2.17.605.2_fireball ota ruu

Search This thread

articzap

Aug 28, 2012
Just updated. It was super easy.

Afterwards I reunlocked bootloader and got my root back.

Thanks for answering my questions a few pages back.:good:

bberryhill0

Feb 15, 2009
Sounds like the file is named wrong or in the wrong place. Check the OP again. In the root of the SDCard and not named .zip.zip

altayh

Jul 6, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sounds like the file is named wrong or in the wrong place. Check the OP again. In the root of the SDCard and not named .zip.zip

I appreciate your suggestions, but I can assure you that the file is named "PJ53IMG.zip" exactly (including case; excluding the quotes). I checked with both the File Manager and with "ls -al" from the Terminal. The folder it's in is /mnt/sdcard, which is the root SD card directory. Does it matter that I don't actually have an SD card in my phone? It must be the phone's internal memory that's pretending to be an SD card.

I already tried re-copying the file over (this time renaming it before I copied it), but it made no difference. I'll try re-downloading it just in case, but since the md5sum matched, I doubt it will make a difference.

Aldo101t

Mar 9, 2012
Pittsburgh
HTC U11
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I appreciate your suggestions, but I can assure you that the file is named "PJ53IMG.zip" exactly (including case; excluding the quotes). I checked with both the File Manager and with "ls -al" from the Terminal. The folder it's in is /mnt/sdcard, which is the root SD card directory. Does it matter that I don't actually have an SD card in my phone? It must be the phone's internal memory that's pretending to be an SD card.

I already tried re-copying the file over (this time renaming it before I copied it), but it made no difference. I'll try re-downloading it just in case, but since the md5sum matched, I doubt it will make a difference.

yes you need an external sdcard. put file on it. extension sd that is

Last edited:

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
sorry, i mean't that guy should have told he didn't have an sdcard Ext) in his phone not the op

i hope he deleted it after the install, forgot to mention that, but i think it's in the op

lol. When I read "OP", I assumed they meant Andy's original post. I wouldn't call the guy's question the OP, but the guy who asked should have read the real OP when it said "SD card", not the "/sdcard/" eMMC partition.

Reactions: andybones

bberryhill0

Feb 15, 2009
The external SDCard is /sdcard2/. Very confusing for those of us coming from phones without internal SDCards. It never occurred to me that hboot would look for a file on a card that didn't come with the phone. Ringtones show up from either card/partition. If you choose a ringtone from /sdcard2/ it disappears when you pull the SDCard.

Last edited:

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
The external SDCard is /sdcard2/. Very confusing for those of us coming from phones without internal SDCards. It never occurred to me that hboot would look for a file on a card that didn't come with the phone. Ringtones show up from either card/partition. If you choose a ringtone from /sdcard2/ it disappears when you pull the SDCard.

you should know how big your SD-card esp since it didn't come with the phone..

if you have a 2GB SD-card and you click on the 8GB spot for the internal, well that's just your fault, I'm sorry.

----------

"If you choose a ringtone from /sdcard2/ it disappears when you pull the SD-Card."
- I don't see how else it would react, you choose something, then took out the SD-card, of coarse it's going to be gone

IceDragon59

Jul 10, 2012
you should know how big your SD-card esp since it didn't come with the phone..

if you have a 2GB SD-card and you click on the 8GB spot for the internal, well that's just your fault, I'm sorry.

----------

"If you choose a ringtone from /sdcard2/ it disappears when you pull the SD-Card."
- I don't see how else it would react, you choose something, then took out the SD-card, of coarse it's going to be gone

Exactly. Also, because of the the Android system taking up significant space of the claimed 8GB storage space, you are only allowed 4.15 GB of space to store what you want. I have a 32GB MicroSD card, but am only allowed 29.7GB of space because they use 1 billion bytes (10^9 bytes) as a GB, despite RAM being 2^30 bytes. They call this GiB, or gibibytes. IEC vs SI, and nobody really likes it. Hard drives that were in megabytes (MB) were always the capacity they were labeled. Companies now protect themselves by saying "Actual formatted capacity less", despite the fact that I always have more than the number of bytes listed as available. Only a couple actually say 1 gigabyte = 1 billion bytes.

Also, if you have something on the SD card and you take the SD card out, do you really expect it to work?

Reactions: andybones

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I pulled the rom.zip from the new OTA(2.17.605.2) RUU that is needed for the root/ S-OFF exploit(AS OF 12/5/12 RELEASED).

INSTRUCTIONS

1) Download this - MD5 = 55023CC10B59FDEC0AAA6695C4CF83FB
    2) rename to PJ53IMG.zip (make sure it's not named PJ53IMG.zip.zip...)
    3) put the PJ53IMG.zip on the root of your SD-Card. (not in any folders)
    4) reboot to bootloader
    5) let the phone do its magic
    6) enjoy Sense 4.1
    7) smile. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a link if you want the RUU.exe for this OTA, mirror for link provided thanks to knighthawk65
    Full RUU.exe for 2.17.605.2 OTA
    MD5 = 266BA0801978A9F5CFABE6F316D207FF
    haha :) this is why I LOVE this community!
    you guys are awesome.
    in the rezound forums, once I tested s-off (on my only personal device mind you, having to use a paper clip....) and once I got it, they were also making the tool for about 6 other phones, so before it got released ALL phones had to be tested, so it took a bit longer for it to come, and when I made like the splash thread, some people spammed me saying how I'm rubbing it in their faces, and that's completely not true. I mean, I must have rebooted my phone over 100 times with that paper clip, I also figured out for the team that the SD-card was the reason, so that saved a lot of time and hassle for them.
    long story short, I sure as hell don't regret selling that brick of **** and buying this awesome phone with awesome people to share it with!
    Since we are only waiting for a tool for just our phone (I think anyway) it shouldn't take nearly as long as that wait IMO, but again I don't know. But it is pretty cool that the exploit was found in a new update, usually they break the exploits not open them up lol.
    big props to superdave for finding that otherwise this wouldn't of happened I don't think, or certainly not this fast anyway.
    Thank you for your upload!
    Thank you for your upload!

Very welcome. :)

Will users that don't have htcdev unlock be able to s-off?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using xda premium

Yessir indeed.
    6) enjoy Sense 4.1 and please wait patiently for the S-OFF tool.
    7) smile. :)
    Yeah, that's the thing first time I tried it wouldn't run, err msg, jist rebooted the.bootloader and it ran went down the list of things on right hand side going through updating/installing each one,showed the progress bar while updating. It finished successfully and I went.through initial setup, and is running fine. I am now back to stock kernal. I had to call verizion to update the prl. I just need get root back I'm still s-off and bootloader says unlocked with no tampered flag above it or anything. Just wanting get my root back, since s-off and unlocked I should be able fastboot a recovery.

it shouldnt say unlocked unless you did the dev unlock again. If it says it after an RUU it wasnt locked before running the ruu.

if it is unlocked now all you need to do is put it in fasboot mode:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

and it should put recovery on the device.