Search This thread

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
GUIDES [WM]: How to Increase Battery Charge Life (On Android - Pre"Android Guides")

DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD BEFORE READING THE WHOLE POST
PLEASE ADD GUIDES TO COMMON ISSUES YOURSELVES

I decided to open this thread as i saw a lot of people having the same problems. this might help with the "search" issue.
I will try to be as precise as possible while writing the guides so that when you search for something you will find it.

I will dedicate 1 post per guide as to keep everything as neat as possible (if you have comments about any of the guides.. or want to add something, please pm me).
the thread will not be closed but i urge you to post only if you have a guide to post.

also, if you decide to post a guide, please keep the guide as neat as possible, with a title containing the common searched words so that people who look for it can find it easily. (if you can, use the same color (dark orange) and same size (4) and Bold.. for the main title.. tho that's not a must :))

I volunteer in a community which helps deserted/hurt animals.
i ask you to open your hearts and donate if you find any of these guides useful. I will work hard on these guides and supply as many as i can to draw as many donations as i can. whoever donates will be listed in this very post.
all donations go to that service.. as my paypal is shared with them. THANK YOU :)

this donation link will be presented with each guide for your convenience:
If you found this guide useful please Donate.. (all donations go to TZABACH Wounded Animal Service)

Hope this helps a lot of you.
cheers

post #2. Restoring Data/Recovering Data from Devices and Storage Cards (even pcs)
post #3. Automatically Syncing Through Bluetooth (ActiveSync) [UPDATED 8.6.09]
post #4. A Definitive Guide to Bluetooth Services + Bluetooth Stacks
post #5. Setting Specific File Associations
post #6. Drive Mapping or "how the hell can i see my PC drives on my PDA?"
post #7. Storage card as a Removable Device instead of ActiveSyncing or "USBtoPC"
post #8. "How to backup your contacts/messages/email/notes/data/system...etc."
post #9. "How to Toggle Bluetooth/Wifi using Hardware buttons"
post #10. "How to control my PC through my PDA?" or "Remote Controls" (Media and more) [UPDATED 8.6.09]
post #11. "How to show Network Info/Network Info using a Today Plug-in
post #12. "How to control my PDA through my PC?"
post #13. "How to make the grey lines between the today screen plugins disppear?"
post #14. "How to stop activesync from turning itself on all the time?"
post #15. "Which shell is the best shell?"
post #16. "Which shell is the best shell?" - continued
post #17. "How to enhance Messaging?" or SMS Applications
post #18. "How to install M2D and change M2D skins?"
post #19. "How to remap hardware buttons?"
Post #20. "How to upgrade my device?" or "How to flash a rom?" (Referances)
Post #21. "How to 'safely' remove applications?" or "Remove Programs"
Post #22. "How to remove unwanted SIP's (Input Methods/Virtual Keyboards)?"
Post #23. "How to retrieve CAB Files from PC Installation Files" or "Retrieve CABs"
Post #25. "Registry Tweaks for Volume" by Aegishua
Post #26. "Flashing ROMS from SD card/Internal Storage/Bootloader"
Post #27. an addition to "Setting URL Associations" by selyb
Post #28. an addition to "How to retrieve CAB Files from PC Installation Files" or "Retrieve CABs" by Farmer Ted
Post #29. "How to add your City to both manila 2d and 3d" by timmymarsh
Posts #30-33. "How to: Edit the registry" by wg5566

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
Restoring Data/Recovering Data from Devices and Storage Cards (even pcs)

A lot of people have had this problem lately.. where they were losing important information to defects and malfunctions.

Restoring from Storage Card:

1. first and most important thing is, after losing your data DO NOT COPY ANYTHING to your storage card or it will overwrite the current data (yes, the data still exists but the pointers were deleted)

2. download Active Recovery: http://www.file-recovery.net/

3. use a card reader to read the card through your computer. DO NOT FORMAT IT!

4. use active recovery to recover from Removable Device

Recovering from My Storage (internal storage)

1. first and most important thing is, after losing your data DO NOT COPY ANYTHING to your device or it will overwrite the current data (yes, the data still exists but the pointers were deleted)

3. download nueMassStorage (or any other USBtoPC app. you can find a guide for it in this thread so you can choose the most compatible software for you if nueMassStorage doesn't work): http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/page/nueMassStorage.aspx

4. go to start/settings/connections/USB to PC and mark Mass Storage (USB Drive) instead of Activesync

5. Soft Reset

6. connect your device to your comp. the device will be read as a storage card.

7. use active recovery to recover from Removable Disk

If you found this guide useful please Donate.. (all donations go to TZABACH Wounded Animal Service)

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
Automatically Syncing Through Bluetooth (ActiveSync)

I've noticed that many people are looking for a solution to automatically sync their devices using ActiveSync bluetooth sync.

Setting up automated Bluetooth ActiveSync

[Update 6.8.09]
Solved! This new tools provides you with the ability to autosync to a specific computer through bluetooth, allowing you to set intervals, enable or disable the autosync and select which computer you'd like to connect to.

Auto Activesync via BT (when in range) by user dmkpoznan
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=530327
THIS IS FREEWARE

[/Update]

for this... you will need 2 tools and one script

1. MortScript - http://www.sto-helit.de/downloads/mortscript/MortScript-4.1.zip
2. BlueStarter - http://smartmobiletools.freehostia.com/drupal2/system/files/BlueStarterCab.CAB
3. BTSync script (written by le_cactus) - included in this post (downstairs)

these are the steps you need to follow:
1. install mortscript
2. install bluestarter
3. put the script file in a dir of your choice
4. launch bluestarter
5. set the bluetooth device you want to sync with (all should appear in a dropbox)
6. write the path of the script file (e.g. \\storage card\\BTSync.mscr)
7. go to menu/interval config and choose the way you want to sync..
8. (DONT FORGET THIS STEP) open the script file and change all NIR36-PC to the name of your bluetooth connection, that is to your comp's name.

A few clarifications.
- if you set the interval to "On Power Button Pressed" a BTSync connection will occur EVERY time you wake your device up
- if you set the interval to "Time Interval" it will sync every set amount of time.. and even if you're sleeping and your comp is on it will sync and stay synced.. so it may drain your battery.
- in any case, if your comp is off, it will try to sync but nothing will happen.

if you're looking for a normal BTSync without an interval you can just set one of the hardware buttons to run the .mscr

cheers

If you found this guide helpful please Donate.. (all donations go to TZABACH Wounded Animal Service)

BTSync File

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
A Definitive Guide to Bluetooth Services + Bluetooth Stacks

This is an old guide i wrote about 10 months ago. might help you out.

After a lot of strugle with using Wireless Headsets, Serial Ports, Activesync over BT and Sideshow... i managed to have them all work.. on VISTA and XP.
So i decided to write a fully detailed tutorial for whoever needs it.

Bluetooth Services Guide (including repairing commom bluetooth sync problem)

1. Know your Stack.
if your stack is the toshiba one, when you right click on the bt trayicon you should see OPTIONS..
if your stack is the microsoft one, ... well.. you will not see OPTIONS :)

2. before starting to deal with services i suggest you download one of the stacks below, according to your demand, and install them. also install Windows Mobile Device Center (from now on WMDC).

This is WMDC6.1 x86...

http://rapidshare.com/files/120340376/MobileDeviceCenter6.1-x86.exe.html

These are both the LATEST versions of both stacks: (up until the day of posting this message of course )

TOSHIBA STACK:
http://rapidshare.com/files/120186967/TOSHIBA_BTSTACK.zip

MS STACK:
http://rapidshare.com/files/120187911/MS_BTSTACK.exe

i strongly suggest you keep both files on your comp as a cover for any services one might provide while the other doesn't.
to save you the trouble. (after a correction from Jadel):
MS Stack works with both Activesync AND sideshow.
TOSHIBA Stack is problematic although more userfriendly AND provides some different options which might come handy. i had to go thru a ****load of trouble to sync it with Vista... and syncing it with XP isn't a teaparty either.

3. after finding out which one you have we can begin.

AS - ActiveSync.
this will probably be the most problematic service to have working since a lot of times it DOESNT APPEAR AS A SERVICE. when you try to sync with the comp it tells you you have to pair it.. even tho the device is already paired with the comp.
XP might be more flexible with this but the solution is for both XP and VISTA.

