Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)

Search This thread

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Sorry. I meant that I don't need to be tethered to use up 150+GB data in a month. I've hit 150GB before I even started tethering.

Got ya now. Yeah that's allot of juice used.

If we knew how, we'd probably be taking advantage of it.

+1

an even more truthful statement is: "if we knew how att detects tethering, we could discover other methods to go around it"

++1

somehow I missed this post.
so which apn do you use for hspa

I asked for it myself just to see what it was he was talking about! ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
GOSH! ughh haha. HSPA+ Works Fine with the NORMAL "Phone" APN. But after 5GB I get throttled on HSPA+ Only never really been throttled on LTE, But I hardly EVER get on LTE maybe a few times every few months.

Well Anyway After I HIT 5GB I change over to the wap.cingular APN I created which that APN is usually used on older devices and flip phones and for as long as I have used it for awhile its NOT as reliable like streaming services act up when using it, BUT HD YouTube, Downloads, and Speed Tests I usually average about 4 megs down and 2 megs up in my cruddy county, But In Knoxville Tennessee a few weeks ago I got about 9down and 1 up while throttled but by using the wap.cingular apn, When using the stock "phone" apn I couldn't get higher than about 0.45mb down.

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
GOSH! ughh haha. HSPA+ Works Fine with the NORMAL "Phone" APN. But after 5GB I get throttled on HSPA+ Only never really been throttled on LTE, But I hardly EVER get on LTE maybe a few times every few months.

Well Anyway After I HIT 5GB I change over to the wap.cingular APN I created which that APN is usually used on older devices and flip phones and for as long as I have used it for awhile its NOT as reliable like streaming services act up when using it, BUT HD YouTube, Downloads, and Speed Tests I usually average about 4 megs down and 2 megs up in my cruddy county, But In Knoxville Tennessee a few weeks ago I got about 9down and 1 up while throttled but by using the wap.cingular apn, When using the stock "phone" apn I couldn't get higher than about 0.45mb down.

Ok do me a favor. Can you set up that apn your speaking of then take a screen shot of it and post it:confused:! Because that's what we're asking for just to c what it is. Thanx

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
Ok do me a favor. Can you set up that apn your speaking of then take a screen shot of it and post it:confused:! Because that's what we're asking for just to c what it is. Thanx

Yea but just for internet all the APN is, You Give it a name (any name) and then the under the APN Field its just: wap.cingular . That`s pretty much it.. But for MMS you need to add more settings which are not required just only for MMS.

Screenshot_2013-02-24-11-42-29.png

I would show you a difference in the APN in speed but right now I`m home on my Microcell and 2 my billing cycle restarted today, But it shouldnt take long to get throttled when I head out.

Reactions: Bajanman

Sheolrock

Nov 21, 2011
I really hope they don't plug this hole now that you guys are posting the specific details.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
I really hope they don't plug this hole now that you guys are posting the specific details.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

This hole has been there SINCE throttling started I learned it when I had an international phone and was wondering why I never got throttled and that was because I was using the default APN which was the wap.cingular.

I HOPE THEY DONT. At my house on my Microcell when im throttled for some strange unexplained reason my data/mms wont work but only when im Throttled

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
maybe it is a good idea to let this thread bury itself and start a new one.

what do you guys think?

Well I started it so. I really don't think that anything can or is going to happen. If we're worried about them throttling us. It's going to happen. But we're all smarter enough to figure out a way around it. To get a lil More speed. Lol ;)

Kinda like it's having Google WALLET, on the NOTE 2! They (Google) stopped it, fixed the first version from working and they (XDA) fixed it..
Also we all respect & are cool with each other that are here. Not like some threads you go into. We know which ones!! :mad:
Just my 2¢ :cool:

Last edited:

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
I use a different APN setting to get around the throttling, and I get 30Mbps-50Mbps past the limit. The APN I use, I've only found in one website. So, it's not commonly displayed, so I'm more leery about just posting it on here. But, what I will say is what it does is when selected, it seems to activate the APN types internet and modem that originally belongs to the HSPA+ APN on LTE. I'm just not sure if the way it's set up tricks the network since after selecting it, it reselects my standard LTE APN while unthrottling my speeds and allowing me 30Mbps-50Mbps speeds. I'm also curious if it's associated with the fact AT&T detected my tethering.

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
I use a different APN setting to get around the throttling, and I get 30Mbps-50Mbps past the limit. The APN I use, I've only found in one website. So, it's not commonly displayed, so I'm more leery about just posting it on here. But, what I will say is what it does is when selected, it seems to activate the APN types internet and modem that originally belongs to the HSPA+ APN on LTE. I'm just not sure if the way it's set up tricks the network since after selecting it, it reselects my standard LTE APN while unthrottling my speeds and allowing me 30Mbps-50Mbps speeds. I'm also curious if it's associated with the fact AT&T detected my tethering.

Well we'll never know, if they in fact can detect the tethering. When we switch our APN back & fourth.. But one thing I do know is that they can see what ever phone we're using and the imie #. They weren't able to c it b4! But when they upgraded there system all of that changed! Learned that quite some time back. So from that being able to have that access, then what else can they get??
But I'm thinking that it helps by US using a custom Rom. And taking off ALL that AT&T crap:mad: that they put on the phone!

