Download KitKat CM11 4.4.2 for Nook HD+ Here

Search This thread

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Time to get the Nook HD+ rolling on Kitkat! XDA forum member succulent (aka Iamafanof) has given me permission to post a link to his blog with all the necessary info that you need, plus the all important links to download his CM11 4.4.2 roms.

I had previously been running his CM 10.2 builds with sgt7 and they were great. Now, been running his CM11 builds since 12/16 and they are very functional and run extremely well.

It is highly recommended that you read over his blog to get the info you need to properly flash it. It's likely that your current recovery, be it CWM or TWRP will be unable to flash 4.4. You can try and if it fails, download the zip recoveries for either CWM 6.0.4.5.x or TWRP 2.6.3.0 on succulent's website listed below. Succulent recommends CWM but I've had great success with both of them. If you have a problem flashing the recovery zip, extract the image file from the zip and flash either through ADB or the PS app flashify from within your OS. EDIT: You do need to update your recovery to one of the above-mentioned recoveries.

Note: succulent's 4.4 builds are scripted to automatically install CWM 6.0.4.5b when installing the rom. But, the catch-22 is that you need to already have CWM 6.0.4.5.x or TWRP 2.6.3.0 to install 4.4 roms. :) EDIT 01/14/14: Currently, succulent's builds are now scripted to automatically install TWRP 2.6.3.0 instead of CWM 6.0.4.5b.

New TWRP 2.6.3.0 and CWM 6.0.4.5.x recoveries: http://goo.im/devs/succulent/ovation/recovery If you choose CWM, 6.0.4.5b is preferred as it supports both internal and ext sdcard.

Needless to say, make a nandoid backup before proceeding and if you're not comfortable doing this...DON'T!

Link to succulent's blogsite with download links: http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/cm11-0-kitkat-android-4-4-2-for-nook-hd-xx-20dec2013/

Note: There are two different builds, one for internal (eMMc) and one for sdcard, be sure to download and install the correct one. I am using the eMMc build,so I don't have any knowledge of how the sdcard build is working.

Additional link to succulent's rom builds on Goo: http://goo.im/devs/succulent/ovation/cyanogenmod/internal

On the Goo site, he also has his CM 10.2 builds that might be of interest to some of you. Note: His CM10.2 rom builds automatically install TWRP 2.6.3.0.

You must use KitKat 4.4 gapps. A gapps link is provided on succulent's blog site. Either use those gapps or the PA zero day gapps linked below. If you are going to use ART, it's recommended that you do use the PA zero day gapps for best compatibility. If you don't know what ART runtime is, google it! :)

All credit for the rom builds, as well as the new recovery images goes to succulent (aka Iamafanof). I am just spreading the news so we can all finally have KitKat on our devices.

EDIT: Just a reminder regarding the newer recoveries, CWM 6.0.4.5.x and TWRP 2.6.3.0, they are in flashable zip form on succulent's blogsite linked above. If you run into a problem flashing the zip, one of the simplest ways to get the job done is with Flashify. Just unzip the recovery zip to get the image file. Put the image file on your device and flash it with Flashify. Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.flashify

Regarding ART runtime: Since it's still "experimental", YMMV with the results you get. Google may decide ART isn't feasible and dump it going forward.

Note: Not all gapps packages are ART compatible, at this time it is probably best to use the Paranoid Android zero day gapps. Link for PA gapps: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942 Be sure to choose the current 4.4 gapps.

With ART runtime, it is generally better to initiate it on a fresh rom install and before you install all of your user apps. Btw, it's normal for it to take a long time to initialize on the first reboot. , I found that it generally takes a while to "settle in" and should become more fluid/speedier over time.

Always be sure to have a nandroid backup so you can easily go back to dalvik if ART isn't your thing.

One last thing about ART, Xposed Framework does not yet support it. It will appear to work but it does not. Matter of fact, with Xposed installed on your device, it will revert ART runtime back to Dalvik. Since I love using Xposed, this has kept me from using ART except to test it.

EDIT: Hey guys, just posting as new stuff comes up. Here's another possible alternative for those that may have a problem with either of the internal recoveries. XDA member sandsofmyst has put together a bootable TWRP 2.6.3.0 sdcard installer. If you use it, please post your results here and don't forget to give sandsofmyst a thanks click.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48549135#post48549135

Enjoy!
Mike T

Last edited:

supergroverthm

Jan 3, 2011
I'm in my kitkat glory right now. happy, happy, joy, joy.

Makes sure to update CWM BEFORE flashing CM11. Trust me, I lost 30 minutes trying to ungoober my Nook HD+.

