[Q] Need wifi help AT&T S3

Search This thread

NwFl Griz

Mar 24, 2014
Ok, so I've had wifi issues for awhile with this thing, but apparently the 4.3 update sent it over the edge. (I just updated it last week, since I was out of the country when the update issued).

The issue is, I cannot connect to any wifi, other than my home. Before the update, I could connect to non-home wifi only through various router setting changes, that required admin access to the router. After the update, no matter what I've tried with regards to routers, my home router is the only one I can connect to, and the signal strength is pretty bad on my phone, while it shows very strongly for any other device.

I've tried all the suggestions in just about every thread I could find. I've done several factory resets, I've tried the *#0011# thing. I've tried using static IP addresses. But the phone will do one of two things. After I click connect, after selecting a network, it will say Saved. Or it will try to connect and then go back to Saved, or eventually give the Authentication error.

I'm not 100% familiar with how android is setup, but is there a specific file that I could try to install that might affect this? (Like a driver)

Would replacing the antenna be helpful, or maybe the chip on the mb? Or are those options too extreme?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Brian9391

Nov 13, 2012
Harrodsburg
Did you try re flashing the firmware? Might be a bug in the software. You'll lose all your data but its worth a shot. I've seen a similar issue like this before on the S III and that took care of the problem.

Brian9391

Nov 13, 2012
Harrodsburg
Do I use odin to reflash....it's basically like installing a rom, right?

Yes, you will use Odin to complete this process.

Few things you should consider though, by doing this it will completely reset your phone to a point as if you just un-boxed it (or a factory reset). I am uncertain about the fact that it may hinder you the ability to receive further OTA updates. Like i said I don't know exactly on that one but that will most likely be stated in a thread that you receive the firmware from. Also, this may be a good opportunity for you to root your phone if it was not previously. Doing this could be as simple as downloading one file vs. another to use in Odin. The choice is yours as there are threads regarding both Stock Rooted and Stock non rooted firmwares. Another thing, consider which version you want. Im guessing 4.3? I was once told going down a version on android (i.e. 4.4 to 4.2) could brick a device... also unclear on that. try doing some research if you wish.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
If you have the AT&T 4.3 bootloader on your phone, do not use Odin to try and flash any stock ROMs as this may brick your phone. The 4.3 bootloader cannot be downgraded and attempts to do so with probably brick your phone.

Boot into download mode and tell us what it says on the download screen.

NwFl Griz

Mar 24, 2014
If you have the AT&T 4.3 bootloader on your phone, do not use Odin to try and flash any stock ROMs as this may brick your phone. The 4.3 bootloader cannot be downgraded and attempts to do so with probably brick your phone.

I have rooted this device, so when i boot into download mode, I get the android guy with the words "downloading do not turn off target" underneath him. In the top right it says:

Odin mode
product name: SGH-i747
custom binary download: Yes (2 counts)
current binary: custom
system status: custom
qualcomm secureboot: enable
warranty bit: 1
bootloader rp swrev:2

NwFl Griz

Mar 24, 2014

I replied above...still waiting to ensure I don't brick this thing.