Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)

Search This thread

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Well I have read and noticed that the data cap is set at 5 gig's. For some people. And after you pass those 5 gigs you get data slowed down (throttled). And in fact this did happen to me once!
But when I upgraded to my LTE phone.(skyrocket) The unlimited data cap is 10 gigs b4 they slow you down. Was just pointing that out since I haven't been slowed down at all. Full speed ahead:p. And now with the NOTE 2. Speeds are excellent on LTE!!:D. First test was out in San Diego with my girl having dinner!

So for all of you out there that have the grandfather unlimited data plan.:eek: Then sit back& enjoy you 10 gigs of full speed ahead.... Keep in mind that when I did those test I was way pass there so called 5 gig mark!!
uploadfromtaptalk1354899014518.jpg
This is what I get at home. And this is b4 the custom Rom!! Fully stock right from the store.. Me love me LTE:cool::D..

Here's the link to all the AT&T APN's. For who ever wants them!!:D
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2172110

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354898601642.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354898601642.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,829
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354898655689.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354898655689.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 2,892
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354898692733.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354898692733.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,710
Last edited:

flex3269

Jul 14, 2011
I passed my 5 gig last month an the moment I do I was throttled to an almost unusable speed. Who said it was 10gb officially?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Gary02468

Jul 25, 2011
I have AT&T's "unlimited" LTE plan for my Note 2. As soon as I approached 5GB in one billing period, I got a warning text, and shortly thereafter, was throttled back from 50Mb/s to 0.5Mb/s--a factor of 100 slower.

jmikeb92

Feb 23, 2012
Syracuse
I was told by a text message on my Inspire 4G as I approached a cap that it was 3 gigs for non LTE devices and 5 gigs for LTE before they throttled. An AT&T representative confirmed this when I picked up my Note 2. However I have heard that if you have proof of them throttling (I.e. screenshots of speed test) and you call them up and complain and even site a certain court case against throttling (Google it) they will remove the throttle. Though you may have to do this multiple times before they finally give up on throttling toy indefinitely. Now this is all rumors and hearsay so don't take my word for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

PolishPoower1

Dec 1, 2012
Boston
Hey guys im pretty new ...are these stats good ??

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354917185277.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354917185277.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 2,357

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Is that att.? What app are u using that gives u data?

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2! ;)

Yes I'm on AT&T. The app is AT&T smart Wi-Fi !

I passed my 5 gig last month an the moment I do I was throttled to an almost unusable speed. Who said it was 10gb officially?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

If you go on the AT&T website sing in and go to your phone and look up data usage. At the bottom it tells you what's your max kb. And what you have used. I'll pull it up, and post 4u!:eek:

I was told by a text message on my Inspire 4G as I approached a cap that it was 3 gigs for non LTE devices and 5 gigs for LTE before they throttled. An AT&T representative confirmed this when I picked up my Note 2. However I have heard that if you have proof of them throttling (I.e. screenshots of speed test) and you call them up and complain and even site a certain court case against throttling (Google it) they will remove the throttle. Though you may have to do this multiple times before they finally give up on throttling toy indefinitely. Now this is all rumors and hearsay so don't take my word for it.

No I didn't have to call and complain. Maybe we've been very long time customer's, with about 6 devices on there network that are all unlimited. So don't think that they would want to slow me down.:D

I'm going to go on the website and take a pic of what I'm saying about your total data that they give you. Mine is called LTE basic:confused:. Something like that.

jmikeb92

Feb 23, 2012
Syracuse
Well my family and I will reach our 20th anniversary in January so idk if its based off that. We also have 3 $30 a month data plans, mine being the only unlimited. I doubt I will reach 5 gigs but if they should I have taken the speed test screenshots to prove it.

mikaarce

Oct 29, 2006
Now this is what I just got, I recieved a TXT that I will be throttled bec. I reached 5 gigs, and then last nigth my wife got a TXT that she will be throttled because she reached 3 gigs. We both have unlimited and on family plan.

Last edited:

mjlewis0102

Dec 5, 2009
hey

Im on Verizon unlimited. I never been throttled. My usage for this month is 300Gigs.

Attachments

• datttaa.jpg
    datttaa.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,232

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
They didn't have the foresight to upgrade/update their network to handle the large data load, and for a business, it's much better to make more money by charging your customer more for going over their data limit.

Also, I'm grandfathered in and I have the 5GB throttle down. I'm not sure how the OP managed to not get affected by their mandated limit. It actually should say it in the contract that they'll throttle you down. They discussed it in length with me when I was upgrading to the Note II because I questioned it.

