[SM-G9750] Random root reboot fix (Snapdragon S10 & S10e probably, too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

qwerty12

Jan 21, 2005
(*Europe).London
WARNING: This won't work currently for the SM-G9730. I need a recovery.img(.lz4) from the latest firmware.

Here's a not-so-widely-tested fix for the spontaneous reboot that occurs after rooting the SM-G9750 and other Snapdragon S10 models.

tulth located this patch. If you read the description of that patch, it mentions a NULL pointer getting dereferenced in find_get_entry (such a thing tends to cause crashes in your average program, so when this happens in the kernel, it's not surprising that a crash and reset is the response). If you look at tulth's last_kmsg, my last_kmsg and G-ThGraf's last_kmsg from a G9730, you'll notice they all have one thing in common: SHTF at smaps_pte_range+0x29c. What's at that location on those devices' kernel? Why it's only find_get_entry(vma->vm_file. So yeah, it's the same bug, already known to Google and it's been fixed in their kernel tree since January. The bug is triggered externally by reading /proc/<pid>/smaps_rollup under certain conditions. You might be able to workaround this by disabling programs to get more free RAM, but The Only Way To Fix the Underlying Kernel Bug Is To Fix the Kernel Itself™.

We're probably not going to see a new kernel update until (if?) we get an update for the next major version of Android. We Snapdragon S10* users already have an older kernel compared to Exynos S10 owners (our 4.14.78 vs. their 4.14.85) and it's probably because of that they don't see this bug. So I think the idea of Samsung fixing this is a non-starter. While I did manage to build an SM-G9750 kernel from source (their instructions leave a lot to be desired) with that patch applied, I could not get my phone to boot the result.

I am not a programmer, but I do know just slightly enough to get the ball rolling and provide the fix that that aforementioned patch does in the opcode form that can be applied onto the existing kernel on the phone.
While I've not half-arsed it in the sense I took the easy way out (always having mss->check_shmem_swap set to zero is an easy one-liner workaround; however, freeing of unneeded SHM pages wouldn't happen, eventually causing your phone to crawl to a halt), I am not familiar with assembly language for any platform at all and, as such, I could not find a way to free up enough space in the show_smap function. So I jump quite far out into a chunk of the .text section where it's full of zeroes. I don't know anything about the ELF format to be able to tell you why this section of zeroes exists - I make the probably-wrong assumption it's perhaps a requirement of the ELF format if a linker that's very good at producing optimised code still bothers to output that or it's optimisation by alignment - but it's there and it's a good place to add extra code to on account of, you know, being empty and marked executable.
As far as I can see, where I have placed the code isn't referenced by anything else at all in the kernel but I can't be 100% certain on that. Nevertheless, I've been testing this on and off (I've had to manually initiate reboots in between for various reasons) myself for the past seven days or so and I've not noticed any adverse effects.
EDIT: Saying that, I think I'll try and move the code into load_module() when I get time because this kernel can't actually load modules (see below) thus much of the code there is pointless.
The risk is yours, should you choose to apply this fix.

I would've liked to wrote this as a kernel module, being far easier to maintain, and hooked the relevant smap functions (in a similar vein to flar2's wp_mod and AleksJ's ric_mod) but thanks to the geniuses at Samsung, load_module() will always return early and the compiler accordingly realises it can optimise the function by excising all the code needed to actually load a module - there's no point in keeping unreachable code. Why Samsung bothered turning on mandatory module signing is beyond me because modules will never load! You can see this for yourself: insmod /system/vendor/lib/modules/wil6210.ko will always fail with "Exec format error", and that's a signed module built and shipped by Samsung themselves for their kernel. Anyway.

As long as the kernel version remains the same, it's likely, but not guaranteed, the same patches will work for future software updates from Samsung and all I'll have to do is update the compatibility list. If you try this on any other kernel version, the chances of not being able to boot are very high. The task of maintaining this doesn't enthuse me, but I'll continue to do so out of necessity, for I like having a rooted phone but not one that restarts at the worst of times.

Screenshot_20190731-125642_Termux.jpg
I know people have reported longer uptimes than that on their phone before having a forced restart, but in my case, my phone has AOD enabled, the latest stable Magisk version installed and is running EdXposed. Before this fix, I've never seen an uptime longer than about 16 hours (usually less), regardless of whether the phone was in use or not, as getting multiple restarts in a day tends to have that effect.

As long as you only write to the recovery partition (and that's the only block device that this guide tells you to write to ;)), you should always be able to use Odin to reflash it to reverse this, the process being somewhat similar to flashing Magisk in the first place but with the notable exception of not needing to factory reset anything. The following flashing routine was adapted from Magisk, so my thanks to topjohnwu.
If someone has the bright idea of sharing their already-patched recovery.img because typing copy and pasting commands is hard, I'll point out the following: anybody flashing such an image should really make sure they're running the same firmware and Magisk version the image was designed for. (And after reading ianmacd's posts, topjohnwu supposedly doesn't like pre-patched images with Magisk being shared. I'll respect that, and so should you.)

I won't take any responsibility if this damages your phone. Perform the following at your own risk. If you agree, then:

1. If you haven't already, root the phone with Magisk. Make sure to keep a copy of the magisk_patched.tar somewhere on your computer so you can reflash it with ODIN if something goes wrong here. Always make sure Magisk is installed before modifying the recovery partition yourself. If you have a pending software update, install that with Odin and root that first before doing the following.
  2. Set up ADB on your phone and computer
  3. From your computer, adb shell into the phone
  4. Run
    Code:
    uname -r
    Only attempt to apply these patches if you get 4.14.78-16509050 back. For an older version, the bottom of this post has previous patches that may or may not apply. Or just update your phone.
  5. Run
    Code:
    su
    and then
    Code:
    rm -rf /data/local/tmp/q12kpwrk ; mkdir /data/local/tmp/q12kpwrk && cd /data/local/tmp/q12kpwrk
  6. Run
    Code:
    mkdir recovery && cd recovery
  7. Find the recovery partition on your phone by running:
    Code:
    recovery_blk="`readlink -f /dev/block/by-name/recovery`" ; [ -b "$recovery_blk" ] || echo "Eh, something's off here. Don't continue"
  8. Dump it to a file by running:
    Code:
    dd if="$recovery_blk" of=recovery.img
  9. Extract the kernel by running:
    Code:
    /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot unpack recovery.img || echo "Stop! Do not continue!"
    If you see the warning message again on a new line, then stop.
    Otherwise, if all went well with the step above (the message "Kernel is uncompressed or not a supported compressed type!" can be safely disregarded), then note that for any of these patches, if you don't get any matches or get more than one, then do not continue any further. Don't selectively apply any of these patches; it's all or nothing.
  10. Apply the first patch by running:
    Code:
    /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel F7030032895240F9F64F00F9 F7030032FD10F997F64F00F9
  11. Run
    Code:
    /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel 02000014C02E00F9E1630191 02000014ED10F997E1630191
  12. If you have an SM-G9750/Snapdragon S10+: run
    Code:
    /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel F30300AAA1010035F40313AA750640F9890E41F83F7500F103010054AA02098BC10501B0407100D121B83191 F30300AA0D000014895240F9DF420239C0035FD600000000D22E40F94E02008BCE2E00F9C0035FD621B83191
    OR if you have an SM-G9730/Snapdragon S10: there is currently no patch. Feel free to send me a recovery.img from the latest firmware and I'll adapt it
    OR if you have an SM-G9700/Snapdragon S10e (thanks to Laikar_ for the recovery.img and testing): run
    Code:
    /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel F30300AAA1010035F40313AA750640F9890E41F83F7500F103010054AA02098BA10501D0407100D121B81D91 F30300AA0D000014895240F9DF420239C0035FD600000000D22E40F94E02008BCE2E00F9C0035FD621B81D91
  13. Have the patched kernel placed into a new recovery image, new-boot.img, by running:
    Code:
    /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot repack recovery.img || echo "Stop! Do not continue!"
  14. Check to see if new-boot.img isn't somehow larger than the recovery partition itself by running
    Code:
    [ `stat -c '%s' "new-boot.img"` -gt `blockdev --getsize64 "$recovery_blk"` ] && echo "Do not continue!"
  15. Flash the new recovery image by running
    Code:
    cat new-boot.img /dev/zero >"$recovery_blk" 2>/dev/null
  16. Run
    Code:
    sync ; sync ; sync ; reboot recovery

If the phone boots again, great! If you're stuck at the Samsung-only logo that fades in and out for many minutes, just restart the phone again whilst holding the recovery button combo to boot into Android with Magisk activated like normal.
You can rm -rf the /data/local/tmp/q12kpwrk folder afterwards to get some space back.
If your phone keeps restarting, or you automatically get put into semi-bootloader flashing mode, hold the bootloader button combo to get to the blue-background downloading mode and reflash magisk_patched.tar (and HOME_CSC) with Odin. If you didn't keep said file or a Magisk-patched recovery.img you can tar up with 7-Zip and get Odin to flash as AP, you'll need to download the latest firmware for your SM-G9750 with Frija or similar, reflash that and then follow the instructions to root your phone again with Magisk.

If you do get a reboot after applying this, looking at /proc/last_kmsg will indicate if it's something to do with this patch or something else entirely.