To Async using TOSHIBA Stack do the following:
a. open Control Panel and open the BT Ports editor..
b. add a port and choose it as a Server.. (usually it rounds up to ports 6 or 7 but you may have to try others..)
c. go to WMDC/Connection Settings and mark "Allow connections to one of the following.." and choose the port you created.
d. on your device go to Bluetooth Settings and add a new device... put the desired passkey... and you should see a list of the services the computer provides the PDA.
e. now this is a bit tricky to deal with. sometimes ActiveSync might not appear there. if it doesn't, go to COM Ports (in bluetooth settings on your device) and add the COM port you added on your comp..
go back to Devices and choose your comp and click Refresh. if ActiveSync appears there, mark it. if it doesn't, you should delete your comp from your device and this time add the port BEFORE finding your comp. it that doesn't work, you should follow the links i will provide soon.
f. on your device, open ActiveSync and under Menu choose Connect Via Bluetooth.

To Async using MICROSOFT Stack do the following:
a. open Control Panel and open Bluetooth Devices
b. click Add and add your device. go to Options and mark "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer" and "Allow Bluetooth Devices to connec to this computer". you can also mark other options as desired.
c. go to COM ports and add an INCOMING port. it will choose a port for you automatically.
d. go to WMDC/Connection Settings and mark "Allow connections to one of the following.." and choose the port you created.
e. go back to Devices and choose your PDA. choose Properties and go to Services. there you should see all services your PDA provides. one of them should be Active Sync Bluetooth Service. mark it and click OK. your comp and PDA should connect and disconnect a few secs later.

(if these methods don't work you should follow the reference links in the below post).

SP - Serial Port.
some services demand a serial port. for instance, if you're using the Desktop iGO8 and would like to connect a BT GPS receiver to your comp the serial port service must be enabled. i found TOSHIBA's stack to be much more flexible concerning port usage. in Control panel you have a BT Ports icon somewhere.. if you double click on it.. it will let you play with the ports and change them to help you adjust various devices as well as use the ports as Clients or as Servers. this is important for ActiveSync as well (depending on the device).

An example:
Ipaq's Desktop iGO8 supports a Bluetooth GPS receiver. to use it, you have to define a COM port (just as we did for activesync, depending on your stack)...
you will have to define a port for the receiver and make sure the Serial Port service is marked or the program will not identify the PDA. some programs might NOT need this service at all.
(of course, this is only for people who want to use their PDA's GPS receiver. people who have a seperate GPS receiver might get the port number automatically when pairing it with the computer or have to find the correct port themselves (in older receivers).

also, to use the Networking feature you have to use the Serial port service. (i will post links for this as well).

WH - I would prefer leaving this for later as i play with it a little further.

SS - Sideshow. (Vista Users)
i tried using sideshow on 3 different devices. Wizard, Polaris and Titan.
all 3 came out with nothing when i used the TOSHIBA stack. the devices didn't discover the SideShow service even tho it was installed on my comp and my device was paired with the comp.
now if you're using the MICROSOFT stack.. it's a whole different area.

Alright. so a little batch of detailed insturctions about using this:
(during the process make sure your device is DISCOVERABLE)

IMPORTANT! you should make sure the Sideshow software is active on your device while doing this. i tried syncing the service once with it on and once off and it sorta confused me. so we'll just agree on having it ON.

To use sideshow using TOSHIBA Stack do the following:
a. on your device, go to Bluetooth Settings
b. add your device.
c. look for the Sideshow service in the list. if it's there, Mark it, (on your comp) go to control panel, go to sideshow, and you should be able to mark V on the gadgets you'd like to use.
d. if it's not there, you should add a port on both your device and your computer. the ports should match.
e. go back to devices and refresh the Services list.
f. to my knowledge, if it doesn't work up to this point, give it up :)

To use sideshow using MICROSOFT Stack do the following:
b. click Add and add your device. go to Options and mark "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer" and "Allow Bluetooth Devices to connect to this computer". you can also mark other options as desired.
c. go to COM ports and add an INCOMING port. it will choose a port for you automatically.
d. go to Devices and choose your PDA. choose Properties and go to Services. there you should see all services your PDA provides. one of them should be Windows Sideshow. mark it and click OK. your comp and PDA should connect and disconnect a few secs later.
e. go to control panel, go to sideshow, and you should be able to mark V on the gadgets you'd like to use.

after syncing the service and choosing the gadgets you'd like to use from Control Panel/Windows Sideshow you can go back to your device and go back to the sideshow software and click Connect....... ................. ........

TP - Technical Port (this concerns only people who use ASUS's GXP Factory PDA so if you're not, just ignore this).
for the GXP to control Wireless devices such as ELTO's waterpipe controller and Applied Materials' connectors you HAVE to have a Technical port enabled as a service. other than Serial port this is the only service the GXP provides, so you won't have much trouble enabling it as it's part of the software.. it will always appear. MAKE SURE you DO NOT create another bluetooth port as it will use it instead of the default one and you will not be able to control ANY of the wireless devices around you.

If you found this guide helpful please Donate.. (all donations go to TZABACH Wounded Animal Service)

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
Setting Specific File Associations

there were a few queries about setting file/url associations.

1. download Schaps' Advanced Configuration Tool from http://www.touchxperience.com/

1a. thank Schaps for creating this unbelievable tool.

2. install it and soft reset

3. open the config tool from start/prorams/advanced config

4. click menu/more settings/file associations

5. a list will load containing all file association information on your device.

6. you can choose a specific file type from the list and assign a direct path or choose the Select Program... option to assign an app to run the file. REMEMBER to click SAVE after EVERY association.

7. click close and soft reset.

Setting URL associations

This issue doesn't contain much info.
Every browser (at least to my knowledge), contains the option to choose it as the device's default browser.
when chosen, every URL ran will be loaded using that browser.

for instance, if you are using UltimateLaunch and you set an icon to run http://www.xda-developers.com, it wil be loaded using the default browser.

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
Drive Mapping or "how the hell can i see my PC drives on my PDA?"

Before i managed to map a drive to my ppc i lost my mind.
eventually, thanks to a user named feanor512 i managed to have it work.
This guide will provide what you need to

Map a PC drive for access through your PDA

in this guide we will use JUVS HTC Network plug-in (attached below)

1. Install the "JUVS HTC Network Plug-in" cab
(if you're having problems you can try Schap's version.. also provided below)

2. Soft Reset

3. share a drive on your comp and setup the permissions. (this is done by right clicking on the drive, going to the Sharing tab, applying a sharing name and adding permissions. you should also (if applicable) go to the Security tab and add permissions there).
(usually this is done by right clicking a folder on your comp, clicking "Share..."" choosing the user.. and approving the share.
(in vista you have to remember to go to start/control panel/network and sharing center" and "enable Network Discovery and File Sharing" and disable "Password protected sharing").

4. on your device, go to "start/settings/connection/network plugin".

5. mark "enable network folder" and click "New..."

6. ENABLE WIFI

7. write the remote path: \\IP\sharedfoldername or \\COMPNAME\\sharedfoldername (i.e. \\10.0.0.1\apps) and write the name you'd like to assign to it in Local Name.
MAKE SURE YOU WRITE THE EXACT NAME OF THE SHARED FOLDER

8. click Map Drive. a message approving the mapping should pop up.

now you should be able to access the shared folder through you PPC. it should appear in /root/Network/sharedfoldername (you can see it in your File Explorer)

TROUBLESHOOTING:

my problem.. and apparently, not only mine, was that an authentication progress was flawed and i always got a message saying i can't map the drive.
so here's a solution to this problem. (both in Vista and in XP)

written by feanor512:

1.Start.
2. Run.
3. Type "mmc".
4. Ok.
5. File.
6. Add/Remove Snap-in.
7. Group Policy Object Editor.
8. Add.
9. Finish.
10. Ok.
11. Local computer policy.
12. Computer configuration.
13. Windows settings.
14. Security settings
15. Local policies.
16. Security options.
17. Right click on "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level".
18. Choose "Properties".
19. From the drop-down box, choose one of the first three options (you'll have to experiment). (i chose the 2nd one and it works)
20. Ok.

You're invited to pm me with questions.. if something isn't clear or if you're having problems.

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
"storage card as a Removable Device instead of ActiveSyncing" or "USBtoPC"

USBtoPC let's you choose whether you'd like to connect your device using USB in ActiveSync mode (a slow connection but let's you sync with your PC) or Removable Device mode (a fast connection which doesn't allow syncing but allows you to see your storage card as a removable device on your PC).

there are a few solutions our there.. but not all work on all devices.
I will try to address as many devices as i can.

SOFTWARE for USBtoPC or MassStorage (and WM5torage)

1. Softick Card Export

http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/

To my knowledge, this software works on all HTC PDAs but isn't free.
It's very easy to use once installed... all you do is enable it and once connected to your PC you will see your storage card as a removable device.

2. WM5torage (current version is 1.8)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=349143

This is a freeware.. very easy to use as well. It doesn't work on all devices... for instance, on my Polaris. it shows as a removable device but doesn't allow me to open it.

3. Tweaked WM5torage

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=2031817

this is a version tweaked by "lover" for Polaris and Kaiser.

4. nueMassStorage

http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/page/nueMassStorage.aspx

This is a freeware...an app created by "nue2chem". it supports Titan and Vogue.

all you have to do is install it and go to start/settings/connections/USB to PC.. and check the desired option. if i'm not mistaken, no soft reset is required.

5. HTC USBtoPC (from diamond)

http://rapidshare.com/files/122045574/HTC_Diamond_USB2PC_1.0.18143432.1.cab

this acts exactly like nue2chem's app... and honestly, i don't exactly know which devices are supported... you'll have to experiment.

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
Backup your contacts/messages/email/notes/data/system...etc.

another common question presented in the early days of the Q&A section and is presented still is "how do i back my stuff up?"

well...

How do I backup my Contacts/Messages/Email and/or my System?

Personally, and at work, I use 3 tools to back everything up.
I will review all 3.

1. PIMBackup 2.8 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=299705 - the tool was created by dotfred
PIMBackup IS FREEWARE

PIMBackup is used to backup information only. that is:
- appointments
- call logs
- contacts
- messages (SMS, Mails, ...)
- speed dials
- tasks

No installation required.

To backup your info:

a. Load pimbackup
b. choose Backup from the dropbox
c. choose the info you'd like to backup, click next
d. click browse and choose where you'd like the backup file to be stored
e. you can choose other options from the list according to your preference, click next
f. a backup file will be created in the dir you chose.

To restore your info:

a. Load pimbackup
b. choose restore from the dropbox
c. click browse and look for your backup file.
d. choose the info you'd like to restore...
e. the rest is pretty clear.

2. SPB Backup - http://beta.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/
SPB Backup IS NOT FREEWARE

SPBBackup is used to backup all info and data. it can also create an image of your system. The image is DOES NOT act like a regular PC image but an image of multiple files sitting separately in one file. It DOES NOT contain your ROM data... but if you need to restore to a previous state it works great. it can also backup network storage and storage cards.

To backup your info/data:

a. choose custom backup
b. choose the info/data you'd like to backup
c. click Menu/options and choose whether you'd like to create a stand-alone restorer or not. (the stand-alone restorer creates an EXE file while you can run from your file manager. If you don't choose a stand-alone restorer you will have to load SPBBackup and choose Restore Backup and choose the backup file).
d. write the file name and location where you'd like to save your backup file, click next
e. choose whether you'd like to have the info/data compressed... and encrypted.. and maybe add a comment.. (i usually write to which rom the backup fits)
f. the rest is pretty clear...

You can also backup the entire storage card using SPBBackup..
You can also choose to create a full backup which skips some of the above steps.

You can create a scheduled backup as well.. very useful.

3. SPB Clone - http://beta.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/clone/
SPB Clone IS NOT FREEWARE (putting it mildly)

UIwise, SPB Clone pretty much resembles SPB Backup in every aspect. it's straight forward and doesn't require instructions.

SPB Clone is more of an industrial tool. I use it at work to clone images of PPC's and restore them on different devices.
it seems that the differences between SPB Clone and SPB Backup are minor.. but there are a few relevant ones.
You can also backup the entire storage card using SPBClone..

-SPB Clone can be personalized to specific PPC IP's and owner names.
-SPB Backup doesn't depend on anything but the ROM and it less sensitive different rom versions.

-SPB Clone costs 299$ :)
-SPB Backup costs 25$

-SPB Clone doesn't backup sync info meaning you can't backup your sync profile. this is usually how it's done in enterprises. This means that if you used SPB Backup you would be copying all sync info to another person in your company. something you probably wouldn't want to happen.

and the most important one.
-SPB Clone's restore period is MUCH faster. SPB Backup restores files individually while SPB Clone restores a complete image of the device.
I will probably update this guide with more backup tools in the future.

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
Toggling Bluetooth/Wifi using Hardware buttons

apparently, it is a very common question.

How do i toggle Bluetooth/Wifi using Hardware Buttons only?

well... i'll present the 3 solutions and add some flavors to spice it up.

Toggling Wifi

1. Extract Wifi_ON_OFF.exe to your windows directory. (file attached below)
2. Extract Wifi_ON_OFF.lnk to your windows/start menu/programs dir.
3. go to Start/Settings/Buttons
4. choose the hardware key you'd like to assign Wifi_ON_OFF to.
5. from the dropbox below, choose Wifi_ON_OFF (as shown in the screenshot below)

Toggling Bluetooth

1. Extract Bluetooth_ON_OFF.exe to your windows directory. (file attached below)
2. Extract Bluetooth_ON_OFF.lnk to your windows/start menu/programs dir.
3. go to Start/Settings/Buttons
4. choose the hardware key you'd like to assign BT_ON_OFF to.
5. from the dropbox below, choose Bluetooth_ON_OFF (same as in Wifi)

While you are at it, i would recommend using HButton as a keymapping software. It already has the options of wifi-toggling and bt-toggling built in, and many more options. you can also map more than one app to each button.

You can download HButton from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=306794

To map using HButton

1. go to Start/Programs/HButton
2. load HBSetup
3. Choose the delay between app switching (this is the delay which will be set between each app mapped to the same button)
4. choose whether you'd like to vibrate when an app is loaded
5. choose whether you'd like to beep when an app is loaded
6. choose whether you'd like to display the name of the app loaded.
7. choose the button you'd like to setup (there is no difference between HButton1 to HButton7... or 5.. or any other.
8. if you choose "cycle" keeping the hardware button pressed will endlessly cycle between the same apps mapped to the same button
9. if you choose not to cycle, pressing the hardware button will show the first app, and if you keep it pressed during the previous set delay, it will move to the 2nd app and load it directly.
10. from the dropbox below, choose the option/app you'd like to map and click add. you can do this to as many app as you'd like. you can also browse for any file/app desired.
11. up/down will set the loading sequence.
12. click ok.

that's it, you're set to go.

the below files were NOT made by me.

Attachments

• Wifi_ON-OFF.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Bluetooth_ON-OFF.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 240
  • pc_capture1.jpg
    pc_capture1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 3,233
Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
"how do i control my PC through my PDA?" or "Remote Controls" (Media and more)

"how do i control my PC through my PDA?" or "Remote Controls" (Media and more)

there are many applications created to control your PC using your PPC.
some contain features to control multimedia applications, some contain keyboard control, mouse control, system control.. volume and so forth.

[Update 8.6.09]
A new tool is presented in the following thread, allowing you to control an app or two and add normal keyboard and mouse support to your PDA which requires NO SERVERSIDE CLIENT!

MobileSrc MobileRemote
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=504730
THIS IS NOT FREEWARE

[/Update]

let's present a few solutions.

1. Salling Clicker
http://www.salling.com/clicker/windows/
SALLING CLICKER IS NOT FREEWARE

Salling clicker is what I currently use. There's one reason for that and one only. Salling clicker let's you use scripts to control your PC. you can write them or download them. you can shut your screen off or turn it on, manage volume and system state, control your mouse, control Winamp, Windows Media Player, BSPlayer, M2VPlayer..powerpoint.. i can go on and on. the list is long.
Salling Clicker isn't as finger friendly and good looking like Gremote, but it does let you control your comp using both Bluetooth and Wifi and it also has the coolest feature between all remote controls - one of the scripts is an OSD which shows you callerid and stops any media player currently playing when you receive a call. this is very useful for me as I listen to Trance all day long and can't hear my phone ringing pretty often.

