[GUIDE] Install apk without Filemanager/Internet

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 4612619

Yesterday i flashed a custom ROM and it didnt came with a File Manager installed with it.
Only way to Install apk was to connect to internet and download one File Manager.
While searching foe alternative methods i found 3 ways to install an apk without a FileManager or internet. :cowboy:

So far i've founded 3 methods

ADB

1.Copy the apk to an easily accessible directory eg. D:\name.apk

2.In ADB type adb install D:\name.apk

Done!

Terminal Emulator

For this method you should have terminal emulator installed on your device

1.Open terminal emulator

2.Type su

3.Change directory to SD card cd sdcard/or your apk folder

4.Type ls to see the list of files in your SD card

5.Type pm install name.apk

Done!

Browser

1.Open browser

2.Type file:///sdcard/name.apk

3.Done!

If you have any problems installing ask here. :good:

If you know any other method tell me! :cool:

CZroe

Nov 13, 2011
Newnan, GA
Another method here. :D

But first, some back story:
I integrated a system update using Titanium Backup on my coworker's tablet which broke the stock Google keyboard. This wouldn't have been a problem if poking around the recovery menu didn't also stupidly wipe the thing without so much as a confirmation. Yes, "Vol Up" = "Make Selection" instead of "Move Up" and there was no confirmation prompt so I accidentally picked "Wipe eMMC" and was immediately greeted with "Formatting eMMC." All I wanted to do was look for some cache clearing options and pressed Vol Up to *gasp* see if I could move UP the menu (Vol Down moves down and I expected power/lock to be "Make Selection"). :(

Anyway, I had made a backup with Titanium Backup Pro when I first rooted his tablet (Verizon Ellipsis QMV7A) but it wasn't much use without a file manager and there was no way to use the browser or Play Store without a keyboard. There's also no ROM available, stock or otherwise. :(

The fix:
I didn't have a USB OTG adapter or a Bluetooth keyboard, but I did have my Galaxy Note 3 and the tablet did have Bluetooth. :D I paired them without needing the keyboard and initiated a file transfer to send a keyboard APK. It worked beautifully! I enabled alternate sources for APK installs, installed the keyboard, installed Titanium Backup, and was good to go! Of course, I then integrated it and a file manage into the ROM with Titanium Backup Pro. ;)

click70386

Jun 16, 2015
you rock..!

Yesterday i flashed a custom ROM and it didnt came with a File Manager installed with it.
Only way to Install apk was to connect to internet and download one File Manager.
While searching foe alternative methods i found 3 ways to install an apk without a FileManager or internet. :cowboy:

ADB

Terminal Emulator

Browser

awesome..!! through browser is fastest way,,,! thx very much ,,i really appreciate that ..

Aciago

Apr 26, 2012
Villavicencio
Bluetooth keyboard

Thank you thank you thank you... I do have a Bluetooth keyboard but I didn't think on it until I read this... and my problem was, of course, reinstall the keyboard apk...

The fix:
I didn't have a USB OTG adapter or a Bluetooth keyboard, but I did have my Galaxy Note 3 and the tablet did have Bluetooth. :D I paired them without needing the keyboard and initiated a file transfer to send a keyboard APK. It worked beautifully! I enabled alternate sources for APK installs, installed the keyboard, installed Titanium Backup, and was good to go! Of course, I then integrated it and a file manage into the ROM with Titanium Backup Pro. ;)

Reactions: CZroe

Aryeean

Jul 10, 2016
Hi from France

(1 - sorry for my english then
2 - sorry too if the paths I indicate are not very accurately named in english as my phone menus are in french
3 - I did what follows with success on my rooted Kitkat (build .77) Z3 Compact)

!!! FOR XPERIA OWNERS ONLY AS FLASHTOOL IS A DEDICATED TOOL FOR THESE DEVICES !!!

So if you've got Flashtool installed on your computer, you can also install APK's without the Internet nor a file manager.
All you need to do is:
- on your phone, select "USB debug" mode in the "Developer options" menu (if not activated, tap 7 times on the "About the phone" line at the bottom of the "Settings" menu),
- still on your phone, allow the installation of unknown app in "Settings" > "Security" or "Settings" > "App" (depending of your Android version),
- connect your phone to your PC,
- then on your computer, launch Flashtool,
- once your phone is recognized, click on APK Installer (curved right arrow button: 5th button from the left),
- select the .apk file you need (notice that if stored on your phone, you can select the one you want -click ctrl for selecting several apps ; but if located on your PC, it seems that Flashtool won't let you choose the one you want and will install all the .apk files existing in the folder where they've been downloaded).

That's it, your app should be installed and working.
Not tested on my Mac (did it on my PC under XP SP3), but I guess it should be working all the same.
And as I said above, I did this on a rooted Z3C, so I don't know if it would work on an unrooted phone.
Hope this has been helpful.
Thank you to Joe from the french forum Phonandroid.

