[Q&A] Collection

Search This thread

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry I am not yet familiar with how to ask questions.

I recently bought a TF701T having used a TF700T now for two years and before that the TF101, TF201 and TF300T.
All these tabs I installed a recovery: CWM or TWRP and flashed the best ROM I could find. Usually Cyanomod or CROMi-X.

Everything worked fine so I was very excited when I got hold of the TF701T with its incredible Q-ratings and smoothness.

Unlocking worked just fine but installing CWM just does not work: flashing with Fastboot works OK but when I boot into recovery the little green man falls down and stays there :(

FYI: I am on the latest BL: 10.26.1.28, so newer than the mentioned 10.26.1.18 !

Please could anyone respond ?

Regards, JOTX10 from the Netherlands.

If you get the little green android man then you did not flash CWM. Post the command you are issue and the return codes.

JOTX10

Apr 15, 2012
Unable to flash CWM on TF701T w BL:10.26.1.28

If you get the little green android man then you did not flash CWM. Post the command you are issue and the return codes.

Hi sdbags,

Thnx for your quick respons.

I use Minimal ADB and Fastboot v 1.1.3 dated december 2013.
First I check the USB protocol with the command: "Fastboot devices" to which I get the respons: "15C40C1C40000000009FC0340" so I have a connection.

Then I issue the command: "Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" to which I get the responses:
target reported max download size of 643825664 bytes
sending 'recovery' <6682 KB>
OKAY [0.906s]
writing 'recovery' ...
OKAY [0.219s]
finished. total time: 1.125s

Then I issue the command: "Fastboot reboot -bootloader" which the response:
finished. total time: 0.016s
and the tab boots into Android

But the when I boot (Vol Down + Power) into recovery the little green man stands for a few seconds and then falls down.

So I would be much obliged if you can point where I go wrong ?

Regards, JOTX10 in the Netherlands

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi sdbags,

Thnx for your quick respons.

I use Minimal ADB and Fastboot v 1.1.3 dated december 2013.
First I check the USB protocol with the command: "Fastboot devices" to which I get the respons: "15C40C1C40000000009FC0340" so I have a connection.

Then I issue the command: "Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" to which I get the responses:
OKAY [0.906s]
writing 'recovery' ...
OKAY [0.219s]

Then I issue the command: "Fastboot reboot -bootloader" which the response:
finished. total time: 0.016s
and the tab boots into Android

But the when I boot (Vol Down + Power) into recovery the little green man stands for a few seconds and then falls down.

So I would be much obliged if you can point where I go wrong ?

Regards, JOTX10 in the Netherlands

This seems way too fast!

Code:
OKAY [0.906s]
writing 'recovery' ...
OKAY [0.219s]

It clearly hasn't flashed either as you have the stock android recovery - where is this recovery.img file from?

JOTX10

Apr 15, 2012
This seems way too fast!

Code:
OKAY [0.906s]
writing 'recovery' ...
OKAY [0.219s]

It clearly hasn't flashed either as you have the stock android recovery - where is this recovery.img file from?
---------------------------------------------------------
Hi sbdags,

I downloaded the recovery image through your: Flashable Root Method v2 on XDA which points to Droid Basement. That file is dated 04-jun-2014 size: 6842360.

I was not that amazed at the speed at which the fash occured because this is a TF701 with USB 3.0! But maybe this is where it / I went wrong. Which recovery image do you suggest in my case ?

BTW: I run ADB and Fastboot on an old Windows XP machine (with USB 1.0 ?) but could switch to an Apple Macintosh running OS X 5.1.1. (and USB 2.0) if that would be better. However trying to install Minimal ADB and Fastboot on the Apple I immediately ran into some problems because I am not that familiar with that operating system.

Regards,

JOTX10

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
---------------------------------------------------------
Hi sbdags,

I downloaded the recovery image through your: Flashable Root Method v2 on XDA which points to Droid Basement. That file is dated 04-jun-2014 size: 6842360.

I was not that amazed at the speed at which the fash occured because this is a TF701 with USB 3.0! But maybe this is where it / I went wrong. Which recovery image do you suggest in my case ?

BTW: I run ADB and Fastboot on an old Windows XP machine (with USB 1.0 ?) but could switch to an Apple Macintosh running OS X 5.1.1. (and USB 2.0) if that would be better. However trying to install Minimal ADB and Fastboot on the Apple I immediately ran into some problems because I am not that familiar with that operating system.

Regards,

JOTX10

I'm not sure - I will flash an updated version later and post my logs.

as bernd says make sure you are undocked at the time as well.