To use Salling Clicker
a. go to the website mentioned above and download salling clicker.
b. install the client both on your PC and PPC
c. go to http://www.salling.com/forums/ and find the scripts you would like to use.
d. copy the scripts to your PC to My Documents/My Clicker Scripts
e. load Salling Clicker on your PPC
f. Turn WIFI/Bluetooth on depending on which connection type you'd like to use
g. click Menu and connect using that same connection type. (if you choose wifi you will have to put in the right IP address, if you choose bluetooth you will have to choose the computer to connect to from the list of bluetooth devices)
h. after connecting you can start playing with the scripts. you will need to experiment in order to gain full potential out of this magnificent piece of software.

2. GRemote
http://gbmsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=10|http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=427097
GREMOTE IS FREEWARE

Gremote was created (and is still being updated) by GBM software (user named marbalon in xda-devs). The GUI is unbelievably cool and besides the fact that it makes the whole experience much nicer than in Salling Clicker it also is VERY finger friendly.
You can control your keyboard, media player, mouse, use some system controls AND, if you have a Gsensor, you can use it to control your mouse like, and i quote, "Logitech MX Air (not the same)".
Gremote is certainly the way to go if it meets all your demands and if you want something as user friendly as it can get.
The PC client doesn't require installation, you can just run it, which is nice, but you'll have to install a client on your PPC.
The major setback in GRemote is that it only supports Wifi thus making it necessary to have a router around or to connect using Ad-Hoc.

To use GRemote
a. download from the link above.
b. Install the client according to your device's resolution.
c. Run the PC client.
d. Activate your Wifi (You have to activate it BEFORE running the ppc client)
e. run Salling Clicker on your PPC and go to Profiles
f. You can create a profile manually or choose Find to find a comp running the PC Client.
g. after configuring the profile click Add. from now on, this profile will be saved on your PPC and you can run it every time you run GRemote by default.
h. Click Save
i. Click Go !!!
j. now you can start having fun with it.

You can also check out the PC client for other options like enabling/disabling vibrate on soft click... and so forth.

A new feature has been added recently letting you use your PPC as a Joystick.. or whatever you call it nowadays :)

3. Jerome Leban's Bluetooth Remote Control
http://www.jaylee.org/remotecontrol/
Jerome Leban's Bluetooth Remote Control IS FREEWARE

This application is the first remote control i've used on my PDA. It is somewhat old and doesn't have all the features of the other 2 apps presented above.
You can control your mouse, Mediaplayer, Winamp.. your screen... control your keyboard and even change bindings so that you can fit any key to whatever command you wish to execute. you can control powerpoint, itunes, PowerDVD.. and a few more regularly used applications.
This tool uses Bluetooth ONLY.
The mouse is not as responsive as you'd like it to be, making this app less useful and it is certainly NOT fingerfriendly.
I will not specify how to use it. you can download it and give it a shot. it requires both a PC and PPC clients to be installed.
If you need a remote for something specific, you will find it either in Salling Clicker or in GRemote, making this app obsolete.
You're welcome to try it tho and see if it fits you.

4. z2Remote2PC
http://www.z2software.com/Remote2PC.htm
z2Remote2PC IS NOT FREEWARE

It is pointless to start detailing the features of z2Remote2PC. this software is one piece of krazieass cement breaker. you can do pretty much anything you want using it. It isn't as finger friendly as GRemote, but i'll stop/start here and tell you that it differs from the other 3 since it's supposed to be a "far-away" remote control. you should use it to control your comp from outside your home.. you can see your PPC's screen on your PPC and do pretty much everything you can do using your PPC. it support Vista and even supports hard graphics (that doesn't mean you'll be able to play Crysis on your PPC.. :))
You should download this and experiment as configuration is endless. you will need to install both a PC and PPC clients for this to work.
notice you will have to open a specific port in your router and/or windows firewall for this to work. notice it supports Wifi/Cellular connections.
z2Remote2PC has a LO-HOT to offer and you can spend a day just going thru all the options/features.. both client and server side.

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
Showing Network Info/Network Info Today Plug-in

i've been asked about the possibility to show network information several times already

Showing Network Info/Network Info Today Plug-in

This is very straightforward. a today plugin called Connstate can show you details on ALL current connections.
You can see the Router's/Access Point's name, your IP Address, Type of connection (ActiveSync/Wifi/Cellular) and which network you are connected to.

Connstate was created by a user called dpduser and can be downloaded from this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=322058

all you have to do is install it and connect somewhere. you will see something like this:

attachment.php

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
"how do i control my PDA though my PC?"

"how do i control my PDA through my PC?"

to take screenshots, create video tutorials, or just control your PDA from your PC just because it's faster... you can control your PDA from your PC using a few applications.
Generally, they are all the same. i will review 2 common ones.. the rest are pretty much the same.

1. SOTI Pocket Controller PRO - http://www.soti.net/

SOTI Pocket Controller PRO is NOT FREEWARE
This is what I'm currently using... it is nice and useful.. the GUI is cool and very easy to deal with.

As you can see in the screenshot below, there are many nice and useful features and you can even use a skin to see the screen inside an image of your device.

f_Untitled1m_ad92258.jpg

You can explore your device's storage card and app storage, copy and delete files.. get system information, see the tasks running, registry, sync your device... you can rotate the screen, draw on it... and create screenshots or videos of your device... and much more.

connection is done by either ActiveSync or Wifi and you will have to set properties for it to work properly using Wifi.

to use SOTI Pocket Controller Pro
a. download the application from the above link and install it. it will also install a client on your PDA
b. run the app on your PC
c. click the Play button on the upper left side of the app and create a new connection profile and choose activesync
d. connect your device to the PC USING ACTIVESYNC and you will be able to connect.
to use it using wifi you will have to
a. go and click the upper left round icon WHILE THE DEVICE IS CONNECTED in activesync and go to settings
b. click settings
c. create a new profile and choose TCP/IP and leave the IP field blank
d. click ok
e. in Security choose Configure and choose to accept inbound TCP/IP connections.
that's it. when you click the play button you will be given the choice of either connecting using ActiveSync or using Wi-fi. if you choose wifi you will have to write the correct IP of your device. (you can use the previous guide in this thread to see your IP).

there are many many many many other features and options which you should play with.. give it a shot.

2. MyMobiler - http://www.mtux.com/

MyMobiler IS FREEWARE

MyMobiler is much lighter and consists of basic features. a full guide to mymobiler is supplied by Menneisyys
in this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=318425

there have been a few updates since he wrote the guide but it's generally the same.
you can download it and experiment. if you don't need much, mymobiler is the way to go as it's light and doesn't require a serverside NOR clientside installation. Mymobiler supports ONLY activesync connection.

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
"how to make the grey lines between the today screen plugins disppear?"

saw a lot of users pissed of by the annoying grey lines in the today screen separating the today plugins.

a user named "nothin" created a cab to annihilate those annoying lines...

so

"how THE HELL do i make those annoying lines between the today screen plugins disappear?"

this is what "nothing" wrote:

Code:
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Today]
"HidePluginSeparators"=dword:1

5fjc60.jpg

it works on
and more..

question is, if it works on lower/other ones...
damn, it is so useful.
----
reg found in 6.5.
----
of course, soft reset is needed after reg import to see if it works...

btw, tweak has NO effect for HS++ dividers, so hs++ dividers may be still used between hs++ tabs, if needed.

upd: cab in attachment, need info, if it's properly made.
you need to make manual soft reset after installation.
Code:

attachment:
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=150025&d=1232892977

I'd add a donation link for nothin but... he doesn't have one :)

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
"How to stop activesync from turning itself on all the time?"

"How to stop activesync from turning itself on all the time?"

This is a guide created by "markqld"...

(I've rewritten this for the HTC HD and I works Brilliantly well).

Active Sync can start again by itself via various scheduling routines. There is a way to prevent this known as the "Fake Server Trick":

This 'server trick' was discovered by an Aximsite forum member known as Invid
This post originally created by IamNotMe fourpages.co.uk (Adapted by me for HD)

"1. Turn on your Device
2. Go to Start > Programs > Activesync. This will open the Activesync program.
3. Tap Menu at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. This will bring up the Options Menu. Notice the option Schedule... is greyed out? This is the all-critical option we need to get access to. But as it's disabled we can't change Activesync's default synchronisation schedule.

