By sfhub, Senior Member on 9th May 2012, 01:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th June 2012, 06:00 AM |#511  
Flag Hellabama
Thanks Meter: 1,482

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm2011

Looks like you guys may have it licked, Congratulations!
Way to go, Esoteric!

I would offer my phone up for testing, but...

Well, I hope y'all understand...

Totally understand. Your contribution (sacrifice) is what helped move this thing forward and kept others from bricking during the same process.

Thank you
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Esoteric68 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Esoteric68 Ad-Free

8th June 2012, 06:08 AM |#512  
Flag Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks Meter: 2,539

More
Sounds like the bug is fixed... I'll have to try flashing with AGAT's FF02 repack.

I figured it was safe to use, but i cant afford a replacement if anything were to happen...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
8th June 2012, 06:12 AM |#513  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7,233

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattix724

Sounds like the bug is fixed... I'll have to try flashing with AGAT's FF02 repack.

I figured it was safe to use, but i cant afford a replacement if anything were to happen...

Just keep in mind the CM9 and AOKP public versions that were posted can still potentially brick your phone. Darchstar and T.C.P have mentioned they will make the necessary change next release.

For now, ONLY flash the BRICKFIX versions in the Test Plan post if you want to try flash CM9/AOKP in ICS Recovery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sfhub Ad-Free
8th June 2012, 10:38 AM |#514  
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 1,200

More
Downloading now!.....

Sent from my PaRAnO!D aNDr0id! o.O
8th June 2012, 10:53 AM |#515  
Flag Washington DC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub

If you plan on running through this test plan, you should be able to deal with a superbrick (having TEP or within return period would be best). Through code analysis, it is believed these are all safe operations, but until we test, we don't know for sure. I would like to start with one volunteer, then expand from there if successful.

Downloads
a) SPH-D710.ODIN_FF02_KERNEL_CWM_AGAT.exe
b) update-BRICKFIXv1-cm-9-20120606-SNAPSHOT-epic4gtouch-alpha5-signed.zip
c) update-kernel-CM9a5.zip
d) SPH-D710.FF02_CL663858_ROOTED-oc-sfx.exe
e) AOKP_BRICKFIXv1_Build-37_epic4gtouch.zip
f) update-kernel-AOKP-37.zip

Test Plan
1a) ODIN AGAT FF02 CWM Repack (Power+VolDwn)
1b) boot to recovery (Power+VolUp)
1c) Flash CM9a5 BRICKFIXv1
1d) reboot to CM9

2a) ODIN AGAT FF02 CWM Repack (Power+VolDwn)
2b) boot to recovery (Power+VolUp)
2c) Flash CM9a5 BRICKFIXv1
2d) reboot to CM9

3a) ODIN AGAT FF02 CWM Repack (Power+VolDwn)
3b) reboot to recovery (Power+VolUp)
3c) perform wipe data/factory reset
3d) Flash CM9a5 *kernel* update.zip
3e) boot to CM9

4a) ODIN AGAT FF02 CWM Repack (Power+VolDwn)
4b) boot to recovery (Power+VolUp)
4c) Flash CM9a5 BRICKFIXv1
4d) reboot to CM9
4e) make change to home workspace like adding/removing an app

5a) ODIN AGAT FF02 CWM Repack (Power+VolDwn)
5b) reboot to recovery (Power+VolUp)
5c) Flash CM9a5 *kernel* update.zip
5d) perform nandroid backup
5e) reboot to CM9

6a) ODIN AGAT FF02 CWM Repack (Power+VolDwn)
6b) reboot to recovery (Power+VolUp)
6c) perform nandroid restore
6d) reboot to CM9
6e) confirm your change from 4e is present

7a) ODIN Flash FF02 Stock (Power+VolDown)
7b) will automatically boot to stock FF02

8) Repeat Steps 1-6 using AOKP BRICKFIXv1 instead of CM9 BRICKFIXv1

Hey sfhub or Esoteric68 for steps (1c) & (2c) do I just flash 'CM9a5 BRICKFIXv1' without wiping right just want to double check b4 I perform this.... other than that I understand the instructions CLEARLY.