JOTX10

Apr 15, 2012
Rooting TF701T BL 10.26.1.28

I'm not sure - I will flash an updated version later and post my logs.

as bernd says make sure you are undocked at the time as well.

Hi sbdags,

I succeeded through watching several Youtube video's in which I stumbled upon a failure of mine: I had not put USB debugging on because this option is hided in JB 4.3 under several taps on Buil Info. And I learned that Asus has a recovery restorer installed in Jelly Bean every time you reboot into the Bootloader / Android unless you reboot into CWM by hand after you flash CWM then CWM will take care of that.

Now I am wondering which ROM to flash: CROMi-6 or CROMi-kk ? Please advice.

Regards,

JOTX10.

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi sbdags,

I succeeded through watching several Youtube video's in which I stumbled upon a failure of mine: I had not put USB debugging on because this option is hided in JB 4.3 under several taps on Buil Info. And I learned that Asus has a recovery restorer installed in Jelly Bean every time you reboot into the Bootloader / Android unless you reboot into CWM by hand after you flash CWM then CWM will take care of that.

Regards,

JOTX10.

Ah usb debugging! Good catch. Flash CROMi-X 6.1 if you want a premium experience. Flash CROMBi-kk if you like betas and bugs ;)

Reactions: JOTX10

devianticos

Jul 21, 2015
Remap custom key "Browser"

Thanks for this valuable research.

I want to change the custom key which starts directly the browser.

this is the orignial text in the file for this key "key 150 EXPLORER WAKE UNLOCK"

I guess I have to change the word "Explorer", but what is the word to put in, so that it starts the chrome browser?

Can it be so easy that I substitude the original line with the following: "key 150 CHROME WAKE UNLOCK"

What is the correct way?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: I try my best to produce valid answers, but if you have no idea what you're doing, don't do it.

Terms and Definitions

NVflash / APX mode
    This is the lowest level of software that can talk to an Nvidia Tegra device. Basically this is the Holy Grail of memory modification, which can even fix a damaged bootloader.
    To use it, one boots the tablet with [Vol +] + [Power]. This will lead to the PC detecting an "APX" device. The screen stays blank.
    This is no working solution for anything yet, as not only there is no leaked NVflash binary yet, but also the communication is encrypted via an unique 128bit AES key. This key is at no stage accessible, but can be used to encrypt data during boot. This is where the wheelie tool for previous transformers was of help. The Communication itself happens via a protocol called nv3p, which actually is open source, but as long as the key is unreachable, that's not a lot of use. NOTE: I will create an extra post with a lot more details about this.

Fastboot
    The Android Bootloader.
    This is the essential part of software which loads Android/a Recovery image/rooting ramfs/etc.
    This is the most delicate part in the Android boot process, as fastboot is the lowest level of communication we have so far. In other words: The only way to fix a damaged bootloader would be NVflash, which is not yet available for this device.
    Generally the Bootloader is locked as a method to prevent unauthorized access to data stored on the device. A locked Bootloader means no Fastboot.

Bootloader unlocking
    To gain access to fastboot devices, the Bootloader needs to be unlocked. This can be as simple as installing an APK provided by the manufacturer or running "fastboot unlock".
    Unlocking the Bootloader always leads to three resulting actions: Fastboot now works, all data on the device is wiped, the device's warranty is now void.
    Unlocking the bootloader via unlock app can require you to have internet access and a valid google account. This can be problematic in the case of one-time-passwords, as the normal password will possibly not work (and you'll wonder why the heck it doesn't run).

Bootloader locking
    This is (at least currently) not possible. Warranty void remains permanent.

RamFS
    Simple file system in a file, which gets loaded into RAM. We use this for rooting.

Boot image
    A file generally called "boot.img". This contains the kernel.

Recovery image
    A partition image that contains a bootable linux kernel and file system, which server the purpose of creating and restoring nandroid backups and perform related tasks.

Brick - general
    A device with messed up software, not being able to boot let alone perform any higher task other than being a brick.

Soft brick
    A device not booting, which still responds to fastboot queries.

Hard brick / Brick
    Fastboot doesn't work anymore. Maybe a visible boot loop, maybe nothing. The only point in which this differs from scrap is the ability to get into APX mode.
    Chances are, there will be a way to use NVflash to fix this sometime.

Unbrick
    Fixing a bricked device. Currently only soft bricked devices can be unbricked.

Root
    General term for having super user abilities on a linux powered device. This can be used for reading/writing/executing restricted files, modifying things, loading custom ROMs etc.
    Also having Root can mean "running with scissors", as there's not much left to prevent you from deleting important files and bricking your device.
    Remember: Having Root is a very useful device, but with power comes responsibility. Also there is Android malware, which specifically targets rooted devices.

