[MOD] {One Click Odin} Stock I897UCKH3 with boog_kh3_kernel3, NO Bootloaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Made a One Click Odin. :cool: By the way, I'm not a developer by any means. This was easy to do and I just wanted to share this with everyone. I hope some of you find it useful.
And of course, standard disclaimer applies... What you do with your phone is on you. :)

Stock I897UCKH3 with boog_kh3_kernel3, NO Bootloaders

INFO:

Stock i897uckh3 with the stock zImage removed and replaced with boog_kh3_kernel3 zImage. NO Bootloaders.

Credit and Thanks to boog for his awesome work on this kernel.--Thread on the Boog Kernel.

And a quote from boog's OP in said thread for permission to use his kernel-- "Anyone is available to use the kernel any way they like. Cook it in roms released here, flash it to your personal rom, or stock KH3! Take it apart, look at the pieces, see if you can make it better! I am far from a pro at this, and it may not be perfect, use at your own risk..yada yadda."
We also have PM'd back and forth a few times. And on a side note, boog also has made a Heimdall version of the stock kh3 with his kernel...see Here if you are interested in that option.

Credit and Thanks also to Samfirmware.com for their leaked release of the firmware.

And I need to give credit to malebornin69 for posting a question about this kind of mod being made... here. His question is what got me interested in making this Mod.

This One Click Odin should serve the purpose of getting you back to Stock KH3 with the bonus of having the boog kh3 kernel3 included, that has ClockWorkMod Recovery v4.0.1.5 built in. And in addition, no worries of flashing bootloaders because they are not included.
This does not wipe data/factory reset though. So you will have to either wipe data/factory reset prior to using this Odin or afterwards. If you do not then you will probably have issues once you flash your Dev Rom of choice. Also, I suggest that you wipe dalvik cache.
So, once you have used this One Click Odin and have wiped data/factory reset, wiped dalvik cache, then just reboot into the CWM Recovery via the button combo or adb reboot recovery and flash the Dev Rom of your choice. Or of course, you have the option of staying on the stock kh3 and using the CWM Recovery to flash mods, tweaks, modems, etc.

Note: This is a modified KH3 because in addition to the zImage that is changed, I also took the dbdata.rfs and the param.lfs files from the leaked KF1 .tar and moved them into this KH3 (these files were not in the leaked KH3 .tar file from samfirmware.com).
I did this just to make it a complete flash for those not coming from KF1 or KE3. Also, I have this set to re-partition. (the re-partition will not work without the dbdata.rfs file).

My tests of this included... Starting from stock kh3 with fuguroot and going to the stock kh3 with boog kernel through the one click odin I made, factory reset and wiped dalvik cache in CWM recovery, flashed Fusion V (this is a full wipe version too) with zero problems. Then repeated the process of going into CWM recovery and factory reseting and wiping dalvik cache and flashed Pinnacle 1.2 (not sure if this rom is a full wipe) and zero issues. Repeated the process and flashed the Victory 1.4 with zero problems as well. Repeated process and flashed the KH3 Project v1.0 rom with no problems. And finally, repeated the process in CWM recovery to factory reset and wipe dalvik cache, got into download mode and used this one click odin to get back to the Stock KH3 with the boogkernel3...and again, all good. :D

DOWNLOAD LINK ---- {One Click Odin} Stock I897UCKH3 with boog_kh3_kernel3, NO Bootloaders @ Dropbox *This is a compressed zipped folder that contains the Mod. About 185 MB. Download, Extract and Right click and Run as administrator.*
Additional download links will be in Post #2

DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS:

You must have the i897 Gingerbread Bootloaders. Gingerbread bootloaders are needed to run Gingerbread Roms. If you have not installed them, then get them--I897 Gingerbread Bootloaders , credit and thanks to Cezar`.

Download this Mod One Click Odin to your desktop.
Be sure you have the Captivate drivers installed on your computer.
Wipe data/factory reset. Wipe dalvik cache if you can.
Right click and Run as administrator the Odin.
Remove your sim card and external sdcard from you phone.
Put your phone into download mode.
Connect micro usb end of cable to phone and usb end to the computer.
Wait for Odin to recognize your device. Yellow com port will light up.
Click the big Start Button.
Sit back and watch. This should only take between 2 or 3 minutes to complete.
When the process is finished and your phone begins to reboot and you see the 2nd at&t screen you may go ahead and unplug the micro usb from your phone.
Let your phone boot all the way up.
And there you go...you now have Stock KH3 with the boog kh3 kernel3 :D

Last edited:

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Additional Download Links... Updated 9-20-2011

*These download links are a compressed zipped folder that contains the Mod. About 185 MB.*

*Download, Extract and Right click and Run as administrator.*

{One Click Odin} Stock I897UCKH3 with boog_kh3_kernel3, NO Bootloaders @ Hotfile

{One Click Odin} Stock I897UCKH3 with boog_kh3_kernel3, NO Bootloaders @ Minus (Thanks prbassplayer for the suggestion and the link to Minus.com)

boog has provided a 4shared mirror link in Post 17 (Thanks boog)

Those who appreciate this Mod, please stop by The Boog Kernel Thread and show your thanks to boog for his work on the KH3 kernel.