Reactions: webdroidmt

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
I'm in my kitkat glory right now. happy, happy, joy, joy.

Makes sure to update CWM BEFORE flashing CM11. Trust me, I lost 30 minutes trying to ungoober my Nook HD+.

Good tip and we always learn by trying. :laugh: I already had TWRP 2.6.3.0 from a previous rom, so my install of 4.4 was quick and painless. LOL

If you haven't already, hook this baby up with Xposed module by rovo89. Some really cool extra features without bogging things down with stuff you don't want or need.

Mike T

Last edited:

felacio

Apr 16, 2007
Fayetteville
www.idle-handz.com
Oohh, I'm very very interested in this. Kept saying about memory optimizations for lower end device, have you noticed much performance differences? Pretty stable? Bluetooth, hdmi and everything work?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

D000XXX

Jan 31, 2010
Wow. Just wow :)

So now that you built it, can we expect it to become an official release soonish?

Thanks a lot for your work!

superanima

Aug 18, 2011
Hi, I just bought two nook hd+ one for me and one for my parents as a christmas present.
Beautiful devices, the only problem is that it does not provide italian as interface language,also all the appdownloaded from the play store are in english and I can't find a way to change that. My parents reallyneed the italian language sadly they don'tspeak a word of english....
So now I'm here wondering if this cyanogenmods have the italian language.
Saluti
Luca

felacio

Apr 16, 2007
Fayetteville
www.idle-handz.com
Hi, I just bought two nook hd+ one for me and one for my parents as a christmas present.
Beautiful devices, the only problem is that it does not provide italian as interface language,also all the appdownloaded from the play store are in english and I can't find a way to change that. My parents reallyneed the italian language sadly they don'tspeak a word of english....
So now I'm here wondering if this cyanogenmods have the italian language.
Saluti
Luca

Well, I looked in the Language+input section under settings and Italiano (Italia) and Italiano (Svizzera) are in there. I was able to switch to them and then...not be able to read anything so I'm assuming it's right. haha. Going into the Play Store all of the app names are still english but their descriptions changed so, it seems like it mostly works. I believe language support is an app-to-app basis though, so if the app developer didn't include Italian tranlations then it's going to be in English or whatever native language the App is in. I'm not totally sure how the language support works. Maybe someone else with more info can fill in my blanks.

On to this ROM as a whole, I've been playing with it, coming from CarbonRom 10.2 and haven't noticed much difference but I dig it none-the-less. I've tested Bluetooth headphones and my HDMI adapter and both work just fine. If anyone is wanting me to test anything let me know.

Reactions: Tschumi

supergroverthm

Jan 3, 2011
Wow, I have 342mb RAM Aavailable with GAPPS installed according to cool tool!

I've enabled ART and its showing on dev options. What's the deal with this new method? Is it better, faster, etc?

Last edited:

aedgington

Aug 5, 2013
Going into Settings>Dev Options and changing the runtime to ART and then rebooting...it doesn't get stuck in a bootloop, but going back into the Dev options shows that the Runtime option is still Dalvik and not ART so... I don't think that is there yet.

Awesome, thanks for checking. I think that may be where we'll see some performance increase, but if it's not implemented yet, there's no rush for me to install :)

chili81

Nov 13, 2010
Flashing CWM

Sorry for the bit of a newb question, but how are you getting the CWM update in there? My prior ROM flashing, I had just used the bootable SD card image that verygreen had setup. I don't know how to update the version of CWM on that image currently.

When I put CWM on my phone, I had used fastboot to install it, but I can't get fastboot to recognize my nook for some reason (adb works fine). Did you use this method (from cwm site)?:

EDIT: This doesn't work... flash_image seems to be scanning for some partition that's not available:
"error scanning partitions: No such file or directory"
Code:
adb push c:\flash_image /sdcard/
adb push c:\recovery.img /sdcard/
adb shell
su
mount -o remount, rw /system
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod 777 flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

Last edited:

norm883

Dec 1, 2005
Nook HD Kitkat

Sorry for the bit of a newb question, but how are you getting the CWM update in there? My prior ROM flashing, I had just used the bootable SD card image that verygreen had setup. I don't know how to update the version of CWM on that image currently.

When I put CWM on my phone, I had used fastboot to install it, but I can't get fastboot to recognize my nook for some reason (adb works fine). Did you use this method (from cwm site)?:

Code:
adb push c:\flash_image /sdcard/
adb push c:\recovery.img /sdcard/
adb shell
su
mount -o remount, rw /system
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod 777 flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

I placed the files on my internal SDCard/Download and TWRP could see them and I installed.
Went here to get the zip file http://www.mediafire.com/download/c32pw4qf1l9a0mu/flash_recovery_TWRP_2.6.3.0_internal.zip
After installing the new TWRP and reboot I reset the old ROM then installed the new ROM and GAPPS.

norm883

Reactions: chili81

chili81

Nov 13, 2010
That did the trick, thanks... I was thinking the older CWM would have same problem updating to newer CWM as it would KitKat.