Ok, so how do we enable the Schedule option? Easy!!! Fool Activesync into thinking there is an Exchange Server to sync with:

1. From Activesync's Menu tap on Add Server Source.
Enter any email and untick box then click next.
2. In the following screens you can enter any old garbage. It does not matter, but just in case your unsure, just type the following in the indicated boxes:

Server Address: fake
Leave box ticked and Tap Next
User name: fake
Password: fake
Domain: fake
Leave box ticked and Tap Next
Untick all of the 'Data you want to synchronise' options
Tap Finish

3. Ok, we're done creating the server. You should now see in Activesync's main screen your normal Activesync connection(s), and a new connection called Exchange Server.
4. Go back into the Menu, and lo and behold the Schedule option is now enabled! Go ahead and tap it!
5. You will see that both options in the Schedule screen may be set to Every 5 Minutes
6. Using the drop downs, change both the Peak times and Off-peak times boxes to Manually.
7. Press the OK button at the top right of the screen.

Congratulations! Activesync is now gagged from opening on it's own and ruining your life! Your work is not done just yet though – time to clean up and get rid of the now unwanted fake Exchange Server.

1. Go back into Activesync's Menu, then Tap Options.
2. Highlight Microsoft Exchange, then tap Delete. A warning message will appear about removing files etc, but as you have no files associated with the fake Microsoft Exchange, it's nothing to worry about – just tap Ok.
3. The list will now only show your remaining PC Sync connection(s). Obviously do not delete these!"

Note: some users say it works better if you leave the fake server there (undeleted). Not the case for me, however, it does no harm to leave it undeleted as it is totally inactive and has no effect.

PS. If you connect your HD to your PC with USB cable, ActiveSync will start automatically and everything will sync up as usual (I tried it). But after you disconnect, click the Task Manager button at top right corner of HD Flo home screen and tap the X next to ActiveSync to close active sync.

My Results: Processor & working memory usage is significantly decreased, battery lasts longer and ActiveSync is not trying to sync all the time.

another solution by bradipo.xda

I found that many of the latest ROM cooks of WM6.1 have the annoying issue of Activesync always starting itself every minute... i searched a lot and found the best common solution is the fake account with manual settings...
After playing around with the registry i managed to find a better way.
Just open your favourite registry editor and set the value:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\ActiveSync\KeepAlive
to 0

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
"which shell is the best shell?"

people tend to ask a lot of questions about different WM shells while the most popular one is "which is the best shell?"

honestly, it is very hard to answer this question if not impossible. customizing your today screen depends solely on your individual preference.
of course, there's the issue of usability. some shells are heavy on weak devices... some shells are more into the looks rather than being as usable as one wishes.. and so forth.

so in favor of redepmtion...ing you from this constant dilemma, let's elaborate on this issue.

I obviously forgot about a few shells.. i will edit this guide until I get the majority of them :)

"Which shell is the best shell?" (this is written mainly for search purposes)

I will specify the most popular shells, some created by users from xda-devs..
downstairs you will find a link to a file containing some photos of the shells.. just so you can get a feel of them.

1. Ultimate Launch AKA UL
xda-devs thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=389019
official website: http://www.ultimatelaunch.de/
UL IS NOT FREEWARE
resolution support: not resolution depedent

The reason for which i'm starting this list with Ultimate Launch is single and pure. Ultimate Launch is a "naked" and endlessly configurable shell. People who want to be 100% specific about their today screen looks, should use it.
Ultimate Launch consists of different tabs (or one only, if needed) while each tab can contain either icons, separators, or - yes, OTHER TODAY PLUGINS in it. This makes ultimate launch immensly usable as you can pretty much put whatever you want in any of the tabs.
You can move between tabs either by sliding the screen or by clicking the tab icons - that is, if you want to save screen space, you can have the tab icons at invisible and switch tabs only by sliding - this simulates a regular today screen .. doubled.. tripled.. quadrupled.... you get the drift.
To create a fitting today screen you will have to do some work, that's where my advice comes: if you want something work-ready, don't use UL.

In the picture below you will see only 3 tabs of the tabs in my UL setup.. just as a demonstration. The first tab contains FEWidgets, the 2nd contains contains contact icons, the 3rd tab contains app shortcut icons..

2. SPB Mobile Shell AKA SPBMS
xda-devs thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=389106
official website: http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/mobileshell/
SPBMS IS NOT FREEWARE
resolution support: theme dependent

SPB Mobile shell is definately one of the most popular shells as it is nicely customizable, fast, responsive and very nice looking.
Unlike UltimateLaunch, SPB Mobile shell is not directly customizable. you can change some of the options directly, but to completely customize the today screen you will have to download and install a skin (a lot of themes can be found in the xda-devs thread URL above). SPBMS works differently than UL. It doesn't allow different plugins and icons. SPBMS is independent and although it provides tabs for different information, it doesn't allow the same customizing power UL does.
What SPBMS does tho, is allow you to have an extremely sleek, fast and easy to use today screen, and since it is so popular, you will find endless amounts of skins for it.

3. rlToday
xda-devs thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=1601960
official website: http://rotlaus-software.de/projects/rltoday/
rlToday IS FREEWARE

rlToday is much simpler than the previous shells. It consists of one screen, no tabs. Thing is, that rlToday is good for different purposes as well. the skin files are read from an XML file, which makes things megaeasy. you can write an XML file to view images, read registry data.. pretty much do everything you can do in an XML file.
Think of it this way, you can put rlToday as a today plugin inside UltimateLaunch if you want a tab to read information from a specific xml file.

4. FEWidgets AKA FEW - by nicodega
xda-devs app thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=430190
xda-devs widgets thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=450668
FEWidgets IS FREEWARE
resolution support: QVGA/VGA/WVGA/WQVGA/WWVGA/WWPGAPGA.. lol.. you get the point

FEWidgets is wonderful. I'm sorry that i can't hide my personal opinion of it.. but FEWidgets is... wonderful :) It uses flash widgets (just like the omnia.. and better) which can be moved across the today screen. you can create your own widgets using FECommands in flash (instructions supplied in a doc file in the app thread).. AND, AGAIN, you can integrate it into Ultimate Launch if you want it to be contained in one of your tabs (that's what i did).
currently the built in widgets are.. a flipping diamond clock (looks even better than the TF3D one.. and is good for people who want to get the feeling of TF3D's digital clock without actually having TF3D).. there are shortcut buttons, analog clock, weather check, tasks widget, appointments widget, calendar widget, wallpaper changer, automatic SMS popup, unread messages and calls indicator, battery and signal indicator... and many many more. You need to have flash 7 installed for it..
here is the cab for flash 7 for mobile:
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flash/devices/pocket_pc/installers/fp7_ppc_en.cab

5. ThrottleLauncher AKA TL - by APBilbo
xda-devs thread: not needed
official website: http://www.throttlelauncher.com/portal/
TL IS FREEWARE

Throttle Launcher is the closest shell you can use to get the TF3D feel.. without actually having TF3D. That's if you use the TF3D pack. there are other packs as well. you can remove tabs, use a flash clock instead of a regular one, use flash widgets (a bit less customizable than FEWidgets.. and slower), use Rumball's weather pack (you can find it here) to get the exact feeling of TF3D's animated weather effects and more, you can use different contact interfaces, like the TF3D's contact swaper.. you've got a music tab, pictures tab, a new stocks tab (created by Rumball as well), a settings tab.. and more. You even have the scrolling feature in the home tab just like in TF3D. Even if you end up using something else, I suggest you at least try TL. it's definately worth the 15 minutes it'll take you to install and look thru.. and you might not want to let it go.

6. Manila2D AKA M2D AKA TouchFLO2D - ported from HTC by herg and others.
xda-devs app thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=398173
xda-devs VGA thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=429224
xda-devs skins thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=451702
M2D IS FREEWARE
resolution support: QVGA/VGA(partially)

Manila2D was created by HTC for the latest set of touch phones like the HTC Touch 3G and the HTC Touch. it consists of a specific number of tabs (now changable by a customizer created by mpenguin14 (found here), it has a Home tab with a clock, alarm status, missed calls status and next appointment status, a speed dialer tab, sms tab, email tab, internet tab, photos tab where you can slide thru your photos, music tab where you can play music and view album covers and an app shortcuts tab. In the last version, there's a Footprints tab. Footprints lets you take a picture of a place, and save it with its GPS position, a video, phone number, googlemaps shortcut.. and more.
M2D fits most HTC's devices today thanks to our lovely forum members who ported it. tabs can be removed and change a bit using the customizer.

7. TouchFLO3D AKA TF3D - ported by Chainfire
xda-devs app thread: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2758694&postcount=240
customization thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=437777
TF3D IS FREEWARE
resolution support: QVGA/VGA

TF3D is different than all other shells as it requires a good gfx engine to run properly. most devices can't run TF3D.. so unless you have.. a Kaiser and up (Polaris, Touch3G, Diamond, Raphael...) don't try it. I won't give anymore details. whoever wants to use TF3D will have to dig in deeper into the forum and read about it.
Currently, the new Touch HD TF3D is being ported to fit HTC devices other than the Touch HD.

8. iFonz - by ssj5trunks
xda-devs thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=436656
official website: http://thedogcorner.blogspot.com/
iFonz IS FREEWARE
resolution support: QVGA/VGA

iFonz is the best way to turn your device into an iPhone.. as much as possible.
nuf said :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHELL PHOTOS:
http://rapidshare.com/files/192258550/Shell_Previews.zip.html\

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
"which shells is the best shell?" - continued

9. HTC Home AKA HHC - thank you SaltyDawg for reminding me
xda-devs thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=319308
official website: http://www.pocketemu.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewforum.php?16
HHC IS FREEWARE
resolution support: QVGA

HTC Home is setup for work. It is a tab adjustable plugin. when you install it.. no adjustments will have to be made in order for you to use it.. it's very straight forward.
of course, you will have to choose speed-dial contacts and apps.. but that's it.

you can use 6 tabs. Home,Apps,Speed-dial,Weather,Sound profiles and Media
the home tab has a clock and sms/mail/missed calls indicators
the apps tab has 9 buttons for 9 apps
the speed-dial tab has 9 speed-dial buttons
the whether button.. well..
the sound profiles button lets you choose different profile settings.. such as vibrate, mute and so forth
the media button controls either Media Player or Audio Manager.

you can also use the HTC Home Customizer (link provided above) to change some of the options and replace skins (you can also remove tabs).
HTC Home will take about half of your screen and leave the rest for other plugins. you can, of course, use it with ultimate launch for maximized usage.

10. Touch Commander - by mchapman007
xda-devs thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=395150
official website: http://www.touch-commander.com/
Touch Commander IS NOT FREEWARE
resolution support: QVGA only (I think)

Key Components
•Touch Control - you can scroll list, open and minimize applications by finger sweeps
•Today Plugin shows clock, weather, launcher and more
•Cube-like Multipage Launcher starts applications and makes quick calls
•Touch Task-manager allows to close or activate running applications
•Finger-friendly Start Menu is a menu with big icons
•Touch Menu is finger-friendly popup menus
•Titlebar Battery Indicator

you can find screenshots of the shell in the official website.
generally, Touch Commander is sort of an HTC Home but more configurable and changes many other GUI elements as mentioned above.

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
SMS Applications or "How do i enhance messaging?"

well, the new threaded messaging feature introduced in WM6.1 was certainly a refreshing idea..
personally, i like it. it's simple, doesn't require much attention, and it compresses a long long list of messages i have from the age of 7 (?) to a nicely sorted list which i can work with so here is

SMS Applications or "How do i enhance messaging?"

then there's a but. that new threaded messaging feature is nice, but not nice enough..
so in my eyes, there are 2 options.

one is called:

1.SmileySMS - created by "roozbeh"
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=328363
SMILEYSMS IS FREEWARE

There's a reason for why smileySMS is brought here first. the reason is, that i can't see why anyone would need more than what smileysms has to offer.

after installing it, you suddenly see your threads become alive, containing smilies (duh), speedclouds like on the iphone (yes, the quality depends on your screen, but it's really nice), every thread displays the photo of the person you're chatting with (assuming you have it of course), your sms notifications contain the photo as well and are a bit more interactive..

SmileySMS also supports skinning, animated smilies, disabling of the application, sounds, zoom, different sound notifications, vibration, disabling of the threaded sms option (which some people are looking for), links inside the messages (you can also click the senders name to see other options) and more.

now the catch is, that there is no catch. what's so great about SmileySMS.. and probably its best feature, is that it intergrates with poutlook. you go thru the regular sms routine for reading and writing.. no additional software.

moreover, SmileySMS is free, which makes it extrasupercool.

please make sure to thank roozbeh after downloading this cool piece of .. plugin? :)

the other is called:

2.VitoSMS
http://vitotechnology.com/
VITOSMS IS NOT FREEWARE

VitoSMS is nice. I used to use it once when i needed to send tons of SMS at work. VitoSMS is an application. Unlike smileysms, it has to load.. and if you have a massive amount of SMS it will take a few seconds for it to sync.
Thing is, that VitoSMS reads from poutlook.. so the database stays synchronized all the time.

VitoSMS is nice (did i say that before?). it looks better than smileySMS (at least in my opinion), it supports all sorts of links, you can send multiple SMS, see different options for the sender including deletion, addition and more.

go ahead. try both and see what you like best.

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
"How to install M2D and replace M2D skins?"

It seems that people are having a hard time installing Manila2D skins.
So i'll just start from the beginning.

"How to install M2D and replace M2D skins?"

1. Download M2D's latest edition from (thanks herg):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=398173

2. Download M2DC's latest edition from (thanks mpenguin):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=427392

3. Install M2D (you can also install any fixes you see fit from the package).

4. Install M2DC

5. By now, M2D is supposed to be running on your device (that is, any other today plugin, after the M2D installation, should be disabled and only TouchFLO2D (M2D) enabled.

6. either search for skins or go to (thanks albert and twolf):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=451702

7. download your favorite skin.

8. If the skin is in zip format:
a. launch M2DC.
b. click Add
c. search for your theme's zip file.
d. after adding it, click on it and choose apply theme.
e. after a while you will be asked if you want to switch weather icons and/or tab icons. choose whatever you want...
f.. that's it. you can also browse thru M2DC's tabs.. .it's full of options.

If the skin is in cab format:
a. install the cab
b. soft reset your device.

Thankfully, M2DC doesn't require soft resets.

There are loads on loads on loads of themes for M2D.. you can also change backgrounds, clock tabs, weather icons... and more.. depending on what you're downloading.

IMPORTANT (somewhat): if you want to combine different themes, you can apply one, and then only change the clock... and apply one and choose to NOT switch tabs.. and change backgrounds seperately..

Last edited:

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
How to remap hardware buttons?

Saw a few threads regarding this issue... so here we are

"How to remap hardware buttons?"

There are several applications for this purpose, and the default WM app (which is completely useless).

1. WM Builtin App

1. go to start/settings/buttons
2. You will see a list of your hardware buttons (some may not appear.. as not all are considered as remapable.
3. Choose the button you'd like to map
4. Assign a program to it from the dropdown menu below

This is as basic as it gets.
now for the real stuff.

2. HButton
Official Website - http://hbutton.dyndns.org/
HButton IS FREEWARE

HButton allows you to map all KNOWN MAPABLE hardware buttons on your device to run different applications or perform different event based actions.
One of the best features of HButton is that you can map an endless amount of actions for each buttonl. You can also set the delay between each action (that is, if you use a hardware button to "run iContact" and then "Close Active Application" you can set the delay until it moves from one to the other).
You can also have it cycle between the actions so that it's an endless loop.. or have it run only one cycle, you can have it beep, vibrate, display the action performed when performed..

to use HButton.
1. Download HButton
2. Install
3. go to start/programs/hbutton/
4. click on the setup icon (there are several icons there..)
5. choose your preferences
6. choose a button (i.e HButton 3)
7. from the dropdown menu, choose the action you'd like to perform
8. click add
9. choose the next option (if required)
10. setup the running order (you can move actions up and down on the list)
11. choose th button you'd like to map to using the upper arrow
12. click ok
13. move on the the next HW button

You can see that in the default WM App the mapping of the desired HW button will appear as "mapped to HButton #X"..

No reset needed.

3. AE Button Plus
Official Website - http://ae.inc.ru/aebplus.php
AE Button Plus IS NOT FREEWARE (altho there's an older version which IS freeware)

AE Button Plus will do more than map hardware buttons and the mapping option will map more than only the KNOWN MAPABLE hardware buttons. You can map the Red/Green buttons and the volume buttons as well.
AEB allows you to change the delay as well, change power off levels, screen orientation, backlight settings.. and lots more.
Of course, the main issue here is the mapping. You can map a hardware button for Single Click, Double Click, Triple Click and Long Press. You can also choose the "Unbind Only" option which will unbind a hardware button from it's existing action.
I will not go over all mapping options because it's korazie.. but i'll just let you know what you need to do to map a button and you can play with it (you SHOULD play with it).

To map an HW button using AEBP
1. Download AEBP
2. Install
3. Run AEBP
4. Choose a hardware key from the menu
5. Click the below screen (where it says "Do not touch button")
6. From the dropdown menu, choose "Handle by AEBPlus"
7. Choose your desired key press sequence
8. You can choose between many many, many... MANY.. many options. the first one is to run an application. you can also "press enter", "press esc", simulate the dpad buttons, activate wifi, bluetooth, phone, cut, paste, Alt-Tab... and much more.
9. Click File/Save and Exit
10. Soft reset (not always a must.. but recommended)

4. Dredsensor - created by Dredger97
XDA-Thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=472280
Dredsensor IS FREEWARE

Dredsensor is meant for the Diamond and Touch Pro devices as it's purpose is mainly to let you remap the annoying Home and Arrow HW buttons which are COMPLETELY useless if not mapped.
You can use it to also map the Green/Red buttons.
Mapping options are not as broad as in AEBP but good enough.
You can choose which screen the mapping will be applied to (i.e if you want to map a hardware button to perform a specific action while the screen shows a specific application, that's what you should use). You can also create a general mapping profile to use the hardware buttons similarily in all windows.
You can map to Double Tab, Click and Long Click.
the default option is to vibrate when an HW is pressed. you can disable that option. You can also block the scrolling wheel's option.
There are many options here.. like running applications, events, simulating HW or Soft keys... and more.

to use Dredsensor
1. download and install
2. run dredsensorcfg
3. will continue later.. gotta go.

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
"How do I upgrade my device?" or "How to flash a rom?"

"How do I upgrade my device?" or "How to flash a rom?"

As this is an EXTREMELY long subject, I will post links to major threads/sections concerning this issue and leave it at that. You will need to dig in a bit to find exactly what you're looking for.. and read a bit, that is, to understand the risks and the necessary steps. There is no point in asking questions like "how do I flash a ROM?" in the Q&A thread as we will just return a link pointing to the Wiki.. or something of that sort.
You can also go to the XDA-Wiki and look for information (there is ****LOAD of information there about ROMs..)

To save you the trouble i will first tell you that flashing a rom consists of a few stages.
1. CID Unlocking
2. Hard/Soft SPLing
3. Flashing

This is very general. some devices need different things.. you will have to dig it out.

Wallaby - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=268
Blue Angel - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=386
Himalaya - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=428469
Alpine - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=287
Magician - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=231410
Wizard - http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=Wizard Windows Mobile 6 for newbies
Universal - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=357
Prophet - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=377545
Atom - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=388
Charmer - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=363882
Hermes - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=299462
Trinity - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=359
Artemis - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=362
Herald - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=361
Athena - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=429013
Kaiser - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=433835
Elf - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=406721
Vogue - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=391
Nike - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=367370
Diamond - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=416211
Opal - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=444
Blackstone - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=453
Polaris - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=399
Titan - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=384
Gene - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=472169
Pharos - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=398726
Juno - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=426
Sedna - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=434
Shift - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=395
Raphael - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=448008
Rose - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459
Jade - http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=463
X1 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=446070

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GUIDES [WM]: How to Increase Battery Charge Life (On Android - Pre"Android Guides")

DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD BEFORE READING THE WHOLE POST
    PLEASE ADD GUIDES TO COMMON ISSUES YOURSELVES

I decided to open this thread as i saw a lot of people having the same problems. this might help with the "search" issue.
    I will try to be as precise as possible while writing the guides so that when you search for something you will find it.

I will dedicate 1 post per guide as to keep everything as neat as possible (if you have comments about any of the guides.. or want to add something, please pm me).
    the thread will not be closed but i urge you to post only if you have a guide to post.

also, if you decide to post a guide, please keep the guide as neat as possible, with a title containing the common searched words so that people who look for it can find it easily. (if you can, use the same color (dark orange) and same size (4) and Bold.. for the main title.. tho that's not a must :))

I volunteer in a community which helps deserted/hurt animals.
    i ask you to open your hearts and donate if you find any of these guides useful. I will work hard on these guides and supply as many as i can to draw as many donations as i can. whoever donates will be listed in this very post.
    all donations go to that service.. as my paypal is shared with them. THANK YOU :)

this donation link will be presented with each guide for your convenience:

Hope this helps a lot of you.
    cheers

post #2. Restoring Data/Recovering Data from Devices and Storage Cards (even pcs)
    post #3. Automatically Syncing Through Bluetooth (ActiveSync) [UPDATED 8.6.09]
    post #4. A Definitive Guide to Bluetooth Services + Bluetooth Stacks
    post #5. Setting Specific File Associations
    post #6. Drive Mapping or "how the hell can i see my PC drives on my PDA?"
    post #7. Storage card as a Removable Device instead of ActiveSyncing or "USBtoPC"
    post #8. "How to backup your contacts/messages/email/notes/data/system...etc."
    post #9. "How to Toggle Bluetooth/Wifi using Hardware buttons"
    post #10. "How to control my PC through my PDA?" or "Remote Controls" (Media and more) [UPDATED 8.6.09]
    post #11. "How to show Network Info/Network Info using a Today Plug-in
    post #12. "How to control my PDA through my PC?"
    post #13. "How to make the grey lines between the today screen plugins disppear?"
    post #14. "How to stop activesync from turning itself on all the time?"
    post #15. "Which shell is the best shell?"
    post #16. "Which shell is the best shell?" - continued
    post #17. "How to enhance Messaging?" or SMS Applications
    post #18. "How to install M2D and change M2D skins?"
    post #19. "How to remap hardware buttons?"
    Post #20. "How to upgrade my device?" or "How to flash a rom?" (Referances)
    Post #21. "How to 'safely' remove applications?" or "Remove Programs"
    Post #22. "How to remove unwanted SIP's (Input Methods/Virtual Keyboards)?"
    Post #23. "How to retrieve CAB Files from PC Installation Files" or "Retrieve CABs"
    Post #25. "Registry Tweaks for Volume" by Aegishua
    Post #26. "Flashing ROMS from SD card/Internal Storage/Bootloader"
    Post #27. an addition to "Setting URL Associations" by selyb
    Post #28. an addition to "How to retrieve CAB Files from PC Installation Files" or "Retrieve CABs" by Farmer Ted
    Post #29. "How to add your City to both manila 2d and 3d" by timmymarsh
    Posts #30-33. "How to: Edit the registry" by wg5566
    Restoring Data/Recovering Data from Devices and Storage Cards (even pcs)

A lot of people have had this problem lately.. where they were losing important information to defects and malfunctions.

Restoring from Storage Card:

1. first and most important thing is, after losing your data DO NOT COPY ANYTHING to your storage card or it will overwrite the current data (yes, the data still exists but the pointers were deleted)

3. use a card reader to read the card through your computer. DO NOT FORMAT IT!

4. use active recovery to recover from Removable Device

Recovering from My Storage (internal storage)

1. first and most important thing is, after losing your data DO NOT COPY ANYTHING to your device or it will overwrite the current data (yes, the data still exists but the pointers were deleted)

3. download nueMassStorage (or any other USBtoPC app. you can find a guide for it in this thread so you can choose the most compatible software for you if nueMassStorage doesn't work): http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/page/nueMassStorage.aspx

4. go to start/settings/connections/USB to PC and mark Mass Storage (USB Drive) instead of Activesync

5. Soft Reset

6. connect your device to your comp. the device will be read as a storage card.

7. use active recovery to recover from Removable Disk

Automatically Syncing Through Bluetooth (ActiveSync)

I've noticed that many people are looking for a solution to automatically sync their devices using ActiveSync bluetooth sync.

Setting up automated Bluetooth ActiveSync

[Update 6.8.09]
    Solved! This new tools provides you with the ability to autosync to a specific computer through bluetooth, allowing you to set intervals, enable or disable the autosync and select which computer you'd like to connect to.

