[GUIDE] [Flashing ROMs] Step-by-step

Search This thread

salahzantout

Jun 10, 2011
wut do u mean by

-Then check the 'one package' from the top left

and is this for custom and stock roms ?

thank u

and btw, my phone is not rooted yet or have cwm...
if it should be rooted or have cwm.. please link me to a good direct tutorial..

thanks again

Last edited:

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
wut do u mean by

and is this for custom and stock roms ?

thank u

and btw, my phone is not rooted yet or have cwm...
if it should be rooted or have cwm.. please link me to a good direct tutorial..

thanks again

Read, read, read and you will learn (better than to ask questions).

1. Using 'one package' depends on the ROM you want to install. Most have just one md5 file, which is when you use 'one package'. Some have several files (Boot Loader, CSC, MODEM and PDA files for instance in ROM XXKP4) which is when you do not use 'one package' :)

2. For new ROM updates from Samsung (sampro.pl or in this forum) you do not need CWM. Femod based CWM is only when you want to root your device or install other mods (like new battery, adrenaline shot or Cranium ROM)

3. Root tutorial is a sticky in this forum

4. Femod based CWM is here

Good luck, judging from your questions I would advice not yet to install any of these mods or ROMs...

Regards,

Nika.

Reactions: salahzantout

salahzantout

Jun 10, 2011
nikagl thank u
i actually know most of this, ive had htc desire for a year,,,
anyway the thing is that i had my samsung from canada and it didnt have "root" here unless i flash another stock rom...

so anyway i did flash another custom rom, arabic version android 2.3.3 GT i9000, baseband i9000jxjv6

i saw the stickhy thread for rooting
Put Root-i9001-Signed.zip into internal sdcard
Reboot into Recovery mode

i dont have cwm to get into recovery mod, this is where i need the help...

any help on this would be great...

ie : i tried the CF - root but couldnt find the busy box file in the attachements since it says busybox 1.16.2 file needed on ODA !

mikeeo019

Oct 26, 2011
Vantaa
nikagl thank u
anyway the thing is that i had my samsung from canada and it didnt have "root" here unless i flash another stock rom...

so anyway i did flash another custom rom, arabic version android 2.3.3 GT i9000, baseband i9000jxjv6

ie : i tried the CF - root but couldnt find the busy box file in the attachements since it says busybox 1.16.2 file needed on ODA !

you can access the built-in recovery easily. Power off your phone. Hold volume up+power together. When the samsung logo appears hold them still for two more seconds. Release the buttons, when the "android out of the box" screen appears press MENU.Wait a little and thats it. Also read the FeaMod thread ;)

Blumdum

Sep 6, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
nikagl thank u

wait wait wait...
you are in the wrong section!!
do not flash anything from here otherwise your device will end up bricked!!!!
this is the i9001 section

zimme95

Oct 30, 2011
Thanks alot man will try it now :)

also can I use Odin 1.85 for my mac or do I need 4.43 on my PC?

Last edited:

zimme95

Oct 30, 2011

It did not work since the OSX Odin doesn't have the One package button. But i booted my Virtrual PC and flashed the 2.3.6 XXKPG. Do I need to hard reset my phone because I read it somewhere that you didn't havee to when you flashed stock ROMs? Also some applications crashes all the time(Youtube, Alarm Clock and News and Weather).

mikeeo019

Oct 26, 2011
Vantaa
It did not work since the OSX Odin doesn't have the One package button. But i booted my Virtrual PC and flashed the 2.3.6 XXKPG. Do I need to hard reset my phone because I read it somewhere that you didn't havee to when you flashed stock ROMs? Also some applications crashes all the time(Youtube, Alarm Clock and News and Weather).

Performing a factory reset should provide more stability

Reactions: zimme95

zimme95

Oct 30, 2011
Thanks, though I did forget to backup my pictures since I thought they would be stored on the external SD :( and the apps that I had installed on SD doesn't work anymore even if I can see them installed on my phone. Well well, you learn from your mistakes.

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
Thanks, though I did forget to backup my pictures since I thought they would be stored on the external SD :( and the apps that I had installed on SD doesn't work anymore even if I can see them installed on my phone. Well well, you learn from your mistakes.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think fact rst also formats your internal SD? Pics should still be there... Apps always need to be reinstalled (incl most settings)...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using XDA App

Last edited:

zimme95

Oct 30, 2011
I may be mistaken, but I don't think fact rst also formats your internal SD? Pics should still be there... Apps always need to be reinstalled (incl most settings)...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using XDA App
The internal SD was also reset(ed?) :( but as I said you learn from your mistakes.

Also, is Ice Cream Sandwich coming to this phone? And when?

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
i dont know why odin just reset my phone while flashing rom..???

Reset as in restart or reset as in factory defaults?

Restarting device always happens... Factory defaults / hard reset you should do anyway (see post 1 in the Stock ROM List - - Make always a hard reset after flashing by code: *2767*3855#) and some ROMs also automatically perform/cause hard reset.

Reactions: rideriang

rideriang

Feb 12, 2011
Reset as in restart or reset as in factory defaults?

Restarting device always happens... Factory defaults / hard reset you should do anyway (see post 1 in the Stock ROM List - - Make always a hard reset after flashing by code: *2767*3855#) and some ROMs also automatically perform/cause hard reset.
its reset to restart..anyway its flashing now..thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello! I started this thread as it seems it's too hard for lot of people to search for guides about flashing. This is a way to get rid of useless posts like: "What is flashing?" "How to flash?" "Can I haz a cheezeburger?" Be grateful :D

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible of any issues you might have by using my guide. Flashing always includes a risk of bricking your device. Dont come to cry. You've been warned!

The list of ROMs can be found HERE

-Download ODIN Multidownloader 4.43. Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W6CMP1LA
    -After it has downloaded, extract it anywhere u want (i suggest desktop, easier)
    -RUN ODIN.
    -Power off your phone.
    -Put your phone into downloading mode. Hold together: Power+Volume Down+Home (phone boots to Downloading mode)
    -Connect your phone to PC via USB cable.
    -Wait for the drivers to install. After that, in ODIN, one of the top line "bars" should turn yellow and some text should appear there.
    -Download the AriesVE.ops file and check it as OPS. Link to download (attached, scroll down the first post, credits goes to manveru0): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1331164
    -Then check the 'one package' from the top left
    -The ROM you've downloaded, check it as one package. If it's MD5 file. Then click flash.
    -Flashing will take about 9 minutes.
    -When you see "Close serial port and wait until rebooting" in odin, you can unplug your phone.
    -Enjoy!

-If the flashing doesn't complete. Or you face some other problems, just try another USB port, or computer if possible

NOTE: If the ROM includes several files you should check them all. For example XXKP4 2.3.4 Rooted, screen shot:
    odine.jpg
    Thanks. Can i flash custom roms too without being rooted?

Again, depends on the ROM and type of package (Odin or not). Haven't tried it with a stock ROM and an Odin package (I guess that should work).

But don't worry too much about being rooted or not. Rooting is a very simple process and can easily be reverted. Start flashing one of the many stock roms and see how that goes.

Next try rooting your device and install Feamod Recovery (see other thread).

When your device still feels ok, and you have tried to make your first backup in Feamod (and could successfully restore it - don't worry, all these things do not hurt your phone and can be reverted), then start looking into Custom Roms...

In all cases my advice is always:

* Take more than enough time when you start (at least 4 hours even though the actual process takes only 10 minutes you may end up in debugging why something does not work
    * Preferably take a backup of everything you have - best is backup through Feamod Recovery (and make sure to test restoring the backup at least once)

Regards,

Nika.
    Hi Taiji,

Wow, solved it in only one hour time! Impressive, because trust me - I've worked with some people for hours to get their phone onto Cranium RC7 :)

I guess rooting might be one of the reasons for that specific ROM not to work. The Odin packages have been tested, but it looks like just by me (and for me it worked fine when I followed the procedure mentioned in several posts of the Cranium thread).

Nevertheless, thanks for posting this - it is definitely useful for several newbies, also to understand the consequences of installing new (custom) ROMs. For stock ROMs (XXKPS, etc.) it's working a lot easier, just follow the steps in the OP of this thread and you'll be allright - they are from Samsung and installing them through Kies always works (as far as I have seen)...

Regards,

Nika.
    Thanks for guide...finally someone made it.
    May i add... if flashing gets stuck somewhere... try another usb-cable and/or usb-port. If possible another computer.