Areeyan

Reactions: tongan01

kumar raja

Feb 6, 2015
Is There any way to install apk without root and without adb using terminal..........

Is There any way to install apk without root and without adb using terminal.......... like pm install package.apk

Like this can we install apk by terminal without root and without adb

ADB

Terminal Emulator

Browser

#neil

Nov 20, 2017
No adb no browser nothing needed on this case .. You should be having the default- Downloads app right?
1 Go-to settings_storage_explore
2. Find the apk file use the copy option to copy it to downloads folder(cm 12 legacy xperia not able to open apk from this explore option)
3 launch the downloads and which is there as default
4 and open the apk from it

I found this more easy.

Last edited:

SaigeZero

Jan 26, 2018
I accidentally uninstalled my file manager and I'm planing to do a factory reset with my phone but if i do so I won't be able to install apps and my alternate es file explorer cause I don't have a file manager... So can you help me on how to re-install my apps after my factory reset?

lovehumanity

Jul 13, 2008
Hi from France

2 - sorry too if the paths I indicate are not very accurately named in english as my phone menus are in french

!!! FOR XPERIA OWNERS ONLY AS FLASHTOOL IS A DEDICATED TOOL FOR THESE DEVICES !!!

So if you've got Flashtool installed on your computer, you can also install APK's without the Internet nor a file manager.
All you need to do is:
- on your phone, select "USB debug" mode in the "Developer options" menu (if not activated, tap 7 times on the "About the phone" line at the bottom of the "Settings" menu),
- still on your phone, allow the installation of unknown app in "Settings" > "Security" or "Settings" > "App" (depending of your Android version),
- once your phone is recognized, click on APK Installer (curved right arrow button: 5th button from the left),
- select the .apk file you need (notice that if stored on your phone, you can select the one you want -click ctrl for selecting several apps ; but if located on your PC, it seems that Flashtool won't let you choose the one you want and will install all the .apk files existing in the folder where they've been downloaded).

Not tested on my Mac (did it on my PC under XP SP3), but I guess it should be working all the same.
And as I said above, I did this on a rooted Z3C, so I don't know if it would work on an unrooted phone.

Areeyan

Thanx.. Tried to install an APK via this method. Here are the Results :(
10/015/2019 22:15:52 - INFO - Starting phone detection
10/016/2019 22:16:02 - INFO - Device connected with USB debugging on
10/016/2019 22:16:03 - INFO - Connected device : SonyEricson X10
10/016/2019 22:16:03 - INFO - Installed version of busybox : N/A
10/016/2019 22:16:03 - INFO - Android version : 2.1-update1 / kernel version : 2.6.29 / Platform : 32bits / Build number : 2.0.1.B.0.19
10/016/2019 22:16:03 - INFO - Root access denied
10/018/2019 22:18:43 - INFO - Installing C:\Users\Bukhari\Desktop\mixplorer.apk
10/018/2019 22:18:50 - ERROR - [ 5%] /data/local/tmp/mixplorer.apk
10/018/2019 22:18:50 - INFO - APK Installation finished

fuzzynco

Oct 29, 2008
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy S9
Can not install on a new HD10(2017) 5.6.4.0?

Code:
root@suez:/data/local/tmp # pm install DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk
pm install DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk
        pkg: DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_URI]
1|root@suez:/data/local/tmp #

ls -l says:
-rw-rw-rw- shell    shell      296233 2019-08-16 13:05 DeviceSoftwareOTA.apk

I successfully installed mtk-su and used it to install SuperSU.
I tried to install this and got Invalid URI?

What am I doing wrong?

Fuzzy

SurBhee

Aug 17, 2019
"Brother Support for Printing Range
Brother Printer Technical Support Phone Number may be provided over the phone by dialing – Brother Printer Phone Number (+1)-800-201-4179."

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 4612619

ADB

1.Copy the apk to an easily accessible directory eg. D:\name.apk

2.In ADB type adb install D:\name.apk

Done!

Terminal Emulator

1.Open terminal emulator

2.Type su

3.Change directory to SD card cd sdcard/or your apk folder

4.Type ls to see the list of files in your SD card

5.Type pm install name.apk

Done!

Browser

1.Open browser

2.Type file:///sdcard/name.apk

3.Done!

you rock..!

ADB

Terminal Emulator

Browser

awesome..!! through browser is fastest way,,,! thx very much ,,i really appreciate that ..
    Bluetooth keyboard

Thank you thank you thank you... I do have a Bluetooth keyboard but I didn't think on it until I read this... and my problem was, of course, reinstall the keyboard apk...

The fix:
    Hi from France

All you need to do is:

Areeyan