The Samsung Secret - Why U.S. Galaxy S Phones run Android 2.1 Still

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 228

By The.Samsung.Secret, Junior Member on 14th January 2011, 12:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th January 2011, 10:01 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
I think it's pretty god damn egregious that they'd charge large sums of money for code thats open source and freely available. I'd also think it has to be against some sort of law or license.

16th January 2011, 10:14 PM |#12  
Flag Raleigh, NC
Thanks Meter: 96

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Hands

I think it's pretty god damn egregious that they'd charge large sums of money for code thats open source and freely available. I'd also think it has to be against some sort of law or license.

Disclaimer: I am not defending Samsung. Upgrading an embedded platform (regardless is the software is open source or not) is an extensive process that takes the time of engineers and testers...so it does cost Samsung money. I think the argument that just because Android is open source, Samsung has no reason to charge carriers for updates is off-base. This type of R&D cost money....maybe not a whole bunch, but some investment dollars are still allocated.

With that said, if Samsung led the public to believe that US Galaxy S devices would be upgraded to Android 2.2, then they need to absolutely hold up their end of the bargain. A lot of these corporate types lack long-term thinking. Samsung could begin to build a good fanbase if they pickup the slack in the customer support department by providing timely upgrades, fixes, and other types of support. This fanbase will continue to buy their products and recommend others to do so. This is why Apple consistently ranks highest customer satisfaction, they provide software support for their products for at least a year, mostly two.

At this point, their public image (in my eyes) has taken a dive. I own the Captivate, a Samsung monitor, and digital camera. But these will be my last three Samsung products forever and I will not recommend any others Samsung products.
The Following User Says Thank You to emuneee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift emuneee Ad-Free
16th January 2011, 10:33 PM |#13  
Flag St. Louis, MO, USA
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Great post. Makes me dislike Samsung even more now!
16th January 2011, 11:15 PM |#14  
Flag Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thanks for bringing this side of the story to light, and risking your job to do so. If this story holds any bearing, Samsung is an entirely terrible company who hold zero care for their customers. They are only concerned with profits and pushing out new products instead of making their current customers happy and possibly turning them into repeat customers. Pitiful.
16th January 2011, 11:47 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Great OP, which leads to three comments / thoughts.

First, if a carrier, such as T-Mobile USA decided to carry the rumored Vibrant 4G, this would suggest that either 1) they have renegotiated their contract with Samsung or 2) that they don't care about their customer base - given what their existing Vibrant customers have experienced. We will know, in due course, what path T-Mobile USA has chosen to walk.

Second, it sounds like the iPhone has an advantage over Android based products because Apple is in a position to update the operating system without involving the carrier. If this is the case, then financially, one would expect carriers to start pushing the iPhone to their customers. I don't see this happening yet as many carriers have really built up their Android lines. But it will be interesting to see what happens now that other carrier(s) start to carry the iPhone.

Third, it seems like this is an area where Google really needs to step in and set expectations - with carriers, manufacturers, and consumers. Right now, we are witnessing a growing dissatisfaction with Samsung. However a recent report showed that the best manufacturer for pushing updates - HTC - only had a 50% track record. Consumers, who are locked into a 2 year contract, will grow frustrated if their only means of getting the latest operating system (including some "non-critical" bug fixes) is to purchase another phone at full price. This will affect how Android and Google are perceived.
16th January 2011, 11:49 PM |#16  
Flag North Brunswick
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Seriously, why do we need to keep telling people this:
Never
Ever
Ever
Buy a phone for promised future updates.

You buy it for what it can do now, if it can't do that, then you have zero right to complain when it doesn't.
Yet in all seriousness, what does it matter to anyone on this forum? We all have the capabilities to upgrade our devices to the latest roms. Yes, pushed out updates give us updated drivers, packages and all around system fixes, but seriously guys, even with a N1 I don't even wait for OTAs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrtcwlvl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Scrtcwlvl Ad-Free
16th January 2011, 11:53 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
OP, can you maybe link to some official documentation on this? Not that I doubt you for a second, but putting out some dox would light a serious fire under Samsung's ass...
16th January 2011, 11:55 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
So does this have anything to do with the fact that AT&T was/is(?) dumping the Captivate on the marketplace?

Last July, it was giving away Captivates. I have heard rumors that some folks are STILL able to procure free Captivates.

Is this the beginning of a falling out between Samsung and AT&T?
17th January 2011, 12:05 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 14

Donate to Me
More
Awesome, thanks for the news. This article explains a lot but on a different note, I'm not sure about "effort on Samsung’s end is rather minimal" is 100% accurate. Have you seen how crazy TouchWiz is integrated into stock Android OS, it is pretty ridiculous when comparing to to Motorola's Moto Blur...
17th January 2011, 12:29 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Smile No update - No problem
No worries. The lack of update to Froyo forced my hand. I found the wonderful world of XDA and also taught myself how to choose custom ROMs, tweak features, and remove Sprint bloatware that I never wanted anyway.

So this little spat of theirs has actually provided great benefit to me. I've learned how to customize my phone and I've learned that Samsung is a ****ing nitwit of a company. The Galaxy S is my first and last Samsung phone. I'm very happy with it, currently, with my custom ROM. However, when the time for an upgrade comes, so long Sammy.

I hope your extra fees for open source software covers your future losses from me and others jumping ship.

Oh wait, no I don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to probation For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift probation Ad-Free
17th January 2011, 01:04 AM |#21  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipyaad

OP, can you maybe link to some official documentation on this? Not that I doubt you for a second, but putting out some dox would light a serious fire under Samsung's ass...

Considering the nature of the post and that the guy, by doing this, is risking his job, I am sure this is considered a "leak" not an official message. Releasing copies of internal docs almost always get someone fired.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread