Auto-connect Data on sending/receiving MMS

Search This thread

celeronix

Aug 13, 2009
Varna
Hi everyone :)
For a long period of time I've been using SlimBean with my old Galaxy S, where it wasn't needed to activate data connection by myself to send or receive MMS. That process was done automatically.
Yesterday I bought S3 and I found out that Samsung and/or Google do not implement this feature in their latest firmwares, which is strange.
I've done a small research in Google and found a post by the member Ouzo here in our forum, who has a resolution for this problem.
Here it is:
For me, the fix was to add this line to my 'others.xml' which is located in the System/CSC folder.

<CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>true</CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>

You need to add the above string before the end of the xml file - the last two lines of it should be:-

</FeatureSet>
</SamsungMobileFeature>

Some people don't have an 'others.xml', they have 'Features.xml' or 'Features_Default.xml' instead.

After editing the xml file, you need to change the permissions back to rw--r--r--
After setting the permissions, reboot.
To make these changes I use ES File Explorer and its built in text editor (it's free).
Needless to say I hope, your phone must be rooted to edit the above file. Make a backup of the file before editing it.

Thanks, Ouzo :)
I hope that many of you will find this information useful.

Last edited:

Drug_Store

Aug 18, 2006
www.drugstore.gsmhosting.net
This actually happend to me...

Came from a long line of HTC models, always had this feature, auto connect to receive MMS.
I was missing this on S3, but now I think we can overcome.

Nice tip, and very nice research. I missed it, but never bothered looking for it.

Thank you

onesolo

Apr 18, 2006
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
For me, the fix was to add this line to my 'others.xml' which is located in the System/CSC folder.

You need to add the above string before the end of the xml file - the last two lines of it should be:-

</FeatureSet>
</SamsungMobileFeature>
Hmm, I opened others.xml but I don't see those two last lines of the document...
My last line is:
</CustomerData>

Should I put like this:
</FeatureSet>
</SamsungMobileFeature>
</CustomerData>
as my last lines ?!?!

im confused what this does? I have no issues sending or reciving mms. Data connects fine each time. Is it the same as ticking "auto retrieve mms" in the messaging settings?
You don't have this issue cause probably you have data ON all the time... so you can send/receive MMS ...
This is for the ones that have DATA OFF, but still want to send/received MMSs!!!

This actually happend to me...

Came from a long line of HTC models, always had this feature, auto connect to receive MMS.
I was missing this on S3, but now I think we can overcome.

Nice tip, and very nice research. I missed it, but never bothered looking for it.

Thank you
x2!!!
I always had HTC phones before, with winmobile and android, and never had any problems sending/receiving MMSs with data off, but when I put a CM rom on my old Desire HD and got the S3, I then understand that in order to receive/send a MMS I had to turn data on... even the majority of other phones dont do this...

sxi200

Oct 18, 2010
Melbourne
Nice find.

Although I have the others.xml file I actually put it in features.xml. Switched off data to test and it works perfectly. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

mitky82

Account currently disabled
Feb 2, 2011
For some roms dont work.
You need to add other line except this one from thread in others.xml

<CscFeature_Message_EnableMmsMobiledataOff>true</CscFeature_Message_EnableMmsMobiledataOff>

В Българския форум съм пуснал тема :) със CSC възможности.

Last edited:
Reactions: pfbatista

onesolo

Apr 18, 2006
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
Hell yeah!!!
At Last!!! Finally I'm able to send/receive MMSs with data off!!!

I just found out that the CscFeatures_Message... were all in the feature.xml and not in the others.xml

The line that works for me is this <CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>true</CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS> and not the other. I also tested with the other line and didn't work...

Also, very important to set permissions back to the file and reboot.

Last edited:

azrieqb

Feb 20, 2012
Don't know if it just me, but my s3 have retrieved mms without the data on. My wife s3 don't have data plan but still receive mms without the data on.

I'm still on 4.1.1 because my region which is Malaysia still waiting for the 4.1.2. Is it the issue of this mms only happen on 4.1.2.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

mitky82

Account currently disabled
Feb 2, 2011
Hell yeah!!!

I just found out that the CscFeatures_Message... were all in the feature.xml and not in the others.xml

The line that works for me is this <CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>true</CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS> and not the other. I also tested with the other line and didn't work...

Yes, if rom have two files feature.xml and others.xml they read at first feature file. And eliminate other.
I dont mean one of these two line. I mean all two for some roms.

Here is my file others.xml

Call button to recent list in dialer
Sms to mms after 10 sms
Exit button to browser
Mms with data off
Color Saturday and Sunday in calendar widget
Camera shuter on/off
Enable/disable sms viewer in notification panel. I mean not see who write, only 1 message received, option on/off in sms settings
Show download progres in notification bar

If you have file feature.xml import line to that file.
Link:

http://db.tt/8GWniasr

Last edited:

lockmunk

Jul 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
OnePlus 9
Yes, if rom have two files feature.xml and others.xml they read at first feature file. And eliminate other.

Sms to mms after 10 sms
Exit button to browser
Mms with data off
Camera shuter on/off
Enable/disable sms viewer in notification panel. I mean not see who write, only 1 message received, option on/off in sms settings

Link:

http://db.tt/8GWniasr

Hye..I already use your file..but im little bit confuse about the permission..based on picture, am I right??
uploadfromtaptalk1358603389411.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

DVDeus

Dec 9, 2011
Hi,

thanks for the tip. What should I do, if I cannot find those files and folders (CSC, others.xml or features.xml)?

Thanks

onesolo

Apr 18, 2006
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
Hi,

thanks for the tip. What should I do, if I cannot find those files and folders (CSC, others.xml or features.xml)?

Thanks
well system/csc it's there. But the xml may not be inside that folder... it depends...
For example I installed yesterday the new rom EMR2 from Germany Vodafone, and it didn't had feature.xml inside csc folder.
So I decide to restore my features.xml to csc folder and it work like a charm...

If you don't have a feature.xml, you can copy this file, http://db.tt/8GWniasr , that somenelse posted already here, and rename it to feature.xml and copy inside csc folder

krasouc

Jun 11, 2013
Hello,

i see u all have i9300 devices, but ill ask here anyway if someone can help me :)

I recently updated my SGAII i8160 to official UK 4.1.2 rom and it really bothers me when i have manualy turn on mobile data for reciving MMSes..
in the file others.xml i dnt have any lines starting with <csc.... but i also dnt have the feature.xml file that obviously you have..

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesolo
Hell yeah!!!

Sms to mms after 10 sms
Exit button to browser
Mms with data off
Camera shuter on/off

Link: //i cant post links cuz am a new user :/

Do u think if I just add this feature.xml file it should work? (i ask first becouse i dnt know if this could mess with my phone or not, am a noob xD )
Thank you!

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Actually, all you need are 2x APNs.

1 APN for MMS (where you change the type to MMS) and 1 for internet (Where type is default, supl)

The default apn will not connect when you are on WiFi. Often teh MMS settings are built into the default APN so it wont connect to receive MMS either.

All you need to do is write down the following values from your default apn

Username
Password
MMSC
MMS Proxy
MMS Port
MCC

On your existing APN, remove "mms" from type.

Create a new MMS called "MMS" or whatever....

Enter the details above and set type to mms

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone :)
    For a long period of time I've been using SlimBean with my old Galaxy S, where it wasn't needed to activate data connection by myself to send or receive MMS. That process was done automatically.
    Yesterday I bought S3 and I found out that Samsung and/or Google do not implement this feature in their latest firmwares, which is strange.
    I've done a small research in Google and found a post by the member Ouzo here in our forum, who has a resolution for this problem.
    Here it is:

</FeatureSet>
    </SamsungMobileFeature>

Some people don't have an 'others.xml', they have 'Features.xml' or 'Features_Default.xml' instead.

After editing the xml file, you need to change the permissions back to rw--r--r--
    After setting the permissions, reboot.
    To make these changes I use ES File Explorer and its built in text editor (it's free).
    Needless to say I hope, your phone must be rooted to edit the above file. Make a backup of the file before editing it.

Thanks, Ouzo :)
    I hope that many of you will find this information useful.
    For some roms dont work.
    You need to add other line except this one from thread in others.xml

<CscFeature_Message_EnableMmsMobiledataOff>true</CscFeature_Message_EnableMmsMobiledataOff>

В Българския форум съм пуснал тема :) със CSC възможности.
    I do have 2 apn's: 1 is for internet and 1 mms'es..still no go :3 maybe i've done smth wrong.. o_O

Sent from my GT-I8160

Basically copy your existing APN into a new APN. Then, set the "APN Type" of the new APN to be "mms".

Video MMS with data disabled

(Skip from 2:15 to 3:00 if you get bored.)