Will this brick my phone?

Search This thread

uscpsycho

Mar 25, 2011
I have an S3 with a bad motherboard that makes it reboot very erratically. Sometimes I don't get through the splash screen before it reboots itself.

The phone is rooted 4.3 with stock recovery so there is no way to make a nandroid backup.

I'd like to install custom recovery so I can try to make a nandroid backup but I'm afraid if the phone shuts off in the middle of the installation I'll end up with a brick. Is this something I need to worry about? Will I brick my phone if it reboots in the middle of the installation or can the phone gracefully recover from an aborted installation of custom recovery?

TIA

uscpsycho

Mar 25, 2011
If it reboots in the middle of the backup, nothing bad will happen
It's just copying your partitions when it does a backup so it's fine

Of course there is no harm in rebooting in the middle of creating a backup.

I'm not worried about rebooting in the middle of the backup. I'm worried about the phone rebooting in the middle of installing custom recovery.

Anyone know if there are grave consequences?

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7

I'm not worried about rebooting in the middle of the backup. I'm worried about the phone rebooting in the middle of installing custom recovery.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood.

But no, the recovery is not a vital part of the software. You can have a corrupt recovery and still have a functional device.

If you were flashing something like the bootloader, then you might have had problems there. But you should be good whether it goes through or not.

Reactions: uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mar 25, 2011

But no, the recovery is not a vital part of the software. You can have a corrupt recovery and still have a functional device.

If you were flashing something like the bootloader, then you might have had problems there. But you should be good whether it goes through or not.

Just to be clear, if my phone reboots in the middle of installing custom recovery there is no harm? What would happen if I tried to boot into recovery after an aborted installation? Would the stock recovery still be there or would my phone wig out?

Sounds like I can keep trying and trying until my phone successfully makes it through the installation process?

You said I "should" be OK. How confident are you that I'll be OK if the process is aborted midway through?

Thanks!

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7
Just to be clear, if my phone reboots in the middle of installing custom recovery there is no harm? What would happen if I tried to boot into recovery after an aborted installation? Would the stock recovery still be there or would my phone wig out?

Sounds like I can keep trying and trying until my phone successfully makes it through the installation process?

You said I "should" be OK. How confident are you that I'll be OK if the process is aborted midway through?

Thanks!

I am 100% confident nothing bad will happen if the phone reboots

When you try to reboot into recovery, the stock recovery may have been reflashes by the system (system/etc/install-recovery.sh script specifically) or the screen will just be black

uscpsycho

Mar 25, 2011

When you try to reboot into recovery, the stock recovery may have been reflashes by the system (system/etc/install-recovery.sh script specifically) or the screen will just be black

Thank you!

Now that I think this through a little more, I'm not sure this is such a good idea. My new phone will either have 4.1 or 4.3 with Knox on it. My faulty phone that I want to back up has 4.3 with Knox AND the warranty bit is tripped. If I restore from a nandroid backup is that going to result in my warranty bit being tripped again?

If so, probably better to just do the saferoot method on the new phone and restore my apps from Titanium Backup. Right?

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7
Thank you!

Now that I think this through a little more, I'm not sure this is such a good idea. My new phone will either have 4.1 or 4.3 with Knox on it. My faulty phone that I want to back up has 4.3 with Knox AND the warranty bit is tripped. If I restore from a nandroid backup is that going to result in my warranty bit being tripped again?

If so, probably better to just do the saferoot method on the new phone and restore my apps from Titanium Backup. Right?

Flashing a custom recovery will trip Knox, so yes, since you will need a custom recovery to restore the backup on your new phone.

uscpsycho

Mar 25, 2011
Flashing a custom recovery will trip Knox, so yes, since you will need a custom recovery to restore the backup on your new phone.

I did not know that. So I can saferoot without tripping Knox but then if I install a custom recovery that will trip Knox.

I guess I'll just root and try to get everything set up the way I had it on my original S3 then if it ends up being too much trouble I'll just restore a nandroid.

I'm not toooo concerned about tripping Knox because my warranty bit was tripped on my original S3 and I had no problem getting it replaced by Sprint. I don't think they even bothered to check if my phone was rooted or the warranty bit tripped. I think they just checked for physical & water damage, my phone didn't have so much as a scratch on it.

This is a bit off topic but anyone know if there are known issues to rooting this phone with the saferoot method? That thread is a beast to dig through.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!

Thank you!