[HOWTO] Restore to stock for root users and non-root users UPDATED 5/17/2011

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
Stop, listen. Follow my directions, if you fail to follow directions I will no longer help you. Don't PM me and ask. If you screw up ask in the thread.

Rooted Users (Non - Root Users scroll down below):

MR1 RUU
http://www.multiupload.com/KU7GSF2EY0
PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip - c64b4367086fff4f51ec3d5d766a0456

Bootloader (FLASH THIS LAST) FLASHING THIS WITHOUT SUCESSFULLY FLASHING THE ABOVE FILE WILL CAUSE A SECURITY WARNING
http://www.multiupload.com/26WG1UZCXR
abda920f3e159fb05c00d8c54a5b8768 - PG05IMG_hboot_1.4.0000.zip

Flash the above PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip to restore everything to stock + OTA BUT still will have the s-off bootloader.
Rename PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip as PG05IMG.zip, and flash through hboot (like in the root guide).

To restore the bootloader, rename PG05IMG_hboot_1.4.0000.zip as PG05IMG.zip and flash through the bootloader. DO NOT FLASH THIS unless you are absolutely sure PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip flashed to your device, without issue.

Now you are done, enjoy. If you screwed up, and got a security warning contact me, don't stress. Then again, don't screw up.

Non root users wanting to return to 1.12.605.6 (Stock, pre OTA) can continue below:

NOT FOR ROOT USERS

Taken from AndroidPolice: [Tutorial] How To "Un-Root" The HTC ThunderBolt And Return It To Stock. Please check the site out.

One of the most popular questions about rooting the ThunderBolt is how to undo the process and return to stock, which renews your eligibility for customer support. Well, here you go:

Instructions:
Please read the whole tutorial first, and pay attention to every detail. Note that your battery needs to be charged to at least 40% at the beginning of the process, and remember to check the MD5 sums of all downloaded files before diving in. As always, neither Android Police nor Team AndIRC are responsible for any damage this may cause to your phone, and, needless to say, returning to stock means you will no longer be able to use root apps like ShootMe and Titanium Backup.

First, download the following files:

Stock firmware (MD5 sum: 7141f5620f6128af77d50587e341f4b0)
exploits.zip (MD5 sum: 3b359efd76aac456ba7fb0d6972de3af)

Next, push exploits.zip and misc.img.

Code:
    adb push misc.img /data/local/
    adb push busybox /data/local/
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox

To gain root and flash misc.img:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/misc.img

If the output is anything other than "c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de," stop and start over again.

Now let’s write misc.img:

Code:
dd if=/data/local/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17

Rename "PG05IMG_Mecha_VERIZON_WWE_1.12.605.6_Radio_1.16.00.0223r_NV_8k_1.41_9k_1.64_
release_174685_signed.zip" to "PG05IMG.zip" before placing it on your SD card.
Finally, reboot into bootloader mode by entering the following command. Allow the stock firmware to flash.

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

You’re done – your phone should now be stock, S-ON.

Last edited:

kriskmk

Jun 7, 2010
Utopia
Looks like I'll be going back to Froyo for now. I believe the Sense in GB leak is older than the stock on the device.. plus.. camera doesn't work, weather in clock widget doesn't work.. quadrant score is pretty low.. As for now.. I don't see any solid reason to upgrade to GB.. (though I wish I did).. sigh!

clutchmasters

Dec 21, 2010
New York
Can anyone help me out? I am not able to return to stock. I have BAMF remix 1.6.3 installed and trying to get back to stock as i have to send this device back to Verizon for replacement. I tried everything..file name is correct....md5 sum is correct however in final step when i tried to load the stock FW the boot-loader says wrong image!!

i downloaded stock FW from every possible source but no different!

Please Help!

spjoneser

Jun 5, 2010
If I wanted to unroot and use pre ota software? Would I have to perform both procedures or is there a way to go straight to the pre ota with s-on?

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
If I wanted to unroot and use pre ota software? Would I have to perform both procedures or is there a way to go straight to the pre ota with s-on?

Take the pre ota RUU, and make a custom ruu out of it without the hboot, and then proceed with the instructions in the first half.

spjoneser

Jun 5, 2010
Take the pre ota RUU, and make a custom ruu out of it without the hboot, and then proceed with the instructions in the first half.

