Card Hack SG3/11extsd2internalsd

8. Using Root Explorer, navigate to that file in the /data directory. Press and hold the file name until the menu pops up, and click on permissions.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6305/SD Card Hack SG3/Permissions.png

(Unix geeks set them to 777, and everyone else copy the picture below. Click OK.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6305/SD Card Hack SG3/Permission settings 777.png

9. Open the script manager app, and select Browse as Root in the config screen. Tell it to remember this setting.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6305/SD Card Hack SG3/Script manager browse as root and save.png

10. Navigate to the /data directory and choose the 11extsd2internalsd file that is located in /data and click on it. Click on the “Is script” button.

11. Now tap on the buttons that say Su, Boot, and Save. The file name will come up in yellow after the save.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6305/SD Card Hack SG3/Script manager setting after save.png

12. Reboot your phone and you should see the swap working and be able to access both internal and external SD cards. The external card will show up as sdcard, and the internal card will show up as extSDCard. Your apps should now install to the external card, since your phone will think it's the internal card. Is that confusing? It was to me too!

Good luck and please share your experiences specifying which ROM you used, so that others can avoid frustration.

Thank you’s always appreciated.
    This will work with any ROM 11extsd2internalsd

Folks,

This is my 11extsd2internalsd:

#!/system/bin/sh
    #extsd2internalsd is a modification that allows to switch internal sd to external sd and viceversa. With this you can use default internal sd only for app storage #and the external sd to store all apps resource and all others stuff. The resut is a very big increase of installable apps on gs3
    #All credits to Mattiadj of xda forum for the idea and script and to mike1986 for the cmw zip.
    #xda thread url at
    #Script Modified for U.S. Galaxy S3s by Zedomax at GalaxyS3Root.com to be compatible when sdcard is not inserted.

busybox mount -o remount,rw /

busybox mount -t vfat -o umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:33 /mnt/sdcard
    busybox mount -t exfat -o umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:33 /mnt/sdcard
    if busybox mount | busybox grep vold/179:33; then
    busybox mount -o bind /data/media /mnt/extSdCard
    fi

Please notice where it is mounting the SD Cards. So if yours quit working with a new rom then navigate with root explorer to /dev/block/vold

There should be 2 files in there. examples: 179:32 and 179:33 you want to record the second file name.

Then open your 11extsd2internalsd file with Notepad+++ and change the 3 locations to the second file name you found in dev/block/vold save changes and replace your old 11extsd2internalsd file.
    Running
    JellyBomb JB ver 15.6.0
    KT747-TW-JB-4.1.2-SPR-05-31-2013
    That would be why. Your running 4.1.2. The Mid was originally made for 4.1.1 . I have a modified one I'm using on the same Rom. I'll post it up in a bit. It works without running Script Apps. Using it on JellyBomb right now.

EDIT: The link below is for the Modified file. Again BIG Ups, and THANK YOU to zedomax for making this Mod for everyone.

Non-Flashable_Modified_for 4.1.2_App2ExtSD2

TEAM MiK
    MikROMs Since 3/13/11

Worked like a charm for me. Even switched the apps I had installed to the SD Card (now device memory) which I wasn't expecting.

I'm on Blazer rom. All I did was install the zip and wipe dalvik cache (I'm not sure why I did that, only because mvaughn mentioned it and I know it won't wipe anything/was prepared for a wipe).

mvaughn, are you running a rooted tw rom with init.d support? And did you possibly wipe your data by accident?

Anyway, time to buy a 64gb card lol.

EDIT: Can also confirm deleting the file as stated and restarting your phone will switch the two back as well as move your apps back to the right spot. This is very neat.