Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Market description
live dmesg / logcat is the one and only boot animation replacement that shows the actual dmesg / logcat log (kernel / Android debug messages). It looks a bit similar to a BIOS boot. Handy for developers too! Unlike other similar apps, the information you see on screen is real and live, not a pre-recorded fake.

The paid version price is aimed at being "one beer" (at the bar, not the supermarket). Google does the price conversion, but if it comes out way above that in your area, let me know.

!! requires a fully rooted device !!

!! install on DEVICE, NOT on SD-CARD !!

The paid version adds features to hide the copyright notice, enlarge the text size, and rotate the display. For the ultimate geekgasm, get the paid versions of both live dmesg and live logcat, and display both in split screen mode during boot. In that case you can also switch between the three modes during boot by tapping the screen.

The application uses some (root) trickery to get itself installed and running, and it may not be compatible with all devices. It also requires writable /system in many cases ("S-OFF"). It has been tested and found working on the following devices (though it may not work on all firmwares and kernels for a specific device):

- Samsung Galaxy S
- Samsung Galaxy S II
- Samsung Galaxy S III
- Samsung Galaxy Note
- Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7"
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1"
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7"
- Asus/Google Nexus 7
- Samsung Vibrant
- Samsung Captivate
- HTC/Google Nexus One
- HTC Thunderbolt
- HTC Desire
- HTC Desire Z (T-Mo G2)
- HTC Desire HD
- HTC Incredible
- HTC HD2
- HTC Evo
- HTC Hero
- Motorola Droid
- Motorola Droid X
- Motorola Cliq
- Motorola Milestone
- Motorola Atrix 4G
- MyTouch 4G
- LG Optimus 2X

It is likely to work on many more devices, if you use a non-listed device and it works, please leave a comment! Note that it will never work on ALL devices, so please don't just rate it 1-star if it doesn't work for you.

Video
A really quick video of it in action (dmesg version) can be found here: YouTube

Screenshots
See the attachments at bottom of this post

Downloads

live dmesg lite - free

Market link (mobile): market://details?id=eu.chainfire.livedmesg.lite

Market link (desktop): http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.livedmesg.lite

live dmesg - paid

Market link (mobile): market://details?id=eu.chainfire.livedmesg

Market link (desktop): http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.livedmesg

live logcat lite - free

Market link (mobile): market://details?id=eu.chainfire.livelogcat.lite

Market link (desktop): http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.livelogcat.lite

live logcat - paid

Market link (mobile): market://details?id=eu.chainfire.livelogcat

Market link (desktop): http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.livelogcat

Attachments

• dmesg-boot.png
    dmesg-boot.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 8,064
  • logcat-boot.png
    logcat-boot.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 7,442
  • split-boot.png
    split-boot.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 6,523
Last edited:

Bo$s

I'm using yours CF-Root 2.9 kernel on SGS with stock JVK and app says "Sorry, it appears your firmware is not compatible! (Could not find the boot animation binary)". It's strange because custom boot animation works for me and file /system/bin/bootanimation exists. Also it can be found in /sbin/. Tried to remove it from /system/bin/ (maybe conflict?) but it still gives me the same error.

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
I'm using yours CF-Root 2.9 kernel on SGS with stock JVK and app says "Sorry, it appears your firmware is not compatible! (Could not find the boot animation binary)". It's strange because custom boot animation works for me and file /system/bin/bootanimation exists. Also it can be found in /sbin/. Tried to remove it from /system/bin/ (maybe conflict?) but it still gives me the same error.

It's due to the special way CF-Root handles boot animations. This is fixed in CF-Root 3.0 which will be released later today.

Reactions: emelie and Bo$s

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu

CF-Root 3.0 is out, should fix the issue.

Reactions: emelie

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
updated to v1.1

live dmesg has been updated to v1.1, which adds the options to disable the copyright notice and to double the text size!

zul8er

Jul 1, 2008
This is awesome!! Purchased soon as I saw this linked on Android Police. Nice Job!

