Yes, please. (Honeycomb)

Search This thread

graditude

Feb 1, 2011
It is so cool that this works..

I ended up having to unzip it using Ubuntu since Winzip had some issue. I was unable to get it to image to a 4gb card, but my 8gb card worked like a charm. This is awesome. Thanks Deeper-blue.

sc2010

Jan 5, 2011
I ended up having to unzip it using Ubuntu since Winzip had some issue. I was unable to get it to image to a 4gb card, but my 8gb card worked like a charm. This is awesome. Thanks Deeper-blue.

If you have cygwin, you can use the command line unzip, just like you would on linux, to unzip and do dd to make the image to a 4gb card and it works. In cygwin, you need to find the proper device name for the sd card by doing the following "cat /proc/partitions" and you should be able to see which is the sd card. On my system, it's sdb, so I do "dd if=nookhoney.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=2048" (Note, I figured only the first 2G contains useful data and it proves to be right.)

Last edited:

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
But a half-bankrupt B&N? Phrrrt.... From now on, sales of NCs will most probably triple, if not more, be I a B&N's marketing boss, I'd be just openly applaud the feat and give Mr. Deeperblue tons of free books on Android programming, but that's all.
---------------------------------

TRIPLE the number of users who care about rooting the NC? I bet that's GOT to be at least 1000 ;)

ChrisJ951

Jan 25, 2011
Does anyone have a link to a version that fits on 4gb? I can only find ones which fit on 8gb

DZ469

Feb 1, 2011
Ok guys, I need some help. I have tried 3 different versions of honeycomb on my nook color and I can't get any of them to connect to wifi. I originally downloaded DP's version 2 and installed that on an SD card, wifi worked fine, but the market wasnt there. So i used easeus to delete version 2 on the card and then installed version 2a which came with market. But then 2a wouldnt connect to wifi, so i download honeybunches to a 4GB card that I had lying around. The wifi on that didn't work either. So i deleted 2a off the other card and then reinstalled version 2 but then the wifi wouldnt work on that either. IDK if I am uninstalling these correctly, but this is really frustrating. This is the whole reason I got a nook and its not working and i'm :(

basically what happens is i click on the wifi network (which has 2 bars) i type in my wifi username and password and it says connecting, but the reception drops to zero and it never connects.

graditude

Feb 1, 2011
Stuck on Flashing ANDROID

I am posting here because it looks like I need to post 10 times before I can post in the dev thread. A number of users can't seem to get past the flashing ANDROID. I have been able to flash versions 1 - 3 on my card until today. I just tried version 4 and it is just sitting at the flashing ANDROID. I tried formatting and writing the image many times with this and and older versions with no success. I can still format the card and use it as a storage card, but can not get ANDROID to successfully boot off it any more. After all these attempts I just threw in a cheap class 2 4gb card it it worked fine. The card I ended up having issues with was 8gb Kingston class 4. So from my experience when it does not get past the flashing ANDROID it seems to be card related.

Stevr

Feb 5, 2011
I am posting here because it looks like I need to post 10 times before I can post in the dev thread. A number of users can't seem to get past the flashing ANDROID. I have been able to flash versions 1 - 3 on my card until today. I just tried version 4 and it is just sitting at the flashing ANDROID. I tried formatting and writing the image many times with this and and older versions with no success. I can still format the card and use it as a storage card, but can not get ANDROID to successfully boot off it any more. After all these attempts I just threw in a cheap class 2 4gb card it it worked fine. The card I ended up having issues with was 8gb Kingston class 4. So from my experience when it does not get past the flashing ANDROID it seems to be card related.

I had a similar problem with v4. My wintec 16gb class 10 card worked great on 1-3 OC'd, but something has changed in v4 because with OC kernel, i get a boot loop and with stock kernel, I get a request to enter password to decrypt storage. Hoping the next release will fix this.

ionstorm3

Jun 5, 2010
I had a similar problem with v4. My wintec 16gb class 10 card worked great on 1-3 OC'd, but something has changed in v4 because with OC kernel, i get a boot loop and with stock kernel, I get a request to enter password to decrypt storage. Hoping the next release will fix this.

The fix for this is to replace the uImage in the boot partition with either the one from the overclocked kernel or the stock version. All that is required is that the uImage be deleted from the boot partition, then placed back in the boot partition. Do this using your pc.

The only downside to this is that this will be required every time you try to boot your device. To permanently fix this problem, install Honeycomb V4 to your emmc, or ur internal storage. If you need further assistance let me know.

Stevr

Feb 5, 2011
The fix for this is to replace the uImage in the boot partition with either the one from the overclocked kernel or the stock version. All that is required is that the uImage be deleted from the boot partition, then placed back in the boot partition. Do this using your pc.

The only downside to this is that this will be required every time you try to boot your device. To permanently fix this problem, install Honeycomb V4 to your emmc, or ur internal storage. If you need further assistance let me know.

I tried this using the stock kernel, 1GHz, 1.1 GHz and 1.2GHz. Everything still gave me the password prompt on v04 except the 1.2 which just locked on the android_ screen. Still works every time with v03 HC and 1.1 GHz kernel.

jerrykur

Oct 7, 2007

Same here. I experienced the same symptoms with a class 6 8 GB card. When I replaced it with the class 2 8gb card it worked fine. The build/device seems very picky about cards.

Stevr

Feb 5, 2011
Replaced my Wintec 16gb Class 10 with a Patriot 16gb Class 4 and v04 works with no password prompt.

I can no longer run 1.1 GHz kernel - lots of instability but it boots. I can run the 1 GHz a little better. Quadrant would not complete with any kernel. I have noticed issues with the Market in landscape but it works in portrait. Downloads are taking forever compared to the other card.

Stevr

Feb 5, 2011
Third card: 8gb Patriot Class 10

Finally got decent performance and no password prompts from HC v04. Having market issues but that is pretty common with this revision. Quandrant scores over 1750.

gentleman.nosh

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Deeper Blue

I just wanted to say what a great job deeper blue has done in getting Honeycomb onto the Nook.

It's been on my nook color for a couple of weeks now and it's awesome.

so much works that it a joy to have, it's easy to see the work that's been put into this release.

Thanks Deeper Blue :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    for all the people that can't wait:

graphics acceleration more or less working. The SGX driver seems too old for some buffer request of android 3.0, so right now the statusbar is invisible but still functional. Not sure if I can fix that or have to wait for the AOSP release.

What is not working... pretty much everything else, no accelerometer, no wlan, no sound. Haven't started working on those things yet.
    It does indeed run very slow so far.
    Touchscreen is working now. I'll try to get the graphics acceleration running over the weekend that should help with performance.

(and I think it's stupid that I can't post or reply in the development forum without having more than 10 posts.)
    I made a zombie out of the honeycomb preview and one of the nook kernels.
    Touch input doesn't work, no hardware acceleration etc.
    This is my 10th post. I think I'll start a thread in the dev section soon.
    A small update:

The graphics problem is due to the SGX drivers not supporting RGBX_8888 and android assuming it works. With the honeycomb source this would be no problem to fix with some ifs and a recompile. So instead I'm patching the binaries by hand. The statusbar still isn't visible but at least other programs work now instead of showing a black screen.

Still haven't looked into why the sensors don't work. I assume the interface might have changed ... I can see the acceleration sensor working at /dev/input/event3

I have it running from an SD card. It also seems to hibernate/sleep without a problem now.

I'll upload all of this to github and upload a binary somewhere when it's a little bit more usable.

Patience is a virtue (= I have a social life too).