FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Adding a Magnet to car/desk dock to enable modes?

1,001 posts
Thanks Meter: 102

By elijahblake, Senior Member on 17th December 2010, 08:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Our phones have a magnetic sensor and I'm assuming that's how Samsung's docks automatically pull up the car/desk dock apps. So does anyone know what type of magnets (if this is how it works) and where they would need to be placed if you wanted to either mod a 3rd party dock or make your own?
18th December 2010, 07:53 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 100

More
Just do what i did with my old droid. I used the magnet.out of a phone holster, i ran it over the back till it activated, i marked the spot and made a cradle. The opposite side of the magnet should activate the.other mode......,, ie positive turned on car dock, negative turned on desk clock.
18th December 2010, 08:40 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brandon, MS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin94

Just do what i did with my old droid. I used the magnet.out of a phone holster, i ran it over the back till it activated, i marked the spot and made a cradle. The opposite side of the magnet should activate the.other mode......,, ie positive turned on car dock, negative turned on desk clock.

Guessing I need to use a weak one ha

Sent from my sch-i500 Showcase using XDA app
18th December 2010, 06:49 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 100

More
I tried it this morning and i couldn't find that sweet spot for the magnet to activate
18th December 2010, 10:21 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brandon, MS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin94

I tried it this morning and i couldn't find that sweet spot for the magnet to activate

hmm, maybe it's more to it than that on the galaxy?

Did you have your phone plugged in when you tried? That could be a condition..
18th December 2010, 10:42 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
There does not appear to be a magnet in the car dock, it seems the dock screen activation is linked to the micro usb connector on the dock. I checked the entire car dock with a paperclip and found no magnet. When you install the phone into the dock it will only activate the dock screen when you slide the top piece into the micro usb connector..
19th December 2010, 04:42 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brandon, MS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1az

There does not appear to be a magnet in the car dock, it seems the dock screen activation is linked to the micro usb connector on the dock. I checked the entire car dock with a paperclip and found no magnet. When you install the phone into the dock it will only activate the dock screen when you slide the top piece into the micro usb connector..

Damn samsung, why you wanna do that? I would have loved to buy both docks if they allowed the phone to be in a case

Sent from my sch-i500 Showcase using XDA app
19th December 2010, 09:26 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Yeah, I just ordered a dock for the express purpose of opening it up and analyzing the special usb connection. I need to make a custom dock/cable for mounting in the dash of my car.
19th December 2010, 10:42 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brandon, MS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji

Yeah, I just ordered a dock for the express purpose of opening it up and analyzing the special usb connection. I need to make a custom dock/cable for mounting in the dash of my car.

cool... please post your findings..
21st December 2010, 03:09 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahblake

cool... please post your findings..

Will do, but right now I can say this thing's not going to be easy to get into without tearing it up.
21st December 2010, 04:50 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brandon, MS

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji

Will do, but right now I can say this thing's not going to be easy to get into without tearing it up.

I believe ya on that... I had the desk dock for a day or two, but took it back since I couldn't keep my case on it... I didn't really inspect it too much for screws though.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)