[simple]How to stop OTA's[tutorial]

Search This thread

rvr350

Nov 18, 2011
Not sure what happend. Titanium backup says devicemanagerservice 2.3.4 has been updated, a bunch of aps in the restore section of titanium backup have 2.3.4 next to them, but my software version still says 1.4.0?

Sent from my rooted Nook Tablet.

ditto here as well. I've done uncheck/check usb debug before i begun. I overwrote the 3 files in TB with Indirect's, and select app+data restore. In settings, all fields (owner, account, version) says unavailable.

ckevinwelch

Feb 17, 2011
It worked for me, however I had already changed DeviceManager.apk to DeviceManager.apk.bak, if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I500

skyward01

Dec 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I froze the file. I don't actually use any B and N services so this should work aswell, correct? With it frozen is says software version unavailable.

Sent from my rooted Nook Tablet.

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
First off, thanks Indirect.

For those of you having trouble, I'll answer a few of the repeat questions. The application of the patched files happens almost immediately upon issuing the "Restore" command. I went to "Settings > Device Info > About Your NOOK®" and "Software version 9.9.9" was displayed. One of the problems currently is that the "USB Debugging" is not a persistent setting and must be rechecked after opening tgps_launcher again. Also, I get the "Warning - System Configuration: Your system settings may cause problems... ...tick the "USB debugging" checkbox." message upon opening Titanium Backup without a reboot and reset of that setting. Annoying to say the least but its what we have for the moment and will do. YMMV

On a side note, before I replace any files with files of the same name, I modify the original files by adding ".orig" to the tail end of each files' name. Yes, ignore the dire warning about changing a file extension. I started doing this years ago while working in UNIX since changes can sometimes go awry and terrible things happen. Almost always easier to rename an original file vice reinstalling an entire OS. Just my 2¢.

Last edited:

tonyp22

Nov 20, 2011
On a side note, before I replace any files with files of the same name, I modify the original files by adding ".orig" to the tail end of each files' name.

RegLinUsr, for this case could you list out the full path and file name for each file affected? I plan to do this as well. If 1.4.2 really does put things back they way they were, this will be an easy way to get back to normal and have that upgrade accepted.

johninsf

Thanks Indirect! Really appreciate your hard work and look for a donation from me.

I am sure you will let us know when this is in your script but I plan to restore 1.4.0 tonight then root with your steps.

If you happen to update by then, I will let you know how it goes.

You rock.

UPDATE:

It worked! Initially, I restored before rebooting and firmware showed unavailable. I rebooted, it showed 1.4.0, was concerned but then restored 2.3.4.apk and got 9.9.9! Good stuff Indirect.

Last edited:

RegLinUsr

Dec 2, 2007
SoCal
RegLinUsr, for this case could you list out the full path and file name for each file affected? I plan to do this as well. If 1.4.2 really does put things back they way they were, this will be an easy way to get back to normal and have that upgrade accepted.

I did not modify the files on the Nook Tablet, it was the backup files that I modified. You could modify the files on the NT if desired but not really necessary since we backed them up with Titanium Backup already.

When you look inside the Titanium Backup folder on your SDCard, the files are named exactly as the files from Indirect's zip:

• com.bn.devicemanager-1351fc675dac5f1a461a09b769b1b4b6.apk.gz,
  • com.bn.devicemanager-20111222-085657.properties
  • com.bn.devicemanager-20111222-085657.tar.gz.
I now have Indirect's files listed above on my SDCard in the Titanium Backup folder along with the original files which are currently renamed as:

• com.bn.devicemanager1351fc675dac5f1a461a09b769b1b4b6.apk.gz.ORIG
  • com.bn.devicemanager-20111222-085657.properties.ORIG
  • com.bn.devicemanager-20111222-085657.tar.gz.ORIG
I do this all the time no matter what OS I'm working on... it has been quite useful at times. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

tonyp22

Nov 20, 2011
Another successful 9.9.9. Thanks Indirect. I'm back on the air with the NT. I guess we'll see what happens to everyone else.

dermotti

Jul 20, 2010
Thx to the poster above a few posts. Disabling and re-enabling debugging allow me to get 9.9.9 installed properly.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

residentorca

Jan 24, 2011
Seattle
Moto G Play
I previously froze devicemanager and forgot to thaw before overwriting the backup files with Indirect's. Result was "unavailable". Unfroze devicemanager and restored earlier version. Result was "999".

2nd round of beer coming your way Indirect. At the rate you are making such significant contributions to the forum, you'll be drunk in no time! Thanks for saving us from so much stress, man.

zmobie

Nov 30, 2011
My software version is 1.0.0, not 1.4.0. Anyone else? (I haven't applied the stuff in the OP yet).

I did a factory reset, so it sounds like that version and the version it shipped with are/were different (possibly accounting for battery life issues I had).

edit: Anyway, thanks for the modified device manager!

Last edited:

phon00b

Aug 21, 2011
I've got ver 1.0.0 as well. Hopefully we'll still be fine.

A couple of notes:
-I had five files appear for me when I unzipped "Unzipme".
com.bn.devicemanager-1351fc675dac5f1a461a09b769b1b4b6.apk
com.bn.devicemanager-20111223-025318.properties
com.bn.devicemanager-20111223-025318.tar
com.bn.devicemanager-20111223-051905.properties
com.bn.devicemanager-20111223-051905.tar

- I added the files to my titanium backup folder via USB. When I opened TB, it wasn't seeing the backup file I had just added. So I went to take a look at the files via Root Explorer and somehow, a few of the files, including the APK, had somehow gained the extension ".gz". So I just used rename to remove that extension.

- Now able to use the backup, it turns out there were TWO backups available to me. Both were dated the 22nd, but the times were 6:53pm and 9:19pm. I figured this was just a missed step in deleting the older file from the zip, so I used the 9:19pm version.

UPDATE:
-Rebooting returned me to 1.4.0

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mine only says "Unavailable" because I skipped out of box experience and didnt register to test this. :| yours will still have your email and everything linked so dont worry!

Alright, I'm going to start off with saying that what this does is turn off FOTA for you by modifying data for devicemanager. How do you do it?

Well, let's begin.

12/22/11: New tweaks, FOTA checkin timer = 0 (no checks anymore), Build key difference, FOTA mode = disabled and a few other FOTA tweaks.

First: Download the files unzip them, and put all 3 into the TitaniumBackup folder on your sdcard (you need to download Titanium backup from market for this just FYI).

Then start titanium backup, grant root if you havent already and restore "DeviceManagerService 2.3.4" and then poof! You have now blocked OTA's. :) I'll actually try and make this happen in my script so new people can do it but you can tell if it worked by going into settings>about my nook>Version Number:9.9.9

Download link?:
    here

FAQ
    Will this stop me from buying anything from B&N?
    NO! You will keep everything and the ability to buy. This does nothing to the services aside from makes a few minor SQL tweaks that affect the devices ability to OTA.
    Can this break my device?
    No! This process actually holds no risk. It should always work no matter what and since we caught it early on, we can prevent further updates that can fix this.
    Are you awesome Indirect?
    Yes, yes I am. Now enjoy all the crap I released for you guys :)

IMG_20111222_043237.jpg

Spoof.png
    This is the sqlite method just provides you with files to download and install...this really isn't that complicated. -.- versus having to actually modify the SQL on the device, its already done for you. Just trust it works, install, and ignore everyone *****ing about updates. Now I'm going back to bed before someone crosses me by asking a stupid question.

Sent by breaking the sound barrier
    Made even more tweaks this time. FOTA checkin is now updated to 0 (0 means not at all) and a few other things. Updated link in OP.
    Can anyone Please post the original files that were modified did the restore and forgot to save the originals...

Ditto that request.

Thanks!

I have attached the original B&N Nook Tablet Device Manager files that Indirect's files in the OP replaced.

I would like to suggest my earlier thread here which helps alleviate this type of issue.