Running Vibrant with Bionix 1.3.1

alexbobp

Nov 27, 2010
I went ahead and bought the app...
I can assure you it works on the HTC g2. About to test it on my nook color.

Edit: works on the nook color too. Cyanogenmod 7 on both devices.

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Have seen that, but he uses a modified kernel. The trick is getting any of this to work with a stock kernel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Market description
    live dmesg / logcat is the one and only boot animation replacement that shows the actual dmesg / logcat log (kernel / Android debug messages). It looks a bit similar to a BIOS boot. Handy for developers too! Unlike other similar apps, the information you see on screen is real and live, not a pre-recorded fake.

The paid version price is aimed at being "one beer" (at the bar, not the supermarket). Google does the price conversion, but if it comes out way above that in your area, let me know.

!! requires a fully rooted device !!

!! install on DEVICE, NOT on SD-CARD !!

The paid version adds features to hide the copyright notice, enlarge the text size, and rotate the display. For the ultimate geekgasm, get the paid versions of both live dmesg and live logcat, and display both in split screen mode during boot. In that case you can also switch between the three modes during boot by tapping the screen.

The application uses some (root) trickery to get itself installed and running, and it may not be compatible with all devices. It also requires writable /system in many cases ("S-OFF"). It has been tested and found working on the following devices (though it may not work on all firmwares and kernels for a specific device):

- Samsung Galaxy S
    - Samsung Galaxy S II
    - Samsung Galaxy S III
    - Samsung Galaxy Note
    - Samsung/Google Galaxy Nexus
    - Samsung Galaxy Tab 7"
    - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1"
    - Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7"
    - Asus/Google Nexus 7
    - Samsung Vibrant
    - Samsung Captivate
    - HTC/Google Nexus One
    - HTC Thunderbolt
    - HTC Desire
    - HTC Desire Z (T-Mo G2)
    - HTC Desire HD
    - HTC Incredible
    - HTC HD2
    - HTC Evo
    - HTC Hero
    - Motorola Droid
    - Motorola Droid X
    - Motorola Cliq
    - Motorola Milestone
    - Motorola Atrix 4G
    - MyTouch 4G
    - LG Optimus 2X

It is likely to work on many more devices, if you use a non-listed device and it works, please leave a comment! Note that it will never work on ALL devices, so please don't just rate it 1-star if it doesn't work for you.

Video
    A really quick video of it in action (dmesg version) can be found here: YouTube

Screenshots
    See the attachments at bottom of this post

Downloads

live dmesg lite - free

Market link (mobile): market://details?id=eu.chainfire.livedmesg.lite

Market link (desktop): http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.livedmesg.lite

live dmesg - paid

Market link (mobile): market://details?id=eu.chainfire.livedmesg

Market link (desktop): http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.livedmesg

live logcat lite - free

Market link (mobile): market://details?id=eu.chainfire.livelogcat.lite

Market link (desktop): http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.livelogcat.lite

live logcat - paid

Market link (mobile): market://details?id=eu.chainfire.livelogcat

Market link (desktop): http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.livelogcat
    Believe it or not, I just updated live dmesg (and lite) and live logcat (and lite) to v3.0 on Google Play. Includes numerous crash fixes, ICS and Jelly Bean specific fixes, input fixes, etc. Tested it on some new devices as well (SGS3, Nexus7).

As always, it may take Google Play a few hours to update, so make it says v3.0 !
    Please have the decency to support your app

I am going to go out on a limb and say that this app, despite how great it may be in its (rumored to exist) working state, should be removed from the play store. It is really not cool to put a paid app out there and completely abandon it, while its incompatibility with newer devices creates a growing throng of disappointed and confused but still worshipful fans, clutching their bootlooped devices and desperately searching for any scrap of information on how to undo the damage. I respect Chainfire's work as much as the next guy, but seriously - not so much as a single comment since 2012? Leaving a dangerous and completely unsupported app on the market, despite all the warnings and disclaimers in the world, is just unethical. Now excuse me while I nurse my poor bootlooped little tab back to health :crying:

It's due to the special way CF-Root handles boot animations. This is fixed in CF-Root 3.0 which will be released later today.