Sidenote: to everyone!
If ever they switch your account out of your grandfathered unlimited plan. And your unaware of it. You'll just have to go into a local AT&T store or call 611 CS. Ask for a supervisor immediately. In store ask for MGR!! FYI ;)
And tell them that someone switch your account without your knowledge and your want it put back the way it was. And after they perform a check to see if your account was, actually on a unlimited plan! Which don't exist anymore:mad:.
They'll switch it back for you!!! :D

It happen recently to a friend of mine's daughter switching phones, and data packages. (From android 2 crapple then back 2 android) And the rep screwed up on the account.
And deny anything that you know you have done that could have got it changed in the first place. :eek::what: LOL

Last edited:

jmikeb92

Feb 23, 2012
Syracuse
Well I finally got throttled. Down speeds of 530 kbps but up speeds still at lte speed. Question though with the unthrottled APN do I use different cell towers? In my dorm room I usually get between 3-4 bars but now I get between 1-3 and sometime it goes out completely. Anyway other APN to try that will get my signal back up?

Sent from my AT&T Galaxy Note II

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Well I finally got throttled. Down speeds of 530 kbps but up speeds still at lte speed. Question though with the unthrottled APN do I use different cell towers? In my dorm room I usually get between 3-4 bars but now I get between 1-3 and sometime it goes out completely. Anyway other APN to try that will get my signal back up?

What are your APN setting now? That's the question..

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
The one posted earlier.

You can try that one.:) But I've been looking all over for this APN thing everyone is going thru different things. So I have found like 5 different APN's. That perform differently. I'm still testing them all will put them up shortly!!

jmikeb92

Feb 23, 2012
Syracuse
You can try that one.:) But I've been looking all over for this APN thing everyone is going thru different things. So I have found like 5 different APN's. That perform differently. I'm still testing them all will put them up shortly!!

Alright sounds good! If it makes a difference I'm in Syracuse, NY

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Alright sounds good! If it makes a difference I'm in Syracuse, NY

u3y5u9y8.jpg

Ok almost done testing these different APN's I've been messing with. So don't know if there go to help anyone out but they'll b going up soon after I'm done testing. Trying to see what works & what doesn't.:D
I'm actually sending this from one of the other ones not the default APN.

benji667

Feb 20, 2013
Re: The Jedi Academy, or (Most) Everyting You Need To Know About Jedi ROMs

Y can't I resize note widgets n things anymore in xp11... I could in xp9 and xpx...

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

So what apn is the best and please post what to edit

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Y can't I resize note widgets n things anymore in xp11... I could in xp9 and xpx...

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

So what apn is the best and please post what to edit

Here ya go. I started a APN thread you'll find all of them over there.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2172110

Not sure about the xp11. Tried Jedi once when first released. Few things didn't work, that worked on other Rom's so never tried it again! Running DIAPHANESRc1

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I have read and noticed that the data cap is set at 5 gig's. For some people. And after you pass those 5 gigs you get data slowed down (throttled). And in fact this did happen to me once!
    But when I upgraded to my LTE phone.(skyrocket) The unlimited data cap is 10 gigs b4 they slow you down. Was just pointing that out since I haven't been slowed down at all. Full speed ahead:p. And now with the NOTE 2. Speeds are excellent on LTE!!:D. First test was out in San Diego with my girl having dinner!

So for all of you out there that have the grandfather unlimited data plan.:eek: Then sit back& enjoy you 10 gigs of full speed ahead.... Keep in mind that when I did those test I was way pass there so called 5 gig mark!!
    uploadfromtaptalk1354899014518.jpg
    This is what I get at home. And this is b4 the custom Rom!! Fully stock right from the store.. Me love me LTE:cool::D..

Here's the link to all the AT&T APN's. For who ever wants them!!:D
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2172110

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
    So I dont know if this has been mentioned, if you have been throttled it can be very frustrating to have to deal with a 500kb download rate so I remembered when I had my skyrocket entering the wap.cingular apn stopped the throttle im at regular 4g speeds now went from 500 to at least 6,000kb per second. Try it out first time you activate it may take a while to acquire signal but youll get your speed back :)
    Try Phone. I'm hitting 20-40mbps during peak hours. (Late night.)

I did, but I have never in my life gotten those kinds of speeds on HSPA+. Are you sure you're not using un-throttled LTE?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

OK I'm a rookie with all this but I'm trying to understand. Are you saying there is a way around getting slowed down??

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium HD app

Well, kind of. If you're used to LTE speeds and AT&T throttles your download speeds, then you can enter an alternative APN in your "Mobile Networks" settings in your phone, and this will give you un-throttled HSPA+ speeds. It won't be LTE, but should be much faster than the 500kbps which AT&T will limit you to after you have passed the monthly data limit. The APN I have switched to is found in post #33 in this thread. After the billing period ends, you can switch back to your default APN and return to using LTE.
    You're definitely using LTE. 50mbps is impossible on H+. I do not have a "pta" APN, but I believe that one is still for LTE. I am running the latest AT&T stock firmware, and the default (and only) APN which AT&T put into it is "Phone." What ROM are you running?

Can you post a screen shot(s) showing the APN you created?

I too bought a att note 2. Att put me on the lte data plan. I traded my note 2 for a tmobile note 2. Im at 10 gig right now with no throttle.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE THE TMOBILE NOTE II OR THE AT&t NOTE 2 IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOUR USING THE PHONE APN YOU WILL GET THROTTLED AFTER 5GB OR AROUND on an unlimited plan. the T-Mobile Note 2 by default will use the wap.cingular apn which is NOT throttled thats probably why you didnt get throttled. In which you can do that with the AT&T note.....UNLESS your using the tmobile note 2 to get on the $10 unlimated plan, and in which can be taken away from you at anytime

I disagree. The Cingular APN doesn't work for me. As I've proven, I have unthrottled with everything working on the network. And I'm on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan.

And to those who were waiting to see my results on the workaround I stumbled onto for the throttle, allowing me LTE speeds beyond the 5GB limit, the workaround seems to work extremely well. I've since changed ROMs from when I originally stumbled on the workaround, and it still works.