Insane battery drain

Search This thread

nategold

Nov 30, 2007
So I am getting an insane amount of battery drain when the screen is on. I checked the battery Stats and find nothing that is causing it. I am on att using 4.4.2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app

Face_Plant

Mar 24, 2014
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Are you on the official 4.4.2 or the leak?

Have you disabled any of the bloat?

Restricting the background data of certain apps can extend battery life because it prevents them from syncing constantly. Don't restrict the background data of apps you want notifications from.

Do you have haptic feedback turned on? Do you have it set to vibrate when you get a notification? The vibrator drains a lot of juice.

Did it start after downloading an app, or out of the blue? If you've downloaded any apps recently try uninstalling them and see if it gets any better.

Have you tried doing a factory reset? It sucks setting everything up again, but it helped my battery drain issue a bit.

Do you have any of the gimmicks like smart stay/scroll/pause, direct pen input, air view, etc turned on? Those will eat your battery fast.

Is "turn off pen detection" turned on? If not, enable it by going to settings, controls, S Pen, and see if it's selected. It should be the first thing on the list.

Do you have it syncing the weather often? Do you have notifications for Facebook, Tapatalk, the Play Store, Gmail, Twitter, etc turned on?

Is auto sync, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, or Wi-Fi turned on constantly? Supposedly keeping multi window turned on constantly will hurt battery life too.

What's your signal like? If you have very poor LTE reception your phone will eat the battery alive trying to keep LTE. If you live in an area with poor LTE coverage it may be best just to lock it on HSPA/EDGE. You can do this by going to the dialer and typing *#*#4636#*#* and a menu should pop up. Select device information, scroll down, and you will see a line that says "set preferred network type." Touch the box below that and a long list will pop up. Scroll to the top of that list and select "WCDMA Preferred." That will make your phone prefer HSPA, but it will still drop down to EDGE if necessary. You will still be able to receive calls. I've found HSPA to be good enough for browsing the web, posting on Facebook, etc.

What screen mode do you have selected? I saw a slight increase in battery life by setting mine to movie instead of adapt display. Just a heads up, colors will look washed out and bland. I prefer professional photo because colors are more true to life and still pretty punchy without being over saturated like the standard and dynamic modes.

Are you using a live wallpaper or a wallpaper with lots of bright colors? Using a darker wallpaper will help save power.

Which launcher are you using? One member found Nova Launcher to be the cause of their battery drain. If you're using a launcher like Apex, see if it has a setting to keep it in memory so your phone doesn't have to waste time/power starting it up again when you leave an app. I'd recommend Apex launcher. It has lots of customization and it's free.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

nategold

Nov 30, 2007
So... I have put in a new battery and did a factory reset. Still have insane battery drain. The one weird thing is I tried to root a while ago and ended up with a supersu app that cannot delete. My Knox counter is not tripped and I do not appear to be rooted. I am thinking if I can truly get my system back to factory it might help with the battery issues. I just don't know how to proceed without tripping my counter. I recently updated and I understand that can be an issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Face_Plant

Mar 24, 2014
Google Pixel 8 Pro
So... I have put in a new battery and did a factory reset. Still have insane battery drain. The one weird thing is I tried to root a while ago and ended up with a supersu app that cannot delete. My Knox counter is not tripped and I do not appear to be rooted. I am thinking if I can truly get my system back to factory it might help with the battery issues. I just don't know how to proceed without tripping my counter. I recently updated and I understand that can be an issue

Have you tried a custom ROM? Firekat and Dynamic Kat have both been pretty good to my battery so far. Have you used System Tuner to disable carrier IQ? Doing these things will not change the counter.

jondoe27

Mar 16, 2014
This one is a rooted KK stock NC2. Nothing to complain about.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-24-18-58-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-24-18-58-12.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 94

nategold

Nov 30, 2007
I have not tried a custom ROM, but am more than willing. Can you reccomend the best method? I have seen a few different ways. Also, do I need to be rooted to disable carrier iq? I downloaded system tuner but can't find where to do it. Johndoe, where can I find nc2. Thank you so much for being so helpful and patient with my questions

Face_Plant

Mar 24, 2014
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I have not tried a custom ROM, but am more than willing. Can you reccomend the best method? I have seen a few different ways. Also, do I need to be rooted to disable carrier iq? I downloaded system tuner but can't find where to do it. Johndoe, where can I find nc2. Thank you so much for being so helpful and patient with my questions

Here's the video I made on how to install and use Safestrap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMzV8bzEeJU&feature=youtu.be

Yes, you do need to be rooted to disable carrier IQ. Here's the video guide I promised:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Xo...ature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you on the official 4.4.2 or the leak?

Have you disabled any of the bloat?

Restricting the background data of certain apps can extend battery life because it prevents them from syncing constantly. Don't restrict the background data of apps you want notifications from.

Do you have haptic feedback turned on? Do you have it set to vibrate when you get a notification? The vibrator drains a lot of juice.

Did it start after downloading an app, or out of the blue? If you've downloaded any apps recently try uninstalling them and see if it gets any better.

Have you tried doing a factory reset? It sucks setting everything up again, but it helped my battery drain issue a bit.

Do you have any of the gimmicks like smart stay/scroll/pause, direct pen input, air view, etc turned on? Those will eat your battery fast.

Is "turn off pen detection" turned on? If not, enable it by going to settings, controls, S Pen, and see if it's selected. It should be the first thing on the list.

Do you have it syncing the weather often? Do you have notifications for Facebook, Tapatalk, the Play Store, Gmail, Twitter, etc turned on?

Is auto sync, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC, or Wi-Fi turned on constantly? Supposedly keeping multi window turned on constantly will hurt battery life too.

What's your signal like? If you have very poor LTE reception your phone will eat the battery alive trying to keep LTE. If you live in an area with poor LTE coverage it may be best just to lock it on HSPA/EDGE. You can do this by going to the dialer and typing *#*#4636#*#* and a menu should pop up. Select device information, scroll down, and you will see a line that says "set preferred network type." Touch the box below that and a long list will pop up. Scroll to the top of that list and select "WCDMA Preferred." That will make your phone prefer HSPA, but it will still drop down to EDGE if necessary. You will still be able to receive calls. I've found HSPA to be good enough for browsing the web, posting on Facebook, etc.

What screen mode do you have selected? I saw a slight increase in battery life by setting mine to movie instead of adapt display. Just a heads up, colors will look washed out and bland. I prefer professional photo because colors are more true to life and still pretty punchy without being over saturated like the standard and dynamic modes.

Are you using a live wallpaper or a wallpaper with lots of bright colors? Using a darker wallpaper will help save power.

Which launcher are you using? One member found Nova Launcher to be the cause of their battery drain. If you're using a launcher like Apex, see if it has a setting to keep it in memory so your phone doesn't have to waste time/power starting it up again when you leave an app. I'd recommend Apex launcher. It has lots of customization and it's free.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...