[Emulator][Unnoficial] Leapcast the Chromecast Emulator All-In-One File

Search This thread

thatscottguy93

Jun 8, 2014
After several hours of tinkering and editing, I think I've finally managed to make an easy way to emulate a Chromecast on your PC. Iv'e only worked on x64 based systems so far, but I'll do x32 if anyone needs it. All you have to do is download the file, place it on your desktop (or it won't work), extract the .tar (don't make a new folder) and follow the directions in INSTALL.txt. It shouldn't require any extra files except Google Chrome, but if it does or you have any other errors or advice, feedback is very appreciated.​

I take no responsibility for any damages done by this. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Leapcast is the property of dz0ny at GitHub, not me. All I did was make an all-in-one install script.​

Attachments

• LeapcastForWindows.tar
    18.2 MB · Views: 7,814
Last edited:

lordkain2

Jun 8, 2014
Error running LeapCast.bat

I completed the installation but when I run LeapCast.bat got this error (see the image)

Edit: I found the problem, I need to Edit "PATH" environment variable to include this "C:\Python27" and this "C:\Python27\Scripts".

Good job!!!!

Only youtube detected the leapcast, I check Plex, Avia, Crackle and Allcast and they don't.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 3,613
Last edited:

thatscottguy93

Jun 8, 2014
I completed the installation but when I run LeapCast.bat got this error (see the image)

Edit: I found the problem, I need to Edit "PATH" environment variable to include this "C:\Python27" and this "C:\Python27\Scripts".

Good job!!!!

Only youtube detected the leapcast, I check Plex, Avia, Crackle and Allcast and they don't.

It's probably an error in my install script. It should have edited your PATH automatically, so I'll look into it. The compatibility problem is probably just an issue with the emulator itself. I'll keep an eye on the github page and update this as soon as its available. Thanks for the feedback!

Did you use the Chromecast app on your phone/tablet to detect it before you tried the other apps?

Last edited:

thatscottguy93

Jun 8, 2014
I already have Python installed....Can I just run the Bat file?

That's part of what the script does. If you want, you can ignore the basic Python install if you specifically have Python 2.7.5 installed, but you definitely need to let setuptools and pip install. Won't work without them I'm afraid. Thanks for the feedback!

rpmccormick

Dec 1, 2008
OnePlus 7 Pro
Thanks for the effort!

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. The .bat file it leaves on the desktop has a strange trailing ascii-character, but it still doesn't run correctly even after you remove it. I don't know why you would run it from desktop anyway rather than c:\python27\scripts anyway... It should run from anywhere if the PATH is set correctly, but this script didn't seem to do that. Finally, it would be smarter to use the .vbs provided by the leapcast dev instead of your errant .bat on the desktop. Again though, thanks for the attempt.

It would be great if someone could put together a full install using install-shield and all, or at least a working batch script that has been tested on a fresh install of WinXP/Win7/Win8.1 Maybe I will try to.

NOTE: If this works for others, please let us know, but I am fairly certain it has at least a few minor errors preventing it from working by following the instructions alone.

snbk97

May 19, 2010
Noida
It's probably an error in my install script. It should have edited your PATH automatically, so I'll look into it. The compatibility problem is probably just an issue with the emulator itself. I'll keep an eye on the github page and update this as soon as its available. Thanks for the feedback!

Did you use the Chromecast app on your phone/tablet to detect it before you tried the other apps?

i have tried editing my system variables, but after running Leapcast.bat it say:
'leapcast' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.
Please guide me through. AND github is down in my country right now :(

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Okay I got this post on google+ it help me do a complete install of LEAPCAST... :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I just wanted to ask if there will be any update for V2 chromecast ? @thatscottguy93

Last edited:

punkmexic

Nov 27, 2012
link is not working

can you post a mirror link please?

