Battery drain on HTC caused by Google Play Services

Search This thread

SineandCosine

Nov 10, 2013
Hey everyone. I have a little problem. A few months back, I converted my stock HTC One to stock GPE and I have been having constant battery drain from Google Play Services. I was under the impression that the battery drain was fixed with the latest update, but I updated and my battery life is STILL horrible. I have wiped my phone and the problem still persists. Should I go back to stock? I really don't want to, but I've already backed up all my data, so it isn't a big issue.

If you need more information, please PM me ASAP. I really want this problem fixed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-14-20-35-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-14-20-35-44.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 835
  • Screenshot_2014-03-14-20-31-22.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-14-20-31-22.png
    157.6 KB · Views: 824
  • Screenshot_2014-03-14-20-32-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-14-20-32-04.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 772

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
Me too. Same story, same result. I've been trying various things for a few days now. Haven't figured it out either.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

squabbi

Jul 20, 2012
Sydney
For me I'm on HTC Sense 4.4.2 and google play services only makes up 3% of my battery drain. But I have noticed battery drain.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Prophet16

Feb 23, 2012
Fremont, CA
This has been a problem for a lot of KitKat devices. What I do is get App Opps and disable all "Keep Awake" and "Location" permissions for Google Play Services and all other apps that I know don't need those permissions. After that I get much more reasonable battery life. Give it a try.

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
I've been struggling with this for a couple weeks, trying something different after each charge. The results are always the same (horrible). I've turned off a lot of stuff trying to troubleshoot this. No one thing has emerged as a likely culprit.

Today I concluded the battery drain is worst when away from WiFi. If I am at home all day I can get over 3 hours of screen on time. If the phone spends the day away from my WiFi access point, I cannot get more than 2 hrs.

Just to be clear, this means while I am out and about, I burn through a full charge in 8-10 hours, of which the screen may be on for as little as 1 to 1.5 hours. This is not normal.

Anyway, this sounds like a radio issue somehow. Guess I'll experiment with that next.

Prophet16

Feb 23, 2012
Fremont, CA
I've been struggling with this for a couple weeks, trying something different after each charge. The results are always the same (horrible). I've turned off a lot of stuff trying to troubleshoot this. No one thing has emerged as a likely culprit.

Today I concluded the battery drain is worst when away from WiFi. If I am at home all day I can get over 3 hours of screen on time. If the phone spends the day away from my WiFi access point, I cannot get more than 2 hrs.

Just to be clear, this means while I am out and about, I burn through a full charge in 8-10 hours, of which the screen may be on for as little as 1 to 1.5 hours. This is not normal.

Anyway, this sounds like a radio issue somehow. Guess I'll experiment with that next.

Oh I completely forgot something important. Turn off the "Scanning always available" option under Advanced WiFi settings. That's a major battery hog.

NxNW

Apr 11, 2011
Yep, tried that. Even checked repeatedly to make sure it did not turn back on spontaneously (which I and others have observed). Tried different launchers, clearing caches, using battery saving location mode, disabling location reporting, disabling wifi, disabling GPS, tons of different things.

Haven't gone as far as disabling Google Now since I actually use it.

Mostly now I'm looking at why I have good battery life at home and horrible battery life away from wifi.

There a lot of food for thought (some parts more nutritious than others) at http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1u8alp/guide_to_fixing_google_play_services_battery_drain/

Last edited: