[Q] [POLL] Do we need NST specific launcher? (Preview version here)

Search This thread

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
DISCLAMER and WARNING: I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or the current economic crisis. Please do some research if you have any concerns about this app.

THIS IS PREVIEW!

Distribution policy:
This app provided exclusively on xda-developers, please post link to this thread instead of copying files to other resources, so users will be able to track changes and report bugs in one place.
However, I allow distribution in the rooting/sideloading packages such as MinimalTouch, Nooters, etc..., but only if credit/thanks and link to this thread are given and I'm notified.

Preview version attached.
It's still missing features, but fully functional as my (and few other testers) daily driver.

Known bug (not implemented/fixed yet): Not working in force landscape.

Also, this app is straight from my nook signed with debug keys, once beta will be launched you will have to uninstall and reinstall.

I travel at least every other week, so I have little time to dedicate to the project.
I'm considering to move source to github, so that other developers can contribute in order to speedup development.
Plz PST me if you are android dev and interested.

OLD TOPIC:
subj!

I found myself not liking android type home on my NST, but I do not have good design/look and feel ideas (Of course besides Partial Refresh and gamma friendly functions).

Please drop ideas and if we can come up with something interesting I can implement it.

Update:
Features to consider:
* http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2010/01/dsc00387.jpg
Recent added files widget
* High contrast icons and text, e.g. http://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/47XM7SydX7IhkXP3/theme.jpg
* Partial refresh
* Ability to open as dialog (as soft keys) with soft keys?
* app Drawer widget?, similar to https://market.android.com/details?id=com.th.android.widget.SiMiFolder

Attachments

• io.xor.nook.touch.launcher.apk
    494.4 KB · Views: 3,904
Last edited:

mdall

Dec 13, 2010
Paris
Yeah that kind of things sounds great.

Personally, I think that a mix between the (stock) nook launcher and a standard android launcher could be interesting.
For example, a screen with the last opened books (if it is possible) + links to favorite apps or something like that

BTW, there is already a Nook specific launcher (Relaunch). It has interesting features but I don't use it as I don't really like how it looks ...

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
Yeah that kind of things sounds great.

Personally, I think that a mix between the (stock) nook launcher and a standard android launcher could be interesting.
For example, a screen with the last opened books (if it is possible) + links to favorite apps or something like that

BTW, there is already a Nook specific launcher (Relaunch). It has interesting features but I don't use it as I don't really like how it looks ...

Relaunch looks terrible.

I'm thinking of partial refresh/color theme friendly aosp launcher with widgets for recently added books and will have to check about last access info.

May be high contrast recent/running apps widget as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium

Reactions: eded333

chriscsh

Aug 13, 2007
Hong Kong
i have a idea, cause i think some limitation of the eink display
i don't think we need too many scrollable effect, this only have one page at the main screen
it would be simple & high contrast
attached is some demo :D

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 5,297
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 2,705
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,593

rev0l

Sep 3, 2008
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
yeah i like the demo of chriscsh too...
(maybe round the corners, the squares are too windows phone like :))

and Id like to have a bar or something where you can place books with covers like on stock home or your demo...

the idea with a "native" nook touch launcher is very exciting :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: XorZone

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
yeah i like the demo of chriscsh too...
(maybe round the corners, the squares are too windows phone like :))

and Id like to have a bar or something where you can place books with covers like on stock home or your demo...

the idea with a "native" nook touch launcher is very exciting :rolleyes:

I don't even remember how the stock home looks like lol!

ryanpl

Jan 11, 2011
I think the idea of a NST specific launcher would be great. I prefer Zeam, but am using Go launcher because of widget management. Go Launcher allows you to resize widget once created AND there is a simple click here to delete. I have always had a problem deleting widgets using Zeam because I can't always tell when the widget is in the trash bin, i.e. 2x4, or 4x3 widgets. If the nook launcher could have go launcher like widget management that would be great OR if you go with the trashcan idea once item is in can have an x or something like that appear on the widget.

densets

Aug 6, 2011
Buenos Aires
Well, i think it would be easier to use a modified version of a popular launcher. The things that would need to be changed are transitions, animations, contrast and colours(nook touch themes i suppose).

To i use to minimize refreshing and ugliness i use Do it theme for go launcher ex, the change the app drawer background to a white one(just a white.png) and a wp wallpaper. The transitions for both the desktop and the app drawer is named shutter(go launcher ex, haven't tried others).It lets me go through the app drawers with out a full refresh. One last thing i did was changed the Icon set to the default.

