Splashtop (Bundled) vs. HD vs. THD vs. LogMeIn

Search This thread

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Hey guys,
So I got tired of muddling through the Splashtop THD threads and figured I could make a new one specific to what I'm wondering without hijacking someone else's thread.

I want/need to remote login to my computer regularly when I'm outside of the house. The bundled Splashtop app doesn't seem to work and just shows a black screen that doesn't ever update when I login or type or anything. It just stays black and the screen refresh rate is essentially 0, regardless of my remote connection. (My home connection is 20 down, 5 up).

Even on PocketCloud, I get a similar thing where it doesn't really log in to the computer and kinda freezes on the screen that presents before it shows the desktop. I've used logmein via the browser when I absolutely needed something done remotely and it's a big pain in the butt.

Here's my question: for TRUE remote login (outside of the house), what solutions do you guys use? I've heard the Splashtop HD app is actually quite good (and better than the bundled one). I've also read that it is more targeted for desktop use than the THD version, which is supposed to be for gaming. Lastly, how do these two compare to logmein? In my experience, Logmein has always been reliable via a browser on a computer, but I haven't ever tried their android app for iOS or android.

Thanks in advance!

alanhzl

Aug 12, 2010
bundled one i believe is HD, i have splashtop standard as well. The bundled one works flawlessly for me. i have used a few other remote login apps before. so far splashtop is the only one that would allow me to stream videos from my pc, and watch it on my prime.

I'm thinking about getting the THD version as well, if it's optimized for tegra 4 and has even better multimedia streaming performance.

also did you install splashtop streamer on your pc? as it's required in order for splash top to access your desktop. if remote within your network locally still doesn't pick up then, try to sync using your gmail.

anyways good luck.

bdneuman

Oct 27, 2011
Here's my question: for TRUE remote login (outside of the house), what solutions do you guys use? I've heard the Splashtop HD app is actually quite good (and better than the bundled one). I've also read that it is more targeted for desktop use than the THD version, which is supposed to be for gaming. Lastly, how do these two compare to logmein? In my experience, Logmein has always been reliable via a browser on a computer, but I haven't ever tried their android app for iOS or android.

Thanks in advance!

I've not used logmein, but I have used both the bundled Splashtop and HD. From home, where I have similar connection speeds as you, Splashtop HD works great but does have some random disconnect issues.

My problem with Splashtop is when i try to use it over 3G or slower wifi connection - it becomes completely useless. It will connect but responsiveness is nil.

That's when i switch over to Teamviewer. Teamviewer works GREAT over even slower 3G speeds. The only thing I don't like about Teamviewer is the way you move the pointer - kindof a virtual mouse type thing that takes some getting used to. I prefer the touch-to-click method of Splashtop but, again, it just does not stand up to Teamviewer as far as connection and performance goes.

Incidentally, teamviewer can connect pc-to-pc as well so I have all of my family's (and extended family's) computer's linked to my account so when the wife is having issues at home, I can simply remote in from the office or wherever and fix her up. It's a great program and it's FREE for personal use.

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
I've not used logmein, but I have used both the bundled Splashtop and HD. From home, where I have similar connection speeds as you, Splashtop HD works great but does have some random disconnect issues.

My problem with Splashtop is when i try to use it over 3G or slower wifi connection - it becomes completely useless. It will connect but responsiveness is nil.

That's when i switch over to Teamviewer. Teamviewer works GREAT over even slower 3G speeds. The only thing I don't like about Teamviewer is the way you move the pointer - kindof a virtual mouse type thing that takes some getting used to. I prefer the touch-to-click method of Splashtop but, again, it just does not stand up to Teamviewer as far as connection and performance goes.

Incidentally, teamviewer can connect pc-to-pc as well so I have all of my family's (and extended family's) computer's linked to my account so when the wife is having issues at home, I can simply remote in from the office or wherever and fix her up. It's a great program and it's FREE for personal use.

yeah, i forgot to include this. i tried teamviewer too a couple months ago, but I didn't like the UI. Seemed like it was a pain to move around and stuff.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

BSMan1011

Sep 14, 2011
Indianapolis, IN

I also use Teamviewer, it is especially good for phone becuase of the mouse movement control but I wish they had a tablet optimized version. The PC to PC is great with teamviewer I actually gave my mom a usb with a portable teamviewer program so I can provide tech support on the go to any computer with internet. But as far as the THD vs HD(Bundle) go I would like to have more feedback but I read somewhere that the main improvement is the controller acceptance and full screen support....if you plan on gaming through remote connection at all then go THD no doubt but other than that I am not sure...streaming video probably would benefit from it but I am not sure. And as far as LogMeIn goes, any $30app better be perfect as far as I am concerned( I am not sure of the actual app much beyond price though, it might be great) and the $7 THD would probably be just as good...and the free HD is great already so just sleep on it and chooce one...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA

lil-devil

Jun 30, 2010
Markham
www.curiositytotheoven.ca
depending on what you need to do with your computer outside your house,
i think your best bet is to set your computer up with VNC that way it goes from your tablet to your computer instead of through some other company's server and such

personally i think thats more secure

neonjcv

Oct 30, 2009
2X Client

I tried Splashtop (Bundled) but it didn't allowed me to copy something from my TF clipboard (Text not files) to the computer, so I've been using "2X Client", which uses the Windows Native RDP protocol. Is not great for multimedia, but it doesn't require any additional software to be installed on your target PC and let me copy text from my ICS browser for example to FireFox in the computer.
If I need to connect to a different computer at my house, I just remotely log into my router and change the port forward to a different computer.

hitekdroid

Jul 29, 2010
I like to use phonemypc since i paid $10 for it a couple years back. that said the bundled splashtop is a tad bit faster but disconnects for a second every few minutes. i still havent found one that streams video well even at home. i've yet to try the splashtop thd, though.

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
I tried Splashtop (Bundled) but it didn't allowed me to copy something from my TF clipboard (Text not files) to the computer, so I've been using "2X Client", which uses the Windows Native RDP protocol. Is not great for multimedia, but it doesn't require any additional software to be installed on your target PC and let me copy text from my ICS browser for example to FireFox in the computer.
If I need to connect to a different computer at my house, I just remotely log into my router and change the port forward to a different computer.

is this one free?

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
So just as an update to this thread, I downloaded and installed 2x and am still trying to figure out how to configure it for use outside of my wifi network. Pointers would be appreciated!

As for Splashtop THD, I bought it an hour ago, but I returned it because I still have the same issue. When I try to login, I get an unresponsive black screen with 3 scattered "login" boxes at times, but just now I tried again and just got a black screen!

I'm starting to think it may be a connection issue, but I have a 20d/5u connection at home with a strong wifi connection (802.11n, great throughput)

Has anyone seen this issue before with splashtop?

crystalstylez

Aug 3, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So just as an update to this thread, I downloaded and installed 2x and am still trying to figure out how to configure it for use outside of my wifi network. Pointers would be appreciated!

As for Splashtop THD, I bought it an hour ago, but I returned it because I still have the same issue. When I try to login, I get an unresponsive black screen with 3 scattered "login" boxes at times, but just now I tried again and just got a black screen!

I'm starting to think it may be a connection issue, but I have a 20d/5u connection at home with a strong wifi connection (802.11n, great throughput)

Make sure all the correct port ranges are forwarded. Won't work correctly if not.

justPorter

Sep 20, 2011

you have to be logged into your machine when splashtop connects. if your pc turns off display, sleeps, logs off, or is configured for multi-user it will not work. The streamer app should prevent the pc from sleeping. what operating system are you using on your desktop? you can test splashtop with the built-in version of mynet.

as for 2x remote for it to work outside your wifi you need to port forward tcp 3389 to your desktop ip address in your internet router. then you would configure 2x remote to connect to your internet ip.

Last edited:

AdyCarter

Sep 5, 2011
Is the bundled one called something different. Im not seen it on mine.

Edit. See itnow

Lostsorrow

Jan 11, 2012
i think your best bet is to set your computer up with VNC that way it goes from your tablet to your computer instead of through some other company's server and such

RealVNC has been flawless for me. Works real smooth on the prime. I use it a lot at work to bounce back and forth between my desktop and tablet when in meetings and such. You get mouse capability as well.

However a lot of people have been using Wyse pocket cloud pro with great sucess as well when outside the office. They could only get the paid version to work though.

Both are available on the "Google Play" market.

Reactions: EnemyOfGlaDOS

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
RealVNC has been flawless for me. Works real smooth on the prime. I use it a lot at work to bounce back and forth between my desktop and tablet when in meetings and such. You get mouse capability as well.

However a lot of people have been using Wyse pocket cloud pro with great sucess as well when outside the office. They could only get the paid version to work though.

Any tips on how to set it up? I have my computer behind two routers so I need to do some weird forwarding I imagine...

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium

corybrubaker

Aug 4, 2008
Fayetteville
I use Splashtop THD on my TFP and i love it i also use the HD version on phone and tablet from time to time as there are some things i like the HD version for as it offers a few mouse pointer eases and i don't always wanna use my finger as the mouse and prefer a more precise mouse pointer. as far as connection i haven't had any issues while connected to my wireless network. the 3g connection however is greatly dependent on the speed of said network so sometimes its awesome if i have 1m speed+ and little unresponsive or disconnects with lower speeds. the functionality however is just wonderful and meets all my needs eventually i will get the dock so that i can start gaming on it as its very difficult without. i also have streamed some of my 1080p movies i have on my computer and the fps is great sometimes there is a slight stutter but nothing that makes it a bad watch

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.