[Guide] Returning to Stock and/or Unbricking your device Updated for Android 4.3!!!

Search This thread

chris.wueste

Dec 10, 2011
Eagle Pass, TX
First of all, I am in no way responsible for anything you do to your tablet period.

I have seen a couple of people asking how to return the Nexus 7 to stock after it has been unlocked, rooted and so on, so I figured I would write a quick guide as its super easy to do. Also, please make sure you make a backup of anything you don't want to lose. This is important.

Before you begin, please make sure you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

1) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 at https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/nakasi-jwr66v-factory-d341d356.tgz

2) Extract the factory image into the same directory as your ADB and Fastboot executibles (e.g. "\android-sdk\platform-tools")

3) Plug in your device. If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory, then type
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.

4) Type
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img

5) Next type
Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

6) Now type
Code:
fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jwr66v.zip

7) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty or security purpouses, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type

Code:
fastboot oem lock

8) If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, type
Code:
fastboot reboot

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.3 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes if you so desire.

Additionally, here is an instructional video courtesy of XDA user SladeNoctis.

Also, thank you to XDA user Shano56 for the formatting help on this post.

Last edited:

SladeNoctis

May 29, 2010
New York
First of all, I am in no way responsible for anything you do to your tablet period.

I have seen a couple of people asking how to return the Nexus 7 to stock after it has been unlocked, rooted and so on, so I figured I would write a quick guide as its super easy to do. Also, please make sure you make a backup of anything you don't want to lose. This is important.

1) Make sure you have your ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

2) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 here

3) Unzip the factory image into the same directory as your Adb and Fastboot drivers.

4) Plug in your device. With the device on the home screen, type "ADB reboot bootloader" or if your device is off, press and hold both volume keys and press the power button. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch.

5) This should reboot you into the bootloader. Now type "fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img"

6) Next type "fastboot reboot-bootloader"

7) Now type "fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jrn84d.zip"

8) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty purposes, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type "fastboot oem lock"

9) I don't remember if the tablet automatically reboots at this point but if it doesn't just type "fastboot reboot"

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.1 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes.

You should change the title to [Guide] How to return to Stock / Unbrick your Nexus 7

Helps out those getting bootloops or softbricks from geting root access in certain ways or messing with the build.prop

chris.wueste

Dec 10, 2011
Eagle Pass, TX
You should change the title to [Guide] How to return to Stock / Unbrick your Nexus 7

Helps out those getting bootloops or softbricks from geting root access in certain ways or messing with the build.prop

Not a bad idea. Done and done. Also, I have proofread it several times over to ensure it is correct but would you mind making sure that all of the commands were typed correctly. My eyes are going crosseyed over here.

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Nice guide man, I changed the format a little to make it easier to read. Use it if you want, won't be offended if you don't.

Before you begin, please make sure you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

1) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 here

2) Extract the factory image into the same directory as your ADB and Fastboot executibles (e.g. "\android-sdk\platform-tools")

3) Plug in your device. If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory, then type
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.

4) Type
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img

5) Next type
Code:

6) Now type
Code:
fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jrn84d.zip

7) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty or security purpouses, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type

Code:
fastboot oem lock

Code:
fastboot reboot

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.1 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes if you so desire.

If you want to use it and are too lazy to quote my post :p - http://pastie.org/pastes/4279753/text

The commands look good to me however I've never used "fastboot -w update" so can't say for that

chris.wueste

Dec 10, 2011
Eagle Pass, TX
Nice guide man, I changed the format a little to make it easier to read. Use it if you want, won't be offended if you don't.

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

4) Type
Code:

5) Next type
Code:

6) Now type
Code:

Code:
fastboot oem lock

Code:
fastboot reboot

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.1 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes if you so desire.

If you want to use it and are too lazy to quote my post :p - http://pastie.org/pastes/4279753/text

The commands look good to me however I've never used "fastboot -w update" so can't say for that

I updated the OP with your edits in it. Thanks for the help. I quoted you at the bottom

Reactions: Shano56

chrisjm00

Jul 29, 2007
Nottingham, MD
Assuming you have a nandroid, can you boot into the bootloader, and simply ADB reboot recovery? Or does that bug prevent you from even doing that?

kimbernator

Feb 1, 2011
I'm sitting here at the command prompt with it on "erasing userdata"

It's been a couple minutes and I'm freakin' out! How long is it supposed to take? Everything flashed correctly, if I start the device now will there be an issue?

EDIT: Nevermind, just rebooted from the bootloader in the tablet and it booted fine. I'll get the OTA to 4.1.1 and that should probably fix any outstanding little issues.

Last edited:

nugalonious

Jul 30, 2010
hard brick?

I am stuck at the Google logo with a padlock and I'm pretty sure I have a hard bricked tablet. fastboot doesn't see the tablet or my computer for that mater through dmesg.

I've rebooted it countless times with vol + and vol - pushed and any combo thereof. It will only turn off completely when the battery dies because holding down the power key for 10 secs just reboots it back to the Google logo in about 5 seconds. I guess at this point I'm just waiting for Google to give me a RMA for a refund and I'll move on unless someone has any other ideas?

Nexus Phreak

Jul 5, 2012
LX
Pressing and holding the Volume down + Power buttons works just fine to launch the bootloader (at least for me).

No need to press (and force) the entire volume rocker button at all. ;)

Last edited:

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am stuck at the Google logo with a padlock and I'm pretty sure I have a hard bricked tablet. fastboot doesn't see the tablet or my computer for that mater through dmesg.

I've rebooted it countless times with vol + and vol - pushed and any combo thereof. It will only turn off completely when the battery dies because holding down the power key for 10 secs just reboots it back to the Google logo in about 5 seconds. I guess at this point I'm just waiting for Google to give me a RMA for a refund and I'll move on unless someone has any other ideas?

Try and press and hold just the power button for 30 seconds or so to re-boot the tablet and you should be fine and it should boot up just fine. From fastboot you cannot go into cwm recovery because of a bug.

yeahthatsme

Jun 8, 2010
I'm trying to return to stock but get this message in the window from the ADB command after flashing the stock ROM:

FAILED (remote: (FileWriteFailed))

Anyone seen that before or have any ideas to fix?

I tried wiping cache/factory reset from CMW but no joy.

Kas206

May 30, 2009
London
Thanks. Worked for me. I did get worried when i got (data transfer failure (too many links)) error when trying to flash the bootloader.

Turns out it was the USB port. I switched the ports and all was well.

But I followed the commands in side the flash-all.sh file

fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

I'm trying to return to stock but get this message in the window from the ADB command after flashing the stock ROM:

FAILED (remote: (FileWriteFailed))

Anyone seen that before or have any ideas to fix?

I tried wiping cache/factory reset from CMW but no joy.

Try the commands i posted above and see what happens

Last edited:
Reactions: yeahthatsme

yeahthatsme

Jun 8, 2010
Nuts. I tried it on many USB ports and did your commands one by one. Ended up in the same spot. It happens when writing 'userdata'...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 at https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/nakasi-jwr66v-factory-d341d356.tgz

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

4) Type
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img

5) Next type
    Code:

6) Now type
    Code:
    fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jwr66v.zip

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

Code:
    fastboot reboot

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.3 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes if you so desire.

Also, thank you to XDA user Shano56 for the formatting help on this post.

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

4) Type
    Code:

5) Next type
    Code:

6) Now type
    Code:

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

Code:
    fastboot reboot

1) Make sure you have your ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

2) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 here

3) Unzip the factory image into the same directory as your Adb and Fastboot drivers.

4) Plug in your device. With the device on the home screen, type "ADB reboot bootloader" or if your device is off, press and hold both volume keys and press the power button. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch.

5) This should reboot you into the bootloader. Now type "fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img"

6) Next type "fastboot reboot-bootloader"

7) Now type "fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jrn84d.zip"

8) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty purposes, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type "fastboot oem lock"

9) I don't remember if the tablet automatically reboots at this point but if it doesn't just type "fastboot reboot"

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.1 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes.

We are now at Android 4.3. Already booted into it. It works. OP has been updated!!!!!!
    I'm not sure what happened but the last thing I did was flash a recovery then a fastboot reboot. After that only Google logo no matter what I do. Actually had to pull back cover off and pull the battery cause it wouldn't turn off any other way

Went back through my terminal session and the exact commands went like this.

./adb reboot bootloader
    ./fastboot flash recovery ~/Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1-grouper.img
    ./fastboot reboot

thats it.

If you still see an image...you shouldn't be bricked. U should try turning your tablet off for 20-30 mins, then holding all 3 buttons at once. Try it plugged in and not plugged in

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2