Q&A:

Q: Will I have to reapply this if I update Magisk from Magisk Manager with a direct install?
A: No.

Q: Will I have to reapply this if I update the phone's firmware?
A: Yes, but check the new kernel's version first and see if it's listed in the compatibility section. If not, then you'll need to wait for an update to this fix. And remember to make sure that Magisk is installed first before modifying the recovery partition yourself.

Q: I don't want to wait hours to see if my phone will restart out of the blue. How can I test for this bug?
A: A variation on the steps to reproduce here, you can do this:
Code:
su
dd if=/data/media/0/AP_G9750ZHU1ASF1_CL16082828_QB24224470_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT_meta_OS9.tar.md5 of=/dev/shm # or any very large file (3-4 GB, /dev/urandom might work). This fills up the allocated space for shared memory
cat /proc/*/smaps_rollup

If your kernel isn't patched, restart your phone certainly does. (Of course, you should probably run reboot recovery anyway if not because a full SHM isn't really conducive to a well-running Android session.)

Q: Do you have any other kernel patches?
A: Just the one, only tested on the SM-G9750, and it seems to not be needed at all - it has no bearing on this specific reboot issue anyway. This one disables one aspect of RKP. Again, I don't think this is actually needed on the S10+ , but Magisk still attempts to patch for this issue indiscriminately (probably for the benefit of older devices), although its patch will not apply to our kernel.
Code:
/data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel 1FA50F7143010054491540B93FA50F71E30000544B0940B97FA50F71830000544A1940B95FA10F7168090054 1FA10F71810A0054491540B93FA10F71200A00544B0940B97FA10F71C00900544A1940B95FA10F7161090054

Q: Are you a dirty GPL violator, qwerty12?
A: No! What I am providing is the compiled form of the patch linked to in the beginning of this thread. If you want to understand what this does in lovely C, just look at that patch. Of course, I have to deal with this on the assembler level, so there is no source per se, just dump all the hex strings into an online disassembler. The first two magiskboot hexpatch invocations replace two existing instructions with jumps into the new code I add. The third hexpatch invocation adds the additional code implementing the patch - the original replaced instruction is executed, along with the code I added to set mss->check_shmem_swap to zero before vma->vm_file is checked for != NULL and for shmem_swapped to be added to mss->swap instead of replacing it.

Patches for older kernels:

4.14.78-16082828:
  • Use Magisk Manager to install the Busybox Magisk module. No, this is not optional. You can use a version of Busybox from another source, but note that this is the version I have personally tested all this with. Restart your phone anyway if you already have it installed; you want your phone's running state to be as fresh as possible to avoid the possibility of running into this bug while attempting to fix it.
  • Code:
    /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel F7030032895240F9F64F00F9 F70300327ED15494F64F00F9
  • Code:
    /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel 02000014C02E00F9E1630191 020000146ED15494E1630191
  • Code:
    printf '\x89\x52\x40\xF9\xDF\x42\x02\x39\xC0\x03\x5F\xD6\x00\x00\x00\x00\xD2\x2E\x40\xF9\x4E\x02\x00\x8B\xCE\x2E\x00\xF9\xC0\x03\x5F\xD6' | busybox dd of=kernel bs=1 seek="$((0x017F9AAC + 20))" conv=notrunc
    The magiskboot hexpatch equivalent of this was too large, so I settled for writing to a hard coded offset.

Last edited:

qwerty12

Jan 21, 2005
(*Europe).London
Hi,

So.... i have to wait if random reboot appear right ? *to test*

You can run the commands under "Q: I don't want to wait hours to see if my phone will restart out of the blue. How can I test for this bug?" in the first post. If your phone restarts automatically when running cat, then your phone is still susceptible to restarting itself during use.

If it doesn't restart, then you need to run reboot recovery yourself immediately, but it means the fix was successfully applied.

Last edited:
Reactions: redplate and Vuska

N1ldo

Nov 1, 2011
Marinha Grande / Leiria
PS D:\S10+\ADB platform-tools> ./adb devices
List of devices attached
R28M31K3DNZ device

PS D:\S10+\ADB platform-tools> ./adb shell
beyond2q:/ $ su
Permission denied
1|beyond2q:/ $

?????

Last edited:

Vuska

PS D:\S10+\ADB platform-tools> ./adb devices
List of devices attached
R28M31K3DNZ device

PS D:\S10+\ADB platform-tools> ./adb shell
beyond2q:/ $ su
Permission denied
1|beyond2q:/ $

?????
do you already install busybox via magisk ? also there will be a pop up in your device to request access from computer. accept it

already enable usb debugging in developer menu ?

permission denied .... [emoji848] .. strange... already rooted right ?