First of all Jcase, thanks for the time, I know it's valuable to the community.

So just so I'm clear.... All I need to do is remove "hboot_7630_1.04.0000_110223.nb0" from the pre ota ruu or is there more to be altered than just that?
And if that's all I have to do is flash those seperate, could you tell me briefly why you could not just flash all at once? Would it not flash the rest of it if the stock hboot was installed first?

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
First of all Jcase, thanks for the time, I know it's valuable to the community.

So just so I'm clear.... All I need to do is remove "hboot_7630_1.04.0000_110223.nb0" from the pre ota ruu or is there more to be altered than just that?
And if that's all I have to do is flash those seperate, could you tell me briefly why you could not just flash all at once? Would it not flash the rest of it if the stock hboot was installed first?

Yes, because some radios seem to cause the files to flash in different orders, doing it like this keeps me from having to make multiple versions.

Sent from my LG Revolution

Reactions: spjoneser

Androidfreakz

Oct 12, 2010
Question I have used the oneclick program to get ride of the NV recovery but I think im still rooted because I still see my superuser program on my stock 2.2. Can I just download Rom Manager and use clockwork Recovery to flash the Zips? I have to stock recover now which just formats the phone pretty much.

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
Question I have used the oneclick program to get ride of the NV recovery but I think im still rooted because I still see my superuser program on my stock 2.2. Can I just download Rom Manager and use clockwork Recovery to flash the Zips? I have to stock recover now which just formats the phone pretty much.

You need to consult the author of the program, because I don't know what it did, I can't support their application.

Sent from my LG Revolution

AnalyzeFaith

Nov 19, 2010
This flashes EVERYTHING back to stock? I have my boss tripping that his phone is bad after rooting it. I want to know if this reverts the baseband back to stock too?

droidrev71

Sep 18, 2010
Quad cities, Illinois
i am rooted and so i followed directions for first file and lost root.. so for the second file(its been forever since rooting) do i run adb commands( like step 6 for rooting) for install or can i use fastboot and bootloader? Does the second file bring root back?

Last edited:

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
i am rooted and so i followed directions for first file and lost root.. so for the second file(its been forever since rooting) do i run adb commands( like step 6 for rooting) for install or can i use fastboot and bootloader? Does the second file bring root back?

Of course you lost root, this is for restoring to stock. It removes root.

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
well the good news is it works..the bad news is i didn't realize it was back to factory stock (like out of the box) which is very useful.. my bad.. so how do i install the bootloader file?

if you are S-off, you can just flash the MR1 upgrade from the root guide, otherwise you have to do a complete re-root.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stop, listen. Follow my directions, if you fail to follow directions I will no longer help you. Don't PM me and ask. If you screw up ask in the thread.

Rooted Users (Non - Root Users scroll down below):

MR1 RUU
    PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip - c64b4367086fff4f51ec3d5d766a0456

Bootloader (FLASH THIS LAST) FLASHING THIS WITHOUT SUCESSFULLY FLASHING THE ABOVE FILE WILL CAUSE A SECURITY WARNING
    http://www.multiupload.com/26WG1UZCXR
    abda920f3e159fb05c00d8c54a5b8768 - PG05IMG_hboot_1.4.0000.zip

Flash the above PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip to restore everything to stock + OTA BUT still will have the s-off bootloader.
    Rename PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip as PG05IMG.zip, and flash through hboot (like in the root guide).

To restore the bootloader, rename PG05IMG_hboot_1.4.0000.zip as PG05IMG.zip and flash through the bootloader. DO NOT FLASH THIS unless you are absolutely sure PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip flashed to your device, without issue.

Now you are done, enjoy. If you screwed up, and got a security warning contact me, don't stress. Then again, don't screw up.

Non root users wanting to return to 1.12.605.6 (Stock, pre OTA) can continue below:

NOT FOR ROOT USERS

Taken from AndroidPolice: [Tutorial] How To "Un-Root" The HTC ThunderBolt And Return It To Stock. Please check the site out.

One of the most popular questions about rooting the ThunderBolt is how to undo the process and return to stock, which renews your eligibility for customer support. Well, here you go:

Instructions:
    Please read the whole tutorial first, and pay attention to every detail. Note that your battery needs to be charged to at least 40% at the beginning of the process, and remember to check the MD5 sums of all downloaded files before diving in. As always, neither Android Police nor Team AndIRC are responsible for any damage this may cause to your phone, and, needless to say, returning to stock means you will no longer be able to use root apps like ShootMe and Titanium Backup.

