Which ICS ROM is better?

Search This thread

lowsum

Aug 25, 2011
Quebec City

deadlighthk

May 3, 2011
I've just installed below ROMs today and have comment with them:
Thor v96 - Standby time is very poor, can't last for one day... I don't know why, but very smooth for H.264 720p playback.
Taboonay 3.0.1 - Wifi didn't work, when click reflash in wifi setting... AP just show up for a second and then disappear... gave up afterwards...
FLEXREAPER R4 - I'm now play with it, so far so good. A bit laggy when playing some H.264 720p files, standby time seems normal and have no wifi problem.

Belda

Feb 28, 2012
Ostrava
I'm running on Lightspeed_4 (beta6) based on leak ICS, and I must say I never saw A500 smooth like this :)

maris__

Aug 26, 2011
Anyone else having issues with flash videos when played back in full screen? Get freezes when switching to full screen, but don't have any issues when playing with the original frame size. Observed this on several website with different web browsers using actual ICS Custom ROMs by Civato and Vache. Any ideas what could be the reason for this behavior?

Best regards, maris

ribbe82

Sep 4, 2008
+1 for Flexreaper R4, soon R5 with Acer ring.
Really easy installing via CWM, and big bugs are sorted out in hours.. sometimes I wonder how they manage it.

I installed the acer apps afterwards, works perfectly.

dmfr

Oct 3, 2010
Personally I am very happy with Lightspeed 4 (like I was with previous Lightspeeds based on HoneyComb).
Stripped to the minimum (no vendor apps, games, gadgets), very fast, bug free so far.

Anyway, the best ICS ROM depends on what you're expecting of a ROM :)

diiorio

Jan 25, 2011
Some may be offended becuase none of the current custom modified ICS roms are stable, sure they run. Stable, no. Built off the leak, yes, much more stable, but they are basically tweaking.

The most stable build will come after acers offcial release, or when the A200 release is modified, which isn't to hard (minus hardware feature differences, but combing some apk's can fix that).

It's after people take the officials, and debloat them, and tweak further that you get the best roms. If you use thors, then see the last shown offcial build (not the leak) you know how much they changed it on acers side). As well as performance differences, device support, and other featues.

In cases such as phones, and issues with those such as the droid charge, taking the official, moding them, proved worth while, but previous customs not buidl of offcial versions simply always come short. Be nice if Acer would release the source code like Samsung has.

The leak also has 3 known bugs that Acer addressed. Even after the A200 ICS OTA, there was already a upadate.

murben

Feb 8, 2012
I've been running Flexreaper since his first release and it's awesome. Seems to be smoother than Thor's. I've run into a few FC's on some apps but nothing major. I also just saw civato post that when he puts up R5 tonight or tomorrow, the Acer Ring will be working as well as Face Unlock!

All of the Dev's involved with this are cranking out some awesome work in a short time and deserve major kudos!

dman918

Jun 13, 2007
Crystal Lake
Geez, now I'm thinking I may need to give Flexreaper a try. What I like about Taboonay is that it is flashy. I like the extra widgets/wallpapers/etc. However, I'm finding I've had some wifi connection issues. Just ran the wifi patch on the page, so we'll see if that addresses the issue.

Those with Flexreaper, how does it compare to other ROMs? Is it known to be stripped like Lightspeed or more complete like Taboonay? I know I can add most all apps and such with the extra zips. Just wondering about any additional perks.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Just a comparison between all of the leaked rom's In the dev section.

They all are very smooth and without Force Close issues. IF you install them correctly and apply the updates from there Dev. They all have one thing in common .The browser's. I have tried two browsers Stock browser and Chrome. Both setting untouched.First in chrome. I get some artifacts on text while scrolling large documents .Its like text overlaying on top itself ,Then it will often go black.This happens only with two or more tabs open.With the stock browser i get screen tearing and it has a general shaky feel to it while scrolling and text is often trying to stay focused.
My opinion is that they are not Optimized for Hardware acceleration. I do not feel its the Android system lagging .The wifi for me works great on any of the rom,s i have tried.
The key again is READ THE OP THREAD Very carefully for each rom and follow the instructions exact. do not do any extra steps and do not miss any steps.

And remember these are from a LEAK. that is known to be a not complete Build. Thanks EVERYONE FOR The hard and AWESOME FAST WORK ON these Roms. Every day on XDA IS THANK A DEVELOPER/MODER DAY

murben

Feb 8, 2012
Geez, now I'm thinking I may need to give Flexreaper a try. What I like about Taboonay is that it is flashy. I like the extra widgets/wallpapers/etc. However, I'm finding I've had some wifi connection issues. Just ran the wifi patch on the page, so we'll see if that addresses the issue.

Those with Flexreaper, how does it compare to other ROMs? Is it known to be stripped like Lightspeed or more complete like Taboonay? I know I can add most all apps and such with the extra zips. Just wondering about any additional perks.

I haven't actually tried any of the other ROMS yet, been happy enough with Flexreaper that I haven't had a reason to try the others. The base package is mostly stripped, but there is an addon .zip that loads the acer apps and others.