Last edited:

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
^ Yes, it is very popular these days. KH3 is very stable, with great battery life and the call quality is awesome. And as well, the Dev work with KH3, including yourself, is outstanding.
Thanks again for your Kernel work and for allowing me to use your kernel in this mod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium

Last edited:

nyydynasty

Sep 15, 2010
thanks for this. This is definitely helpful. Its good to see an odin package for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4-2ndtwin
R

redherring79

Thanks for putting this together. KH3 has become my daily driver. It's probably the fastest, most stable thing I've put on my Captivate. Easy to root... easy to remove the AT&T bloat with TiBu. This thing just flies. Best battery live I've ever had, too. Great modem for both voice and data. Samsung really should get this pushed out.

boog

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 15, 2008
Trenton, Ohio
^ Yes, it is very popular these days. KH3 is very stable, with great battery life and the call quality is awesome. And as well, the Dev work with KH3, including yourself, is outstanding.
Thanks again for your Kernel work and for allowing me to use your kernel in this mod.

Thanks! And your welcome, I only managed to do it with the help of people like existz, and xcal. I saw no one else releasing a cwm kernel, so I blundered my way through it lol

You guys wouldn't believe how many failed attempts I had, then had to do the fixes, and I still can't figure out the nandroid issues, I think that is in the source with differences in samsung gingerbread.

And I love the sharing that goes on here with the captivate. Other devices I have used, appeared to have secrets that no one would share. I am also thinking about writing up some sort of how to for taking the kernel apart and looking at the initramfs, and the associated scripts, and commands that can be used to find the differences in the files, and how to find what you need to change to make an injected cwm kernel, because the info is spread all over the internet, and not always in obvious spots because source availability is assumed most of the time. But, that may take me some time lol

And, I agree, so far kh3 is THE best rom for captivate, ever, and the reason for me even wanting to dig into the kernel.

And now back on topic. I will have to try this on my vm of windows at some point. But I have really fallen in love with heimdall, especially with all the flashing of kernels that I do. But more options like yours is always welcome in my book!

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

chuh

Mar 20, 2009
Enabling tethering

Is there a simple way to enable tethering? I tried various cooked gingerbread roms and I see lagging performance especially opening the email. It takes about 3 to 5 seconds to see the email list once I click on email. Used the stock 2.3.4 KH3 and really like the stock ATT/Samsung email (social hub) that has number of unread emails on the icons. None of the cooked email does that. Main thing I wanted is enable tethering.

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
^Try out Minus. Starts with 10GB can expand till 50 for free and no traffic limit. Only thing is their UI is less than great.

Thanks...may give that a try later. Right now I am uploading to Hotfile because I already had an account set up. Hopefully will be able to attach that link in 30 minutes or so.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Is there a simple way to enable tethering? I tried various cooked gingerbread roms and I see lagging performance especially opening the email. It takes about 3 to 5 seconds to see the email list once I click on email. Used the stock 2.3.4 KH3 and really like the stock ATT/Samsung email (social hub) that has number of unread emails on the icons. None of the cooked email does that. Main thing I wanted is enable tethering.

This is pure stock KH3, except for boog's kernel. The files I used to make this One Click Odin are the same files that are in the leaked KH3 from samfirmware.com

As for the tethering... the only two ways to do it on this stock kh3 is to either pay for it or use Titanium Backup and uninstall or delete the Tethering Manager. You have to be rooted of course with the Titanium Backup option.

Last edited:
Reactions: IlluminatedOne

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Additioal download links

Attached a couple of more download links in Post #2. :)

Links are through Hotfile and Minus.

Also the Dropbox link in the OP is fixed.

*These download links are a compressed zipped folder that contains the Mod. About 185 MB.*

Last edited:
R

Red5

A friend of mine wants just stock 2.3.4 so is this automatically rooted, or does that have to be done afterwards?

Also, nice to see a stock KH3 and Boogs kernel all-in-one... makes it much faster and its really convenient. Thanks for making this.

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
^ This Mod is not rooted. I'm currently just running this Mod as is, but I did root through the FuguRoot method (quick and easy).

And I appreciate the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Made a One Click Odin. :cool: By the way, I'm not a developer by any means. This was easy to do and I just wanted to share this with everyone. I hope some of you find it useful.
    And of course, standard disclaimer applies... What you do with your phone is on you. :)

Stock I897UCKH3 with boog_kh3_kernel3, NO Bootloaders

INFO:

Stock i897uckh3 with the stock zImage removed and replaced with boog_kh3_kernel3 zImage. NO Bootloaders.