First, download the following files:

Stock firmware (MD5 sum: 7141f5620f6128af77d50587e341f4b0)
    exploits.zip (MD5 sum: 3b359efd76aac456ba7fb0d6972de3af)

Next, push exploits.zip and misc.img.

Code:
        adb push misc.img /data/local/
        adb push busybox /data/local/
        adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox

To gain root and flash misc.img:

Code:
        adb shell
        su
        /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/misc.img

If the output is anything other than "c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de," stop and start over again.

Now let’s write misc.img:

Code:
    dd if=/data/local/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17

Rename "PG05IMG_Mecha_VERIZON_WWE_1.12.605.6_Radio_1.16.00.0223r_NV_8k_1.41_9k_1.64_
    release_174685_signed.zip" to "PG05IMG.zip" before placing it on your SD card.
    Finally, reboot into bootloader mode by entering the following command. Allow the stock firmware to flash.

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

You’re done – your phone should now be stock, S-ON.
    understand that the first post files will take you to mr1(1.13.605.7) wish is not the current firmware.

using the files here will create an extra step:

1)flash noboot RUU
    2)flash hboot
    3)OTA to mr2

if you go to the android forums link,there are are mr2 files that you flash in the same manner: ruu first,hboot second. using those files,youll be done and not have to OTA.

to everyone that is confused,please pay attention:
    these files are a FULL RUU. they will replace everything that you have with the pieces from that firmware. everything will be replaced- your rom,radios,recovery,and hboot.

*it does not matter what rom/radio/etc/ that you are running. all of it will be replaced after flashing these files.

make sure you follow directions. flashing the hboot first WILL cause a security warning that will be fixable,but complicate your back to stock adventure.

once again,the files here take you back to the mr1 firmware.this method has not ever been undated to the mr2 update. using the files from the first post will create an extra step in the process(OTA-see above)

last and not least,if you have installed shadowmites permanent hboot,or rooted via revolutionary,you have an extra step-you must first replace the permanent hboot with the old,overwriteable eng 1.04.2000 hboot.

for those that cant go back to the previous page,the directions for returning to stock from permanent hboot are here on android forums

those who have rooted the old skool manual way can use these directions as well,just skip the first part about replacing the revolutionary/shadowmite hboot.
    well the good news is it works..the bad news is i didn't realize it was back to factory stock (like out of the box) which is very useful.. my bad.. so how do i install the bootloader file?

if you are S-off, you can just flash the MR1 upgrade from the root guide, otherwise you have to do a complete re-root.
    Can some one offer me some clarification here...

I understand that you shouldnt take an OTA if rooted, and some say if you have CWM installed...

But my issue is Im not entirely sure of the state of my phone..

I had battery reading issues, so I rooted, installed CWM to be able to wipe the bat stats and load a ROM to see if the issue got fixed, but it didnt... so I decided to go back to stock...

following the directions on this thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1009423

I loaded this file
    "MR1 RUU
    PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip - c64b4367086fff4f51ec3d5d766a0456"

It loaded fine and my phone "looks" stock, but still shows S-off
    in the apps list, there is no SU or CWM, so I dont think they are installed any more.

I tried to then load this file which I believe removes S-off
    "PG05IMG_hboot_1.4.0000.zip"
    I renamed it and booted to hboot, pressed vol up to accept, and after a sec it says "bypassed" and I am still s-off...

Since the first file I loaded was an older version of the software (build 1.13 instead of the current 1.70), it now says I have and OTA

should I be OK installing it since im not rooted and dont have CWM installed?

thanx for your help
    Danny
    Yes you are fine to install the ota with the stock recovery. S-off status has no affect on it whatsoever :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App
    I'm trying to help a buddy un-root over gchat. He doesn't have adb up and running on his local computer and isn't all that computer proficient.

So...for step one, he should download the first file, rename it and enter hboot by using the "volume down + power key" correct? then flash that one.

step two, do the same thing, right? after deleting the first PG05IMG of course! a computer with adb isn't TOTALLY necessary is it?

If he's rooted, that is correct. Just downloading the 2 files, renaming properly and it should be back to stock/unrooted.