[How to] The dummies guide to unlocking the bootloader and rooting the R800x

Search This thread

typikal82

Oct 22, 2010
Hope I'm not stepping on any toes, but here goes.

Are you these guys?

zoolander_imac_1.jpg

but you want to be these guys?

Screen-Shot-2011-08-04-at-12.01.21-PM-210x131.jpg

Okay, so you've read Mills' instructions and sort of understand them.
1. Download the CWM recovery from multiupload
2. Boot off of that file (DO NOT FLASH): fastboot boot recoveryPLAY.img
3. Copy this to your memory card and flash it with the booted recovery
4. Reboot and test root

Right? Okay, let me translate all that for you.

First things first, you need to unlock your bootloader. To do so

1. Obtain a bootloader unlock code. Right now the only way to get one is through ashergray or myself. This will change soon but for now its limited in release.
  2. Once you have your code, follow the unlock instructions on either Sony's website directly or by following the instructions here. Please note that you already have your code at this point so if you follow the instructions please disregard anything telling you to obtain a code. These are for GSM models.
So kindly ask one of them for your unlock code, and my best suggestion would be to get everything ready so you can unlock the bootloader and flash the booted recovery all in one go.
Okay, we got everything. Follow these instructions http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-xperia-arc-play-neo-pro/ starting at step 6 but please read my notes below also
  • at step 7, you will hold down the SEARCH button and plug the USB cable into your phone.
  • When you go to look for the Driver in Step 10 of the guide look for the one on the list that says "Android Bootloader Interface 2.0.10.2 Google, Inc. c:\?????\oem28.inf", that's the one I used.
  • Once the drivers installed you can locate fastboot and run it, but do this in the command prompt. So you know, go to Start > Run..> type in "cmd" and your command prompt comes up. Type in "cd\" to get to your root directory, then type in "cd c:\documents and settings\.....whateverfolder you have fastboot.exe sitting in"
  • So Step 13 of the guide, you're in the ...\fastboot\ folder, you can now type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version and that will tell you if you're connected. If you get a <waiting for device> you probably loaded the wrong driver. </life>
  • If not, then you got the 0.3, so continue with unlocking your bootloader in step 15. Put in your command and the key you got from some really helpful people.

Okay, so you just unlocked the bootloader, awesome. Don't close any windows. Now remember that "recoveryPLAY.img" we set aside? Go get it and move it into the same folder that you have fastboot.exe in.

# Boot off of that file (DO NOT FLASH): fastboot boot recoveryPLAY.img
Okay, with your command prompt still open and your recoveryPLAY.img in the same folder as fastboot.exe, type in "fastboot.exe boot recoveryplay.img"

Copy this to your memory card and flash it with the booted recovery
In about 10 seconds the screen on your phone will change, you will now see the recovery screen on your PLAY. The volume buttons are UP and DOWN, the power button is ENTER or SELECT. So navigate through the menus to install .zip from SD card, and look for the RootXperia.zip (we put it on your SD card earlier remember?). So you found it, Select it, it will run, the phone will tell you life is great, so scroll up to the top and back out until you see the option to reboot your phone.

Reboot and test root

Select Reboot and once you come up, go to the Android market and download something that requires Root, such as Titanium Backup or ROM Manager.

Finally, thank everyone involved for making this happen. Here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1098131

I did this on Windows XP, so I'm not sure if everything is exactly the same for any other Windows OS. Mods, feel free to move, delete or what you please with this thread.

Last edited:

KGB920

Aug 23, 2011
“S1Boot Fastboot” under the head “Other devices” i dont have that in my device manager

i cant seem to find "Android Bootloader Interface 2.0.10.2 Google, Inc. c:\?????\oem28.inf"
either...

my device manager says:
Android ADB interface under Android Phone
and
PCI input Device under "Other Devices"

Last edited:

soatari

Sep 18, 2008
Thank you very very much for this simple and easy to follow guide. I have a very basic knowledge of all of this and many of the guides posted required I fill in gaps I didn't know how to fill.

Thank you!

KGB920

Aug 23, 2011
Android ADB interface under properties says 2.0.10.2 Google
but i tried to update it with the folder and it said it was up to date....

Cat_On_Droid

Aug 13, 2011
In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
If a value is returned, it means the phone is correctly connected

Sent from my Xperia PLAY R800i using XDA App

KGB920

Aug 23, 2011
dont know wtf i was doing but it finally connected to the phone, bootloader unlocked! just installed rootxperia.zip file bout to see what happens next.

KGB920

Aug 23, 2011
hmm
i hit the power button (select) to reboot system but nothing happens. just momentarily turns screen off and on. i cant select anything now... stuck in clockworkmod recovery app

should i just unplug battery and replug?

Last edited:
Reactions: COREopa

crono141

Jan 4, 2011
West Columbia, SC
FYI, the original method for obtaining unlock codes from Ashergray or Mills has been blocked by Sony. Now, the only way to unlock has to be done through Allejandrissimo, and costs money.

A free solution is being worked on, but we are nearly back to square one as far as unlocking goes.

Dyelon

Jul 27, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
FYI, the original method for obtaining unlock codes from Ashergray or Mills has been blocked by Sony. Now, the only way to unlock has to be done through Allejandrissimo, and costs money.

A free solution is being worked on, but we are nearly back to square one as far as unlocking goes.

how much money?

because I'm getting so tired of running out of space every time I download an app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hope I'm not stepping on any toes, but here goes.

Are you these guys?

zoolander_imac_1.jpg

but you want to be these guys?

Screen-Shot-2011-08-04-at-12.01.21-PM-210x131.jpg

Okay, so you've read Mills' instructions and sort of understand them.
    1. Download the CWM recovery from multiupload
    2. Boot off of that file (DO NOT FLASH): fastboot boot recoveryPLAY.img
    3. Copy this to your memory card and flash it with the booted recovery
    4. Reboot and test root

Right? Okay, let me translate all that for you.

First things first, you need to unlock your bootloader. To do so

1. Obtain a bootloader unlock code. Right now the only way to get one is through ashergray or myself. This will change soon but for now its limited in release.
    2. Once you have your code, follow the unlock instructions on either Sony's website directly or by following the instructions here. Please note that you already have your code at this point so if you follow the instructions please disregard anything telling you to obtain a code. These are for GSM models.
    So kindly ask one of them for your unlock code, and my best suggestion would be to get everything ready so you can unlock the bootloader and flash the booted recovery all in one go.
    Okay, we got everything. Follow these instructions http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-xperia-arc-play-neo-pro/ starting at step 6 but please read my notes below also
    • at step 7, you will hold down the SEARCH button and plug the USB cable into your phone.
    • When you go to look for the Driver in Step 10 of the guide look for the one on the list that says "Android Bootloader Interface 2.0.10.2 Google, Inc. c:\?????\oem28.inf", that's the one I used.
    • Once the drivers installed you can locate fastboot and run it, but do this in the command prompt. So you know, go to Start > Run..> type in "cmd" and your command prompt comes up. Type in "cd\" to get to your root directory, then type in "cd c:\documents and settings\.....whateverfolder you have fastboot.exe sitting in"
    • So Step 13 of the guide, you're in the ...\fastboot\ folder, you can now type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version and that will tell you if you're connected. If you get a <waiting for device> you probably loaded the wrong driver. </life>
    • If not, then you got the 0.3, so continue with unlocking your bootloader in step 15. Put in your command and the key you got from some really helpful people.

Okay, so you just unlocked the bootloader, awesome. Don't close any windows. Now remember that "recoveryPLAY.img" we set aside? Go get it and move it into the same folder that you have fastboot.exe in.

# Boot off of that file (DO NOT FLASH): fastboot boot recoveryPLAY.img
    Okay, with your command prompt still open and your recoveryPLAY.img in the same folder as fastboot.exe, type in "fastboot.exe boot recoveryplay.img"

Copy this to your memory card and flash it with the booted recovery
    In about 10 seconds the screen on your phone will change, you will now see the recovery screen on your PLAY. The volume buttons are UP and DOWN, the power button is ENTER or SELECT. So navigate through the menus to install .zip from SD card, and look for the RootXperia.zip (we put it on your SD card earlier remember?). So you found it, Select it, it will run, the phone will tell you life is great, so scroll up to the top and back out until you see the option to reboot your phone.

Reboot and test root

Select Reboot and once you come up, go to the Android market and download something that requires Root, such as Titanium Backup or ROM Manager.

Finally, thank everyone involved for making this happen. Here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1098131

I did this on Windows XP, so I'm not sure if everything is exactly the same for any other Windows OS. Mods, feel free to move, delete or what you please with this thread.
    hmm
    i hit the power button (select) to reboot system but nothing happens. just momentarily turns screen off and on. i cant select anything now... stuck in clockworkmod recovery app

should i just unplug battery and replug?