Credit and Thanks to boog for his awesome work on this kernel.--Thread on the Boog Kernel.

And a quote from boog's OP in said thread for permission to use his kernel-- "Anyone is available to use the kernel any way they like. Cook it in roms released here, flash it to your personal rom, or stock KH3! Take it apart, look at the pieces, see if you can make it better! I am far from a pro at this, and it may not be perfect, use at your own risk..yada yadda."
    We also have PM'd back and forth a few times. And on a side note, boog also has made a Heimdall version of the stock kh3 with his kernel...see Here if you are interested in that option.

Credit and Thanks also to Samfirmware.com for their leaked release of the firmware.

And I need to give credit to malebornin69 for posting a question about this kind of mod being made... here. His question is what got me interested in making this Mod.

This One Click Odin should serve the purpose of getting you back to Stock KH3 with the bonus of having the boog kh3 kernel3 included, that has ClockWorkMod Recovery v4.0.1.5 built in. And in addition, no worries of flashing bootloaders because they are not included.
    This does not wipe data/factory reset though. So you will have to either wipe data/factory reset prior to using this Odin or afterwards. If you do not then you will probably have issues once you flash your Dev Rom of choice. Also, I suggest that you wipe dalvik cache.
    So, once you have used this One Click Odin and have wiped data/factory reset, wiped dalvik cache, then just reboot into the CWM Recovery via the button combo or adb reboot recovery and flash the Dev Rom of your choice. Or of course, you have the option of staying on the stock kh3 and using the CWM Recovery to flash mods, tweaks, modems, etc.

Note: This is a modified KH3 because in addition to the zImage that is changed, I also took the dbdata.rfs and the param.lfs files from the leaked KF1 .tar and moved them into this KH3 (these files were not in the leaked KH3 .tar file from samfirmware.com).
    I did this just to make it a complete flash for those not coming from KF1 or KE3. Also, I have this set to re-partition. (the re-partition will not work without the dbdata.rfs file).

My tests of this included... Starting from stock kh3 with fuguroot and going to the stock kh3 with boog kernel through the one click odin I made, factory reset and wiped dalvik cache in CWM recovery, flashed Fusion V (this is a full wipe version too) with zero problems. Then repeated the process of going into CWM recovery and factory reseting and wiping dalvik cache and flashed Pinnacle 1.2 (not sure if this rom is a full wipe) and zero issues. Repeated the process and flashed the Victory 1.4 with zero problems as well. Repeated process and flashed the KH3 Project v1.0 rom with no problems. And finally, repeated the process in CWM recovery to factory reset and wipe dalvik cache, got into download mode and used this one click odin to get back to the Stock KH3 with the boogkernel3...and again, all good. :D

DOWNLOAD LINK ---- {One Click Odin} Stock I897UCKH3 with boog_kh3_kernel3, NO Bootloaders @ Dropbox *This is a compressed zipped folder that contains the Mod. About 185 MB. Download, Extract and Right click and Run as administrator.*
    Additional download links will be in Post #2

DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS:

You must have the i897 Gingerbread Bootloaders. Gingerbread bootloaders are needed to run Gingerbread Roms. If you have not installed them, then get them--I897 Gingerbread Bootloaders , credit and thanks to Cezar`.

Download this Mod One Click Odin to your desktop.
    Be sure you have the Captivate drivers installed on your computer.
    Wipe data/factory reset. Wipe dalvik cache if you can.
    Right click and Run as administrator the Odin.
    Remove your sim card and external sdcard from you phone.
    Put your phone into download mode.
    Connect micro usb end of cable to phone and usb end to the computer.
    Wait for Odin to recognize your device. Yellow com port will light up.
    Click the big Start Button.
    Sit back and watch. This should only take between 2 or 3 minutes to complete.
    When the process is finished and your phone begins to reboot and you see the 2nd at&t screen you may go ahead and unplug the micro usb from your phone.
    Let your phone boot all the way up.
    And there you go...you now have Stock KH3 with the boog kh3 kernel3 :D
    Additional Download Links... Updated 9-20-2011

{One Click Odin} Stock I897UCKH3 with boog_kh3_kernel3, NO Bootloaders @ Hotfile

{One Click Odin} Stock I897UCKH3 with boog_kh3_kernel3, NO Bootloaders @ Minus (Thanks prbassplayer for the suggestion and the link to Minus.com)

boog has provided a 4shared mirror link in Post 17 (Thanks boog)

Those who appreciate this Mod, please stop by The Boog Kernel Thread and show your thanks to boog for his work on the KH3 kernel.

looking good! KH3 is quite the popular rom!