After several hours of tinkering and editing, I think I've finally managed to make an easy way to emulate a Chromecast on your PC. Iv'e only worked on x64 based systems so far, but I'll do x32 if anyone needs it. All you have to do is download the file, place it on your desktop (or it won't work), extract the .tar (don't make a new folder) and follow the directions in INSTALL.txt. It shouldn't require any extra files except Google Chrome, but if it does or you have any other errors or advice, feedback is very appreciated.​

I take no responsibility for any damages done by this. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Leapcast is the property of dz0ny at GitHub, not me. All I did was make an all-in-one install script.​

mikeymackinon

Oct 8, 2015
Can i run xbmc/kodi on my windows pc and use leapcast to send the video feed to my android phone - this way I can use the laptop as a remote and the phone as existing hardware - lowering my android tv experience to a cost of zero - or should I stick with remote desktop... lag could be an issue as leapcast is light weight via python - minus the $5 mhl

markowen_369

Oct 13, 2014
Nope

Can i run xbmc/kodi on my windows pc and use leapcast to send the video feed to my android phone - this way I can use the laptop as a remote and the phone as existing hardware - lowering my android tv experience to a cost of zero - or should I stick with remote desktop... lag could be an issue as leapcast is light weight via python - minus the $5 mhl

Leapcast does not work that way, its mainly for youtube etc... web based viewings. Why not run the laptop/ desktop to the TV set and remote in from the Android phone/ tablet via a remote control app or team view etc... You would defiantly have lagging issues if reversed. Plus you do not have the buy the micro usb to hdmi adapter? Kewl story bro!

Seriously smart, as you will not have to get up to change from one episode to the next and at no cost.

Simon_29

May 22, 2015
Hamm

Thank you very much!!! Nice Work! I love you <3 #nohomo

-chrizz-

Nov 22, 2015
Hi,
i wanted to try this but iam stucking at this error

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\LeapcastForWindows\leapcast>leapcast --name Leapcast --chrome "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe" --fullscreen
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\scripts\leapcast-script.py", line 9, in <module>
load_entry_point('Leapcast==0.1.3', 'console_scripts', 'leapcast')()
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources.py", line 356, in load_entry_point
return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources.py", line 2431, in load_entry_point
return ep.load()
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources.py", line 2147, in load
['__name__'])
ImportError: No module named leapcast.__main__

Anyone know how to fix this?

d3xd3x

Sep 17, 2010
Managed to got it almost working :) IT's an old thread but I will give it a go.
Had to update Python to 2.7.9 for the SSL thing.

This is my issue :

Code:
C:\Users\d3x\Desktop\LeapcastForWindows\leapcast>leapcast --name Leapcast --chrome "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe" --fullscreen
INFO:root:Starting SSDP server
INFO:root:Starting LEAP server
INFO:root:Loading Config-JSON from Google-Server
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\leapcast-script.py", line 9, in <module>
  File "c:\leapcast\leapcast\__main__.py", line 38, in main
    leap_server.start()
  File "c:\leapcast\leapcast\services\leap.py", line 35, in start
    resp = requests.get(url=app_dict_url)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\requests-2.18.4-py2.7.egg\requests\api.py", line 72, in get
    return request('get', url, params=params, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\requests-2.18.4-py2.7.egg\requests\api.py", line 58, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\requests-2.18.4-py2.7.egg\requests\sessions.py", line 508, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\requests-2.18.4-py2.7.egg\requests\sessions.py", line 618, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\requests-2.18.4-py2.7.egg\requests\adapters.py", line 506, in send
    raise SSLError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.SSLError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='clients3.google.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /cast/chromecast/device/config (Caused by SSLError(SSLError(1, u'[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:581)'),))

Would that mean that google changed something and this no longer works?

msb arkon

Mar 4, 2014
Hi,
i wanted to try this but iam stucking at this error

C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\LeapcastForWindows\leapcast>leapcast --name Leapcast --chrome "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe" --fullscreen
File "C:\Python27\scripts\leapcast-script.py", line 9, in <module>
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources.py", line 356, in load_entry_point
return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources.py", line 2431, in load_entry_point
return ep.load()
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources.py", line 2147, in load
['__name__'])
ImportError: No module named leapcast.__main__

Anyone know how to fix this?

Did u solved this?? same problem here.. let me know if u solved this

privatedoodle

Apr 15, 2011
Richmond, VA
Google Pixel 7
Don't know about your specific error, but Google definitely changed something. Leapcast doesn't work anymore. According to dz0ny on github:

This project no longer works because Google locked down entire API. There are alternatives like cloning device, casting apk from nexus player etc. Thanks for all contibutors and I hope we all learned something from this project. Meanwhile I'am keeping https://github.com/dz0ny/leapcast/issues/130 open if anyone wants to discuss something related to lepacast or 2nd screen paradigm.

I would love to re-implement this as an open source alternative to chromecast someday, but I won't make any promises.

Does anyone know a proper way to uninstall this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.