FirePsych

Apr 28, 2012
Roswell, GA
Flashed TWRP 2.6.3, rebooted then tried to install 4.4 and got a mount/data1 error.
I'll guess I'll try with the new CWM.
Does anyone know if the new CWM can read and restore TWRP back-ups?

EDIT: rebooted then booted back into TWRP 2.6.3.
So far so good, flashing GAPPS now.
All good.

Last edited:

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Decided to put some extra notes here for those that only read the last page. :D Also put this in the OP.

Just a reminder regarding the newer recoveries, CWM 6.0.4.5 and TWRP 2.6.3.0, they are in flashable zip form on succulent's blogsite linked above. You should be reading his blog info anyway, so just scroll untill you see the links for those recoveries. If you run into a problem flashing the zip, one of the simplest ways to get the job done is with Flashify. Just unzip the recovery zip to get the image file. Put the image file on your device and flash it with Flashify right from within you current OS, ie; CM10.2 etc.

Regarding ART runtime: Since it's still "experimental", YMMV with the results you get. Also, Google may decide ART isn't feasible and dump it going forward.

A couple of things to note, not all gapps packages are ART compatible, the gapps I linked from 1209 do work, I'm not sure about the ones linked on succulent's blogsite from 1208. I believe the PA zero day gapps are also ART compatible.

With ART runtime, it is generally better to initiate it on a fresh rom install and before you install all of your user apps. Btw, it's normal for it to take a long time to initialize on the first reboot. I found that it generally takes a while to "settle in" and should become more fluid/speedier overtime.

Always be sure to have a nandroid backup so you can easily go back to dalvik if ART isn't your thing.

One last thing about ART, Xposed Framework does not yet support it. It will appear to work but it does not. Matter of fact, with Xposed installed on your device, it will revert ART runtime back to Dalvik. Since I love using Xposed, this has kept me from using ART except to test it.

Mike T

Reactions: supergroverthm

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Flashed TWRP 2.6.3, rebooted then tried to install 4.4 and got a mount/data1 error.
I'll guess I'll try with the new CWM.
Does anyone know if the new CWM can read and restore TWRP back-ups?

EDIT: rebooted then booted back into TWRP 2.6.3.
So far so good, flashing GAPPS now.
All good.

CWM and TWRP backups are not compatible, probably never will be unless some third party dev figures something out. :)

Mike T

Reactions: ajislav

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Time to get the Nook HD+ rolling on Kitkat! XDA forum member succulent (aka Iamafanof) has given me permission to post a link to his blog with all the necessary info that you need, plus the all important links to download his CM11 4.4.2 roms.

I had previously been running his CM 10.2 builds with sgt7 and they were great. Now, been running his CM11 builds since 12/16 and they are very functional and run extremely well.

It is highly recommended that you read over his blog to get the info you need to properly flash it. It's likely that your current recovery, be it CWM or TWRP will be unable to flash 4.4. You can try and if it fails, download the zip recoveries for either CWM 6.0.4.5.x or TWRP 2.6.3.0 on succulent's website listed below. Succulent recommends CWM but I've had great success with both of them. If you have a problem flashing the recovery zip, extract the image file from the zip and flash either through ADB or the PS app flashify from within your OS. EDIT: You do need to update your recovery to one of the above-mentioned recoveries.

Note: succulent's 4.4 builds are scripted to automatically install CWM 6.0.4.5b when installing the rom. But, the catch-22 is that you need to already have CWM 6.0.4.5.x or TWRP 2.6.3.0 to install 4.4 roms. :) EDIT 01/14/14: Currently, succulent's builds are now scripted to automatically install TWRP 2.6.3.0 instead of CWM 6.0.4.5b.

New TWRP 2.6.3.0 and CWM 6.0.4.5.x recoveries: http://goo.im/devs/succulent/ovation/recovery If you choose CWM, 6.0.4.5b is preferred as it supports both internal and ext sdcard.

Needless to say, make a nandoid backup before proceeding and if you're not comfortable doing this...DON'T!

Link to succulent's blogsite with download links: http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/cm11-0-kitkat-android-4-4-2-for-nook-hd-xx-20dec2013/

Note: There are two different builds, one for internal (eMMc) and one for sdcard, be sure to download and install the correct one. I am using the eMMc build,so I don't have any knowledge of how the sdcard build is working.