Rooting
    The process of gaining Root. In early methods this generally starts with unlocking the device's Bootloader, then booting a Kernel with a purposely prepared ramfs to install and modify certain files.
    As always, unlocking the Bootloader means all data will be wiped. By chance at some point someone will figure out a way to do this without unlocking.

ROM
    A stock or custom Android ROM image. This contains everything needed for a running system. Custom ROMs contain tweaks, themes, improvements, styles, preloaded apps etc. Also more often than not, a load of bloat ware will be removed.

Bloat ware
    Apps nobody needs/many fail to understand what they actually do/bring new ways to crash your device/sniff your precious data/revive long fixed and forgotten security leaks/the manufacturer adds to promote sales ("hey look, we've got an app for that pre installed").
    Most importantly, cannot be removed from your device without Root.

Stock
    A mint Android ROM, just like what the device gets shipped with.

Guides

Rooting
    Requirements: Currently none
    Compatible versions: anything > 10.14.1.47
    Method: Booting custom Kernel and ramfs
    Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2516215

Recovery
    Creator: Drgravy
    Version: 6.0.3.7
    Requirements: Bootloader <= 10.14.1.47 (this will not work with 10.26.1.7. Trying to do so will not work, but still boot Android as usual.)
    Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2524401

Recovery
    Creator: lpdunwell
    Version: 6.0.4.5
    Requirements: Bootloader >= 10.26.1.7
    Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2556944

Various information

Hardware assembly date
    On the box, rear side label.

Partition information / Unbricking
    Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2546941

Keyboard key remapping

The physical keyboard has custom keys, with functions of debatable value. Here's how to remap them to suit your needs.
    Note: This also works for other ASUS Transformers.
    Warning: Backup any file you attempt to edit!
    Method: The keyboard mapping is described in /system/usr/keylayout/asuspec.kl. The structure is pretty straight forward.
    After saving the file, reboot the device.
    Code:
    Key:    Function:   Key number:    Text:
    lock    Delete      142            "key 142 FORWARD_DEL WAKE UNLOCK"
    search  ALT         217            "key 217 ALT_LEFT WAKE UNLOCK"

HDMI configuration

The HDMI resolution can be adjusted. This can be handy under certain circumstances, although results may vary.
    Method: Via terminal; disable frame buffer 1, change resolution, enable frame buffer 1
    Info: To get a list of valid settings, run "cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes".
    This will reset at reboot.
    This example enforces 1920x1200 @ 59Hz, in my case to force a HP Compaq monitor to keep running (without this it'll go to sleep for whatever reason).
    Code:
    echo 0 > /sys/class/graphics/fb1/device/enable
    echo "D:1920x1200p-59" > /sys/class/graphics/fb1/mode
    echo 1 > /sys/class/graphics/fb1/device/enable

Teardown

Teardown with two images and a brief description of the process: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2564143

Q&A

Q: "I have never rooted anything before. Can you send me some fairy dust to fix my bricked tablet if anything goes wrong?"
    A: No. And if you are not absolutely sure of what you're doing, there's a fair chance you'll mess it up. Been there, done that.

Q: "What are known causes of bricked TF701?"
    A:
    • Failed upgrade
    • Flashing incompatible boot.img and blob
    • Flashing something other than blob to staging
    • Removal of important files after rooting

Q: "I had a quick look at your instructions for xxx and I don't understand..."
    A: Tough luck.

Q: "I re-read your instructions for xxx, searched the forum and I still cannot understand..."
    A: Check if there's a matching thread. If there isn't create one with a diagnostically conclusive title. Use as much detail as possible.

Final notes

I hope this helps. As always, updates will follow.
    Want to see your tutorial/guide/etc. here? Send me a detailed PM with the subject "TF701 Q&A extension".
    You can help making this even better!
    Found a mistake or believe I'm wrong about something? Let's discuss it.
    Has this helped you? Consider clicking thanks.
    :D he is retired .... Doesnt reply to any request ...

Huh? Wut?????:confused::eek::confused:

Considering this is the first "Q & A" post, I will sticky it.

Provided the OP updates and maintains it.

MD
    Huh? Wut?????:confused::eek::confused:

Considering this is the first "Q & A" post, I will sticky it.

Provided the OP updates and maintains it.

MD
    go for it, it's sinking...

cheers
    Hi sbdags,

Regards,

JOTX10.

Ah usb debugging! Good catch. Flash CROMi-X 6.1 if you want a premium experience. Flash CROMBi-kk if you like betas and bugs ;)