FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Edited 30/1/2012: My GPS 100% fixed (21/4/11 PICS ADDED)

1,509 posts
Thanks Meter: 450

By sxi200, Senior Member on 20th April 2011, 11:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st April 2011, 02:31 PM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
In my case finger pressure didnt do anything but a small ball of Blu-Tack and closing the lid gave me the result I was hopeing. Using Blu-Tack also allows you to control the area covered and amount of pressure by adjusting the amount of Blu-Tack you put on.

21st April 2011, 03:01 PM |#102  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan

Did the tests work from base as in GPS data cleared and WiFi Off .
Or are the tests using the data already on the phone .

jje

Hi JJ. Good to see you here! Just deleted GPS data using sgs toolbox. Wifi was already off. Started navigon and by the time it opened GPS was already locked on. Opened GPS test and 10 sats were locked on.

Any lock was practically impossible over the last 2 months or so.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App
21st April 2011, 03:05 PM |#103  
Here, there, everywhere
Thanks Meter: 2,311

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shvedski

I`m seriously impressed. Tested on Sygic Aura, iGo and CoPilot and they localyze me immediatly !!!! THANKS A LOT !!!!!

Finnaly somebody is testing it differently, with more reliable apps.....but...

You are almost there.....At least you are not using only those kind of gps tools like Gps status or gps test app, that lately are starting to get "fooled" by the latest Samsung firmwares like it happens in many HTC devices but gladly not as good as...

But your testing method is still not efficient enough...Is not how fast Aura Sygic is locating you ( eventhough for those who didn even have that before, it is already an improvement), but how Aura is behaving during a trip, in movement and dealing with different environmental conditions on different positions...

For a stable navigation using reliable Nav software such as iGo, you need a real stable satellite fix, when at least 4 of the "in use" satellites have snr values around 40 or better...

I can understand the joy that some users are having for the fact that they are finally getting more satelitte views and locks with apps such as Gps test just as my sgs is doing without any fix, trick or G-spot technic .

But making such a fuss and claiming that the gps is working 100% based only on such simple tests ( you need at least to perform one long road trip, running a good car nav program like iGo or Co-Pilot) is not really correct...

But then again...this is no Gps forum, and if most users are happy only by playing with gps test app and alike and checkin how many sats its viewing and locking in, and dont really need gps or dont use it on a daily basis to drive from point A to point B or for their work so let's celebrate

In my case, i will try to find the G-Spot in order to improve the snr values even more, eventhough I think I have one of those SGSes that come already stimulated enough out of the box

¬«]
21st April 2011, 03:14 PM |#104  
Thanks Meter: 152

More
Using GPS test, I was getting no sats and no locks, after trying this I'm getting 12 sats and 12 locks, Nav wasnt working for me at all, after trying this it's now showing my location, I will try it out on the road later this week.

Ill say this.... I actually get a location now at least, whereas before it wouldn't even show my location.

I'll repost here after my road test.

Thanks for the fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to DT3CH For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DT3CH Ad-Free
21st April 2011, 03:17 PM |#105  
OP Senior Member
Flag Melbourne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by betoNL

Finnaly somebody is testing it differently, with more reliable apps.....but...

You are almost there.....At least you are not using only those kind of gps tools like Gps status or gps test app, that lately are starting to get "fooled" by the latest Samsung firmwares like it happens in many HTC devices but gladly not as good as...

But your testing method is still not efficient enough...Is not how fast Aura Sygic is locating you ( eventhough for those who didn even have that before, it is already an improvement), but how Aura is behaving during a trip, in movement and dealing with different environmental conditions on different positions...

For a stable navigation using reliable Nav software such as iGo, you need a real stable satellite fix, when at least 4 of the "in use" satellites have snr values around 40 or better...

I can understand the joy that some users are having for the fact that they are finally getting more satelitte views and locks with apps such as Gps test just as my sgs is doing without any fix, trick or G-spot technic .

But making such a fuss and claiming that the gps is working 100% based only on such simple tests ( you need at least to perform one long road trip, running a good car nav program like iGo or Co-Pilot) is not really correct...

But then again...this is no Gps forum, and if most users are happy only by playing with gps test app and alike and checkin how many sats its viewing and locking in, and dont really need gps or dont use it on a daily basis to drive from point A to point B or for their work so let's celebrate

In my case, i will try to find the G-Spot in order to improve the snr values even more, eventhough I think I have one of those SGSes that come already stimulated enough out of the box

¬«]

You are correct to a point.

GPS test is only an indicator for me. The real test is while driving. And it works perfectly with Navigon with over an hour use including inner city and open air driving. Tracking is excellent with no noticable jumping around.

Also, this fix is for those like me who could not get a fix at all no matter what. Not for those whose GPS already works ("stimulated") out of the box, even though mine did when I first got it.

If you already get a lock then this fix is useless.

For me at least GPS is fixed 100%. Maybe not military type accuracy but for navigating its A1.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App
21st April 2011, 05:39 PM |#106  
Thanks Meter: 5,997

More
Interesting little test in aid of research and development only.

Phone does not have a GP problem and locks on quickly to between 5 and 10 satellites .
Tested with 7 locked on sats average SNR 39 .
Pressed in as per instructions = immediate SNR drop to average 29 release and back to SNR 39 .

jje
21st April 2011, 06:05 PM |#107  

More
for those who are having no or limited sucess I would like to add that it really is about fing the sweet spot, some get it first time some dont. on my first test with blu-tack it worked bang on, removed it and put it back on.....got nothing, had to do several attempts before i got it back working again
21st April 2011, 06:08 PM |#108  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzaviation

for those who are having no or limited sucess I would like to add that it really is about fing the sweet spot, some get it first time some dont. on my first test with blu-tack it worked bang on, removed it and put it back on.....got nothing, had to do several attempts before i got it back working again

Second that! The G-spot is very tiny, maybe 3x3mm, pressing outside makes things worse

Swyped from another GALAXY
21st April 2011, 07:41 PM |#109  
Thanks Meter: 5

Donate to Me
More
It does not improve anything when i press the antenna at the top with my finger.
I tried it many times at several places - but no effect at all.
21st April 2011, 08:32 PM |#110  
Flag Helsinki

More
Vibrant stuff that has been there forever
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=878970
This was posted last december on the vibrant general forum. Maybe bad gps wasn't so big problem for people because they didn't search for the answer...
Still it seems xda could use some sort of cross forum sticky threading.
Anyway great job helping people out with their gps problems.
21st April 2011, 09:14 PM |#111  
Here, there, everywhere
Thanks Meter: 2,311

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pempu

This was posted last december on the vibrant general forum. Maybe bad gps wasn't so big problem for people because they didn't search for the answer...
Still it seems xda could use some sort of cross forum sticky threading.
Anyway great job helping people out with their gps problems.

C'mon ....You want to compare this subtile "G-Spot duck tape" method with ALL that trouble?

Of course that hardware fix , and other hardware fixes , plus hundreds of theoretical gps fixes, were tried before (gladly not by me), but this is a bit different,,,

And dont get me wrong, I dont use it, my sgs works better without duck tape....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)