Additional link to succulent's rom builds on Goo: http://goo.im/devs/succulent/ovation/cyanogenmod/internal

On the Goo site, he also has his CM 10.2 builds that might be of interest to some of you. Note: His CM10.2 rom builds automatically install TWRP 2.6.3.0.

You must use KitKat 4.4 gapps. A gapps link is provided on succulent's blog site. Either use those gapps or the PA zero day gapps linked below. If you are going to use ART, it's recommended that you do use the PA zero day gapps for best compatibility. If you don't know what ART runtime is, google it! :)

All credit for the rom builds, as well as the new recovery images goes to succulent (aka Iamafanof). I am just spreading the news so we can all finally have KitKat on our devices.

EDIT: Just a reminder regarding the newer recoveries, CWM 6.0.4.5.x and TWRP 2.6.3.0, they are in flashable zip form on succulent's blogsite linked above. If you run into a problem flashing the zip, one of the simplest ways to get the job done is with Flashify. Just unzip the recovery zip to get the image file. Put the image file on your device and flash it with Flashify. Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.flashify

Regarding ART runtime: Since it's still "experimental", YMMV with the results you get. Google may decide ART isn't feasible and dump it going forward.

Note: Not all gapps packages are ART compatible, at this time it is probably best to use the Paranoid Android zero day gapps. Link for PA gapps: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942 Be sure to choose the current 4.4 gapps.

With ART runtime, it is generally better to initiate it on a fresh rom install and before you install all of your user apps. Btw, it's normal for it to take a long time to initialize on the first reboot. , I found that it generally takes a while to "settle in" and should become more fluid/speedier over time.

EDIT: Hey guys, just posting as new stuff comes up. Here's another possible alternative for those that may have a problem with either of the internal recoveries. XDA member sandsofmyst has put together a bootable TWRP 2.6.3.0 sdcard installer. If you use it, please post your results here and don't forget to give sandsofmyst a thanks click.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48549135#post48549135

Enjoy!
    Mike T
    This is in the new build.
    Built-in Screen Recorder (Hold Volume Up + Power) – Cut the Rope Gameplay
    What do you think?:cyclops:
    D
    Deleted member 2092952
    OMNI twrp 2.6.3.x sdcard five file boot attached to post.

Nook hd+ ovation

Change log of sorts for OMNI -> https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery/commits/android-4.4

OMNI has a decent amount of fixes over the original twrp 2.6.3 that is available right now. Last original version change was on Nov 3rd so all changes since then are the differences between them.

Original twrp 2.6.3.0 can be found a few posts earlier post #95.<-- See that for further install instructions and notes.

Thanks for doing this, I like to have options. I used up my 8 thanks for the day, will hit you up later tonight or tomorrow.

Mike T

No problem. I'm just having fun learning here ;) Thanks
    D
    Deleted member 2092952
    Updated twrp 2.6.3.0 sdcard five file boot attached to post.

[ see here for OMNI twrp 2.6.3 -> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48852229&postcount=102 ]

Nook hd+ ovation

Works with succulent's cm11 4.4 kitkat installs.

Unzip all five files onto sdcard. Then reboot with sdcard inserted. Wait for twrp recovery to appear.

Good for sdcard to emmc install.

I have probably not tested it in any other way.

Notes:

Kitkat install may fail at times - Just wipe, reboot, (install supersu if it asks after doing a top four advanced wipe), and try again if that happens. Not a big deal. That should work.

Built against succulents cm11 port.

Thanks to succulent, leapinlar, verygreen, webdroidmt, and whoever else for all their available work and info that I used to make this file appear.
    Also, dont forget that some std gaaps might not work well with ART, read the OP
    "A couple of things to note, not all gapps packages are ART compatible, the gapps I linked from 1209 do work, I'm not sure about the ones linked on succulent's blogsite from 1208. I believe the PA zero day gapps are also ART compatible. Link for PA gapps: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2397942 Be sure to choose the 4.4 gapps."

Thanks for quoting this. Since it appears that people have been having issues with some gapps packages and ART, I changed the OP to only show/link the PA zero day gapps as the recommended package to install.

Funny, I've used the 12/09 gapps that I originally had linked in the OP on both my N7 and Nook without a problem with ART. But, seems like others have had issues, so I'll just link the PA gapps.

I've also added direct links to both succulent's TWRP 2.6.3.0 and CWM 6.0.4.5x zip recoveries in the OP, as well as a Playstore link to Flashify for those who may need or want to flash the recovery right from their current OS.

Mike T