Personally, I don't like having a limit hanging over my head before I'm throttled. The reason I chose unlimited from the very beginning is the convenience that I don't have to worry about going over some data limit and suffering consequences. And believe me, with all the things you can do with the Note II, it's not that hard to hit that limit, accidental or otherwise.

Gvndeb60

Dec 20, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
287GB :D haha

They did away for the Money and such. T-Mobile has unlimated same for sprint and now U.S.Cellular.

I understand that they did it for money and i also believe that unlimited means unlimited.
But you cant tell me that 300gb a month isnt crazy. I cant blame them for wanting to shut that down.

hiii_imkris

Feb 6, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
AT&T still throttles at 5GB. Maybe the OP has just gotten LTE in his area. At home I've had LTE for about 4 months, and I get throttled. At work we just got LTE about a month ago and I don't get throttled. I'm at 8GB currently. Not sure how it happens, unless there's something that needs to be updated with the tower?

JonBryant

Jun 6, 2010
Seacoast, NH
My buddy has a OG note and uses over 20gb a month every month (no home internet). He never uses LTE though. He's under the impression that it's only LTE data that is capped, everything else is unlimited. He's never gotten a warning or anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I have read and noticed that the data cap is set at 5 gig's. For some people. And after you pass those 5 gigs you get data slowed down (throttled). And in fact this did happen to me once!
    But when I upgraded to my LTE phone.(skyrocket) The unlimited data cap is 10 gigs b4 they slow you down. Was just pointing that out since I haven't been slowed down at all. Full speed ahead:p. And now with the NOTE 2. Speeds are excellent on LTE!!:D. First test was out in San Diego with my girl having dinner!

So for all of you out there that have the grandfather unlimited data plan.:eek: Then sit back& enjoy you 10 gigs of full speed ahead.... Keep in mind that when I did those test I was way pass there so called 5 gig mark!!
    uploadfromtaptalk1354899014518.jpg
    This is what I get at home. And this is b4 the custom Rom!! Fully stock right from the store.. Me love me LTE:cool::D..

Here's the link to all the AT&T APN's. For who ever wants them!!:D
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2172110

So I dont know if this has been mentioned, if you have been throttled it can be very frustrating to have to deal with a 500kb download rate so I remembered when I had my skyrocket entering the wap.cingular apn stopped the throttle im at regular 4g speeds now went from 500 to at least 6,000kb per second. Try it out first time you activate it may take a while to acquire signal but youll get your speed back :)
    Try Phone. I'm hitting 20-40mbps during peak hours. (Late night.)

I did, but I have never in my life gotten those kinds of speeds on HSPA+. Are you sure you're not using un-throttled LTE?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

OK I'm a rookie with all this but I'm trying to understand. Are you saying there is a way around getting slowed down??

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium HD app

Well, kind of. If you're used to LTE speeds and AT&T throttles your download speeds, then you can enter an alternative APN in your "Mobile Networks" settings in your phone, and this will give you un-throttled HSPA+ speeds. It won't be LTE, but should be much faster than the 500kbps which AT&T will limit you to after you have passed the monthly data limit. The APN I have switched to is found in post #33 in this thread. After the billing period ends, you can switch back to your default APN and return to using LTE.
    You're definitely using LTE. 50mbps is impossible on H+. I do not have a "pta" APN, but I believe that one is still for LTE. I am running the latest AT&T stock firmware, and the default (and only) APN which AT&T put into it is "Phone." What ROM are you running?

Can you post a screen shot(s) showing the APN you created?

I too bought a att note 2. Att put me on the lte data plan. I traded my note 2 for a tmobile note 2. Im at 10 gig right now with no throttle.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE THE TMOBILE NOTE II OR THE AT&t NOTE 2 IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOUR USING THE PHONE APN YOU WILL GET THROTTLED AFTER 5GB OR AROUND on an unlimited plan. the T-Mobile Note 2 by default will use the wap.cingular apn which is NOT throttled thats probably why you didnt get throttled. In which you can do that with the AT&T note.....UNLESS your using the tmobile note 2 to get on the $10 unlimated plan, and in which can be taken away from you at anytime

I disagree. The Cingular APN doesn't work for me. As I've proven, I have unthrottled with everything working on the network. And I'm on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan.

And to those who were waiting to see my results on the workaround I stumbled onto for the throttle, allowing me LTE speeds beyond the 5GB limit, the workaround seems to work extremely well. I've since changed ROMs from when I originally stumbled on the workaround, and it still works.