1rkrage

Mar 2, 2012
is there an leaked ICS rom that allows for more than 1ghz clocks?

It was so easy to that on Thor's ICS, and so far with FlexReaper and Taboonay i'm only limited to 1 GHz.

I must say though, i find Taboonay to be smoother than Flex Reaper so far. Responsive commands so far.

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
is there an leaked ICS rom that allows for more than 1ghz clocks?

It was so easy to that on Thor's ICS, and so far with FlexReaper and Taboonay i'm only limited to 1 GHz.

I must say though, i find Taboonay to be smoother than Flex Reaper so far. Responsive commands so far.

That is kernel dependent. As long as you're on stock kernel you cannot do that.

Aug 11, 2010
New York City
Icylicious

Tried all different ICS A500 roms, came from Thor v96 which was really good to begin with. But all the new roms are just as good (now with camera!)

i personally prefer Icylicious but they are all equally great and some have more features than others. I prefer the stockish bare versions more, just personal preference. Flexreaper is amazing, lots of features and has the Acer Ring (and its updated regularly).

It's actually pretty amazing there's choice of ICS rom with camera working. All of them are good, basically.

ecossais

Jul 11, 2011
Allyn, WA
My 2cents. Flexreader from Civato, very smooth ROM with good battery life and nice crisp graphics. Also Civato is quick to respond to reasonable user requests for features. I ran R4 and am now on R5 and will flash R6 as soon as it is available.

blancocar

Dec 25, 2011
Over the last few days I have tried most of the ICS roms that have been posted. I installed and tried out Thor's v96, Protekk's AOKP, Lightspeed Beta 3, 4, 5, 6, Taboonay 3.01, Flexreaper-R5 and Icylicious.

All of them are very good and are a nice improvement over the HC 3.2 ROMs. I like and dislike different things about each of them. You really have to try each and see what you like. Personally, my favorite was Lightspeed, then Flexreaper and then Icylicious. Chances are that your favorites will be different.

Since I was bored and curious, I went back and read through enough forum articles to figure out how to resign apk's and repackage roms. Once I understood the process, I extracted the contents of the stock leak and my three favorites. I compared them against each other using Winmerge. Each author takes a slightly different approach. Based on the differences, I pulled what I liked best from each. I then added my favorite apps, wallpapers, icons, etc. I repackaged everything and put it back on my tablet. What I ended up with was mostly a combination of Flexreaper and Lightspeed. So far so good. I don't recommend you try this unless you have time to waste and aren't worried about ruining your tablet. :)

telemike

Oct 1, 2010
Minas Tirith
I went with Light speed since it is the leanest and runs smooth. Much better than any honeycomb rom. Don't really care about Acer ring and flashy apps.

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012
Thanks for all the info.

sent from my Shostock Sgh-I777 running siyah!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is the official leaked ICS ROM better then Thors current ICS ROM? Because I am running Thor's currently, and was wondering if its worth to update to the official leaked ICS ROM. I don't care much about features and stuff, all I need is something that functions good, and how its supposed to run.
    Is the official leaked ICS ROM better then Thors current ICS ROM? Because I am running Thor's currently, and was wondering if its worth to update to the official leaked ICS ROM. I don't care much about features and stuff, all I need is something that functions good, and how its supposed to run.

How do you measure better?

I am running flexrom and it is smooth. You can always just make a nandroid and see how the other builds run. I haven't run Thors rom, so I can't give you a comparison.

Sent from Big Bertha

----
    Advantages:

• Not violate GPL blatantly
    • Avoid burning in hell and bad karma for violating GPL

I'm really pleased with my A500 right now, so this is what I'm running.
    Is it necessary to be that aggressive to someone who is clearly an end-user? Why not state that "all of the roms released here benefited from an open collaborative environment from developers. This is why things like the GPL are important, because everyone can benefit by sharing knowledge that results in a quick resolution to issues that arise."

There is no need to attack people like a zealot
    Came from Thor's as well. I then went to Lightspeed, which ran well but is really stripped down. If you want a pretty bare-bones ROM, this is good for that. I am now on Taboonay, which has seemed every bit as fast and smooth, yet also includes wallpapers, extra widgets, etc. I haven't tried Flexreaper so I can't speak of that one. Both I have tried were smoother than Thor's IMO.
    Try them and USE YOUR Own Judgement.is best .

THere is only one real piece of advice that can be giving to Op..
    You do know how to flash a rom. You do know how to read a thread.. My best Sis to read the User post in each rom Thread. (Something i have done). Then make a Decision based on your Opinion of what you have read. And flash the rom that best suits you. If you do not like that flash another. Just remeber to do a nand backup between each and you can try them all .Try them until you are satisfied with the rom you choose.

THE ANSWER IS There is no answer. Do Not Try to make it a Competition between the roms. They are all great.. ALL OF THE Development in the roms have been done by people taking time out of there life to make them available for all.. Respect that. Follow the flashing INstructions . be careful and have fun..

if you want the BEST User experience. With the least bugs. go back to 3.2.1 Fully stock..

thanks for listening to my two Pennies. oh well maybe 3 or 4..

Now im Going to take a Bath.