Sent from my SM-G9750 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

N1ldo

Nov 1, 2011
Marinha Grande / Leiria
do you already install busybox via magisk ? also there will be a pop up in your device to request access from computer. accept it

already enable usb debugging in developer menu ?

permission denied .... [emoji848] .. strange... already rooted right ?

Yes.
As you can see in the prints below.
i try install another busybox to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190802-110715_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190802-110715_Settings.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 399

Laikar_

Jan 17, 2019
Barcelona
I can provide a recovery.img from s10e (smg9700), also any way i can contact you for some help about building the kernel? I have been trying to do with s10e's one and i'm not having much success

qwerty12

Jan 21, 2005
(*Europe).London
*ASG7 firmware is out

s ASG7 can use this patches ?

I'll download the update later and give it a once-over; however, I'll quote myself:

As long as the kernel version remains the same, it's likely, but not guaranteed, the same patches will work for future software updates from Samsung and all I'll have to do is update the compatibility list.

I can provide a recovery.img from s10e (smg9700), also any way i can contact you for some help about building the kernel? I have been trying to do with s10e's one and i'm not having much success

That would be appreciated, thanks. I can move the S10e into the "Patch not tested" section of the compatibility list.

I wish you'd have asked me this a few days ago, I deleted the kernel tree I had on my disk because I thought a new source ZIP from Samsung would be forthcoming for the new firmware. I'd've just attached a diff...

I did get the kernel to build but I could not get the result to boot. Some of the compiler warnings displayed during build didn't make it seem like I was going to get a working kernel image. I'll get back to you soon with some steps

Laikar_

Jan 17, 2019
Barcelona
That would be appreciated, thanks. I can move the S10e into the "Patch not tested" section of the compatibility list.

I wish you'd have asked me this a few days ago, I deleted the kernel tree I had on my disk because I thought a new source ZIP from Samsung would be forthcoming for the new firmware. I'd've just attached a diff...

I did get the kernel to build but I could not get the result to boot. Some of the compiler warnings displayed during build didn't make it seem like I was going to get a working kernel image. I'll get back to you soon with some steps

I can't post links yet, tinyurl(dot)com/y537462u for the drive download link

Reactions: qwerty12

qwerty12

Jan 21, 2005
(*Europe).London
Does EdXposed work for G9750?

Yes.

Good call; there's now code at 0x017F9AAC + 20, probably not a good idea to overwrite that...

I was hoping the newer build date might have meant that Samsung applied the patch, meaning I could abandon this thread, but no such luck: I did the quick writing to /dev/shm test and my phone kernel panicked. Lovely.

I've updated the first thread with an updated patch. I followed through with my plan of moving my extra code into load_module() instead of the empty section of zeros as, thanks to Samsung's kernel developers' ineptness, that function will always fail - may as well make it early return and then use the extra space gained to store my code in.

I can't post links yet, tinyurl(dot)com/y537462u for the drive download link

Thanks for the S10e recovery image, Laikar_. I've checked the recovery image's kernel and moved the S10e into the "Patch not tested" section. I'll write up some steps soon on building a kernel that won't boot

Anyway,

The S10 and S10e recovery images are not from ASG7, however, so I don't know if my newer patch applies to it but my old ones do. I think my newer one will do, too, but that's an educated guess.
Just like with the S10, anybody's welcome to try this on their S10e and let me know of the result. ;)

Last edited:

Vuska

Yes.

Good call; there's now code at 0x017F9AAC + 20, probably not a good idea to overwrite that...

I was hoping the newer build date might have meant that Samsung applied the patch, meaning I could abandon this thread, but no such luck: I did the quick writing to /dev/shm test and my phone kernel panicked. Lovely.

I've updated the first thread with an updated patch. I followed through with my plan of moving my extra code into load_module() instead of the empty section of zeros as, thanks to Samsung's brainiac developers, that function will always fail - may as well make it early return and then use the extra space gained to store my code in.

Thanks for the S10e recovery image, Laikar_. I've checked the recovery image's kernel and moved the S10e into the "Patch not tested" section. I'll write up some steps soon on building a kernel that won't boot

Anyway,

The S10 and S10e recovery images are not from ASG7, however, so I don't know if my newer patch applies to it but my old ones do. I think my newer one will do, too, but that's an educated guess.
Just like with the S10, anybody's welcome to try this on their S10e and let me know of the result. ;)
so the first post already update to 050 kernel right ?
mean after i updated my s10+ magisk etc.. i can do that all steps right ?

cool...

still not yet finished my download since yesterday... my internet down.. [emoji2357]

Reactions: qwerty12

qwerty12

Jan 21, 2005
(*Europe).London
so the first post already update to 050 kernel right ?
mean after i updated my s10+ magisk etc.. i can do that all steps right ?