Auto Activesync via BT (when in range) by user dmkpoznan
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=530327
    THIS IS FREEWARE

[/Update]

for this... you will need 2 tools and one script

1. MortScript - http://www.sto-helit.de/downloads/mortscript/MortScript-4.1.zip
    2. BlueStarter - http://smartmobiletools.freehostia.com/drupal2/system/files/BlueStarterCab.CAB
    3. BTSync script (written by le_cactus) - included in this post (downstairs)

these are the steps you need to follow:
    1. install mortscript
    2. install bluestarter
    3. put the script file in a dir of your choice
    4. launch bluestarter
    5. set the bluetooth device you want to sync with (all should appear in a dropbox)
    6. write the path of the script file (e.g. \\storage card\\BTSync.mscr)
    7. go to menu/interval config and choose the way you want to sync..
    8. (DONT FORGET THIS STEP) open the script file and change all NIR36-PC to the name of your bluetooth connection, that is to your comp's name.

A few clarifications.
    - if you set the interval to "On Power Button Pressed" a BTSync connection will occur EVERY time you wake your device up
    - if you set the interval to "Time Interval" it will sync every set amount of time.. and even if you're sleeping and your comp is on it will sync and stay synced.. so it may drain your battery.
    - in any case, if your comp is off, it will try to sync but nothing will happen.

if you're looking for a normal BTSync without an interval you can just set one of the hardware buttons to run the .mscr

cheers

BTSync File

there were a few queries about setting file/url associations.

1. download Schaps' Advanced Configuration Tool from http://www.touchxperience.com/

1a. thank Schaps for creating this unbelievable tool.

2. install it and soft reset

3. open the config tool from start/prorams/advanced config

4. click menu/more settings/file associations

5. a list will load containing all file association information on your device.

6. you can choose a specific file type from the list and assign a direct path or choose the Select Program... option to assign an app to run the file. REMEMBER to click SAVE after EVERY association.

7. click close and soft reset.

Setting URL associations

This issue doesn't contain much info.
    Every browser (at least to my knowledge), contains the option to choose it as the device's default browser.
    when chosen, every URL ran will be loaded using that browser.

for instance, if you are using UltimateLaunch and you set an icon to run http://www.xda-developers.com, it wil be loaded using the default browser.

A Definitive Guide to Bluetooth Services + Bluetooth Stacks

This is an old guide i wrote about 10 months ago. might help you out.

After a lot of strugle with using Wireless Headsets, Serial Ports, Activesync over BT and Sideshow... i managed to have them all work.. on VISTA and XP.
    So i decided to write a fully detailed tutorial for whoever needs it.

Bluetooth Services Guide (including repairing commom bluetooth sync problem)

1. Know your Stack.
    if your stack is the toshiba one, when you right click on the bt trayicon you should see OPTIONS..
    if your stack is the microsoft one, ... well.. you will not see OPTIONS :)

2. before starting to deal with services i suggest you download one of the stacks below, according to your demand, and install them. also install Windows Mobile Device Center (from now on WMDC).

This is WMDC6.1 x86...

http://rapidshare.com/files/120340376/MobileDeviceCenter6.1-x86.exe.html

These are both the LATEST versions of both stacks: (up until the day of posting this message of course )

TOSHIBA STACK:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/120186967/TOSHIBA_BTSTACK.zip

MS STACK:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/120187911/MS_BTSTACK.exe

i strongly suggest you keep both files on your comp as a cover for any services one might provide while the other doesn't.
    to save you the trouble. (after a correction from Jadel):
    MS Stack works with both Activesync AND sideshow.
    TOSHIBA Stack is problematic although more userfriendly AND provides some different options which might come handy. i had to go thru a ****load of trouble to sync it with Vista... and syncing it with XP isn't a teaparty either.

3. after finding out which one you have we can begin.

AS - ActiveSync.
    this will probably be the most problematic service to have working since a lot of times it DOESNT APPEAR AS A SERVICE. when you try to sync with the comp it tells you you have to pair it.. even tho the device is already paired with the comp.
    XP might be more flexible with this but the solution is for both XP and VISTA.

To Async using TOSHIBA Stack do the following:
    a. open Control Panel and open the BT Ports editor..
    b. add a port and choose it as a Server.. (usually it rounds up to ports 6 or 7 but you may have to try others..)
    c. go to WMDC/Connection Settings and mark "Allow connections to one of the following.." and choose the port you created.
    d. on your device go to Bluetooth Settings and add a new device... put the desired passkey... and you should see a list of the services the computer provides the PDA.
    e. now this is a bit tricky to deal with. sometimes ActiveSync might not appear there. if it doesn't, go to COM Ports (in bluetooth settings on your device) and add the COM port you added on your comp..
    go back to Devices and choose your comp and click Refresh. if ActiveSync appears there, mark it. if it doesn't, you should delete your comp from your device and this time add the port BEFORE finding your comp. it that doesn't work, you should follow the links i will provide soon.

To Async using MICROSOFT Stack do the following:
    b. click Add and add your device. go to Options and mark "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer" and "Allow Bluetooth Devices to connec to this computer". you can also mark other options as desired.
    d. go to WMDC/Connection Settings and mark "Allow connections to one of the following.." and choose the port you created.
    e. go back to Devices and choose your PDA. choose Properties and go to Services. there you should see all services your PDA provides. one of them should be Active Sync Bluetooth Service. mark it and click OK. your comp and PDA should connect and disconnect a few secs later.

(if these methods don't work you should follow the reference links in the below post).

SP - Serial Port.
    some services demand a serial port. for instance, if you're using the Desktop iGO8 and would like to connect a BT GPS receiver to your comp the serial port service must be enabled. i found TOSHIBA's stack to be much more flexible concerning port usage. in Control panel you have a BT Ports icon somewhere.. if you double click on it.. it will let you play with the ports and change them to help you adjust various devices as well as use the ports as Clients or as Servers. this is important for ActiveSync as well (depending on the device).

An example:
    Ipaq's Desktop iGO8 supports a Bluetooth GPS receiver. to use it, you have to define a COM port (just as we did for activesync, depending on your stack)...
    you will have to define a port for the receiver and make sure the Serial Port service is marked or the program will not identify the PDA. some programs might NOT need this service at all.
    (of course, this is only for people who want to use their PDA's GPS receiver. people who have a seperate GPS receiver might get the port number automatically when pairing it with the computer or have to find the correct port themselves (in older receivers).

also, to use the Networking feature you have to use the Serial port service. (i will post links for this as well).

WH - I would prefer leaving this for later as i play with it a little further.

SS - Sideshow. (Vista Users)
    i tried using sideshow on 3 different devices. Wizard, Polaris and Titan.
    all 3 came out with nothing when i used the TOSHIBA stack. the devices didn't discover the SideShow service even tho it was installed on my comp and my device was paired with the comp.
    now if you're using the MICROSOFT stack.. it's a whole different area.

Alright. so a little batch of detailed insturctions about using this:
    (during the process make sure your device is DISCOVERABLE)

IMPORTANT! you should make sure the Sideshow software is active on your device while doing this. i tried syncing the service once with it on and once off and it sorta confused me. so we'll just agree on having it ON.

To use sideshow using TOSHIBA Stack do the following:
    a. on your device, go to Bluetooth Settings
    b. add your device.
    c. look for the Sideshow service in the list. if it's there, Mark it, (on your comp) go to control panel, go to sideshow, and you should be able to mark V on the gadgets you'd like to use.
    d. if it's not there, you should add a port on both your device and your computer. the ports should match.
    e. go back to devices and refresh the Services list.
    f. to my knowledge, if it doesn't work up to this point, give it up :)

To use sideshow using MICROSOFT Stack do the following:
    b. click Add and add your device. go to Options and mark "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer" and "Allow Bluetooth Devices to connect to this computer". you can also mark other options as desired.
    d. go to Devices and choose your PDA. choose Properties and go to Services. there you should see all services your PDA provides. one of them should be Windows Sideshow. mark it and click OK. your comp and PDA should connect and disconnect a few secs later.
    e. go to control panel, go to sideshow, and you should be able to mark V on the gadgets you'd like to use.

after syncing the service and choosing the gadgets you'd like to use from Control Panel/Windows Sideshow you can go back to your device and go back to the sideshow software and click Connect....... ................. ........

TP - Technical Port (this concerns only people who use ASUS's GXP Factory PDA so if you're not, just ignore this).
    for the GXP to control Wireless devices such as ELTO's waterpipe controller and Applied Materials' connectors you HAVE to have a Technical port enabled as a service. other than Serial port this is the only service the GXP provides, so you won't have much trouble enabling it as it's part of the software.. it will always appear. MAKE SURE you DO NOT create another bluetooth port as it will use it instead of the default one and you will not be able to control ANY of the wireless devices around you.