Attachments

• shot_000002.jpg
    shot_000002.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,086
  • shot_000005.jpg
    shot_000005.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 841
Reactions: aryanwicked

tebra

Dec 8, 2010
It would be nice to have a small widget with next calendar envent (taken from google calendar acount) on the launcher

dhkr234

Jan 27, 2011
There are a couple of *minor* things wrong with the android standard launcher types;

1) Colors should be inverted. Most are black with colored icons over them. This makes sense on color LCDs, particularly AMOLED displays, because it saves power. Not on eink though.

Instead of colors on black, it should be colors on WHITE.

I am using golauncher, it is ACCEPTIBLE when the proper THEME is applied and background images are changed to plain white backgrounds.

2) Scrolling. Eink displays DO NOT SCROLL. The ideal launcher would get rid of all scrolling/moving/swiping/whatever cuteness effects and just flip from one state to the final without ANY intermediate states.

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
Features I'm thinking right now:
0. Based on aosp launcher or launcher-plus (at least partially)

1. Ability to set size of the app launch button to 2x1 or 3x1 as in http://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/47XM7SydX7IhkXP3/theme.jpg

2. Option to set higher contrast to the icons as I do in quicknav in my mod now.

3. I plan gestures in addition to arrow buttons, but w/o any animations.

4. Instead of darg'n'drop to uninstall and maybe for homepage cell action selection I plan to show action select popup.

5. Widgets with popups covering part of the screen for all apps, settings, recently added files (selected by the masks, e.g. *epub, *.fb2, *.txt, etc.) if possible with covers

6. Back/Menu/Home/Search buttons will not require root (will not show granted root Toast at top) if launcher running with my mod.

Reactions: eded333

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
WOW!!! If someone did a launcher that looked like this

attachment.php

with partial refresh for the nook touch, I would pay for it with pleasure, its gorgeous!

Hope this idea dosnt die, and development starts on this.

Mantain us informed XorZone, and thanks!

Last edited:

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
Looking forward to it, thanks for the update, and keep us informed when you have time to advance on this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAMER and WARNING: I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or the current economic crisis. Please do some research if you have any concerns about this app.

THIS IS PREVIEW!

Distribution policy:
    This app provided exclusively on xda-developers, please post link to this thread instead of copying files to other resources, so users will be able to track changes and report bugs in one place.
    However, I allow distribution in the rooting/sideloading packages such as MinimalTouch, Nooters, etc..., but only if credit/thanks and link to this thread are given and I'm notified.

Preview version attached.
    It's still missing features, but fully functional as my (and few other testers) daily driver.

Known bug (not implemented/fixed yet): Not working in force landscape.

Also, this app is straight from my nook signed with debug keys, once beta will be launched you will have to uninstall and reinstall.

I travel at least every other week, so I have little time to dedicate to the project.
    I'm considering to move source to github, so that other developers can contribute in order to speedup development.
    Plz PST me if you are android dev and interested.

OLD TOPIC:
    subj!

I found myself not liking android type home on my NST, but I do not have good design/look and feel ideas (Of course besides Partial Refresh and gamma friendly functions).

Please drop ideas and if we can come up with something interesting I can implement it.

Update:
    Features to consider:
    * http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2010/01/dsc00387.jpg
    Recent added files widget
    * High contrast icons and text, e.g. http://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/47XM7SydX7IhkXP3/theme.jpg
    * Partial refresh
    * Ability to open as dialog (as soft keys) with soft keys?
    * app Drawer widget?, similar to https://market.android.com/details?id=com.th.android.widget.SiMiFolder
    i have a idea, cause i think some limitation of the eink display
    i don't think we need too many scrollable effect, this only have one page at the main screen
    it would be simple & high contrast
    attached is some demo :D
    Mantain us informed XorZone, and thanks!

In progress. Unfortunately I'm flying a lot this weeks so can not concentrate on this atm.
    Is there anyway anyone could post screenshots? Or better yet, a youtube video of its features/in action?

Well, I worked on taking a screenshot, but it kind of... broke. I'm not entirely sure what happened here, but I'm just going to post the screens anyway. Currently, I've found you can get to your apps, place apps on the home screen, use regular widgets, and uninstall apps from it. You can't move the four small home icons in the lower left or place anything on them.
    TorimuNooter 0.4

I have made the decision to include this app in my newest version of TorimuNooter.