By poseidon5213, Member on 26th April 2012, 05:43 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th March 2018, 11:54 AM |#19151  
Flag Kraków
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownshyness

Hi there, I'm new to the game. So my last phone (Huawei P10) is not usable at all after a fall and needs to be replaced. I was quite happy with the size and display, but I'd like the new one to be a little closer to stock Android. I don't mind spending a bit, but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying an S9 or something in that range. I've been looking at the 5T, but it seems a little to big. Any recommendations? Maybe just something to put LineageOS on? Not quite sure.

Lenovo seems to be selling pretty much stock Android experience on their headsets. Otherwise Xiaomi offers a lot of bang for your buck if You're willing to spend time getting rid of MIUI and flashing in something that is usable. I own Xiaomi Mi Max and love it for the size of screen (6.4") and battery, but if You want something smaller, my Mrs has a Mi 6 and it's an absolutely stunning piece of tech (she has the ceramic version) at 5.15" of screen. They have something for everyone I guess, and soon enough they'll be pushing out Mi 7 in two screen sizes. Xiaomi unlock your bootloader without complaining, so flashing custom ROMs in isn't a problem.

12th March 2018, 12:22 PM |#19152  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzysieq

Lenovo seems to be selling pretty much stock Android experience on their headsets. Otherwise Xiaomi offers a lot of bang for your buck if You're willing to spend time getting rid of MIUI and flashing in something that is usable. I own Xiaomi Mi Max and love it for the size of screen (6.4") and battery, but if You want something smaller, my Mrs has a Mi 6 and it's an absolutely stunning piece of tech (she has the ceramic version) at 5.15" of screen. They have something for everyone I guess, and soon enough they'll be pushing out Mi 7 in two screen sizes. Xiaomi unlock your bootloader without complaining, so flashing custom ROMs in isn't a problem.

Agree,
Xiaomi is developer friendly, though they are late to party in updating android version or release of kernel sources but development support for mi phones is too good.
12th March 2018, 06:15 PM |#19153  
Hell
Thanks Meter: 118

More
Galaxy S8 or Xperia XZ premium?
13th March 2018, 12:44 AM |#19154  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Cheap and easily hackable
Looking for a basic, cheap phone ($50-$100) that can run LineageOS. Can be a few years old. I only need it for Wifi connectivity and basic stuff like an alarm clock for streaming. Totally fine with something that's a few years old or more. Had a Nexus 7 2013, but it died. There are just too many options and I'm not very familiar with the Android device landscape.

Thanks.
13th March 2018, 04:24 AM |#19155  
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcore

Galaxy S8 or Xperia XZ premium?

Obviously s8

---------- Post added at 04:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by orever

Looking for a basic, cheap phone ($50-$100) that can run LineageOS. Can be a few years old. I only need it for Wifi connectivity and basic stuff like an alarm clock for streaming. Totally fine with something that's a few years old or more. Had a Nexus 7 2013, but it died. There are just too many options and I'm not very familiar with the Android device landscape.

Thanks.

Old oneplus one, any redmi 3 series phone, nexus 5,zuk z1, z2 etc, galaxy s4 are some of the options.
13th March 2018, 05:02 PM |#19156  
Flag colorado springs
Thanks Meter: 17

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by orever

Thanks.

Lg stylo 3 plus
14th March 2018, 09:06 AM |#19157  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
This might be a dumb set of questions but I don't know the answers and can't find them anywhere that I trust as much as XDA. So here goes!

1. Can I buy a CDMA phone that is "unlocked" and use it on Verizon? I am tied to Verizon for the time being. I am thinking about the Pixel 2 XL but would welcome generic answers in case I change my mind.
2. If I buy an "unlocked" Pixel 2 XL, I assume that means it is SIM-unlocked (so I can move it to Verizon), not OEM-unlocked (so I can root it). Is this the correct understanding of "unlocked in this context?
3. If I am right about #2, is it possible to OEM-unlock the Pixel 2 XL, or otherwise get a way to root it?

Thanks a lot for any guidance.
14th March 2018, 11:17 AM |#19158  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Note 8 or Pixel 2XL
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the game. I have an old Galaxy S4 which is about to die so I'm trying to decide what my next phone is going to be. I take a lot of photos and watch videos, use a lot social medias so my two chioces are Samsung galaxy note 8 and Pixel 2 XL. What would you guys suggest? Also I'm an engineering student, so I use the calculator and apps like wolfram alpha or similar.

Thanks
15th March 2018, 12:00 AM |#19159  
Flag toronto
Thanks Meter: 8,014

More
Pixel 2 xl is a good choice.

Id go S9 plus over note 8 though due to the fingerprint sensor not being in an idiotic location and the stereo speakers.

sent from my Pixel 2 XL or Note FE
15th March 2018, 04:05 AM |#19160  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisleonard

This might be a dumb set of questions but I don't know the answers and can't find them anywhere that I trust as much as XDA. So here goes!

1. Can I buy a CDMA phone that is "unlocked" and use it on Verizon? I am tied to Verizon for the time being. I am thinking about the Pixel 2 XL but would welcome generic answers in case I change my mind.
2. If I buy an "unlocked" Pixel 2 XL, I assume that means it is SIM-unlocked (so I can move it to Verizon), not OEM-unlocked (so I can root it). Is this the correct understanding of "unlocked in this context?
3. If I am right about #2, is it possible to OEM-unlock the Pixel 2 XL, or otherwise get a way to root it?

Thanks a lot for any guidance.

Ping ... anybody have insight on this? I'm also wondering if I'd need a custom ROM on the Pixel 2 XL to prevent Verizon from locking it with an OTA, or if it would stay OEM-unlocked even after an OTA.
15th March 2018, 05:26 AM |#19161  
Thanks Meter: 174

More
what do u guys suggest for a budget front facing speaker phone with good battery life? this is a rare combination that's hard to find
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)