[Q] Bought the SM-N900 for use in the US, did I mess up?

Search This thread

vicmora5

Dec 6, 2010
Basically Ive had the phone for over a month now and the connection issues have been constant. The carrier I use is Straight Talk. I got a new SIM card. Ive tried every APN setting it seems. And I cannot get any help. Did I plainly just mess up and by the wrong version of the phone I needed?

hhai2pth

Feb 20, 2014
HCMC
Basically Ive had the phone for over a month now and the connection issues have been constant. The carrier I use is Straight Talk. I got a new SIM card. Ive tried every APN setting it seems. And I cannot get any help. Did I plainly just mess up and by the wrong version of the phone I needed?

Yeah. Maybe it isnt support 4g

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

vicmora5

Dec 6, 2010
When It is on GSM only mode I only get EDGE speed, and when I switch to either WCDMA/GSM or WDCMA only mode, I do get H+ but its not reliable and I frequently end up in emergency calls only mode and am frequently resending messages. What model should I get for the best results with Straight Talk does anyone know?

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
When It is on GSM only mode I only get EDGE speed, and when I switch to either WCDMA/GSM or WDCMA only mode, I do get H+ but its not reliable and I frequently end up in emergency calls only mode and am frequently resending messages. What model should I get for the best results with Straight Talk does anyone know?

You need the N900A (AT&T) or the N900T (T-Mobile). GSM Mode means 2.5G (EDGE) only. WCDMA Mode means H+ (3G) only.

You can also try the N9005 if you're into tinkering and whatnot.

Your current phone most likely does not support the recommended 'fast' bands that are on US Carriers.

Reactions: vicmora5

vicmora5

Dec 6, 2010
You need the N900A (AT&T) or the N900T (T-Mobile). GSM Mode means 2.5G (EDGE) only. WCDMA Mode means H+ (3G) only.

Your current phone most likely does not support the recommended 'fast' bands that are on US Carriers.

Do you know which one would be the best one to get? I'm into rooting and flashing Roms, so based on that Im guessing the N9005, but arent there different carrier models of that phone as well /: basically I dont want to make the same mistake

Thanks for you help

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Do you know which one would be the best one to get? I'm into rooting and flashing Roms, so based on that Im guessing the N9005, but arent there different carrier models of that phone as well /: basically I dont want to make the same mistake

Thanks for you help

N9005 is most used internationally so more devs support this device. But the N900T also works too.

Not the N900A if you care about ROMs.

Reactions: vicmora5

vicmora5

Dec 6, 2010
N9005 is most used internationally so more devs support this device. But the N900T also works too.

Okay then I'll pass on the N900A. Are there specific carrier branded N9005s? or are they all the same and unlocked. Sorry for all the questions. Also I barely figured out how to "thank" you >.<-

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Okay then I'll pass on the N900A. Are there specific carrier branded N9005s? or are they all the same and unlocked. Sorry for all the questions. Also I barely figured out how to "thank" you >.<-

Yeah there are, and there are specific models of N9005 too with a different partition structure (Hong Kong 16GB)

You're going to have to find an N9005 not from Hong Kong just in case, even though they also sell the international 32gb version as well, and that is already unlocked SIM wise and region wise.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Also, if you come from the states, make sure the bands are supported by your phone. People have bought the n9005 from America to find the LTE bands don't work in Europe..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Should have gone for 9005.

Thanks for you help