Yep, the first post is updated for ASG7. Those steps are working on my SM-G9750 running it, anyway :)

[...]any way i can contact you for some help about building the kernel? I have been trying to do with s10e's one and i'm not having much success

I'll mention again that I couldn't get the result to boot. If you work it out, please let me know. I hate loading kernel images into a disassembler :(

I did this on a Ubuntu 18.04.2 minimal installation. I figure that if you want to build a kernel then you, like me, have at least a working familiarity with GNU/Linux, so I won't go too in-depth.

First, install the packages needed to build:
Code:
sudo apt install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip zlib1g-dev libxml2-utils xsltproc unzip python bc libssl-dev

Download the toolchain mentioned in README_kernel.txt:
Code:
git clone --depth=1 https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/aarch64/aarch64-linux-android-4.9

Download Snapdragon LLVM Compiler for Android v6.0.9 - Linux64 from https://developer.qualcomm.com/software/snapdragon-llvm-compiler-android/tools and untar it somewhere on your system. (This isn't actually the exact compiler Samsung use - if you look at /proc/version on your phone, you'll see it says 6.0.10 - but this is the closest we mere mortals will get.)

Download the source code zip from Samsung and untar Kernel.tar.gz into a newly-created folder. Inside said folder, run chmod 644 Makefile ; chmod 755 build_kernel.sh.

Open build_kernel.sh in your favourite editor. Make the following changes:

Set BUILD_CROSS_COMPILE to the folder where aarch64-linux-android-gcc, aarch64-linux-android-ld etc. are after cloning from git. Make sure to leave the aarch64-linux-android- suffix at the end. For me, this line looks like this:
Code:
BUILD_CROSS_COMPILE=/home/fp/x/aarch64-linux-android-4.9/bin/aarch64-linux-android-

KERNEL_LLVM_BIN needs to be set to the location of the Clang binary downloaded from Qualcomm. For me, this line looks like this:
Code:
KERNEL_LLVM_BIN=/home/fp/x/93270/toolchains/llvm-Snapdragon_LLVM_for_Android_6.0/prebuilt/linux-x86_64/bin/clang

After both REAL_CC=$KERNEL_LLVM_BIN instances add
Code:
CFP_CC=$KERNEL_LLVM_BIN
(although I think this is the wrong way to do it, consider just disabling CONFIG_RKP_CFP)

Open the Makefile in your favourite editor. Find the following line

Code:
	@echo Cannot use CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_$(stackp-name): \
		  $(stackp-flag) not supported by compiler >&2 && exit 1

Remove the "&& exit 1". The proper way to fix this would be to set CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG to n in the config file; however if you run clang --help, you'll see that -fstack-protector-strong is actually supported. Why turn off a useful security feature?

Run build_kernel.sh and the kernel should build (albeit with a metric crap-ton of warnings, which is just one reason why it's not surprising the resulting kernel won't boot)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: This won't work currently for the SM-G9730. I need a recovery.img(.lz4) from the latest firmware.

Here's a not-so-widely-tested fix for the spontaneous reboot that occurs after rooting the SM-G9750 and other Snapdragon S10 models.

tulth located this patch. If you read the description of that patch, it mentions a NULL pointer getting dereferenced in find_get_entry (such a thing tends to cause crashes in your average program, so when this happens in the kernel, it's not surprising that a crash and reset is the response). If you look at tulth's last_kmsg, my last_kmsg and G-ThGraf's last_kmsg from a G9730, you'll notice they all have one thing in common: SHTF at smaps_pte_range+0x29c. What's at that location on those devices' kernel? Why it's only find_get_entry(vma->vm_file. So yeah, it's the same bug, already known to Google and it's been fixed in their kernel tree since January. The bug is triggered externally by reading /proc/<pid>/smaps_rollup under certain conditions. You might be able to workaround this by disabling programs to get more free RAM, but The Only Way To Fix the Underlying Kernel Bug Is To Fix the Kernel Itself™.

We're probably not going to see a new kernel update until (if?) we get an update for the next major version of Android. We Snapdragon S10* users already have an older kernel compared to Exynos S10 owners (our 4.14.78 vs. their 4.14.85) and it's probably because of that they don't see this bug. So I think the idea of Samsung fixing this is a non-starter. While I did manage to build an SM-G9750 kernel from source (their instructions leave a lot to be desired) with that patch applied, I could not get my phone to boot the result.

I am not a programmer, but I do know just slightly enough to get the ball rolling and provide the fix that that aforementioned patch does in the opcode form that can be applied onto the existing kernel on the phone.
    While I've not half-arsed it in the sense I took the easy way out (always having mss->check_shmem_swap set to zero is an easy one-liner workaround; however, freeing of unneeded SHM pages wouldn't happen, eventually causing your phone to crawl to a halt), I am not familiar with assembly language for any platform at all and, as such, I could not find a way to free up enough space in the show_smap function. So I jump quite far out into a chunk of the .text section where it's full of zeroes. I don't know anything about the ELF format to be able to tell you why this section of zeroes exists - I make the probably-wrong assumption it's perhaps a requirement of the ELF format if a linker that's very good at producing optimised code still bothers to output that or it's optimisation by alignment - but it's there and it's a good place to add extra code to on account of, you know, being empty and marked executable.
    As far as I can see, where I have placed the code isn't referenced by anything else at all in the kernel but I can't be 100% certain on that. Nevertheless, I've been testing this on and off (I've had to manually initiate reboots in between for various reasons) myself for the past seven days or so and I've not noticed any adverse effects.
    EDIT: Saying that, I think I'll try and move the code into load_module() when I get time because this kernel can't actually load modules (see below) thus much of the code there is pointless.
    The risk is yours, should you choose to apply this fix.

I would've liked to wrote this as a kernel module, being far easier to maintain, and hooked the relevant smap functions (in a similar vein to flar2's wp_mod and AleksJ's ric_mod) but thanks to the geniuses at Samsung, load_module() will always return early and the compiler accordingly realises it can optimise the function by excising all the code needed to actually load a module - there's no point in keeping unreachable code. Why Samsung bothered turning on mandatory module signing is beyond me because modules will never load! You can see this for yourself: insmod /system/vendor/lib/modules/wil6210.ko will always fail with "Exec format error", and that's a signed module built and shipped by Samsung themselves for their kernel. Anyway.

As long as the kernel version remains the same, it's likely, but not guaranteed, the same patches will work for future software updates from Samsung and all I'll have to do is update the compatibility list. If you try this on any other kernel version, the chances of not being able to boot are very high. The task of maintaining this doesn't enthuse me, but I'll continue to do so out of necessity, for I like having a rooted phone but not one that restarts at the worst of times.

Screenshot_20190731-125642_Termux.jpg
    I know people have reported longer uptimes than that on their phone before having a forced restart, but in my case, my phone has AOD enabled, the latest stable Magisk version installed and is running EdXposed. Before this fix, I've never seen an uptime longer than about 16 hours (usually less), regardless of whether the phone was in use or not, as getting multiple restarts in a day tends to have that effect.

As long as you only write to the recovery partition (and that's the only block device that this guide tells you to write to ;)), you should always be able to use Odin to reflash it to reverse this, the process being somewhat similar to flashing Magisk in the first place but with the notable exception of not needing to factory reset anything. The following flashing routine was adapted from Magisk, so my thanks to topjohnwu.
    If someone has the bright idea of sharing their already-patched recovery.img because typing copy and pasting commands is hard, I'll point out the following: anybody flashing such an image should really make sure they're running the same firmware and Magisk version the image was designed for. (And after reading ianmacd's posts, topjohnwu supposedly doesn't like pre-patched images with Magisk being shared. I'll respect that, and so should you.)

I won't take any responsibility if this damages your phone. Perform the following at your own risk. If you agree, then:

1. If you haven't already, root the phone with Magisk. Make sure to keep a copy of the magisk_patched.tar somewhere on your computer so you can reflash it with ODIN if something goes wrong here. Always make sure Magisk is installed before modifying the recovery partition yourself. If you have a pending software update, install that with Odin and root that first before doing the following.
    2. Set up ADB on your phone and computer
    3. From your computer, adb shell into the phone
    4. Run
      Code:
      uname -r
      Only attempt to apply these patches if you get 4.14.78-16509050 back. For an older version, the bottom of this post has previous patches that may or may not apply. Or just update your phone.
    5. Run
      Code:
      su
      and then
      Code:
      rm -rf /data/local/tmp/q12kpwrk ; mkdir /data/local/tmp/q12kpwrk && cd /data/local/tmp/q12kpwrk
    6. Run
      Code:
      mkdir recovery && cd recovery
    7. Find the recovery partition on your phone by running:
      Code:
      recovery_blk="`readlink -f /dev/block/by-name/recovery`" ; [ -b "$recovery_blk" ] || echo "Eh, something's off here. Don't continue"
    8. Dump it to a file by running:
      Code:
      dd if="$recovery_blk" of=recovery.img
    9. Extract the kernel by running:
      Code:
      /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot unpack recovery.img || echo "Stop! Do not continue!"
      If you see the warning message again on a new line, then stop.
      Otherwise, if all went well with the step above (the message "Kernel is uncompressed or not a supported compressed type!" can be safely disregarded), then note that for any of these patches, if you don't get any matches or get more than one, then do not continue any further. Don't selectively apply any of these patches; it's all or nothing.
    10. Apply the first patch by running:
      Code:
      /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel F7030032895240F9F64F00F9 F7030032FD10F997F64F00F9
    11. Run
      Code:
      /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel 02000014C02E00F9E1630191 02000014ED10F997E1630191
    12. If you have an SM-G9750/Snapdragon S10+: run
      Code:
      /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel F30300AAA1010035F40313AA750640F9890E41F83F7500F103010054AA02098BC10501B0407100D121B83191 F30300AA0D000014895240F9DF420239C0035FD600000000D22E40F94E02008BCE2E00F9C0035FD621B83191
      OR if you have an SM-G9730/Snapdragon S10: there is currently no patch. Feel free to send me a recovery.img from the latest firmware and I'll adapt it
      OR if you have an SM-G9700/Snapdragon S10e (thanks to Laikar_ for the recovery.img and testing): run
      Code:
      /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel F30300AAA1010035F40313AA750640F9890E41F83F7500F103010054AA02098BA10501D0407100D121B81D91 F30300AA0D000014895240F9DF420239C0035FD600000000D22E40F94E02008BCE2E00F9C0035FD621B81D91
    13. Have the patched kernel placed into a new recovery image, new-boot.img, by running:
      Code:
      /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot repack recovery.img || echo "Stop! Do not continue!"
    14. Check to see if new-boot.img isn't somehow larger than the recovery partition itself by running
      Code:
      [ `stat -c '%s' "new-boot.img"` -gt `blockdev --getsize64 "$recovery_blk"` ] && echo "Do not continue!"
    15. Flash the new recovery image by running
      Code:
      cat new-boot.img /dev/zero >"$recovery_blk" 2>/dev/null
    16. Run
      Code:
      sync ; sync ; sync ; reboot recovery

If the phone boots again, great! If you're stuck at the Samsung-only logo that fades in and out for many minutes, just restart the phone again whilst holding the recovery button combo to boot into Android with Magisk activated like normal.
    You can rm -rf the /data/local/tmp/q12kpwrk folder afterwards to get some space back.
    If your phone keeps restarting, or you automatically get put into semi-bootloader flashing mode, hold the bootloader button combo to get to the blue-background downloading mode and reflash magisk_patched.tar (and HOME_CSC) with Odin. If you didn't keep said file or a Magisk-patched recovery.img you can tar up with 7-Zip and get Odin to flash as AP, you'll need to download the latest firmware for your SM-G9750 with Frija or similar, reflash that and then follow the instructions to root your phone again with Magisk.

If you do get a reboot after applying this, looking at /proc/last_kmsg will indicate if it's something to do with this patch or something else entirely.

Q&A:

Q: Will I have to reapply this if I update Magisk from Magisk Manager with a direct install?
    A: No.

Q: Will I have to reapply this if I update the phone's firmware?
    A: Yes, but check the new kernel's version first and see if it's listed in the compatibility section. If not, then you'll need to wait for an update to this fix. And remember to make sure that Magisk is installed first before modifying the recovery partition yourself.

Q: I don't want to wait hours to see if my phone will restart out of the blue. How can I test for this bug?
    A: A variation on the steps to reproduce here, you can do this:
    Code:
    su
    dd if=/data/media/0/AP_G9750ZHU1ASF1_CL16082828_QB24224470_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT_meta_OS9.tar.md5 of=/dev/shm # or any very large file (3-4 GB, /dev/urandom might work). This fills up the allocated space for shared memory
    cat /proc/*/smaps_rollup

If your kernel isn't patched, restart your phone certainly does. (Of course, you should probably run reboot recovery anyway if not because a full SHM isn't really conducive to a well-running Android session.)

Q: Do you have any other kernel patches?
    A: Just the one, only tested on the SM-G9750, and it seems to not be needed at all - it has no bearing on this specific reboot issue anyway. This one disables one aspect of RKP. Again, I don't think this is actually needed on the S10+ , but Magisk still attempts to patch for this issue indiscriminately (probably for the benefit of older devices), although its patch will not apply to our kernel.
    Code:
    /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel 1FA50F7143010054491540B93FA50F71E30000544B0940B97FA50F71830000544A1940B95FA10F7168090054 1FA10F71810A0054491540B93FA10F71200A00544B0940B97FA10F71C00900544A1940B95FA10F7161090054

Q: Are you a dirty GPL violator, qwerty12?
    A: No! What I am providing is the compiled form of the patch linked to in the beginning of this thread. If you want to understand what this does in lovely C, just look at that patch. Of course, I have to deal with this on the assembler level, so there is no source per se, just dump all the hex strings into an online disassembler. The first two magiskboot hexpatch invocations replace two existing instructions with jumps into the new code I add. The third hexpatch invocation adds the additional code implementing the patch - the original replaced instruction is executed, along with the code I added to set mss->check_shmem_swap to zero before vma->vm_file is checked for != NULL and for shmem_swapped to be added to mss->swap instead of replacing it.

Patches for older kernels:

4.14.78-16082828:
    • Use Magisk Manager to install the Busybox Magisk module. No, this is not optional. You can use a version of Busybox from another source, but note that this is the version I have personally tested all this with. Restart your phone anyway if you already have it installed; you want your phone's running state to be as fresh as possible to avoid the possibility of running into this bug while attempting to fix it.
    • Code:
      /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel F7030032895240F9F64F00F9 F70300327ED15494F64F00F9
    • Code:
      /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel 02000014C02E00F9E1630191 020000146ED15494E1630191
    • Code:
      printf '\x89\x52\x40\xF9\xDF\x42\x02\x39\xC0\x03\x5F\xD6\x00\x00\x00\x00\xD2\x2E\x40\xF9\x4E\x02\x00\x8B\xCE\x2E\x00\xF9\xC0\x03\x5F\xD6' | busybox dd of=kernel bs=1 seek="$((0x017F9AAC + 20))" conv=notrunc
      The magiskboot hexpatch equivalent of this was too large, so I settled for writing to a hard coded offset.
    *ASG7 firmware is out

s ASG7 can use this patches ?

I'll download the update later and give it a once-over; however, I'll quote myself:

As long as the kernel version remains the same, it's likely, but not guaranteed, the same patches will work for future software updates from Samsung and all I'll have to do is update the compatibility list.

I've been trying and got the same luck, so i guess we aren't getting twrp working any time soon.

Apparently, developers from a Chinese forum have done so; FlatOutRU has kindly uploaded it. I would be curious to know what toolchain they used... I think turning off Samsung's many anti-root protections in the kernel config might help, but I'm still waiting on the release of the latest source code ZIP from Samsung to test anything out.

Also, for the S10e (but not any of the other Snapdragon S10s), they have one separate ZIP for the HK models; the rest of their uploads (newer ones at that) are ZIPs for the mainland China version of their firmware. I'd like to compare the TGY and ZCU ZIPs to see if there's any changes to the code, or if the differences only lie in the kernel configs used.

Also recently updated my s10e and it comes with kernel version 4.14.78-16509050, would you mind checking if the patch is compatible? cause i get a bootloop when applying it.
    tinyurl(dot)com/y6xzw9vp

Yeah, well, I'm not surprised that your phone boot loops, as the last patch (which is the one that adds the extra code) doesn't apply to your kernel... ("[...] note that for any of these patches, if you don't get any matches or get more than one, then do not continue any further. Don't selectively apply any of these patches; it's all or nothing")

Run the following in lieu of the last (the first two patches apply fine to your kernel and are still needed) magiskboot hexpatch command in the first post (untested on an actual device):

Code:
    ../arm/magiskboot hexpatch kernel F30300AAA1010035F40313AA750640F9890E41F83F7500F103010054AA02098BA10501D0407100D121B81D91 F30300AA0D000014895240F9DF420239C0035FD600000000D22E40F94E02008BCE2E00F9C0035FD621B81D91

(I think the difference is one byte or two :rolleyes:)

Where's that thread? Lol

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=80068160&postcount=547

Plus I'm more interested In fixing random reboot.. I heard twrp doesn't work with tgy anyway

Oh, I guess you are in the right thread then (or you can try flashing that custom TWRP firmware. Hell if I know)
    @qwerty12
    Hi man, could you please calculate the patch for a s10 ?

Hi,

The first two patches from the first post of this thread remain the same and are still needed but for the third patch, you can try this instead (untested, my S10+ is still on ASG7):

Code:
    /data/adb/magisk/magiskboot hexpatch kernel F30300AAA1010035F40313AA750640F9890E41F83F7500F103010054AA02098BC1050190407100D121B81591 F30300AA0D000014895240F9DF420239C0035FD600000000D22E40F94E02008BCE2E00F9C0035FD621B81591
    Hi,

So.... i have to wait if random reboot appear right ? *to test*

You can run the commands under "Q: I don't want to wait hours to see if my phone will restart out of the blue. How can I test for this bug?" in the first post. If your phone restarts automatically when running cat, then your phone is still susceptible to restarting itself during use.

If it doesn't restart, then you need to run reboot recovery yourself immediately, but it means the fix was successfully applied.