Edit: works for me and my changes from 4e are present on cm9 and AOKP. Looks like you may have got something here sfhub:thumbup:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krazy_smokezalot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift krazy_smokezalot Ad-Free
8th June 2012, 03:44 PM |#516  
Flag Hellabama
Thanks Meter: 1,482

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy_smokezalot

Hey sfhub or Esoteric68 for steps (1c) & (2c) do I just flash 'CM9a5 BRICKFIXv1' without wiping right just want to double check b4 I perform this.... other than that I understand the instructions CLEARLY.

Edit: works for me and my changes from 4e are present on cm9 and AOKP. Looks like you may have got something here sfhub:thumbup:

Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I was asleep lol glad it went well and appreciate you running the test.
8th June 2012, 03:51 PM |#517  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy_smokezalot

Yes, just want to get 2 straight flashes before doing a wipe. Nothing bad would happen if you didn't follow those steps and did a wipe, it is just a choice for what to test.

Glad it worked for you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sfhub Ad-Free
8th June 2012, 04:52 PM |#518  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:

Keep in mind, at some point someone will need to take one for the team or we will be forever in fear of bricking our phones using ICS-based kernels.

A donate button for sfhub will allow him to take MANY for the team . Congrats on the fix!
8th June 2012, 05:10 PM |#519  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholik

A donate button for sfhub will allow him to take MANY for the team . Congrats on the fix!

I would just like to stress that the *core* EMMC firmware lockup/superbrick bug is still there and unless that is fixed folks will ALWAYS be exposed to it to some extent.

What we are doing is eliminating the common paths by which someone might hit the bug, hopefully to the point most people don't notice it.

We are NOT 100% fixing the problem (ie so that nobody will ever see it again)

People can flash older kernel/recoveries, fake flash CWM Touch, older ROMs, etc. and still superbrick.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sfhub Ad-Free
8th June 2012, 05:47 PM |#520  
Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Team
Flag NE Ohio
Thanks Meter: 8,731

Donate to Me
More
Action Summary
Just to add on to sfhub's comment - At this point the goal should be trying to minimize the risk as much as possible as it will be statistically impossible to avoid eradicate the bug, even if we did get the eMMC controller patch.

Efforts so far have been great to this part:

1) Patch the stock components - OSRC is reviewing now and based on the update I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll fix the kernel. Certainly confirmation on this one is pending source; hopefully the code delay is giving them time to look at this and possibly add a kernel level fix prior to release.

2) Patch the most common and popular downloads - in progress thanks in great part to sfhub's efforts but also those of the E4GT dev community as well. The more that the popular/common downloads - particularly new builds as we go forward - are patched, the less we should hopefully see this.

Unresolved issues still remain though:

1) We still have nothing to deal with this after the lockup occurs. I'm still trying to check both with Mr. Sumrall and Samsung's semiconductor division to see if we might get something. Fortunately this should not be necessary as much once the above two actions greatly minimize the risk and most people who do brick can replace their phone by TEP/Asurion.

2) Scope beyond GS2 and Note: We've seen other eMMC PRVs, other devices that use these and it still isn't known if this could happen on other eMMCs made by Samsung - recently Entropy512 suspects the Kindle Fire may have a similar issue. Honestly don't know if this will ever get answered - it is part of my question to Samsung Semiconductor - but only time will tell.

I will suggest that once #1 and #2 are resolved that the first few posts by sfhub be updated with core information and that the thread be locked and stickied - perhaps even on the Development Forum as this will really be useful over there once this is mainly resolved.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to garwynn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift garwynn Ad-Free
8th June 2012, 07:03 PM |#521  
Flag Washington DC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric68

Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I was asleep lol glad it went well and appreciate you running the test.

No worries man I should have been asleep as I have had no sleep while attempting this! Not a very bright Idea

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)