26th June 2012, 03:03 AM |#601  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 713

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffneckZeVo

Hell ya got it working again

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Fantastic! You we're just about to give up. Glad you didn't sell it as a "brick."

26th June 2012, 07:10 PM |#602  
Flag Milwaukee, WI
Thanks Meter: 19

Donate to Me
More
yeah that worked for me as well. if partition tables are altered, can the emmc bug occur again?
26th June 2012, 07:38 PM |#603  
Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Team
Flag NE Ohio
Thanks Meter: 8,731

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by renzyyy

yeah that worked for me as well. if partition tables are altered, can the emmc bug occur again?

Don't know if anyone has tested that to be honest. "Fool me once..." and such.
26th June 2012, 07:48 PM |#604  
Flag Milwaukee, WI

Donate to Me
More
haha right. just thought perhaps if this method prevented it from happening again that maybe a phone that never encountered the bug could have its partitions changed & prevent it from ever happening. of course losing some of the internal memory, but the benefits from that would outweigh the cost in my opinion.

my apologies if this has already been discussed/brought up.
26th June 2012, 08:27 PM |#605  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,477

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by renzyyy

Almost surely - you'd have an even bigger chunk of the eMMC blown out.

I think eventually you'll pretty much lose the entire chip, or hit the bootloaders.

I was originally certain that this bug couldn't affect Galaxy S1 devices, but I realized they have hybrid storage - oneNAND/moviNAND for boot and /system and a few other partitions, but eMMC for /data and /sdcard - On those devices, wiping /data is starting to appear to trigger a bug that corrupts the partition table itself, rendering the entire chip unusable. (The Encryption Unavailable situation on those devices) - Currently this involves a lot of speculation though, far less is known about the EU situation on those devices, but it is starting to seem like it might be related.
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2012, 09:02 PM |#606  
Flag Milwaukee, WI

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

I think eventually you'll pretty much lose the entire chip, or hit the bootloaders.

yeah thats what i figured, thanks for the input.
26th June 2012, 09:15 PM |#607  
Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Developer / XDA Portal Team
Flag NE Ohio
Thanks Meter: 8,731

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

I was originally certain that this bug couldn't affect Galaxy S1 devices, but I realized they have hybrid storage - oneNAND/moviNAND for boot and /system and a few other partitions, but eMMC for /data and /sdcard - On those devices, wiping /data is starting to appear to trigger a bug that corrupts the partition table itself, rendering the entire chip unusable. (The Encryption Unavailable situation on those devices) - Currently this involves a lot of speculation though, far less is known about the EU situation on those devices, but it is starting to seem like it might be related.

Well now... that would definitely change the scope of the problem if true. Has anyone tried this on the i9001 as it does have the MAG4FA? I've been trying to find any test cases on XDA but haven't seen anything yet.

Anyhow from what you're posting it seems there is still progress being made albeit slow.

An "EU situation" has me going here:
http://www.jedec.org/sites/default/f...ictor_Tsai.pdf

Note in 4.5 the introduction of a "Discard" feature:
Discard Command
– A variant of the TRIM command that is more memory technology friendly

Is it possible that 0x19 was based on 4.4 standards but not fully compliant and 0x25 may be fully 4.5 compliant (meaning it can use the discard but not secure erase/trim?)

Again, know this is your field more than it is mine and that you might not be able to respond in public... but might be worth asking them the difference for the change.
27th June 2012, 12:18 AM |#608  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,477

Donate to Me
More
EU situation - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1447303
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th June 2012, 02:20 AM |#609  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garwynn

Don't know if anyone has tested that to be honest. "Fool me once..." and such.

I have. I odined sfhub ff18 ND got stuck on data.img. But the gnote pit nd eg30 brought me back

27th June 2012, 05:32 AM |#610  
Flag Emmet Ar
Thanks Meter: 178

More
I also resurrected my other e4gt but when I tried the pit and eg30 together it didn't work. I tried it twice but the I did the eg30 by itself after that and it stuck.

27th June 2012, 06:25 AM |#611  
Flag Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnukLHead

I also resurrected my other e4gt but when I tried the pit and eg30 together it didn't work. I tried it twice but the I did the eg30 by itself after that and it stuck.

I suggest following the step by step instructions I posted a few posts back.
If you have this certain problem where data.img gets stuck. And you can get into Download mode and Recovery. Then the method should work. You shouldn't run into any problems with the step by step instructions.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)